• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Beasts Of No Nation’ Revelation Abraham Attah Joins ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

2SXG8PK.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: Abraham Attah, the 15-year old Ghana-born actor who was discovered while playing soccer and made a remarkable screen debut alongside Idris Elba as the primary child soldier Abu in Cary Fukunaga’s Beasts Of No Nation, has joined the cast of Spider-Man: Homecoming. The Jon Watts-directed pic from Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios is the first major role that Attah has taken since that Netflix film, and he joins recent additions Donald Glover, Martin Starr and Logan Marshall-Green, alongside the webslinger played by Tom Holland, with Robert Downey Jr playing Iron Man and Michael Keaton playing The Vulture. Zendaya, Michael Barbieri, Kenneth Choi, Tony Revolori and Marisa Tomei are also starring. Attah is on the set in Atlanta. Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal are producing.

Source (Deadline)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Good for him. Kid was absolutely fantastic in Beasts, obviously not expecting that kind of performance here but it's great to see him in this.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
This kid went from having a random audition while playing soccer with his friends, to being cast in one of the best movies of 2015 to being cast in Spider-man. He must pinch himself each morning to make sure he isn't dreaming.

It's well deserved, though, he did an amazing job in Beasts of no Nations.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Miles Morales!

He should be Harry Osborn. Idris Elba as Norman (I know GAF would love that).

In all seriousness, I'm enjoying the casting news of this movie. Really, really talented actors and actresses.

Beasts of No Nation is such an underrated film. Hollywood's hate boner for Netflix is what kept it from getting at least one nomination at the Oscars.

Toxi

Banned
This kid was fucking amazing in Beasts of No Nation. Easily the best child actor performance I've seen in a movie.

Beasts of No Nation is such an underrated film. Hollywood's hate boner for Netflix is what kept it from getting at least one nomination at the Oscars.

Fukunaga even said he kind of regretted selling it to Netflix because it really cut the legs off of their awards opportunity.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
That dude has to be Miles

He'd make a great Miles but there's no way that they introduce two Spider-men into the MCU this early on. If he is Miles then he'll just be a character named Miles Morales that never ends up getting Spidey powers.

Slayven

He'd make a great Miles but there's no way that they introduce two Spider-men into the MCU this early on. If he is Miles then he'll just be a character named Miles Morales that never ends up getting Spidey powers.

Yeah, Holland hasn't even warmed up the shooters good.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I don't see why they can't have him play Miles. He doesn't have to be Spider-Man anytime soon, but it'd be great if he was a peer/friend of Peter's, and ends up having his accident off screen (in a scene filmed presently, but revealed four movies down).

He becomes Spider-Man after Peter is off the grid for infinity wars, holding shit together in New York while the other heroes battle Thanos.

It would t undercut Tom Holland's Peter, but allow them to pass the baton if/when he's no longer interested in the role.

Realistically, I expect him to play either Harry Osborn, or Robbie Robertson's son, or a new character. I'm rooting for Harry. It's a trope for him to be the black best friend, but the allure of a black Norman Osborn wrecking shit as the Goblin in a future movie is too exciting.

Dafoe was the GOAT Osborn, so I'd have a hard time accepting another white guy as Stormin' Norman. Kind of like Alfred Molina as Doc Ock. It's hard to imagine another actor embodying that character either. Molina and Dafoe were too good.

No one is forgetting that Miles is mixed race. The way he's drawn in the comics looks more black, but it's not like Hollywood has ever actually cared about casing ethnicities properly anyway. Sigh.

LionPride

Banned
Why does everyone want Miles to be shown in this first movie? Why not wait a few movies then introduce him. Also Miles gotta be black and Latino. Not just black. We can't take that away from him.

Edwins

Wait, is Vulture confirmed to be the villain?

It's all but confirmed that Vulture is a villain, the question is really if he's the only villain. It's hard to say if Rocket Racer, for example, is being set up in this one for a larger role in the sequel or if Rocket Racer is a major part of act three. If Wayne Brady is spotted in Atlanta anytime soon we can't rule out a Hypno-Hustler appearance, either.

Ivan 3414

People probably don't know much about the character.

I was aware that Miles Morales is Latino. I'm also aware that this is Hollywood, where actors are cast as characters outside of their race or nationality

Edit: I'm being unnecessarily snarky. But yeah I wouldn't be surprised if this kid played Miles.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Why does everyone want Miles to be shown in this first movie? Why not wait a few movies then introduce him. Also Miles gotta be black and Latino. Not just black. We can't take that away from him.

Introducing Miles earlier as a friend if Peter Parker would make it easier for audiences to make the transition from Peter to Miles as the new Spider-Man. Not that Holland would be axed, but they could spin the series off (no pun intended), and having a pre-established, and hopefully charming and like able miles could give Sony and Marvel a secondary Spider-Man franchise that wouldn't just feel like they're repeating themselves character wise.

I'm not thinking Miles should have powers in the first movie, but be introduced so the audiences are familiar with him if they wanted to go that route. Kind of like it'd probably be easier for Marvel to have Bucky or Falcon become the new Captain America if Evans stepped away from the role, and I imagine it'd be a better pill to swallow for audiences than just dropping either of them as the new Cap with no prior setup.

And there's no way they'd ignore Mile's latino side. His mother is a huge part of who he is, and his motivations as Spider-Man.

Edit: never say never, ice. We have no idea what Sony and Marvel's plan for Spider-Man is. I wouldn't be surprised if the spin off idea Sony originally wanted to have doesn't resurface in some form. Hollywood is about making money, and if they see that Miles as Spidey can make them money in some fashion (a spin off movie or tv series), I'm sure they'll see what can happen.

But like I said before, I think there's a greater chance of Abraham being Harry Osborn, or maybe an original character, than Miles.

LionPride

Banned
So people do realize Miles is also young as hell right? Would be younger than Parker. I know they can do whatever they want, but I don't wanna see Miles yet. I don't even wanna hear the name miles in these movies yet.

Also why would they be friends

Slayven

So people do realize Miles is also young as hell right? Would be younger than Parker. I know they can do whatever they want, but I don't wanna see Miles yet. I don't even wanna hear the name miles in these movies yet.

Nope lol that is why they keep pushing for a 30 year old to play a 13 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom