• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best JRPG of the 360/PS3/Wii generation?

Terra

Xenoblade Chronicles gets my vote without doubt.

It was amazing that the Wii could muster up the power to that open world. And thef fantastic music...and the atmosphere. You could almost feel the damp heat, running around in that jungle.

It´s really a game that everyone should experience.

Korigama

I...

uh...

okayguy.jpg
At the very least, if the game is indeed as good as I've heard (only played the demo for myself so far), then next-gen is off to a promising start. SMT IV and Fire Emblem Awakening also help to make the case.

Falk

that puzzling face
Well, while we're at it can we also argue that Call of Duty is a multiplayer online battle arena?

Every first person dungeon crawler copied Wizardy. I guess Etryian Odyssey is now western rpg! Now one would be making these arguments if Dark Souls used an anime art style.

It's not so much about the art style of the game as it is the gameplay, which traditionally is the defining element of what constitutes a genre.

I don't see why we have to do this. They're RPGS made in Japan. As a result they are JRPGS. There can be variety in how they at structured. Just as there is variety in WRPGs.

If WRPGS can have Fallout 3/New Vegas, Mass Effect, Dragon's Age, Elders Scrolls and Might & Magic under it's banner I don't see why JRPG can't have Final Fantasy 13, Xenoblade, Dragon's Dogma, Tales of and Dark Souls under it at the same time.

If anything with stats made in Japan is going to be a JRPG then everything is a JRPG. Monster Hunter, PSO, Castlevania, Zelda, FFXI, DQX, Mega Man Zero, Kid Icarus Uprising, all JRPGs!

Gbraga

Persona 4 if it counts (it should, just like 5 should count for the next since all those threads are being made before its launch)

Dark Souls and Nier should also be mentioned.

Ratrat

It's not so much about the art style of the game as it is the gameplay, which traditionally is the defining element of what constitutes a genre.
How many western games are mechanically similar to it? Jrpgs are diverse enough to encompass Disgaea to Xenoblade to Kingdom Hearts. Why are the Souls games singled out? The art style.

Mirin

Banned
And thus the debate has begun, this is where we always end up, trying to decide what is a jrpg, what is an arpg? shoudl they be lumped together for these? Should handhelds be included, remakes? yada yada.. OP has to be meticulasly detailed to avoid this, lol.

I don't know why people are so anal about splitting the genre and adhering to a very specific "mold" of JRPG. Japanese Role Playing Game, the name is pretty self-explanatory and inclusive. It does not exclusively apply to games like xenoblade, persona, FF and such.

Auskeek

Trails in the Sky is without a doubt my favorite JRPG of the last generation; it's been a long time since I've been so inspired by a JRPG, or any game really.

And that's not because console JRPGs were terrible either, Vesperia, Valkyria, Nier and Xenoblade were great.

Caronte

JRPG has had a specific meaning since the RPG genre was broken up into sub-genres. The Souls games are not JRPGs. The genre means more than a Japanese developer making a game with RPG elements. Dark Souls has a lot of western influences, same with Dragon's Dogma which I wouldn't call a JRPG either.

I guess Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy are not JRPGs either since they were inspired by western RPGs too.

Gbraga

There's nothing "western" about Dark Souls' gameplay design.

The game is japanese as fuck, honestly (and thank god). Maybe the art style has heavy western influences, but that's it.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I loved Blue Dragon. As far as traditional JRPGs go, it's probably my favorite of the generation. I liked what I played of Lost Odyssey too, but my TV broke right after I got to disc 2 and I moved on to some portable games while waiting for my new TV and I just never got back into it.

Ratrat

Trails in the Sky is without a doubt my favorite JRPG of the last generation; it's been a long time since I've been so inspired by a JRPG, or any game really.

And that's not because console JRPGs were terrible either, Vesperia, Valkyria, Nier and Xenoblade were great.
Good choice!

Xenoblade's gameplay was pretty heavily influenced by WRPGs, too. (Takahashi even mentioned it in an interview) And nobody ever argues about what genre its in.

But I digress, this silly conversation shouldn't derail OP's thread.

Yaoibot

Lost Odyssey, Valkyria, WKC 1/2 (loved the online MMORPGish elements - story and SP were throwaway.)

Quite a few, actually. And the JRPGs are just starting to really flow on the PS3 too, so there's more to come like P5.

Rozart

Talking about Ni No Kuni, was I the only one annoyed by Oliver? The game has so much heart and charm and overall, was really a lovely game. But Oliver's naivety and constant parroting of questions that was already explained just barely two minutes ago really grated on my nerves. Maybe I'm just getting cranky with age or something.

Definitely Xenoblade Chronicles for me.

I love the massive areas with no loading--especially Gaur Plains. It also does away with annoying conventions, like enabling quick-travel from the beginning, healing your HP after every battle (I know I'm lazy) and letting you set the time.

It's definitely not perfect (for me, nothing lives up to Gaur Plains, although Makna Forest gets bonus points for atmosphere), but I was thoroughly engrossed all the way, which is what I like best about RPGs.

The Kiseki (Trails) series comes a very close second though, even though it's not on those generation of consoles.

Every first person dungeon crawler copied Wizardy. I guess Etryian Odyssey is now western rpg! Now one would be making these arguments if Dark Souls used an anime art style.

Not true, it just has very little in common with what is commonly categorized as a JRPG. It has character building and item management that is far more in common with WRPGs than JRPGs, and that's really the only thing that even comes close to resembling a JRPG.

People only call Dark Souls a JRPG because it was made by a Japanese developer, but the J and the W in RPG refer to the style of game rather than who made it, because that would be stupid and wouldn't make any kind of sense to describing a genre.

Reading this thread makes it very difficult, there were tons of amazing JRPGs, so ill pick 3:

1. Xenoblade
2. Nier
3. Dark Souls

God damn there were tons, valkyria chronicles, radiant historia, tales of xillia, the last story...I know im forgetting a bunch..

How many western games are mechanically similar to it? Jrpgs are diverse enough to encompass Disgaea to Xenoblade to Kingdom Hearts. Why are the Souls games singled out? The art style.

The Souls games are singled out because of their gameplay. They are more similar to an action RPG such as Zelda or Diablo. The art style has nothing to do with it. Genres are defined by gameplay, not art style.

E: I would consider Kingdom Hearts to be an action RPG too. I guess this just goes to show how arbitrary the definitions are.

Ratrat

Not true, it just has very little in common with what is commonly categorized as a JRPG. It has character building and item management that is far more in common with WRPGs than JRPGs, and that's really the only thing that even comes close to resembling a JRPG.

People only call Dark Souls a JRPG because it was made by a Japanese developer, but the J and the W in RPG refer to the style of game rather than who made it, because that would be stupid and wouldn't make any kind of sense to describing a genre.
They've been making Kings Field since ps1. Almost all jrpgs were influenced by western games. The argument is ridiculous.

Xenoblade's gameplay was pretty heavily influenced by WRPGs, too. (Takahashi even mentioned it in an interview) And nobody ever argues about what genre its in.

But I digress, this silly conversation shouldn't derail OP's thread.

Interesting... I always thought Xenoblade drew heavy inspiration from FFXII, but I suppose that game drew its own inspiration from Everquest.

Begaria

Sorry. Can't choose just one. I'm copping out on this one.

Wii: Xenoblade Chronicles

PS3: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

(though I want to give a huge shout out to Valkyria Chronicles, despite it being a SRPG)

DS: Radiant Historia

PSP: Crisis Core (for now)

I'm still working through my PSP backlog of RPGs. Despite borrowing a Xbox 360, my used copy of Lost Odyssey is on the fritz until I either get it cleaned or track down a less broken copy, so I can't comment on 360.

fek

Considering the DS and PSP, I would say DQIX.
Otherwise, Atelier Totori is my favorite, so far. We are still getting a few JRPGs on PS3 so it could change.

sörine

Banned
Looking back I think I still had the best time with Etrian Odyssey 1 out of everything. The Dragon Quest remakes were pretty great too.

Gaaraz

Mass Effect of course.
:D

I think this is the only game mentioned in this thread that I've enjoyed!

Quite disheartening to see so many people saying Xenoblade, that to me pretty much confirms that me and JRPGs just don't go any more. I tried playing it last month and absolutely hated it.

Ni No Kuni looks great though, I played the demo and didn't enjoy it, but picked it up anyway when it was on sale recently on the PS+ store. I've got Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma too that I'm going to play at some point, but neither look like traditional JRPGs to me.

(edit) Dragon Quest remakes has piqued my interest too, and I'd like to try the new Etrian Odyssey when I get a 3DS.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Xenoblade Chromicles for me.

PS3 is the first Playstation console or handheld I've owned where I didn't play a JRPG on it. Nothing on it interested me.

I also really enjoyed The Last Story on Wii as well. Definitely different than most but still had a good classic Final fantasy feel to it.

They've been making Kings Field since ps1. Almost all jrpgs were influenced by western games. The argument is ridiculous.

And Kings Field is a WRPG. It doesn't matter if the dev is Japanese or not.

Influence also doesn't matter because every game is influenced by a previous game one way or another. But influence doesn't define a genre.

Gaaraz

I believe some of these are co-operative too right? My girlfriend isn't a big gamer but has said she'd happily play some co-op games together (she loved Brothers for example) so will give games like Vesperia another chance for that.

NEO0MJ

The Souls games are kinda weird to me in that I don't really think of them as RPGs. I mean sure they have the level up and equipment thing going but they play nothing like traditional RPGs. They tie with the Mario Galaxy games as GOTG for me, though.

For me the best RPG of last gen has to be either the game suggested by Viewtiful Dru.

or this one.

12635479913_ac70791bd5_c.jpg

I loved every moment of these game.

I love how some people don't consider the Souls games jrpgs.

Yeah, Demon's and Dark Souls followed by Xenoblade (shame the story turned into complete nonsense by the end though, it also dragged in the last third).

codhand

I love how some people don't consider the Souls games jrpgs.

Yeah, Demon's and Dark Souls followed by Xenoblade (shame the story turned into complete nonsense by the end though, it also dragged in the last third).

i consider JRPGs to be things like Tales, FF, DQ, etc. so yeah, no Souls games. That I'd consider a Western RPG made in the East.

There's nothing "western" about Dark Souls' gameplay design.

The game is japanese as fuck, honestly (and thank god). Maybe the art style has heavy western influences, but that's it.

I never said that Dark Souls was 'Western.' All I'm saying is that we have this thing called a 'genre' which we use as a convenient way to classify similar types of games based on how the player interacts with the game.

These genres didn't arise out of nowhere. We chose them as labels based on what the gameplay feels like compared to other games. That's how we choose to define genres in this industry.

I mean, it's all totally arbitrary and based on games that have already been made in the first place. The very foundation of the concept of genres is arbitrary. How can the label of 'genre' have any meaning if the most basic tenant of what constitutes a particular type of game (the gameplay) can't be used as a defining element?

Basically, if we don't agree on some basic tenant for how to define a genre, then we're all talking in circles.

Top Bottom