• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony creates custom PS3 hardware for PlayStation Now

sono

2015 for EU, looks like my triple is good for this year.

US has agreed to beta test for EU again ?

BKK

Gb493Or.jpg

2015 for UK when UK has a far higher population density, better broadband infrastructure than US, and every major ISP offers uncapped plans (which most people opt for), and one of SCEE's excuse for launching later is that they have to make deals with lots of ISPs? Why would they need to make deals with UK ISPs that all offer unlimited packages? Really how many servers do they need to cover 90% of UK population compared to US? I'm sure it will be significantly less than the 1/6th population would suggest.

US with the worst, EU worse or similar to South Korea/Japan, depends on cities and countries.

US is utterly terrible for sure but EU and Japan/S Korea aren't really that comparable internet infrastructure wise

http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/

S Korea is 4th, Japan is 5th. Average is 45.28 Mbps versus a probable average of around 25 - 26 Mbps across the various countries

You have a few EU countries that post great results but the average of the EU is going to be far below the average of Japan/S Korea

I guess you could roll out EU in stages? Romania 1st!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
My 120mb connection is ready for this.....wait no it's not, not until 2015 apparently.

Mr Swine

Banned
BOOO Sony, I thought EU was your stronghold? Now everyone will sell their PS4 to buy Xbones!

well not really, still sad that we need to wait a whole year for this, sigh :(

Josh7289

Curious that US & Canada is the first launch market. Maybe it's partly because Gaikai is an American company and their infrastructure may be strongest in the US & Canada?

ArmageddB

Curious that US & Canada is the first launch market. Maybe it's partly because Gaikai is an American company and their infrastructure may be strongest in the US & Canada?

It could be because this is where they face the biggest competition from the Xbox One.

krumble

Shame us Eu gamers are left out in the cold..
I'd be interested to know how many U these servers are and how many they plan having in a rack, just my curiosity though, no other reason

I'm surprised at the 2015 release for EU. I thought they, along with Asia, have faster access to Internet than all of America? It's even more surprising that nothing in Asia is even on the roadmap like wow. I get that they are moving away from the traditional home console but if everything is mobile for them, this service works with the Vita and tablets/smartphones as well, so why not mention them? This is weird.

Withnail

I'm surprised at the 2015 release for EU. I thought they, along with Asia, have faster access to Internet than all of America? It's even more surprising that nothing in Asia is even on the roadmap like wow. I get that they are moving away from the traditional home console but if everything is mobile for them, this service works with the Vita and tablets/smartphones as well, so why not mention them? This is weird.

The problem in EU is not download speeds, the problem is building the network of data centres. Doing something like this is exponentially more difficult in the SCEE region purely through the number of countries involved.

Raonak

Banned
EU 2015 launch :(

Once again, EU is the red-headed stepchild. ;(

More like EU isn't one, or two countries. it's over 30 of them. It's gonna require a lot more resources to make data centers across europe. especially if you include Auz/Nz which is at the other side of the world.

If anything, it'll probably come even later for us in Oceania.

2015?! are you freaking kidding me? looks likeit might be Q4 when i buy a PS4 then! i was expecting a close global launch like the PS4 itself!

pukko

Neo Member
Same way they do now with PSN PS2 games, software emulation on the PS3. They're not required to release every title, there's plenty that work already and quite a few big ones that have had HD editions on PS3 anyway.
To prove this, more are available via homebrew:
http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/PS2_Classics_Emulator_Compatibility_List

At first I was convinced that they'd use x86 hardware for PS2 emulation, but I realize that it might actually be cheaper to just use ps3's instead. What could the manufacturing cost for one ps3 without bluray and (most likely) no hdd be? $50? I don't think you can't build a x86 system capable of emulating PS2 that cheap unless you do and extremely custom design

It's also better with regards to resource utilization if one can use the same hardware for PS1-3 streaming.

SkylineRKR

Europe has always been a problem but it can't be Sony's fault. More like a few dozen different countries with different rules and infrastructures.

Netherlands got Netflix like last September. I believe Belgium still doesn't have it. Its just the way it is.

2015?! are you freaking kidding me? looks likeit might be Q4 when i buy a PS4 then! i was expecting a close global launch like the PS4 itself!

IF it was a worldwide release then you would be complaining that Sony is incompetent with server issues. I take Sony knows what they are doing when making these plans

Top Bottom