• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony creates custom PS3 hardware for PlayStation Now

Hanmik

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-sony-creates-custom-ps3-for-playstation-now

Sony has developed brand new PS3 hardware to power its PlayStation Now streaming service, revealed earlier this month at CES in Las Vegas. Sources who have been briefed on the project suggest that the new PlayStation 3 consists of eight custom console units built into a single rack server. It's the new PlayStation hardware that everyone will have access to, but few will actually see.

Initially, Digital Foundry has learned that Sony experimented by placing standard retail units into datacentres, but plans to use this for the actual PlayStation Now service were shelved for a number of reasons. For starters there's the sheer space requirement, along with power efficiency issues, as even the most recent PS3 hardware can still draw up to 80W from the mains. Sony's engineers were able to mitigate both issues by shrinking the equivalent of eight PS3s onto a single motherboard, housed in a slimline server cabinet.

The second reason for the all-new PlayStation 3 server design is that it allows Sony to make hardware changes to the PS3 configuration that claw back a few vital milliseconds here and there to lower end-to-end latency.

much more at the link.,.

Gb493Or.jpg

Lol at the suggestion of swapping out bluetooth control inputs. Why would anyone think they'd use bluetooth for a server to talk to itself?
Maybe they could remove the local physical controller that's controlled by a pair of hydraulically operated robot hands too!

kadotsu

Banned
Sorry, I'm dumb. What does this mean?

It means that they don't have to translate the PS3 software code to a different architecture for PS NOW which should make it easier to bring the whole PS3 library to it. There's still licensing, though, which often destroys these services.

DieH@rd

Banned
I expected that they will stick to PS3 hardware. Its good that they have created custom solutions for server use.

Portugeezer

It means that they don't have to translate the PS3 software code to a different architecture for PS NOW which should make it easier to bring the whole PS3 library to it. There's still licensing, though, which often destroys these services.

So a game with shitty framerate drops would still suffer from shitty framerate?

kyser73

Sony's engineers were able to mitigate both issues by shrinking the equivalent of eight PS3s onto a single motherboard, housed in a slimline server cabinet.

I want one of these for GT multiscreen purposes.

A far cry from the racks of consumer PS3s I remember seeing in a picture about Warhawk's dedicated server rollout.

Bigger news, though, is the combined U.S./Canada launch. THANK GOD. It was easy to assume Canada would launch at the same time but it's nice to have confirmation.

drgambit

Banned
Does Sony not give a shit about Japan anymore? There's almost half a year between releases, and usually Japan was always the first to get anything. I don't like this...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Do these run PS3 games at >60fps, maybe?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So i guess they will have a limited amount of available "streaming slots" then. They can't go over the current capacity since each streaming game would consume one PS3. They are gonna need to make a shitload of these... maybe a quarter million at least for US? They also got to distribute it around datacenters for maximum latency performance.

Oemenia

Banned
Whats happening with PS2 games though, having a system for each user doesnt seem very economically viable. Even an emulator on powerful PCs seems more doable.

esterk

Why the long rollout to everyone past US/Can? It seems like it would be pretty easy to bring to other areas relatively quickly.

kyser73

Does Sony not give a shit about Japan anymore? There's almost half a year between releases, and usually Japan was always the first to get anything. I don't like this...

The global market has changed. Japan has, largely, switched from home consoles to dedicated portables and most of the big Japanese devs struggled to make the move into HD-esque gaming with the PS3.

The US and EU are both more than twice the size of the Japanese market based on PS3 sales - why would you launch stuff in a smaller market?

esterk said:
Why the long rollout to everyone past US/Can? It seems like it would be pretty easy to bring to other areas relatively quickly.

It might seem that way, but it wouldn't. The US telecoms network might be fragmented to an extent, but the EU has wildly differing infrastructure capacity and networks across it's members states, differing rules on how telecoms are governed (which is a massive failure of the single market commissioners) as well as a massive array of ISPs and other providers who Sony will need to negotiate with.

Even rolling it out in the UK, Germany and France would mean having to deal with 3 separate national regulators, at least 12 major ISPs and probably >20 smaller ones about traffic management, and these are countries with relatively smooth-running bureaucracies - trying to get this stuff approved in somewhere like Italy or Greece isn't going to be a quick or easy process (and I mean no disrespect to any Greek or Italian posters, nor that I think OfCom & Bis in the UK are especially fleet-footed when it comes to stuff like this).

Ocelott

I feel like this is Sony's way of punishing Japan owners for not buying the Vita.

EVIL

Sony's engineers were able to mitigate both issues by shrinking the equivalent of eight PS3s onto a single motherboard, housed in a slimline server cabinet.
Those Sony engineers are magicians

well if they didn't care they probably wouldn't release it there lol

care less? probably

suedester

Banned
Not quite sure why people are so shocked at a early 2015 launch for Europe. Sony always said it would launch later than the US and considering its not fully launching until Q3 2014 in N. America, early 2015 was always a best case scenario as far as i could see.

daveo42

Banned
Makes sense to use PS3 hardware to run the actual games on, but now I'm curious if they plan on running separate servers just for PS2 games or end up emulating them instead.

I might use it for any hard to find or games I'm not sure I really want to own, but I'll be holding on to my PS3 and using that for the majority of its library.

Dahaka

What's the big deal with 2015?

There's so much to play right now across many platforms. I don't see the problem with waiting a year.

Dr.Cynic

Wonder will it be possible to use a US PSN account to access it (beta included), or will you need a VPN thus probably making it far to laggy to even bother.

Top Bottom