• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putin Bans Import of Food From Countries That Sanctioned Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yours or mine. Because my common sense tells me the Russians would have nothing to gain from such an attack, whereas the US would have everything to gain by making such an attack look like the responsibility of Russia.
Let me guess, you think the US and EU loaded the plane full of dead bodies and deliberately blew it up over separatist territory? I think you should step away from RT, dude.

Anyway, funny attempt by Russia to try and look like they've got leverage over other countries but everyone knows they don't, so all they're doing is hurting themselves. I feel sorry for Russians, even if they're too brainwashed to realise how much they're being fucked over.

jimi_dini

Poland already lost 430M euros in 776.000 tons apples, pears and quinces export to Russia.

Some say around 500 million EUR.

http://www.polskieradio.pl/42/3166/...y-o-spotkanie-ws-rosyjskiego-embarga-na-owoce

Poland has effectively exported 1.200M Euros worth of meat products and 1000M Euros worth of vegetables and fruits to Russia in 2013.

http://www.polentoday.de/content/view/7655/286/

Oh and UK + France didn't want to cancel existing arms deals, but the moronic government in Germany did. Not only did Rheinmetall lose 100 million EUR because of that. But Russia also sues because of breach of contract. It's actually quite funny.

Russia also wants Apple + SAP to prove that their software is not used for spying. Which I consider quite nice, some other *cough* governments should have done that years ago.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/30/russia-wants-apple-and-sap-code/

ICKE

Banned
Some say around 500 million EUR.

Poland has effectively exported 1.200M Euros worth of meat products and 1000M Euros worth of vegetables and fruits to Russia in 2013.

Oh and UK + France didn't want to cancel existing arms deals, but the moronic government in Germany did. Not only did Rheinmetall lose 100 million EUR because of that. But Russia also sues because of breach of contract. It's actually quite funny.

This is the problem with these sanctions, some countries are getting played hard while others take the moral high ground without losing anything other than their diplomatic relations. People make jokes about Russia shooting itself in the foot but a lot of normal people in neighboring countries are suffering from this crisis. European foreign policy is a joke, if countries like Poland have to suffer substantial losses then they should be compensated by some other means.

It is quite idiotic to think that Europe thought they could fly into the sunset after sanctioning Russia, infact it is quite idiotic to think that anybody will sanction a country that is capable of retaliating. While America is oceans away acting all puffy the ones that will pay the price are the Europeans and Russians.

ksan

Wow, that's really hard hitting in comparison to losing the ability to get long term funding in USD/EUR for important businesses.

This is the problem with these sanctions, some countries are getting played hard while others take the moral high ground without losing anything other than their diplomatic relations. People make jokes about Russia shooting itself in the foot but a lot of normal people in neighboring countries are suffering from this crisis. European foreign policy is a joke, if countries like Poland have to suffer substantial losses then they should be compensated by some other means.

Don't underestimate Putin - he've chosen agriculture products precisely becouse it will hurt neighboring countries the most as that region was strongest supporter of Ukraine.

Fox318

I don't know, doesn't China have issues feeding its own people, let alone exporting? Not to mention their quality control (or lack thereof).

They export alot of food and I don't think Russia cares about quality control.

China does what is in China's interest. They are not going to do anything to help Russia because Russia is their commie friend. They'll buy natural gas and other raw materials from Russia but only because that is in China's best interest. They like to work with parties that are sanctioned against because it allows them to get cheap prices.

And China still has some territorial disputes with Russia.

Don't get me wrong. China isn't Russia's buddy but from everything I have read Russia is just going to go to China to try and replace European sales.

CrunchyB

It is quite idiotic to think that Europe thought they could fly into the sunset after sanctioning Russia, infact it is quite idiotic to think that anybody will sanction a country that is capable of retaliating. While America is oceans away acting all puffy the ones that will pay the price are the Europeans and Russians.

Russia left the EU no choice, they needed to do something.

If anything they should have acted as soon as Russia annexed Crimea.

When sanctions get to where its really hurting Russia they'll have no reason not to invade Ukraine. They'll have nothing to lose. And I'm not even sure EU is willing to go to war over it if they do.

What will they gain from invading Ukraine? If the sanctions are hurting Russia, it would be in their interest to try and have the sanctions removed. Invading Ukraine may not start a war with the west, but the sanctions will be even more extreme.

jimi_dini

European foreign policy is a joke, if countries like Poland have to suffer substantial losses then they should be compensated by some other means.

Polish government fully deserves it. Those shitheads allowed 'murica to torture people on their ground and they were also fully behind those anti-Russia sanctions (to summarize Polish government is in 'muricas colon). What did they expect, that Russia would keep importing their goods in return?

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/gl...ail-poland-rules-eu-court-human-rights-303696

Yes, it surely sucks for the people, but I don't give a shit about their government and their government will get shit for this.

It also seems as if Russia is currently thinking about denying overflight rights to European airlines, which is an answer to sanctions against Russian airlines. Which would make such flights way more expensive.

EDIT: Oh and btw. Polish government already wants compensation from Brussels.

http://www.polskieradio.pl/42/3166/...y-o-spotkanie-ws-rosyjskiego-embarga-na-owoce

Polish government fully deserves it. Those shitheads allowed 'murica to torture people on their ground and they were also fully behind those anti-Russia sanctions (to summarize Polish government is in 'muricas colon). What did they expect, that Russia would keep importing their goods in return?

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/gl...ail-poland-rules-eu-court-human-rights-303696

Yes, it surely sucks for the people, but I don't give a shit about their government and their government will get shit for this.

It also seems as if Russia is currently thinking about denying overflight rights to European airlines, which is an answer to sanctions against Russian airlines. Which would make such flights way more expensive.

As far as I know it was (still is?) a sanction against one single Russian airline. With a grand total of ~3 planes. And a single destination that's within Crimea.

ICKE

Banned

Yes, it surely sucks for the people, but I don't give a shit about their government and their government will get shit for this.]

How are Polish farmers responsible for what took place in some US black sites? It is true though that Poland has been very vocal against Russia, a lot of historical grudges, but it does not justify how these sanctions function. It is insane that we have been very close to a military conflict and some European countries are openly profiting from arms sales while others are hurting from limitations to agricultural exports.

Fox318

This all started because Ukraine wanted to join the EU, NATO and leave CIS.

This is a European problem and the EU is starting to act on it.

This only becomes a US problem when Russia starts to move on NATO boarders.

This all started because Ukraine wanted to join the EU, NATO and leave CIS.

This is a European problem and the EU is starting to act on it.

Majority of Ukraine wanted the EU, not NATO.

Enkidu

Majority of Ukraine wanted the EU, not NATO.
The majority of the population might not have wanted to join NATO (there was never a referendum on it at the time) but the Ukrainian government did ask for NATO membership in 2008 together with Georgia. NATO declined because France and Germany did not want to piss off Russia (and look where that got us, both countries got invaded by Russia not long after).

ICKE

Banned
I really hope these sanctions are not going to hit Valio (probably the biggest producer of dairy products in Finland) as the trade with Russia is worth 400 million euros every year.

jimi_dini

How are Polish farmers responsible for what took place in some US black sites?

That's why I said that it sucks for the people. Those people have nothing to do with it.
Polish government isn't producing anything (except bullshit), which means Russia isn't able to sanction them directly. So they sanction their economy instead. And that's like all sorts of sanctions work as well.

It is true though that Poland has been very vocal against Russia, a lot of historical grudges, but it does not justify how these sanctions function.

Well, the western sanctions don't make sense as well. These here are just payback. The Polish government will get shit for this, which is nice. I guess the farmers could still sell their apples to Western Ukraine. Anyway I'm pretty sure that EU will pay for it. Which is insane as well.

It is insane that we have been very close to a military conflict and some European countries are openly profiting from arms sales while others are hurting from limitations to agricultural exports.

All of it is insane. It is also insane that a Dutch mayor wanted Putin's daughter to get deported. That doesn't make sense at all. But well, who cares.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/23/mh17-dutch-mayor-vladimir-putin-daughter-deport

That's why I said that it sucks for the people. Those people have nothing to do with it.
Polish government isn't producing anything (except bullshit), which means Russia isn't able to sanction them directly. So they sanction their economy instead. And that's like all sorts of sanctions work as well.

Well, the western sanctions don't make sense as well. These here are just payback. The Polish government will get shit for this, which is nice. I guess the farmers could still sell their apples to Western Ukraine. Anyway I'm pretty sure that EU will pay for it. Which is insane as well.

You know that Russian government talk shit about other countries? One of the prime example is Gerinovski.

Can you please provide sanctions that you don't understand? As for now they are all understandable and too light.

All of it is insane. It is also insane that a Dutch mayor wanted Putin's daughter to get deported. That doesn't make sense at all. But well, who cares.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/23/mh17-dutch-mayor-vladimir-putin-daughter-deport

So, EU is land of gays, EU is dead land, EU citizen is stupid and their education system is shit (this is all words of Russian government, politicians and elite). Every one must prize Russia and never go to EU. So thats why all children of government is living in EU, USA, AU, Canada, etc.

ICKE

Banned

I understand your reasoning. I'm just saying that, within the context of our European community, it is not fair that certain countries do not have to really put anything on the table as a result of our foreign policy initiatives.

To be honest I don't really care about US interests, I'd rather they put any papers related to that transatlantic trade and investment partnership in a pipe and smoked it. We should distance ourselves from Washington, have a clear playbook for our own sanctions and then compensate those countries that suffer as a result of Russian retaliation.

Tovarisch

tumblr_inline_n9o0udfRMx1qfnfiq.gif

Purkake4

Banned
I understand your reasoning. I'm just saying that, within the context of our European community, it is not fair that certain countries do not have to really put anything on the table as a result of our foreign policy initiatives.

To be honest I don't really care about US interests, I'd rather they put any papers related to that transatlantic trade and investment partnership in a pipe and smoked it. We should distance ourselves from Washington, have a clear playbook for our own sanctions and then compensate those countries that suffer as a result of Russian retaliation.
There are some pretty obvious risks doing business with an increasingly totalitarian and unpredictable Russia, which is also why many eastern European countries have been steadily dropping trade with Russia, random bans on Lithuanian meat etc. don't make for a stable business environment. If you don't suffer from EU-wide sanctions, you'll suffer when Russian tanks roll into Narva, or heaven forbid Lappeenranta.

This is not a one-time crazy situation, it's a clear pattern from Moldova to Georgia to Ukraine and Finland can't just sit around and be the neutral middleman between Russia and Europe as it did during the Cold War.

jimi_dini

Well, if "our" governments wouldn't do stupid non-thought-through shit, then nothing would have happened. Or maybe it is actually thought through, who knows. Nowadays I just have to read a few lines of various "newspapers" and it feels as if a cold or even hot war is right in front of the door.

To be honest I don't really care about US interests, I'd rather they put any papers related to that transatlantic trade and investment partnership in a pipe and smoked it.

I think that's the major problem. "our" governments are not on our side, but effectively on US government's side (see for example NSA spying on us - the population - and their inability to do anything about it). What's nice is that they are currently going against our own economy and the economy is definitely not going to like that.

We should distance ourselves from Washington, have a clear playbook for our own sanctions and then compensate those countries that suffer as a result of Russian retaliation.

I think we should rather do a full stop and not continue to spill oil in the fire. We might severely burn ourselves. The other option is to fully follow through with this logic. And pull sanctions against US as well. And Israel. And send all those US troops home.

But sadly I don't think that will happen. Instead we will spill even more oil.

http://www.neues-deutschland.de/artikel/940649.nato-bereitet-manoever-in-ukraine-vor.html

NATO is preparing a maneuver in Ukraine next month. (US Army + Ukraine military will lead, involved are 16 nations, total of 1300 soldiers). I think it's going to get really ugly. Oh and by maneuver, I actually mean 8 maneuvers at the same time.

But don't worry, I bet it's for freedom, peace and democrazy™

Darknight

Ever since Putin's gang seized like 90% of the media, the Russian population is under constant mind-rape.
Like such..
hyIbMLt.jpg

(they have taken it down when it led to an outrage, back up)
(edit: check out the source too, some random-ass blog, rofl)

Bear in mind that this is the English version of RT. The Russian propaganda directed at Russians on the other hand...

Russia is so fucking weird. Like you would think its 2014 and Russia is a developed nation yet reading shit like this is like looking back in time. Why does Putin and his "administration" need to take over the media? As much as I hate FOX NEWS in the US, I know its just some dumb ass channel and can look for other opinions on other networks and the internet, obviously. Do Russia's government limit internet use as well?

The Adder

Banned

Do you actually just not know what you're talking about or do you pretend to be this oblivious so you can do drive by posts about how much America sucks.

Fox318

I'm just saying that this is an issue that only Europe can truly act on.

Unless the US starts putting embargoes on everybody I don't see Europe moving at all. The real power in Europe is in Merkel and Germany and they have not come out as strong as the British or Dutch against Russia.

If the EU really wants to get back at Russia they should seize Russian assets in their banks and start to think about ways they can get off Russian energy.

Then again European politics is a shit show and nothing will happen. Russia could launch a tactical nuke against France and half the nations would sit back and do and say nothing.

Russia is so fucking weird. Like you would think its 2014 and Russia is a developed nation yet reading shit like this is like looking back in time. Why does Putin and his "administration" need to take over the media? As much as I hate FOX NEWS in the US, I know its just some dumb ass channel and can look for other opinions on other networks and the internet, obviously. Do Russia's government limit internet use as well?
They recently passed some law requiring all bloggers with more the 3000 thousand visitors to register with the state.

Russia is back-sliding badly.

antonz

This is going to harm the russian citizens greatly but State Propaganda will play it up as a patriotic suffering for the good of the state and the population will eat it up.

Crimea has had food shortages and empty shelves since being taken over and now its going to apply to mainland.

The people parroting China have no clue. China is not some Saintly country out to rescue Russia. In fact I am sure they will offer their food and services but they will do so at extreme markups.
Just like that "Oil Deal of the century" with China they dragged Russias naked ass over burning coals on that one. Russia will barely break even on the deal that was supposed to make them tons of money.

Purkake4

Banned
This is going to harm the russian citizens greatly but State Propaganda will play it up as a patriotic suffering for the good of the state and the population will eat it up.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being "fascist EU trying to starve poor Russians who have suffered enough as it is".

Jhriad

Yours or mine. Because my common sense tells me the Russians would have nothing to gain from such an attack, whereas the US would have everything to gain by making such an attack look like the responsibility of Russia.

So let me get this straight, you think that the US would view it as an acceptable risk and/or have more to gain in murdering citizens of some of their closest and most important Western allies and in doing so potentially alienate themselves from the entirety of the world and setting back American diplomatic efforts globally several years if not decades? More so than Russia, the country with whom Ukraine shares significant economic ties (Russia is Ukraine's single largest trading partner and Ukraine is in the top 5 for both Russian imports and exports)? What more exactly would the US have to gain in that situation? The international community was already largely condemning Russia and had put some form of sanctions in place. Your "common sense" reads like some incredibly misguided trolling (best of luck with that on GAF) or a statement of ignorance on the situation in Ukraine, the mounting evidence regarding MH17, and a willingness to believe groundless crackpot theories that fit your world view despite evidence to the contrary.

kess

Russia is better positioned to supply itself agriculturally than in the Soviet years when they actually had to import grain from the West, but it's going to exacerbate an already high rate of inflation on food.

antonz

Coming across the wire now New Decree signed to last 1 year that implements full ban for imports of beef, pork, poultry meat, fish, cheese, milk, vegetables and fruit from Australia, Canada, the EU, the US and Norway.

So Russians will have to pay higher prices.

The rest of us will have lower prices due to oversupply.

I can get behind this.

Yes I realize that it is bad for the economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom