• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial final fantasy opinions?

BlueLyria

I don't raid at all. The fights are too choreographed for my taste. 100% story and interior decorating for me.
Best thing you can do, A friend of mine is hardcore into raiding in MMOs, so I end up getting some second hand knowledge and explanations from him, and everything he's ever told me made me less likely to ever get into XIV's raids

Lasha

Best thing you can do, A friend of mine is hardcore into raiding in MMOs, so I end up getting some second hand knowledge and explanations from him, and everything he's ever told me made me less likely to ever get into XIV's raids
Curious what he told you. Is he on the US servers? The JP servers are super chill and productive. Most people are raiding with friends/FC in a static. I used to sub in as tank when needed without any issue. Raids and Trials are all about memorizing the order of doing things. You only really die to mechanics done incorrectly. The fights are usually piss easy by the time they reach the duty finder for solos.

BlueLyria

Curious what he told you. Is he on the US servers? The JP servers are super chill and productive. Most people are raiding with friends/FC in a static. I used to sub in as tank when needed without any issue. Raids and Trials are all about memorizing the order of doing things. You only really die to mechanics done incorrectly. The fights are usually piss easy by the time they reach the duty finder for solos.
Yeah, US servers, I forget which datacenter, either Tiamat or Bahamut?? I got bad memory so excuse me.
It's mostly drama surrounding players not doing their part and being kept because they're close to the leader and overall drama because player bad grrrr

Nubulax

FF 8 is the best final fantasy by far

FFXV is the worst AAA game of the ps4 generation

FFXVI is NOT FF
I liked 8 more than most people I would say but you are out of your GD mind if you think 8 is the best final fantasy.. OR.. that is the only final fantasy you have played thus the best lol

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I liked 8 more than most people I would say but you are out of your GD mind if you think 8 is the best final fantasy.. OR.. that is the only final fantasy you have played thus the best lol
It was my first one ... something about the story hooked me in and the protagonist also is my favorite... cant say much more than that ... to each their own I guess

Toots

Gold Member
i hugely dislike Clive's signature attire in FFXVI and would have been lot more happy with wearing his berserk looking armor for the whole game.

dezzy8

XIII was amazing in my opinion. Great music, battle system.
XV is complete ass.
XVI isn’t a Final Fantasy game.

Krathoon

Gold Member
I am always amazed at how small the world is in Final Fantasy 9. There really is not much on the map.

They need to fill out the map if they make a remake.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Masashi Hamauzu had the impossible task of succeeding Nobuo Uematsu as lead composer for Final Fantasy 13. And frankly, I think he did an incredible job. Quite a few people hate the Final Fantasy 13 trilogy OSTs, but I think they are fantastic.

Nobuo Uematsu is the greatest video game composer of all time and no one can really replace him, but Hamauzu did a great job holding down the fort until Square rebuilt their music team.
Koichi Sugiyama was a better composer than Nobuo Uematsu.

Vaan is a perfectly fine character.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
While I don't love every Final Fantasy, I haven't met an entry in the series that I did not at least like.

Last edited:

Komatsu

FFIX is vastly overrated. Lots of us who were pissed at Square for fudging FFVIII so badly then decided to champion pseudo-medieval fantasy settings with super deformed mini-moe characters. It's just not that interesting of a game, sorry.

Love me some FF7 but we all know, in our heart of hearts, the moment when Final Fantasy as a franchise hit its peak:

Nomura's designs are often stupid, but FFX is simply a work of art. What a great game, though of course in typical FF fashion it fumbles the ending.

That said, the best FF is of course Tactics. Possibly the greatest JRPG of all time.

FFIX is vastly overrated. Lots of us who were pissed at Square for fudging FFVIII so badly then decided to champion pseudo-medieval fantasy settings with super deformed mini-moe characters. It's just not that interesting of a game, sorry.

Love me some FF7 but we all know, in our heart of hearts, the moment when Final Fantasy as a franchise hit its peak:

Nomura's designs are often stupid, but FFX is simply a work of art. What a great game, though of course in typical FF fashion it fumbles the ending.

That said, the best FF is of course Tactics. Possibly the greatest JRPG of all time.

How can you be so correct in just one post?

On another note, I’ll admit I had really high hopes for FF XII. Being set in Ivalice, there’s no way the game was going to be bad. Then we got what we got. Which, for me, XII is a top 5 Final Fantasy game, but the struggles the game had during the development show. Vayne should have been the ultimate villain, but they anime’d the heck out of his design at the end. It was baffling.

Ivalice deserves another go at it. Vagrant Story, and Tactics are both masterpiece’s, we need another game in that universe.

From the FF's I've played, mainly PSX and PS2 era, I always felt the writing was off, dialogues cheesy and character motives vague.

Billy Awesomo

Neo Member
Final Fantasy died for me after part IX, the rest of the series has been much of a husk with the occasional passable game and or fun spin off title. Honestly the main tipping point for me was when they started adding numbers at the end of their numbers (XIII 1-3 Imma looking at you).

diffusionx

Gold Member
I tried to replay FFXII and it was just really boring. I think this is a more controversial opinion now than when it came out but yea I don’t think it’s a very good game.

On the flip side I think FFVIII is really good and sadly overlooked.

Stamps1646

I'm a fan of Final Fantasy- Tactics, III, VI, XI and VII Remake Integrade

I've never been a fan of Final Fantasy VII, was never a fan of the original story and the dialog.
Blitzball kill any enjoyment I had with Final Fantasy X.

phant0m

XVI is the best game since X (not including XIV since that's a completely different animal)

VI > VIII = IX > VII

and
Tifa >>>>>>> Aerith
is a hill i will die on

graywolf323

You have my curiosity. What would your top 5 be?
to be honest I haven’t thought about it in a while but I just never loved IX as much as everyone else, possibly because VII was my first FF so I didn’t have the nostalgia factor that IX drew on with it’s return to a more fantasy setting? at the same time though I do love IV and VI when I got to play them in the Anthology & Chronicles releases on PS1

it’s not like IX wouldn’t make my top 10 or anything crazy like that, it’s just definitely not top 3 or 4 to me though

1a/b. Final Fantasy VI/VII (it’s not set in stone which one is my #1 so I stopped trying to separate them)
3. IV
4. X
5. V/VIII/IX/XII? it might be IX but honestly no single game jumps into mind for this spot to me at any given time either, maybe XVI will change that? 🤔 I have a soft spot for VIII though

Top Bottom