• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG | December 2014 - The man with the hat is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member

0fFdIVU.jpg

rGNC6X4.png
What is GOG? 100% DRM free games of the past and present available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Pay a few bucks, download an installer and play!
Thread info pt 1: Above: Links to GOG.com, GOG's forums, Recommended games by GAF members, MRORANGE's thread of PC gaming threads.
Thread info pt 2: Below: GOG's recent releases (current/past month), followed by a section of quotes for any of the recommended recent releases.
Past yearly threads: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010

Holiday sales time coming up, been a bit busy so a short recap for this month. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis gets the banner this month, just
sneaking in being in a crossover month. Have a little catching up to do with the recommendations too. Not expecting too many big surprises from GOG
this month, but it would be nice to see some more of those LucasArts titles sometime soon!​
qlkfBD5.png

Week 52+, 2014 (December 22nd - December 31st)​

- Drox Operative (2012), Action
- Akalabeth: World of Doom (1980), RPG​
gXDEO6v.png

Week 51, 2014 (December 15th - December 21st)​

- Braveland Wizard (2014), Strategy
- NEO Scavenger (2014), RPG
- Metrocide (2014), Shooter​
gXDEO6v.png

Week 50, 2014 (December 8th - December 14th)​

- Anomaly Korea (2013), Strategy
- Anomaly 2 (2013), Strategy
- King's Bounty: Warriors of the North (2012), RPG​
gXDEO6v.png

Week 49, 2014 (December 1st - December 7th)​

- Dead State (2014), RPG
- Lumino City (2014), Adventure
- Crimzon Clover: World Ignition (2014), Shooter
- Pixel Piracy (2014), Adventure
- Freedom Planet (2014), Action
- Agarest: Generations of War (2014), RPG
GOG Winter Sale (NeoGAF thread)
gXDEO6v.png

Week 48, 2014 (November 24th - November 30th)​

- The Witcher Adventure Game (2014), Adventure
- Aliens Versus Predator Classic 2000 (2000), Shooter​
gXDEO6v.png

Week 47, 2014 (November 17th - November 23rd)​

- The Marvellous Miss Take (2014), Action (NeoGAF |OT|)
- Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms (2014), Action​
gXDEO6v.png

Week 46, 2014 (November 10th - November 16th)​

- This War of Mine (2014), Action
- Randal's Monday (2014), Adventure
- Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword (2011), RPG
- Mount & Blade: Warband (2010), RPG
- Mount & Blade (2008), RPG
2014 GOG DRM-Free Big Fall Sale! (NeoGAF thread)
Mount & Blade Giveaway (NeoGAF thread)
gXDEO6v.png

Week 45, 2014 (November 3rd - November 9th)​

- A Bird Story (2014), Adventure
- Rocket Ranger (2014), Action
- Infested Planet (2014), Strategy
- Tales of Maj'Eyal (2012), RPG
- Lovely Planet (2014), Shooter​
gXDEO6v.png

Week 44, 2014 (October 27th - November 2nd)​

gXDEO6v.png

4aRGKeV.png

xEEOR1Y.png

SvO4kpZ.png

2dsCfIv.png

QB1qYi0.png

TWXC1Cz.png

B4Vdd2k.png

aIsyZWM.png

hex1Kw1.png

EACQp7S.png

terrisus

GOG is practically impossible to casually browse now, what with their mix of movies, upcoming games, and who knows what else, haphazardly tossed everywhere on their page. Just a complete mess (even aside from my issues browsing in Opera).

Pretty much just using this thread for updates now, and going there and searching for specific titles.

Catshade

The Winter Sale thread is accidentally up on the GOG forum:

48-hour Frost Flash Frenzy with 30 deals per hour, daily bundles, awesome games up to 90% off, and Age of Wonders for FREE!

Winter is upon us and the holiday season is nigh, so what better time to get your game on and stack up with great titles at ridiculous prices?! Let's kick off the 2014 DRM-free Big Fall Winter Sale! If you're getting a feeling of déjà vu, look closer: we've prepared a brand new lineup of flash deals and fresh daily bundles for you, for the next 11 days!

Your holiday shopping rush begins with the 48-hour Frost Flash Frenzy: 30 flash deals available every hour for the first two days of our Big Winter Sale! We also have an awesome "first come, first served" gift: 250.000 copies of the seminal turn-based strategy classic Age of Wonders for FREE. If you're a fan, make sure you pick up Age of Wonders 2: The Wizard's Throne and Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic 85% off in today's daily bundle and the more recent entry to the franchise Age of Wonders 3 Deluxe Edition available 60% off for the first 24 hours of the sale!

But, obviously, there is much more to our Winter Promo. Today's daily bundles include the acclaimed S.T.A.L.K.E.R. trilogy as well as our flagship pairing of the Witcher 1&2. Today's flash deal include hit titles like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Dreamfall Chapters, Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Terraria, and many more.

So there you have it, the BIG Winter Sale is here to bring you a gaming good time. Visit daily to get the best deals!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
December's gonna be the month of Freedom Planet and Crimzon Clover: World Ignition. It's going to be a good month.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yes, and the game has a sequel too, Generations of War Zero, both which have already been ported to iOS/Android, and both which fair poorly from what I've seen of impressions mentioned here. Grindy, boring, need a FAQ to get through the timelines properly, etc, there are much better SRPGs to play is the consensus I believe.

Persona7

Banned
Yes, and the game has a sequel too, Generations of War Zero, both which have already been ported to iOS/Android, and both which fair poorly from what I've seen of impressions mentioned here. Grindy, boring, need a FAQ to get through the timelines properly, etc, there are much better SRPGs to play is the consensus I believe.

ah, ok. thanks. I think i'll skip it.

I vaguely remember watching a youtube video or two years ago but I wasn't interested.

Minsc

Gold Member
I was browsing the two threads on the game after updating the OP, and the impression I got is it's decent, but no Shovel Knight. I noticed a few more critical people played the free demo and found it lacking, but overall people do seem to enjoy it.

Which I suppose is perhaps the best way to answer your question, the free demo.

Tizoc

wait

is agarest the boobs mouse pad game

That can be any game from Japan :V

...but Agarest has a kickass soundtrack, though its later successor games are much better I hear.

I will always remember from this game: The Giant Chicken Boss of Doom.
Yes one of the major bosses in the game was a giant chicken...that kicked my ass.

I was browsing the two threads on the game after updating the OP, and the impression I got is it's decent, but no Shovel Knight. I noticed a few more critical people played the free demo and found it lacking, but overall people do seem to enjoy it.

Which I suppose is perhaps the best way to answer your question, the free demo.
He was asking about Pixel Piracy, though.

But on the subject of Freedom Planet... Honestly, I think it's one of the better indie titles to come out this year. The mechanics are solid for all three playable characters, the graphics are colorful and detailed, and the soundtrack is absolutely stellar. It's well worth a look to anyone with a passing interest in fast-paced 2D action platformers.

I can levy a few complaints toward it, admittedly. First off, the plot took a backseat during development to the actual game, so some scenes had to be chopped down to eliminate lines that'd just raise questions that'd never be answered, while some scenes never wound up being made at all; the end result is generally considered rather uneven. (Doesn't help that a short stage from the game intending to break up a fifteen-minute block of cutscenes between Relic Maze and Fortune Night ultimately never got made!) The voice-acting can also be considered highly hit-or-miss, although frankly I was fearing the worst on that front and actually came out pretty pleased with the performances, beyond a few. Either way, if it's not to your liking, you can, fortunately, skip all that by using Classic Mode instead of Adventure Mode, focusing solely on where all the polish went: the action. Also, as great as the level design generally is, there are points where it feels like they don't differentiate between the characters quite enough - their gameplay differentiates them plenty already, of course, but there are only a few moments where each character sees a totally different path through a stage from the others.

But overall, do I think these drag the product down? Not really, no. It's got all the momentum-based platforming from the Sonic series that pretty much no other series nailed (not even Sonic itself as of late, depressingly) while having solid combat mechanics that are somewhere between Rocket Knight Adventures and Mega Man X4's Zero. Shovel Knight might be the more solid platformer, but Freedom Planet scratched an itch I needed scratching much more than SK did. A very, very solid first title from GalaxyTrail.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Freedom Planet for 50% off seemed like a no-brainer, I've been feeling like playing a Genesis platformer for the last week or so.

Tizoc

Freedom Planet for 50% off seemed like a no-brainer, I've been feeling like playing a Genesis platformer for the last week or so.

The story isn't for everyone so maybe consider playing Classic mode which skips cutscenes. Though this would mean skipping some of the cool scenes that feature the main villain Brevon.

Tizoc

Well this was interesting, apparently buying multiple items for gifting generates 1 code from gog.

Well if anyone's interested in DRM-free, try your luck at this
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

PGP3OVL.png
Crimzon Clover and Freedom Planet GOG key -- MB-5442D64BC6173061 - Taken by Jawmuncher. 11 entrants total.

t1417627750z1.png

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm not used to GOG getting multiple games I want in a week... but man. Two days in a row.

Freedom Planet and Crimzon Clover. This is what I wanted to see.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The story isn't for everyone so maybe consider playing Classic mode which skips cutscenes. Though this would mean skipping some of the cool scenes that feature the main villain Brevon.

I like some saturday cartoon cheese, doesn't bother me in the slightest. So far the story is about the same level as Dust: An Elysian Tail so it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
The actual gameplay itself I feel has been a bit harshly judged from stuff that I've read as I am having an absolute blast with it, it's fast but the controls are extremely responsive. Graphics and soundtrack are both amazing, soundtrack more so. Hope to see more from these guys in the future.

Weird, there are some people on GOG who now seem insistent the devs for Freedom Planet are astroturfing support for their game simply because a few people who have accounts on both Steam and GOG copy-pasted their reviews from the former to the latter.

That's... not really evidence of planted reviews, to my reckoning. Just some really supportive fans who are too lazy to write a new review for the new site.

I mean, true, the game has ~500 reviews on Steam, and a 98:2 positive-to-negative ratio... but I don't think that's because of a conspiracy, it's probably because the game is a bit niche and not very-well-publicized, but really hit it big with its niche.

Cheddahz

Banned
I'm not used to GOG getting multiple games I want in a week... but man. Two days in a row.

Freedom Planet and Crimzon Clover. This is what I wanted to see.

I'm definitely picking up Crimzon Clover this week (I've heard excellent things about it and it's been a while since I've played a good shmup)

Persona7

Banned
Weird, there are some people on GOG who now seem insistent the devs for Freedom Planet are astroturfing support for their game simply because a few people who have accounts on both Steam and GOG copy-pasted their reviews from the former to the latter.

That's... not really evidence of planted reviews, to my reckoning. Just some really supportive fans who are too lazy to write a new review for the new site.

I mean, true, the game has ~500 reviews on Steam, and a 98:2 positive-to-negative ratio... but I don't think that's because of a conspiracy, it's probably because the game is a bit niche and not very-well-publicized, but really hit it big with its niche.

I saw that in one of the reviews.

Catshade

Premature announcement from Gamespot: The winter sale begins tomorrow.

Up to 250,000 copies of Age of Wonders will be given away at a first come, first served basis. Other games that will be discounted include The Witcher and The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings at 85% off, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. bundle at 75% off, Wasteland 2 at 33% off, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter at 40% off, and more.

cicero

Wow, the GOG threads sure slowed down to a complete stop for the past week...

I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly thought that this sale wasn't that bad at all. I came away with another 16 games, all bundle or flash priced. My main issue with the promotion is still the same. It needed a much wider variety of games in the flash sale selections. I disliked that it started so soon after the Autumn sale, that was fairly ridiculous. It ended too quickly, hopefully they will still do something special for Winter Solstice or Christmas itself.

Minsc

Gold Member
I've felt lately the number of games releasing (in general over console/PC/handheld/mobile) is just so much more saturated than ever before. GOG isn't really over-doing it themselves, but now when I see a game I'd enjoy is releasing, I feel reluctant to buy it even on sale, because there's just so many more to get as well, the game either has to be something I'm particularly attached to or something I will play immediately. Unless I start finishing like 10 games a week (which atm isn't really a possibility), new releases are mattering less and less to me because there's just way too many of them to keep up with I feel. And the more platforms you have access to, the less time you have to each one individually.

It certainly doesn't help in my case investing in a timesink like Hearthstone or The Pinball Arcade / Pinball FX 2, where there's no really end to those games, but it does help my budget a little I suppose. :)

Besides that, the interest in the thread does seem to be lessening a little, whether that's fatigue from the monthly format setting in, being in Community, something else, or perhaps all the above. It sometimes takes great releases to get the thread rolling, or news to speculate over. The six LucasArts games certainly got the thread moving prior to release and during, but what happened to the rest of them, we're still waiting. And there has been a few more notable titles after them, but not necessarily classic standouts like those.

Dsyndrome

The Last Crusade and Full Throttle would get this thread in gear again, who knows if/when they'll be released though. As for the sale, most of the games are ones I've bought in previous sales already (King's Quest, Gabriel Knight, etc.) so I mostly check each day to see if anything awesome and classic got snuck in along with the sale.

cicero

I've felt lately the number of games releasing (in general over console/PC/handheld/mobile) is just so much more saturated than ever before. GOG isn't really over-doing it themselves, but now when I see a game I'd enjoy is releasing, I feel reluctant to buy it even on sale, because there's just so many more to get as well, the game either has to be something I'm particularly attached to or something I will play immediately. Unless I start finishing like 10 games a week (which atm isn't really a possibility), new releases are mattering less and less to me because there's just way too many of them to keep up with I feel. And the more platforms you have access to, the less time you have to each one individually.
I can't imagine trying to keep up with every platform. I have been PC/Handheld only for a while now and I can't even keep up with that. At this point my old position, that I was expanding and maintaining a personal "library" that I enjoyed perusing at my whim, is looking a little thin and more like mere collecting. I think heavy bundle buying is what is doing that for me. It has become less about careful quality based decisions and more about seeing a cheap bundle and thinking in terms of average price per title.

GOG purchases still feel like a kind of luxury for me though because they are infrequent. I have the self-imposed discipline to only buy during sales now, and most of the time only if it is at least 70% off. There are always exceptions, like the recent 50% off Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky flash sale, which I was so tired of waiting for. Honestly though, I just have so many other things to play at this point. So GOG feels different, but ends up being somewhat the same. Until I actually sit and play my games and get the real value out of the products I buy, their value to me consists more about the pursuit of the deal to acquire them than anything. Which of course is a sentiment most would define as mere "collecting".

Besides that, the interest in the thread does seem to be lessening a little, whether that's fatigue from the monthly format setting in, being in Community, something else, or perhaps all the above. It sometimes takes great releases to get the thread rolling, or news to speculate over. The six LucasArts games certainly got the thread moving prior to release and during, but what happened to the rest of them, we're still waiting. And there has been a few more notable titles after them, but not necessarily classic standouts like those.
Just my two cents: I literally never came into the Community section more than a few times every year before the Steam/GOG threads were relegated into Community. I still feel they are mainly News threads and their impact is tied to that specifically. As soon as any thread becomes the focal point for general news and information regarding a larger subject, Community aspects are naturally going to display themselves within that thread. I don't think that negates or changes the News purpose that those threads serve though. It doesn't help that the GOG threads were never large to begin with too. Monthly threads over larger longstanding threads is probably going to slow things down somewhat. I really appreciate and enjoy the new slick informative format to these Monthly threads though, I would absolutely keep that. I tried keeping the GOG thread updated with promo/sales related news for about a year, so I can imagine the continued effort it takes to do all of the work that goes into what you do now.

GOG itself simply doesn't have the size or impact that Steam does, so newsworthy info to talk over is nowhere near comparable. The informative and helpful nostalgia tinged discussions and suggestions were always my favorite aspect of these GOG threads. If it were me, I would revive the threads by putting them back into Gaming, and loosen up a little as a forum and let a reasonable amount of those natural community aspects that I would expect to find in any large focused threads anywhere exist in large threads in Gaming. I'm sure that Galaxy will generate quite a bit more interest. It will be interesting to see how that pans out, if they pattern themselves on aspects of Steam, like player organized groups, etc.

cicero

Weekend Promo: Nordic In-n-Out. Nordic Games is back for 4 days only. All 35 of these titles had been removed from the GOG library until this second, and possibly last, chance to pick them up. Deals are even larger this time around, 75%-85% off everything, 90% off if you buy them all. Offer lasts until Tuesday, December 23, at 10:59AM GMT.

Promo Page: http://www.gog.com/promo/weekend_promo_nordic_special_191214

Promo News Page: http://www.gog.com/news/weekend_promo_nordic_innout

I regretted not picking up everything I wanted before, not going to do that again, even if it sucks into my Steam sale funds.

Catshade

Just realized I still have an unclaimed TW2 key; Expires on Jan 1, 2015, so the winner please redeem it ASAP.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=942550.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

PGP3OVL.png
The Witcher 2 (GOG) -- MB-7FB05F1AA6B2D581

t1419111945z1.png

Weekend Promo: Nordic In-n-Out. Nordic Games is back for 4 days only. All 35 of these titles had been removed from the GOG library until this second, and possibly last, chance to pick them up. Deals are even larger this time around, 75%-85% off everything, 90% off if you buy them all. Offer lasts until Tuesday, December 23, at 10:59AM GMT.

Promo Page: http://www.gog.com/promo/weekend_promo_nordic_special_191214

Promo News Page: http://www.gog.com/news/weekend_promo_nordic_innout

I regretted not picking up everything I wanted before, not going to do that again, even if it sucks into my Steam sale funds.

Didn't mean to bump this, well yeah I did cause I don't like making new threads and people need to be aware.

I just got Gothic 2 Gold and Gothic 3 (3 needs community patches to be playable) for $1.50 each.

I'm LTTP on the Gothic series, but holy fuck balls these games are fantastic. So far both games have been some of the best single player RPG's I've played. I personally put both above many other large single player RPG's like Morrowind and Oblivion, especially Gothic 2. Gothic 3 is good as well but only if you download and install the community patches.

Minsc

Gold Member
So it's added to the free catalog?

Yes, seems to be a permanent addition going by the text:

By a special decree from the court of Lord British, Akalabeth: World of Doom shall be henceforth available for FREE to all of the gamer folk, alongside Ultima 4: Quest of the Avatar, Worlds of Ultima: The Savage Empire, and Ultima Worlds of Adventure: Martian Dreams (the two spin-offs of the saga).

cicero

Akalabeth is free right now ---

for those that don't know, we're talking Lord British before Ultima.

Not to mention the Ultimate Ultima deal promo they have running alongside that release. 80% off the complete bundle, only 60% off if you break the bundle and choose individual titles. Promo ends Friday, December 26, 8.59AM GMT.

http://www.gog.com/promo/special_promo_ultima_series_241214

Ultima 1+2+3
Ultima 4+5+6
Ultima 7 The Complete Edition
Ultima 8 Gold Edition
Ultima 9: Ascension
Ultima Underworld 1+2

Kagemusha

Good thing they extended it.

I want to see what Diakatana is all about.

The following are not on Steam and $1.49 each

Pandemonium 2
Project Eden
Total Overdose
Gangsters: Organized Crime

Persona7

Banned
yeah...I thought I got daikatana on gog before but I don't have it. I remember renting it on N64 but I don't remember much about it.

Darn, I didn't realize that Nordic sale had all of the games previously taken down. Hopefully GOG can reconcile with 'em in the future.

I've also never heard of a 1998 version of Akalabeth, which apparently has CGA graphics and a new MIDI soundtrack. Gotta check that out.

Persona7

Banned
John Romero something something something

I need to tear that out of one of my old magazines and frame it.

Darn, I didn't realize that Nordic sale had all of the games previously taken down. Hopefully GOG can reconcile with 'em in the future.

I've also never heard of a 1998 version of Akalabeth, which apparently has CGA graphics and a new MIDI soundtrack. Gotta check that out.

I fell asleep and missed the two games I wanted to get, lol. I should not have waited so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom