• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial final fantasy opinions?

th4tguy

The games were better as turn based games. Playing any of the good DQ games cement that. In fact it’s depressing playing dq xi and seeing how a proper FF game could be if it had more traditional gameplay.
XII was not good. Not bad either.
IX is good but overrated.
7>6>4>10
I miss explorable world maps.

You keep telling yourself that. There is objectively very little difference in time saved.
I'm not talking about time saved i'm talking about decisions being made. The auto attack AI may be "quicker" but doesn't make as good decisions as any player who knows what he is doing and this becomes more and more obvious later through the game when there are more abilities to choose from.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm not talking about time saved i'm talking about decisions being made. The auto attack AI may be "quicker" but doesn't make as good decisions as any player who knows what he is doing and this becomes more and more obvious later through the game when there are more abilities to choose from.

If there is little to no time lost, why bother with making "better decisions" that ultimately don't make the fight end any faster? Auto Battle does it almost just as good. It is a terrible system.

There really hasn't been a great must carry on playing to find out what happens next since 10. Not including MMOs here.

That was 12 years ago for FFS.

13 wasa corridor that holds your hand for 3/4 of the game. The story does get interesting but only before gran pulse.

The sequels were just cash ins for the expensive engine.

15 hands down the worse final fantasy apart from the ost.

Remake was good but it's just 7 but worse.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Because better decisions make you more likely to win...???

Aside from the optional end game hunts, I never was at risk of losing. If you can spam Auto Battle for over 90% of the game, 100% of the story, with the occasional paradigm shift for healing? You fucked up in makin ga good battle system.

jcorb

I think way too many characters in the series look the same.

I mean, I definitely agree with their approach of "all the characters should be as crazy attractive or beautiful as possible", but I feel like they often forget to give them quirks or personality in their designs. FF16, for example, looks like a game I'll enjoy PLAYING, but the (human) characters look totally forgettable. And that seems like kind of a running theme.

For FF7 Remake in particular:

I honestly wish they'd have gone with a more cel-shaded sort of look, something that actually *looked* like Nomura's original artwork. Remake obviously looks incredible, but I don't think it's going to hold up for very long. I think the hyper-realistic look betrayed a lot of the more "anime" influence of the original.

Oh, and the most controversial opinion of all:

I actually thought Lance Bass was a good pick for Sephiroth. I think the over-the-top "villainous" voices they've given him over the years have been kinda cringe-y, and never really fit his design.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
XIII has one of the best battle systems I’ve ever played in a JRPG. It’s fast paced, challenging, and rewards you for playing well instead of cheesing your way through. Every single role, buff, debuff, etc has its uses even in non-boss battles.

Party member AI was also really damn good and optimal. For any given role they played it very well. I like how they’ll probe to figure out elemental weaknesses and debuff vulnerabilities. The more info you have about an enemy, the smarter they behave.

Also it would’ve been boring as hell if you had to manually enter every command for every party member.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
XIII has one of the best battle systems I’ve ever played in a JRPG. It’s fast paced, challenging, and rewards you for playing well instead of cheesing your way through. Every single role, buff, debuff, etc has its uses even in non-boss battles.

Party member AI was also really damn good and optimal. For any given role they played it very well. I like how they’ll probe to figure out elemental weaknesses and debuff vulnerabilities. The more info you have about an enemy, the smarter they behave.

Also it would’ve been boring as hell if you had to manually enter every command for every party member.
Laugh Lol GIF

There really hasn't been a great must carry on playing to find out what happens next since 10. Not including MMOs here.

That was 12 years ago for FFS.

13 wasa corridor that holds your hand for 3/4 of the game. The story does get interesting but only before gran pulse.

The sequels were just cash ins for the expensive engine.

15 hands down the worse final fantasy apart from the ost.

Remake was good but it's just 7 but worse.

Hey guy I hate to do this to you but FFX came out in North America more than 21 years ago, lol.

Ar¢tos

FF9 has the best gameplay and soundtrack.
As soon as they took the control of all party members from the player and later the turn based combat it became another cookie cutter action game. FFXVI is just another Bayonetta clone because of that, it lost it's Final Fantasy identity.

lyan

Aside from the optional end game hunts, I never was at risk of losing. If you can spam Auto Battle for over 90% of the game, 100% of the story, with the occasional paradigm shift for healing? You fucked up in makin ga good battle system.
You are (understandably) misinterpreting "auto battle". The paradigm is the command, instead of picking eg cure/cura/curaga for a character in a traditional FF you pick a paradigm where this character is a healer, auto battle just saves you from choosing the appropriate heal to use (which is in most cases just your strongest heal at the time).

And like how you can just spam attack(/whatever element magic) and get through most battles in classic FFs, whatever commander/ravenger paradigm you choose is your attack/firaga, the auto system just saves you from repetitive menu work. The decision-making involved really aren't that different.

KiteGr

I don't know if any of my opinions are controversial...

• FF 1-5 are unremarkable and could even look the same to the untrained eye.
  • FF 6 was unique for it's time, but still feels clunky by today's standards.
  • FF7 was justifiably epic, though it aged poorly on its early ps1 graphics.
  • FF8 was a set of bizarre decisions. Different is not always better.
  • FF9 felt like the most complete game of all of them.
  • FF10 was unfinished, but cleverly disguised as a finished game so you wouldn't notice. Still, managed to be the last good FF game.
  • FF10-2's combat was the best thing about it. Every other aspect was designed to sell strategy guides.
  • FF11 sucked in those early MMO days. People just choose to remember the the good recent patched for convenience version.
  • FF12 is another MMo turned single player. The most unique aspect was it's way of setting the other character's AI. The writing and delivery was almost amazing, but at the same time they lacked emotion to get u invested.
  • FF13 is wasted potential. Such a big production, just to make an incomprehensible mess that plays it self.
  • FF13-2 tried to course correct, but forgot that people didn't actually manage to get invested in that world, nor make much sense of it.
  • FF14 was a disaster and the brand being damaged became obvious. It was essentially remade from scratch, and the pandemic helped it to become popular and get the second chance it didn't deserve.
  • FF15 was even more clearly unfinished. The whole game reeked of cut and salvaged content, and if you take a look at it's original ideas, it's also toothless.
  • FF7R is great, if you excuse the tons of filler and them chickening out regarding some hot content and character deaths.

As for the unreleased:
  • FF16 looks generic as fuck. Any story cutscene could pass easily for an FF14 cutscene, or any other recent square rpg for that mater. The good old days from ff6 to ff12 where evey game was visually distinct are gone.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Dirge of Cerberus is my favorite Final Fantasy spin-off and an all-around great game.

I don't know if any of my opinions are controversial...

• FF 1-5 are unremarkable and could even look the same to the untrained eye.
  • FF 6 was unique for it's time, but still feels clunky by today's standards.
  • FF7 was justifiably epic, though it aged poorly on its early ps1 graphics.
  • FF8 was a set of bizarre decisions. Different is not always better.
  • FF9 felt like the most complete game of all of them.
  • FF10 was unfinished, but cleverly disguised as a finished game so you wouldn't notice. Still, managed to be the last good FF game.
  • FF10-2's combat was the best thing about it. Every other aspect was designed to sell strategy guides.
  • FF11 sucked in those early MMO days. People just choose to remember the the good recent patched for convenience version.
  • FF12 is another MMo turned single player. The most unique aspect was it's way of setting the other character's AI. The writing and delivery was almost amazing, but at the same time they lacked emotion to get u invested.
  • FF13 is wasted potential. Such a big production, just to make an incomprehensible mess that plays it self.
  • FF13-2 tried to course correct, but forgot that people didn't actually manage to get invested in that world, nor make much sense of it.
  • FF14 was a disaster and the brand being damaged became obvious. It was essentially remade from scratch, and the pandemic helped it to become popular and get the second chance it didn't deserve.
  • FF15 was even more clearly unfinished. The whole game reeked of cut and salvaged content, and if you take a look at it's original ideas, it's also toothless.
  • FF7R is great, if you excuse the tons of filler and them chickening out regarding some hot content and character deaths.

As for the unreleased:
  • FF16 looks generic as fuck. Any story cutscene could pass easily for an FF14 cutscene, or any other recent square rpg for that mater. The good old days from ff6 to ff12 where evey game was visually distinct are gone.
Lolwut.

Pejo

I want S-E to go out of business and then Mistwalker to buy the IP and have the Gooch make one last epic turn based Final Fantasy. Then he can lock the IP in a vault and throw away the key and toss it in the ocean.

I think the plots of Final Fantasy games are poorly written. If plot holes are ignored, I really enjoyed the plots of Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy X despite it.

Zheph

Objectively false when fanbases like Sonic, Pokemon, Overwatch, Five Nights at Freddies, etc exist. I wouldn't rank Final Fantasy in the top 20 awful fanbases, probably.
Sonic fanbase is something else that's for sure... I will believe you on the rest

Just the simple fact that every game is different does create an extra tension for FF imo

tmlDan

if you don't like any FF games you have no soul and are likely a sociopath in my eyes.

Is that controversial? lol

mrmustard

Banned
if you don't like any FF games you have no soul and are likely a sociopath in my eyes.

Is that controversial? lol
Damn that's brutal. What would you call me? I'm a gamer since 35 years who owned several Ninetendo, Playstation, Xbox and SEGA consoles and Pcs, but if you asked me what Final Fantasy is, all i could answer is 'It's an asian game'.

• Surprised
Reactions: Fuz

tmlDan

Damn that's brutal. What would you call me? I'm a gamer since 35 years who owned several Ninetendo, Playstation, Xbox and SEGA consoles and Pcs, but if you asked me what Final Fantasy is, all i could answer is 'It's an asian game'.
LOL I dunno, I did say its controversial.

maybe you just gotta be a bit more open minded if you think it's just an asian game

Top Bottom