• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG | January 2015 - Prepare yourself for an insatiable year of games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member

QO3XQBF.jpg

rGNC6X4.png
What is GOG? 100% DRM free games of the past and present available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Pay a few bucks, download an installer and play!
Thread info pt 1: Above: Links to GOG.com, GOG's forums, Recommended games by GAF members, MRORANGE's thread of PC gaming threads.
Thread info pt 2: Below: GOG's recent releases (current/past month), followed by a section of quotes for any of the recommended recent releases.
Past yearly threads: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010

Welcome to 2015! Seems like things have slowed down a bunch, but I guess that's somewhat expected. Crimzon Clover: World Ignition gets the banner above,
seemed like the most positively recieved release from the prior month. Hopefully lots of good things are in store for 2015 from GOG! I know I'm looking forward
to the rest of those Lucas Arts games, and whatever other good classics surface over the year. Maybe we'll even see the proper version of TIE Fighter as well!​
qlkfBD5.png

Week 05, 2015 (January 26th - February 1st)​

- Supreme League of Patriots: Season Pass (2015), Adventure
- Cyberia (1994), Shooter
- Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (1997), Shooter
- Star Wars Republic Commando (2005), Action
- Star Wars Starfighter (2001), Shooter
- Grim Fandango Remastered (2015), Adventure​
gXDEO6v.png

Week 04, 2015 (January 19th - January 25th)​

gXDEO6v.png

Week 03, 2015 (January 12th - January 18th)​

- Lords of Xulima (2015), RPG
- Double Dragon Trilogy (2015), Action
- Avernum 2: Crystal Souls (2015), RPG
- King’s Bounty: Dark Side (2014), RPG​
gXDEO6v.png

Week 02, 2015 (January 5th - January 11th)​

- King Arthur’s Gold (2013), Action
- Avernum: Escape From The Pit (2012), RPG
- Space Rangers HD: A War Apart (2013), Strategy​
gXDEO6v.png

Week 52+, 2014 (December 22nd - December 31st)​

- Drox Operative (2012), Action
- Akalabeth: World of Doom (1980), RPG​
gXDEO6v.png

Week 51, 2014 (December 15th - December 21st)​

- Braveland Wizard (2014), Strategy
- NEO Scavenger (2014), RPG
- Metrocide (2014), Shooter​
gXDEO6v.png

Week 50, 2014 (December 8th - December 14th)​

- Anomaly Korea (2013), Strategy
- Anomaly 2 (2013), Strategy
- King's Bounty: Warriors of the North (2012), RPG​
gXDEO6v.png

Week 49, 2014 (December 1st - December 7th)​

- Dead State (2014), RPG
- Lumino City (2014), Adventure
- Crimzon Clover: World Ignition (2014), Shooter
- Pixel Piracy (2014), Adventure
- Freedom Planet (2014), Action
- Agarest: Generations of War (2014), RPG
GOG Winter Sale (NeoGAF thread)

draetenth

Hooray, the first thread of a New Year. Happy New Year everyone! Drox Operative ended up being my first purchase. Now to find the time to play it...

I want to get all of the games (that I don't already have) in this Interplay sale. What a fantastic collection. Wish the discounts were a bit better though.

Minsc

Gold Member
Which Jagged Alliance game is worth playing/the best one?

When I went through all the impressions (within the last year) for the recommended list, Jagged Alliance 2 is the one that stood out the most.

Fevaweva

Jagged Alliance 2 is THE best Jagged Alliance game. It is almost inarguable, honestly. The story is pretty hilariously cheesey, but it plays the best.

Minsc

Gold Member
First two releases of the year up, Avernum: Escape From The Pit and Space Rangers HD: A War Apart.

Both on sale for 50% off ($10 off for Space Rangers, and $5 off for Avernum), and both are remakes of games that come well recommended. I'm not quite sure how Space Rangers HD turned out, but I imagine decently, and the Avernum remake being a bit older has a number of impressions here and turned out nicely if you're looking for an older-style RPG.

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure was my jam in my earliest years. It has a bit of issue with visibility (that is, you'll probably be running into enemies a lot if you don't take it at a casual pace), but the graphics and settings are so colorful, whimsical and inventive that I can't help but still love it.

Hocus Pocus was another favorite of mine. It's a bit on the basic side (there are only really four types of enemies, period: ones that fly and shoot at you, ones that walk and shoot at you, ones that walk and speed up when you're close by, and ones that fly and drop things on you - the graphics for these change from level to level but otherwise behave the same), but it's fairly solid mechanically and worth messing around with. Lazy Game Reviews has got a review here, if that helps any.

Duke Nukem is pretty decent, although tonally pretty different from what he became in 3D. I mean, yeah, you get to kill aliens in II at least, but otherwise, the games are arguably much more family-friendly (like, not totally family-friendly, but there aren't any hookers or giblets in the game that I know of).

Didn't play Realms of Chaos, although I've heard good things. LGR did a review of it here. Crystal Caverns I used to play around the same time I was into Cosmo, although I never really got anywhere in it. Secret Agent is basically Crystal Caverns again, but with a spy-movie motif and more focus on combat (or was it stealth? Not entirely sure).

Also, if you bought the 3D Realms pack that recently came out, you'd already have all of these and a bit more - albeit not on GOG.

ricki42

I have a free Steam version from indiegala if you want it.

Thanks a lot for the offer, but I just saw that the Steam version is Windows only. I'm trying to put my money where my mouth is and support Linux (and gog!) whenever I can.
But again, thanks for offering!

Teppic

Thanks a lot for the offer, but I just saw that the Steam version is Windows only. I'm trying to put my money where my mouth is and support Linux (and gog!) whenever I can.
But again, thanks for offering!
It's just the game files that you run with DOSBox. You can get it running on Linux if you want.

ricki42

It's just the game files that you run with DOSBox. You can get it running on Linux if you want.

I know. But the point is to make it count as a Linux sale. If the game is sold as a Linux version on gog, I prefer supporting that version over the Windows version on Steam, even if I can run both equally well.

D3RANG3D

I have never played any of these games other than Incoming, Expendable and, Bloodrayne but they were cheap so I said what the hell.

Slipstream 5000
Ultimate Body Blows
Expendable
Incoming+Incoming Forces
Bloodrayne
Advent Rising
Super Frog
World Rally Fever
Soulbringer

The fighting game Ultimate Body Blows looks so cheesy I had to pick it up, one of the reviews mentioned One Must Fall 2097 as a better fighting game did some google searching, apparently this went freeware (according to Wikipedia), so someone said what the hey let's make a remake.

titch

I have never played any of these games other than Incoming, Expendable and, Bloodrayne but they were cheap so I said what the hell.

Slipstream 5000
Ultimate Body Blows
Expendable
Incoming+Incoming Forces
Bloodrayne
Advent Rising
Super Frog
World Rally Fever
Soulbringer

The fighting game Ultimate Body Blows looks so cheesy I had to pick it up, one of the reviews mentioned One Must Fall 2097 as a better fighting game did some google searching, apparently this went freeware (according to Wikipedia), so someone said what the hey let's make a remake.

Body blows was so frustrating on the old amiga took ages to load swapping disks and then it kicked my ass - raged on my joystick and cracked the case. I miss my old comp pro 5000. Well i miss the memories i bought one of the usb version ages ago and now its lying in a corner somewhere.

D3RANG3D

Body blows was so frustrating on the old amiga took ages to load swapping disks and then it kicked my ass - raged on my joystick and cracked the case. I miss my old comp pro 5000. Well i miss the memories i bought one of the usb version ages ago and now its lying in a corner somewhere.

I still don't get how to control it properly. :(

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Selection has not created any sort of insatiable appetite for me so far this year.

When GOG is on, they bring it. But this cold spell right now is painful.

Minsc

Gold Member
Two releases so far this week, Avernum 2: Crystal Souls & King’s Bounty: Dark Side.

Crystal Souls is the long overdue re-make sequel of the recently released (on GOG) Avernum remake, Escape From The Pit. If it's anywhere as well done as Escape From The Pit, it should definitely be worth checking out.

King's Bounty: Dark Side, I just can't get too excited for the series now, the endless amount of expansions (or whatever you want to call them) seem to gather less and less favorable impressions as they go on. Certainly compared to the impact the original King's Bounty had, none of them really captured that magic imo, from what I've read. But I guess if they still work well enough, and people enjoy them... well why not.

mclem

Crystal Souls is the long overdue re-make sequel of the recently released (on GOG) Avernum remake, Escape From The Pit. If it's anywhere as well done as Escape From The Pit, it should definitely be worth checking out.

Oh, Jeff finally remade the second game? I might get around to looking at it. I played Exile way back when, and was itching to get back into the series when the first remake hit, so I thought I'd wait that out, got distracted, and by the time it was on my radar again the second remake hit!

Double Dragon's out. Not my sort of game, but I'll admit to being curious about how good the emulation is and how well the online multiplayer works.

ricki42

Boo. I've been excited to see the uptick in GNU/Linux support on GOG, but I want more.

They have been adding games though. It's 174 now (unless I miscounted), and maybe a month ago I counted something like ~165, don't quite remember.
But I want more, too! I'm still hoping they'll announce The Witcher 3 for Linux, but it sounds like they're having their hands full with the other versions.

GOG has Lucas games wave 2 up.

X-Wing Alliance
X-Wing vs Tie Fighter
Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds + expansion
Dark Forces
Battlefront 2
KOTOR 2

Really happy to see Galactic Battlegrounds there.

Minsc

Gold Member
Is Dark Forces good?

It can be a bit punishing, but it had an enjoyable story and some fun puzzles if you can tolerate older style-FPS. It's very maze-like at times though, way worse than Doom ever was. But that could be a plus depending on what sort of FPS experience you enjoy. I definitely remember it being fairly difficult, but it's been a while since I played it.

Also, GOG is poking fun at how many games they have in their library with the word "Planet" in them with a "Planetarium" sale.

This includes recent release Freedom Planet, which I still recommend checking out if you somehow haven't already. I think Lovely Planet is supposed to be good, too, although I haven't tried it personally.

ShadowOwl

A warning for those who plan to buy X-Wing Alliance:

There appear to be some issues unqiue to the GOG release of XWA. [1] The in-flight resolution is locked at 800 x 600, [2] briefings might be a bit messy and [3] and the well-known craft packs by Darksaber and XWA Upgrade cannot be installed right now (which isn't GOG's fault).

The original disc version has its fair share of problems with modern systems, even though most of these can be fixed. Keep your eyes open for updates on these problems.

Edit: Okay, here's why this release feels different than the original one: http://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_...es/xwa_flight_engine_locked_at_800x600/post15 Feel free to buy then. :)

Dsyndrome

Any guesses for what they release later this week and next? My guess is the Jedi Knight games already on Steam like Dark Forces 2, Academy, and Jedi Outcast; also Empire at War, Rogue Squadron, and the first Starfighter.

Dsyndrome

Surprised there's still no word on GOG Galaxy, only instance I've seen (without going through the GOG forums since I can't at work) was it's partial implementation with the Beta for the Witcher Adventure Game.

I know that a lot of the games I would get on GOG I get on Steam because of it, DRM or no, for the multiplayer, achievements, etc. I would hope that folks working on Witcher 3 isn't hindering Galaxy and vice versa, would almost certainly be separate folks working on each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom