• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best JRPG of the 360/PS3/Wii generation?

Gaaraz

JRPGs used to be by far my favourite ever genre, and games such as Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy X, Skies of Arcadia, Tales of Symphonia and Dragon Quest VIII are some of the best games I've ever played.

Yet since then (specifically since Dragon Quest VIII) I don't think I've enjoyed a single one, though arguably didn't give the games I tried (Tales of Vesperia, Final Fantasy XIII and Xenoblade Chronicles) as much time as they deserved.

So, GAF, what were your favourite JRPGs of the last generation?

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Visuals of Ghibli mixed with a classic JRPG styled adventure.

Xenoblade Chronicles comes close second.

GulAtiCa

Xenoblade. Just about everything about it from the wide open world, huge battles, story to 80 hour insane gameplay just made me absolutely love it!

MYE

xenoblade_smoother_attract_by_alo81-d6njhz3.gif

Lime

Possibly Valkyira Chonicles. Amazing art direction, innovative hybrid of genres, decent characters.

If not that, then Resonance of Fate for its steampunk aesthetics and cinematic turnbased combat.

Definitely Xenoblade. Give it another try if possible.

If you can't live without a classic turn based battle system, try Lost Odyssey (360). It's the game that comes closest to FFX imo.

If we're only counting those consoles and not handhelds, my vote goes to Xenoblade Chronicles.

I liked the entire cast, it had wonderful world which I loved exploring, it had a lot of content and it was simply fun. I also thought the music was great. There's not a lot of bad things I can say bad about it, and the parts I didn't like all that much were trivial in the grand scheme of things.

Effect

Xenoblade Chronicles.

The Last Story (Wii) and Lost Odyssey (360) are high on my list as well. I still need to finish Radiant Historia (DS). I kept getting pulled away from it but from what I remember it was pretty great as well. Stomps all over a game like Dragon Quest IX I feel.

MYE

This thread title could have been best racing game, and the first post probably still would have been someone trying to say Dark Souls.

I hear tales that your sex appeal increases with each time you namedrop the Souls games. +2 charisma if you do it in unrelated threads and still kinda get away with it.

Dark Souls for president of earth!

Cornbread78

So many places to go with this,

- ARPG has to be Demon/Dark Souls from what everyone says
- WRPG has to be Mass Effect from what Shinobi says
- jRPG Could be FF XIII, Ni No Kuni, or White Knight Chronicles

Are we seperating aRPG and a straight classic jRPG?

Sacrimoni

Banned
If we exclude the ds/psp then xenoblade by a country mile. Ni no kuni is the most boring game ever made, and none of the tales games come close

Jucksalbe

Banned
If we don't count handhelds, it's Atelier Totori. Or I could say Trails in the Sky, since it technically had a PS3 version even if it wasn't released in English.

Hyunashi

Ni no Kuni then Xenoblade
but the new Persona will top them all hopefully!
. Last gen was terrible, was sad and was painful. This gen is shaping up well though.

Xenoblade for me. Sadly not a great deal of competition this gen. Vesperia was pretty good too. Need to check out TLS properly.

Some great stuff on hanhelds though - Radiant Historia, Wayfarer of Time, TWEWY, etc.

- jRPG Could be FF XIII, Ni No Kuni, or White Knight Chronicles

I don't think it could really

Persona 4! It's on PS2, but it came out during that gen.

Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma might be Japanese and they might be RPGs, but they are not JRPGs.

Top Bottom