• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best JRPG of the 360/PS3/Wii generation?

I don't consider the Souls games or Dragon's Dogma to be JRPGs per se, and I haven't played Xenoblade, so that probably leaves Ni no Kuni as my favourite.

Son1x

I'm going with Valkyria Chronicles. Tales of Vesperia is a close second.

Haven't played quite a few though.

Ludist210

I've still got several from this generation that I own but have yet to play through (Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Ni no Kuni, Tales of Xillia, Valkyria Chronicles, Resonance of Fate) so I can't really make a proper call here.

With that said, The World Ends With You is one of the best JRPGs that I've played in years.

UnrealEck

Dark Souls and Demon's Souls equally for me I think. Played Xenoblade on Dolphin too. Haven't finished it yet but I didn't find it particularly praise worthy.

Warms my soul to see some Ni no Kuni love in this thread. That game gets so much crap on GAF but I absolutely adore it in spite of its flaws (which are all minor to me).

First place for me has to be Xenoblade. Just an unbelievable experience, I will always remember that game as a real classic. NNK is probably a close second.

Of course, handhelds are the real king when it comes to JRPG's.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm surprised no one mentioned Xillia. While that's not my pick either, it was a pretty good RPG and considering the variance in opinion I thought it'd be bound to be at -least- someone's best.

For me personally, objectively I'd say Valkyria Chronicles. I want to say VC2 but I'm not sure if portables count, otherwise I'd also go the very obvious Bravely Default route. D:

Cornbread78

Xenoblade for me. Sadly not a great deal of competition this gen. Vesperia was pretty good too. Need to check out TLS properly.

Some great stuff on hanhelds though - Radiant Historia, Wayfarer of Time, TWEWY, etc.

I don't think it could really

Probably not, but hey, I enjoyed them, so they get my vote, lol.

+1 for Xenoblade, you should try giving it a second chance.

Dark Souls isn't a JRPG.

And especially given the games the OP listed, there's a specific mold of JRPG he's looking for.

Dark Souls is JRPG whether its a different mold or not. Maybe since OP seemed kind of bored by most of what he tried,a JRPG of a different flavor might be a needed breath of fresh air?

I'm surprised no one mentioned Xillia. While that's not my pick either, it was a pretty good RPG and considering the variance in opinion I thought it'd be bound to be at -least- someone's best.

Honestly, it was one of the best JRPGs of the gen. But, that says more about the lack of quality this gen rather than the quality of that particular title, which I thought was just barely "great".

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Ni no Kuni is wonderfully pretty but actually playing it is ungodly tedious. The clear winner is Xenoblade, but it's not like there was a huge amount of competition. JRPGs are on life support at the moment.

Effect

Persona 4! It's on PS2, but it came out during that gen.

Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma might be Japanese and they might be RPGs, but they are not JRPGs.

I don't see why we have to do this. They're RPGS made in Japan. As a result they are JRPGS. There can be variety in how they at structured. Just as there is variety in WRPGs.

If WRPGS can have Fallout 3/New Vegas, Mass Effect, Dragon's Age, Elders Scrolls and Might & Magic under it's banner I don't see why JRPG can't have Final Fantasy 13, Xenoblade, Dragon's Dogma, Tales of and Dark Souls under it at the same time.

DJIzana

Glad to see all the Xenoblade love.

Seeing this scene again makes me want to replay it again already... + the music that goes along with it!

xenoblade-artwork-7%5B1%5D.jpg

I may go back and replay this once I finish replaying Chrono Cross and Super Mario RPG.

Cornbread78

I don't see why we have to do this. They're RPGS made in Japan. As a result they are JRPGS. There can be variety in how they at structured. Just as there is variety in WRPGs. If WRPGS can have Fallout 3/New Vegas, Mass Effect, Dragon's Age under it's banner I don't see why JRPG can't have Final Fantasy 13, Xenoblade, Dragon's Dogma, and Dark Souls under it at the same time.

And thus the debate has begun, this is where we always end up, trying to decide what is a jrpg, what is an arpg? shoudl they be lumped together for these? Should handhelds be included, remakes? yada yada.. OP has to be meticulasly detailed to avoid this, lol.

Leezard

I'd say Xenoblade. I find the Souls games better, but I cannot count them as JRPGs for myself, despite them being RPGs made in Japan.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Xenoblade, hands down.

I'd love to be able to say Ni no Kuni, but it's too full of typical L5 bullshit.

JRPGs are kind of dead on consoles. Handhelds is where they're really at.

I've just finished playing Ni No Kuni and loved it. Very frustrating at first and the battle system is flawed. But I could not stop playing it and ended up going for the platinum, it was just very enjoyable with a lot of content, fun characters and that artstyle <3

I also enjoyed Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon a lot, I couldn't get into Lost Odyssey, and missed Xenoblade because it was on the Wii and I'm not constantly replacing batteries in the fucking wiimote.

Korigama

Persona 4! It's on PS2, but it came out during that gen.

Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma might be Japanese and they might be RPGs, but they are not JRPGs.
And PS2 is still not part of the same console generation as the systems mentioned, so it doesn't count.

The Souls games and Dragon's Dogma are JRPGs, no matter how much people who like or dislike them insist otherwise.

For me personally, objectively I'd say Valkyria Chronicles. I want to say VC2 but I'm not sure if portables count, otherwise I'd also go the very obvious Bravely Default route. D:
As a 3DS title, Bravely Default is on a next-gen platform part of the same generation as PS4/Xbone/Wii U/Vita.

I've just finished playing Ni No Kuni and loved it. Very frustrating at first and the battle system is flawed. But I could not stop playing it and ended up going for the platinum, it was just very enjoyable with a lot of content, fun characters and that artstyle <3

I also enjoyed Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon a lot, I couldn't get into Lost Odyssey, and missed Xenoblade because it was on the Wii and I'm not constantly replacing batteries in the fucking wiimote.

I did enjoy Ni No Kuni combat after a while, but once I put down the game I had no desire to ever experience it again. Something just feels really off about it.

Eternal Sonata was great fun, but suffered from a lot of padding imo. I loved Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey!

Ni no Kuni since it was the only one I played. I don't really consider Demon's/Dark Souls as JRPG even though they are both Japanese and RPGs.

Coxy

Valkyria Chronicles and Ar Tonelico Qoga stand out as my favourites, liked Xillia a lot too, I think Persona 5, Ar No Surge and Zestiria all have potential to be great too

a bit off the beaten path, Yakuza 3/4 and Dragons Crown are fantastic as well

For Imports, 2nd Super Robot Wars OGs and Sen no Kiseki are wonderful

JRPG has had a specific meaning since the RPG genre was broken up into sub-genres. The Souls games are not JRPGs. The genre means more than a Japanese developer making a game with RPG elements. Dark Souls has a lot of western influences, same with Dragon's Dogma which I wouldn't call a JRPG either.

sephiroth7x

It would have been Ni No Kuni... I was thoroughly enjoying it until it started to add additional characters and the AI for them in battle is so god damn awful. I had to stop playing at that point as I was getting so angry at the fact they either kept dying or wasting all their MP on useless spells that did nothing for me...

My winner therefore would either be Lost Odyssey or Nier...

Ratrat

JRPG has had a specific meaning since the RPG genre was broken up into sub-genres. The Souls games are not JRPGs. The genre means more than a Japanese developer making a game with RPG elements. Dark Souls has a lot of western influences, same with Dragon's Dogma which I wouldn't call a JRPG either.
Every first person dungeon crawler copied Wizardy. I guess Etryian Odyssey is now western rpg! Now one would be making these arguments if Dark Souls used an anime art style.

Top Bottom