• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial final fantasy opinions?

ungalo

I don't know if it's controversial.

I like every FF that i played spin off included, except FF15 and Crisis Core.

FF15 has an amazing ending but it's really the only main episode that i can't replay.

Last edited:
Mine is 16 is dogshit in story and art... I'm sorry but 10 spoiled me with the Godtier story quests and characters; nothing in the ones after 10 clicked with me on those points. Still loved 12 but despise the story setting and characters. I like 16 a lot but I want depth man.... why is every weapon and armor just a effin stat stick; no unique features.... But I can't say I'm not having a lot of fun...

Maybe I just need to actually watch the cutscenes but I try to pay attention to the main plot... Maybe my impression is that it should be panned just like MGSV was despite its great gameplay.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
I've accepted that I'm not in Square Enix target audience, and I'm out once the 7 remake trilogy is out and done with.

Of course they'll drag me back in with more remakes..

Sad Miss You GIF by La Guarimba Film Festival

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Actually, it's funny that you say that because the opinion I got most push back from was FFXII, that it is a terrible FF. I guess it's a love/hate relationship.

I have come to respect FFXII a little, but I will never recommend it to someome else. In fact I always tell people to think twice before buying it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Any FF game that doesn't have GILGAMESH in it is trash.

And CLASH ON THE BIG BRIDGE is the only good FF music in the franchise.

Hero_Select

Actually, it's funny that you say that because the opinion I got most push back from was FFXII, that it is a terrible FF. I guess it's a love/hate relationship.

I have come to respect FFXII a little, but I will never recommend it to someome else. In fact I always tell people to think twice before buying it.
I bought Dragon Quest 8 on PS2 because it came with a demo disc for 12.

I didnt like it. I bought the game on release anyway. Didnt like it.

Bought the Zodiac Age on Switch. Didnt like it.

I've given the game plenty of chances and I just could never get into it. I hate the combat, Vaan is a terrible character with his stupid face and painted on abs and the license board system is lame.

Oh and in the PS2 version of the game if you opened a random unmarked treasure chest early on because why the fuck wouldnt you, the game locked you out of getting an endgame weapon. lol.

LordCBH

13 and the Royal Edition of XV are decent games. But leveling Gladio’s survival skill can eat a whole bag of dicks.

I’ll die on this bill.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Final Fantasy 5 is better than 6. 6 dumbed down the gameplay and reduced the narrative to something more fragmented and episodic.

Final Fantasy 1 is real lucky it launched on the more popular platform because Phantasy Star came out the same day and was way better.

I kinda like the stupid Bromantic Road Trip theme of 15.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Yay, this thread looks fun.

- Final Fantasy I wasn't a ripoff of Dungeons and Dragons, it was a love letter.

- Final Fantasy II is the worst Final Fantasy game.

- Final Fantasy IV had a fantastic story and scope, but it doesn't take nearly enough heat for all the bait and switch character deaths.

- Final Fantasy VII didn't age poorly, there are just too many gen z 15 second attention span assholes deciding what's Law. It's a Super Nintendo game on a PS1. It's a zebra released in a tiny twinkle of Time where the transition between 2D and 3D gaming was new and no one knew how to translate their games across that gap.

- Final Fantasy VIII is great, and people who bitch about Drawing spells are the types who play ten minutes of a game and decide they don't like feature x without playing long enough to find out whether or not there's a solution y to their problem. Nope, IT JUST SUCK IT TOO MUCH OF NOT THE SAME BAWWW.

- Final Fantasy XIII is a better game than Final Fantasy XIII-2.

- Lightning Returns is a better game than both FFXIII and FFXIII-2.

- Final Fantasy XV was a decent game, put together like shit.

- Tetsuya Nomura isn't a crazy, coked out super villain intent on destroying FF. He's just a kooky manga artist that got the keys to the toyshop. All his writing is very convoluted, spiritual, and esoteric, and most of his work drips his Shonen influences everywhere.

I did kind of a media blackout for FF16 to avoid any type of spoilers so just now I am checking this article from the PlayStation blog: https://blog.playstation.com/2023/0...ects-the-series-past-and-embraces-the-future/
Sorry if this was discussed already as the post is old but some stuff written there to me sounds controversial.

The narrative makes it sound like we have been in this constant evolution which started with ATB towards an action game but that is highly debatable. It is not like the old devs from previous FFs where not able to create an action game, I would say they intentionally not do it because one of the things that would stand out from FF (for some people of course) is that having a turn-based battle system was different than your other existing action games.

I think this is the part of the article that bothers me the most:

“We decided to go with real-time combat in FFXVI for two main reasons. The first is simply that most of the members of our development team are gamers, and recently, most of us have been into action games. The controller-gripping combat in those games really makes you want to pour hours into them. The other reason is that, in today’s market, going with an action combat system that anyone can get to grips with quickly and easily was our best way of appealing to the largest audience.

“By interweaving the real-time action with a fantastical story, we believed that we could create a game that was still Final Fantasy at heart. And, of course, when we say we want to appeal to the largest audience possible, that includes stalwart fans of turn-based games and those who aren’t the greatest at action games, too. We’ve put systems in place so that anyone of any skill level can enjoy the game just as much as a seasoned action gamer—maybe even more.
This to me sounds like they are assuming "old fans of turn based games are just not good at action games, so to not left them behind we added an easy mode, now they will like it" which is completely the opposite of my feelings. There are many other games scratching the action-game itch, Final Fantasy doesn't have to be another one.

My controversial opinion of FF16 (half way through the game, so it might change): you can remove all RPG elements from it, no weapon craft/buy/find, no level up, no ability upgrades, no loots, no side-quest and potentially the game would have been much better. My biggest letdown: hitting a bomb with fire attacks and them not absorbing the damage.

Lost Odyssey is the best Final Fantasy game besides VI (though without the Thousand Years of Dreams I probably wouldn’t feel that way)

Koenigssee

- "My Hands" by Leona Lewis and "Stand By Me" by Florence and The Machine are up there with "Eyes On Me", "Suteki Da Ne" and "Melodies of Life".
Weak ass theme songs of VIIR / XVI and their lack of implementation in the game / cutscenes prevents those two from reaching the higher level of emotion.

- XIII peaked in UI/UX design.

- VIII hits super different if it was your first FF.

Last edited:
Mine is 16 is dogshit in story and art... I'm sorry but 10 spoiled me with the Godtier story quests and characters; nothing in the ones after 10 clicked with me on those points. Still loved 12 but despise the story setting and characters. I like 16 a lot but I want depth man.... why is every weapon and armor just a effin stat stick; no unique features.... But I can't say I'm not having a lot of fun...

Maybe I just need to actually watch the cutscenes but I try to pay attention to the main plot... Maybe my impression is that it should be panned just like MGSV was despite its great gameplay.
I'm not liking FF XVI either but I'll wait until the hype dies down before I go hard on it. But FF X's quests are fucking shit. The worst side quests in the series by a landslide. I shit all over X and I'd rather play X over XVI but I'm still gonna be real about the faults of X.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
- Final Fantasy II is the worst Final Fantasy game.
This is pretty uncontroversial. It's an unbelievably bad game, even just on a core systems level.

The remakes have tried to doctor it, and since more people have likely played those than the original, so it's true that people may not realize just how bad it really is, but even the improved versions are generally considered the worst mainline FF.

Although outside of the mainline Mystic Quest is pretty awful.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
This is pretty uncontroversial. It's an unbelievably bad game, even just on a core systems level.

The remakes have tried to doctor it, and since more people have likely played those than the original, so it's true that people may not realize just how bad it really is, but even the improved versions are generally considered the worst mainline FF.

Although outside of the mainline Mystic Quest is pretty awful.

I put it in this thread because of the amount of trendy cool dudes who spout that XIII and XV are the worst in the series when, personal taste aside, they're both at least fully functional games from start to end and having a critical quest line that didn't look like it was conceived by printing out a giant map of the overworld and hanging it in the dev office and throwing darts at different parts of it.

-Begin in town A.
-Cutscene magic teleports you to Town F.
-You need to take this very specific path across this bridge to avoid getting a prostate exam by enemies who are like level 35.
-Get to town B.
-Town B has been taken over by Army Assholes, you need to sneak to Town Q.
-Town Q has a guard stationed at the inn that will only allow you entrance if you speak the password you got from the Queen after talking to her three times in the beginning of the game. Didn't talk to her that many times?
-go back to town F to talk to the queen again

There's non linear and then there's non sense.

Not to even get into that character progression system.

"The best way to make myself tougher is to repeatedly stab myself!"

My fucking God. It's like Mana on a bad Salvia trip.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I put it in this thread because of the amount of trendy cool dudes who spout that XIII and XV are the worst in the series when, personal taste aside, they're both at least fully functional games from start to end and having a critical quest line that didn't look like it was conceived by printing out a giant map of the overworld and hanging it in the dev office and throwing darts at different parts of it.

-Begin in town A.
-Cutscene magic teleports you to Town F.
-You need to take this very specific path across this bridge to avoid getting a prostate exam by enemies who are like level 35.
-Get to town B.
-Town B has been taken over by Army Assholes, you need to sneak to Town Q.
-Town Q has a guard stationed at the inn that will only allow you entrance if you speak the password you got from the Queen after talking to her three times in the beginning of the game. Didn't talk to her that many times?
-go back to town F to talk to the queen again

There's non linear and then there's non sense.

Not to even get into that character progression system.

"The best way to make myself tougher is to repeatedly stab myself!"

My fucking God. It's like Mana on a bad Salvia trip.

FF2 is definitely the worst, but I would still argue XIII at the very elast is more egregious in how poorly designed it is. FF2 was done in under a year. FF13 took many years to reach its poor state.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
FF2 is definitely the worst, but I would still argue XIII at the very elast is more egregious in how poorly designed it is. FF2 was done in under a year. FF13 took many years to reach its poor state.

It was troubled development in the opposite direction of XV, for sure. Where one project took ten years, if I recall correctly, the first solid gameplay build they had was thrown together specifically for the demo, because they were basically in preproduction until 2008 or whatever. Just a terrible hodge podge of ideas and ideas and ideas and then someone remembering they have to make an actual game and the final product ended up feeling like a playtest map or something. Like a good solid foundation that you add interactions and puzzles and you know, GAME to before release. Not something you release alone.

That said, the games' saving grace is really the battle system once it's untethered and the presentation.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I liked FF9 more than any other game in the series - but only right up until I played the remake of FF7.

And speaking of - FF7 Remake was awesome and I thoroughly enjoyed playing it, including the ending which was epic as fuck. I can't wait for its continuation.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Final Fantasy 5 is better than 6. 6 dumbed down the gameplay and reduced the narrative to something more fragmented and episodic.

Yeah FFVI is stupidly easy. I am pretty sure you can solo it with Edgar’s Tools or Sabin’s Blitz if you really wanted to lol. I agree with the complaints that XVI is way too easy on Normal mode. That is a 100% valid complaint. But that criticism applies to like 13 out of 16 entries.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Well it is the blandest JRPG Franchise there is

It's not even in my top 10
People have argued that about the art style in the Trails/Kiseki games.

While I can see where they're coming from about the art style, the series is still pretty top-notch and it's something that's never really been done in a Japanese role playing game before - an actual ongoing story let's fans multiple games all set in the same world. I wish more jrpgs would do this.

Last edited:

Rexket

Neo Member
VI is a terribly balanced game and so easy that the battle system is not fun. So many aspects feel thrown together without a thought of cohesion.

Right of the bat, you have characters with enemy clearing abilities that have no cost and then you have characters with situational or outright useless abilities. Magic is stupidly overpowered and trivializes encounters even before you can reduce the MP cost. The good abilities are not affected by position so you can put most of the cast in the back row for no consequence.

The game gives you esper stat boost but the difficulty isn’t balanced around it at all. Stamina, HP, and MP stat boost are pointless compared to Strength and Magic. Then you have Summon attacks that cost way more MP for disappointing amounts of damage you get.

The game has limit breaks which you will almost never use because they pop up randomly when you are low on health, which you shouldn’t be because it’s easy to manage health, and aren’t that impressive to use.

And that’s not even touching the weird bugs and glitches on SNES.

Bkdk

I'll say even x-2 is overall more enjoyable than 16 overall. the overall battle system, equipment, taming monsters, main char design and their interaction make it more enjoyable than 16, I only enjoy 16 in most boss battles and the first few normal encounters right after clive got his new moves. I also enjoy the 15 world and city design much more than 16, however overall 16 is a little bit better than 15. I haven't replay 15 in the PC version though which I might do it soon so it could change.

Doomtrain

I'm not liking FF XVI either but I'll wait until the hype dies down before I go hard on it. But FF X's quests are fucking shit. The worst side quests in the series by a landslide. I shit all over X and I'd rather play X over XVI but I'm still gonna be real about the faults of X.
Do it. I wanna hear your thoughts on XVI.

My controversial FF opinions:

I think V is incredibly fun and its gameplay makes up for the barebones story.

Ditto for XII.

XIV is a great game but it’s weird that it’s part of the main series (along with XI).

IX has the best writing in the series.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
VI is a terribly balanced game and so easy that the battle system is not fun. So many aspects feel thrown together without a thought of cohesion.

Right of the bat, you have characters with enemy clearing abilities that have no cost and then you have characters with situational or outright useless abilities. Magic is stupidly overpowered and trivializes encounters even before you can reduce the MP cost. The good abilities are not affected by position so you can put most of the cast in the back row for no consequence.

The game gives you esper stat boost but the difficulty isn’t balanced around it at all. Stamina, HP, and MP stat boost are pointless compared to Strength and Magic. Then you have Summon attacks that cost way more MP for disappointing amounts of damage you get.

The game has limit breaks which you will almost never use because they pop up randomly when you are low on health, which you shouldn’t be because it’s easy to manage health, and aren’t that impressive to use.

And that’s not even touching the weird bugs and glitches on SNES.
giphy-downsized.gif

I still love VI

Top Bottom