• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putin Bans Import of Food From Countries That Sanctioned Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/118992/putin-bans-import-food-countries-sanctioned-russia

Today, "with the goal of protecting Russia's national interests," Vladimir Putin issued a decree "banning or limiting" the import of food stuffs from countries that imposed sanctions on Russia after pro-Russian separatists shot down Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 in Ukraine. That includes the United States, the European Union, Japan, Australia, and Canada. Russia, despite once being the bread basket of Europe, now imports 40 percent of its food. And even if local growers and producers step up to fill the gap left by the ban, it will still take a long time and the transition will be rough.

While the language of the ukase is vague—Putin also directs the government to determine which goods to ban or limit, and how (this, one Russian opposition activist pointed out, will just lead to importers lining up outside bureaucrats' offices with suitcases of cash)—the Russian blogosphere has lost no time in panicking. (The Twitter account of DozhdTV, the independent Russian channel, tweeted: "American whiskey, Dutch cheeses, German beer, Australian beef, Greek olives. Say bye-bye to all that.")

Expat journalists joined in the freak-out, too, because life in pre-decree Moscow is good. Really good. Especially if you are the sort of Muscovite and foreigner who can afford to lounge in a trendy cafe sipping some lovely Sancerre or to saunter into a supermarket and buy some rich mozzarella, flown in right from Italy.

This is the thing. The people who will be worst hit if the ban really does go through and is as wide-sweeping as the Russian blogosphere fears, it will hurt not America and not the E.U., but the class of people who are well-educated, well-paid, and well-traveled, who know the difference between a Nero d'Avola and a Nebbiolo, and between prosciutto and jamón serrano. That's a relatively small set of people, and it's also the people who went out into the streets in the winter of 2011-2012 to protest against Vladimir Putin: the urban middle class, or, as the Kremlin derisively dubbed them, the creacles (from the words for creative class).

Still, it will have a wider effect, too. Most restaurants in the country these days serve something from the E.U., things like Czech or German beer (a favorite of Russians of all stripes) and cheap Italian and French wines. Not to mention that much of the beef in Russian restaurants comes from Australia, which has already threatened to ban entry to Vladimir Putin. The ban won't go unnoticed outside the creative class.

And though the Kremlin voices stayed largely silent—they're the ones who live the best, drinking foreign wines and wearing luxe foreign clothes and driving blingy foreign cars and will be the least affected by the ban (the Soviet nomenklatura had plenty of access to foreign goods, after all)—one of the most acerbic and militant Putinists did weigh in.
For all the hyperbole about the decline of the west, I'm glad I'm not living in Russia where one man can unilaterally issue a decree like this.

GeekyDad

Funny how this report reads, "...pro-Russian separatists shot down Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 in Ukraine. ..."

Wasn't aware there was yet a determination (outside of the US government's spin) on the matter.

ЯAW

Banned
This is going to wreck some businesses. Shit needs to stop, both sides. I wonder how much Russia's economy is going to shrink with all the sanctions.

Deadbeat

Banned
6765ac5382be8ea9fd47fvgpyd.gif

I assumed any sanctions the west imposed on Russia included trade sanctions anyway?!

Also
mention that much of the beef in Russian restaurants comes from Australia
that's quite a strange situation. Surely they could source beef closer and not have it brought frozen by boat to Russia from Australia.

When sanctions get to where its really hurting Russia they'll have no reason not to invade Ukraine. They'll have nothing to lose. And I'm not even sure EU is willing to go to war over it if they do.

Burt

What's going to happen to a place like McDonald's? I know they often source local ingredients when they can in foreign markets, but just being open sort of defeats the purpose here. I feel like the effects of this would be felt well beyond just the people who can tell the difference between a "Nero d'Avola and a Nebbiolo".

Determined everywhere except for 1 country, name beginning with R.

Hey, hey. Don't forget North Korea and Syria. Oh and the glorious republics of South Ossetia, Transnistria, Abkhazia, Donetsk and Luhansk.

This will only cost the regular Russian as the food prices are very likely to rise.

jorma

is now taking requests
All i could think of is how the "russian blogosphere" just pissed off every Irishman and Scotsman in the world. :)

and who will suffer in the process? Putin? europe? the US? he only eats the finest of things., other countries apart from few businesses will shrug it off. I am really surprised why russians still support him, if this continues russia will go back to the cold war era. completely disconnected from the world. something that took decades to fix, just because of an idiot with an ego the size of the moon.

BigAl1992

All i could think of is how the "russian blogosphere" just pissed off every Irishman and Scotsman in the world. :)

Not to piss on your parade, but I'm Irish and I completely missed the joke.

On topic, this has hurt no one but Russia itself. The counties selling to them will only sell it elsewhere and establish new contracts and trade deals elsewhere.

Sylver

Banned
and who will suffer in the process? Putin? europe? the US? he only eats the finest of things., other countries apart from few businesses will shrug it off. I am really surprised why russians still support him, if this continues russia will go back to the cold war era. completely disconnected from the world. something that took decades to fix, just because of an idiot with an ego the size of the moon.

Poland already lost 430M euros in 776.000 tons apples, pears and quinces export to Russia.

Next step is the Internet, electronics, clothes, auto and eventually closing borders. Ladies and gentleman's - welcome to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRm9E4An7rc

Sounds like more money for Putin's pals, prohibition-style if you will

More like, monopoly. All big companies in Russia creates garbage. Cars, food and other things is not even near Made in China. People buying it as good stuff has hight price, because of import taxes. Every one using ВАЗ (car company), because it is cheap. People who has money, baying other cars (Ford, Mercedes, Hyundai, etc). Food is not tasty, as companies bribing inspections and if it is not kill instantly, it's good.

If there was good companies in Russia, every one used them, not Apple, Samsung, Nike, Adidas, Milka, Ford or any other foreign company.

Linkyn

Grain embargo 2.0?

Interesting that the same parties are involved, even if the tables appear to be turned.

Volimar

Can't wait for the US to reciprocate. Who wants to sip on some freedom vodka?

When sanctions get to where its really hurting Russia they'll have no reason not to invade Ukraine. They'll have nothing to lose. And I'm not even sure EU is willing to go to war over it if they do.

But what would they have to gain at that point?

Ever since Putin's gang seized like 90% of the media, the Russian population is under constant mind-rape.
Like such..
hyIbMLt.jpg

(they have taken it down when it led to an outrage, back up)
(edit: check out the source too, some random-ass blog, rofl)

Bear in mind that this is the English version of RT. The Russian propaganda directed at Russians on the other hand...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Can't wait for the US to reciprocate. Who wants to sip on some freedom vodka?

But what would they have to gain at that point?

Crimea was a huge boost for Putin domestically, eastern Ukraine would be the same. Next stop: Mother Kiev. Many Russians believe Ukraine is and formally should be part of Russia, and victories here would be a big win for Putin.

You sanction a country when it has no other partners. What did the US expect when Russia has all its former USSR republics and China to trade with?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Funny, though, how they're targeting agriculture.

Why not luxury goods, for example? Oh that's right...Putin's oligarch friends and their wives shouldn't go without their LVMH.

ЯAW

Banned
So their answer to the sanctions is to hurt themselves. How bright.
They are in the shittier already, might as well take somebody down with you. Not to mention this forces people to buy Russian products so it's not all bad for Russia. This is going to be trouble for many EU countries that are still recovering from financial meltdown. It won't be end of any country but it will be big dent in the economy, especially for baltian and scandinavian countries.

Volimar

Crimea was a huge boost for Putin domestically, eastern Ukraine would be the same. Next stop: Mother Kiev. Many Russians believe Ukraine is and formally should be part of Russia, and victories here would be a big win for Putin.

I mean economically.

slit

You sanction a country when it has no other partners. What did the US expect when Russia has all its former USSR republics and China to trade with?

China has enough problems feeding it's own people. They rely on U.S. agricultural imports a lot, especially meat.

Yours or mine. Because my common sense tells me the Russians would have nothing to gain from such an attack, whereas the US would have everything to gain by making such an attack look like the responsibility of Russia.

Pro-russian separatists is not Russia but are linked to Russia. They clearly never intended to do it but they did and they are responsible for letting these guys loose with fancy weaponry.

Like I said, common sense.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Only Putin will have nothing to lose, which will lead to internal division against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom