• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony creates custom PS3 hardware for PlayStation Now

Zoe

Why the long rollout to everyone past US/Can? It seems like it would be pretty easy to bring to other areas relatively quickly.
Licensing + the sheer volume of having to support all the different versions for each country is my guess.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Makes sense to use PS3 hardware to run the actual games on, but now I'm curious if they plan on running separate servers just for PS2 games or end up emulating them instead.

I might use it for any hard to find or games I'm not sure I really want to own, but I'll be holding on to my PS3 and using that for the majority of its library.

The PS2 (and PS1) games will be emulated.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Does Sony not give a shit about Japan anymore? There's almost half a year between releases, and usually Japan was always the first to get anything. I don't like this...

What's more ridiculous is that they still treat Europe as a second third-class citizen despite the fact that Europe basically carried them through the beginning and middle of PS3 gen

I wish Sony would build hardware backwards compatibility into these. Seems like it would make sense if they are trying to use PlayStation Now as a service for their entire library. Maybe it's cost prohibitive though.

Withnail

Licensing + the sheer volume of having to support all the different versions for each country is my guess.

Nah, more likely that it's bloody difficult and expensive to build a network of bespoke data centres across the dozens of countries covered by the SCEE region.

Minions

Does Sony not give a shit about Japan anymore? There's almost half a year between releases, and usually Japan was always the first to get anything. I don't like this...

It's so awful, that 5~ month delay. They will have to wait and end up getting a product that works properly as opposed to the USA where people will people for the service and it will be up and down for the first 2~3 months. TBH I'm curious what can/will happen when millions of people are using the service at a single time. Hoping the Vita TV comes out this year, whenever Vita PSnow support begins.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Very interesting. I had been asking myself if they would build custom PS3-hardware for servers or port the most successful PS3 games to commodity PCs. AFAIK, Guerilla Games or Naughty Dog said that they developed and debugged PS3 games partially on PCs using a framework that adapts SPU-code. I had supposed that they'll follow the latter approach, but apparently the performance of "simulating" SPUs is not good enough.

drproton

This is what expected, and feared. Most PS3 games already have significant input latency locally. Add network latency and it could turn into an insurmountable problem.

DieH@rd

Banned
I always expected Sony Gaikai to arrive in Europe during 2015. Sony mentioned several times that EU deployment will not be easy.

Bundy

Banned
Protip for Japan: Buy more consoles next time. Maybe then, you will be one of the first to receive nice things.

Minions

Is it just me or do they take EU for granted some times.

It is entirely possible the rollout of servers/infrastructure is more complicated in the EU. I know they tend to quote licensing issues etc. generally when they are rolling out services. To be honest they were never going to be able to launch globally. They need money to fund further rollouts of the service, which is likely why they are staggered the way that they are.

kick51

Banned
What's more ridiculous is that they still treat Europe as a second third-class citizen despite the fact that Europe basically carried them through the beginning and middle of PS3 gen

well, they don't pick their marketing + timing based on friendship, loyalty, and which region is a true bro.

MercuryLS

Banned
gb493orooxb0.jpg

soldier_is_m__bison_by_darksora01-d4dlu67.gif

curb

Banned
Woah..the servers are actual PS3s. I was sure it be some virtual thingamabob.

I would imagine that it's more cost effective to create a reconfigured server version of the PS3 with Gaikai built in than to have a server instance powerful enough to emulate the PS3 hardware and cell processor. That's just a guess on my part though.

jmdajr

I would imagine that it's more cost effective to create a reconfigured server version of the PS3 with Gaikai built in than to have a server instance powerful enough to emulate the PS3 hardware and cell processor. That's just a guess on my part though.

Must be the case.

Kinda awesome. The servers are almost literally 8 ps3s duck taped together. I wonder what kinda of heat those things give off. My fat 60 gig can heat an entire room.

Dachande

Edit ^^^ Yep

I was never planning to use this anyway, so I don't care about the 2015 launch, although it does seem excessive.

I'd love to see one of those custom PS3*8 units though, they're probably quite interesting...

DBT85

I was actually wondering how they did it, so they crammed the equivalent of 8 PS3 in this:

64040_1.JPG

That's a 2U unit. They may well have managed to her that it into a 1U unit, hell plenty of others are. So half that height.

Just as I predicted, in EU it will be only 2015. CALLED IT:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=96338729&highlight=#post96338729
And it will likely be just for some EU countries, not all.
Another thing we are learning now is the "Partner Devices" in Q4 2014. That means that not just Bravias are getting the service, other manufacturer TV's too.

We already knew it wasn't just going to be bravias. They said that at CES.

People should realize that it takes a considerable amount of time and money to stand up these data centers and that Europe isn't exactly a small place.

Man

They're actually have a concise plan for EU?

Always thought it would be one of those 'when we get around to it' deals.

DieH@rd

Banned
At least, for the first time since the dawn of modern mankind... Sony managed to release home console in EU in a original launch window without months of delays.

They're probably prioritizing based on where their PSN subscriber numbers are greatest, plus potential demand based on services like Netflix.

Big companies should start, if they haven't already, pushing in EU for the creation of a market with shared laws and contracts for entertainment products, services and whatnot. The more they wait the more they'll realize they can't continue to release their streaming services in only Germany\France\UK.

I just want the cool features and services US gets *sheds tears*

Top Bottom