• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Go back to CA’: Couple’s car, house vandalized (Portland, OR)

Quixzlizx

What data do you have that suggests that should be where the blame lies? I would be interested in reading it.

I don't know what you mean. Read a book about supply and demand? Government restrictions on new construction and the NIMBYs who champion them keep the supply lower than the demand.

Meier

Lots of anti California sentiment in Colorado too. It's dumb shit. Colorado people hate Texans too.

I think I remember you also went to the Ryan Adams show at Red Rocks the other week now that I'm seeing this. What an amazing venue.. totally lived up to and surpassed my expectations. We stayed with friends who moved from Austin last year, haha.

There are certainly segments of the population with anti-CA sentiment in Austin since so many homes get bought up with cash from CA buyers.. a lot of longtime residents feel like Austin has lost its essence. My wife and I have only been here for 7 years so no biggie to us, although it's sad not being able to afford a house.

leroidys

I don't know what you mean. Read a book about supply and demand? Government restrictions on new construction and the NIMBYs who champion them keep the supply lower than the demand.

So no, you have nothing?

Saying that housing prices are 100% driven by NIMBY's and government regulation is some fantasy land ultra libertarian bullshit.

Lil Marco

Banned
Isn't it trendy and artisanal because it got gentrified in the first place? Seems kinda like that's the culture of Portland

Partially- and that's also what contributes to the influx of trend-conscious Californians moving there. Snowball effect.

OTOH, lots of California residents are being priced out and they are heading to other states where the living costs are cheaper.

Quixzlizx

So no, you have nothing?

Saying that housing prices are 100% driven by NIMBY's and government regulation is some fantasy land ultra libertarian bullshit.

It's a good thing I didn't say that. Nice temper tantrum, though.

What's your solution? Banning people outside of Oregon from moving there?

What data do you have that suggests that should be where the blame lies? I would be interested in reading it.

Portland's housing regulations (lack thereof) and the city government's mishandling of the city's planning and difficulties in allowing for urban housing are well documented by most of the local media here.

It's not really just "Dern outsiders keep pricing us out of our homes" and while a whole bunch of frustrated residents love to believe that somehow a low-rated IFC sketch comedy show that you can only watch if you choose a specific cable package is largely responsible for the influx of people moving here (as if people are watching Fred Armisen and deciding to pack up based on laughing a couple times), part of the reason there's only so many homes in the first place, and no real growth/expansion is due to city planners prioritizing damn near everything BUT affordable housing for current and new residents, and doing so for DECADES now.

And again, it's worth keeping in mind that even with that lack of planning, there's an imaginary barrier a lot of Portlanders are installing, where people could find affordable housing but consider having to move east of 82nd (with the rest of the Old Portlanders) or out west near Beaverton/Raleigh Hills suburbs to be literally beneath them, and so they don't really pursue it.

There are a large number of people who helped gentrify the city in the first place complaining about gentrification NOW because they think they're too good to move out here where the rest of us are. Like, look how many people in this thread are automatically blaming California for home prices being consistently 10-15k above asking.

It's not all Californians. A lot of that is Portlanders coming in over the top as their opening offer because having to live out by 134th or whatever is fucking ANATHEMA to them.

Somnid

That's exactly what I have heard happen here in CA but it was Chinese investors who were buying up property. Thus, causing some Californians to look for cheaper properties in other states.

Yeah, I think the geographic over centralization of industry is causing a lot of problems. Basically the 1% are kicking out the 2% and the 2% are kicking out the 10% and so on. Tech in particular has no reason to be so centralized, if they spread out more then we wouldn't have mass migrations like this and housing could grow more organically. Doubly so because they had to pull over so many H1B visa workers, not because there wasn't enough talent but because everyone had to stuff 20K software engineers into one campus and no population can fill that sort of mono-employment.

Nafai1123

Banned
yep I've known a few people leave California for Texas due to cost of living

also Atlanta seems to be a hot spot

Anywhere that is investing in tech jobs are going to face this problem. You try to bring in money from the tech sector by being a more tax-friendly state than CA, which then brings in big investments from tech giants, which then brings in lots of jobs, which then brings in people who want those jobs, which then prices out people who don't have those high-paying jobs.

It's a tough situation that is ultimately fueled by the growth of the tech sector in relation to other industries. Sadly I don't see that changing anytime soon.

psyfi

Banned
For context, Portland has a long history of gentrification and racism, and people here can be very sensitive about people they perceive as contributing to that. The city had dramatically changed, with rents going up and historically black neighborhoods being torn down to be new shopping distracts for wealthy white people.

Kevtones

Will add that when I visit home people ask where I live and I say 'Los Angeles' and I do get a negative response on occasion. I actually say 'I was born/raised in Eugene' as some sort of OG 'don't worry I'm cool' mechanism. It's weird.

yrba1

Always heard stories of Oregonians and their animosity against Californians, not gonna let this bother me if I decide to move to Oregon in the future; interested in moving there mainly because the weather is nicer (prefer colder climates and with less hot summers) I'll keep that in mind to hide my Californian identity when I visit there.

leroidys

Portland's housing regulations (lack thereof) and the city government's mishandling of the city's planning and difficulties in allowing for urban housing are well documented by most of the local media here.

It's not really just "Dern outsiders keep pricing us out of our homes" and while a whole bunch of frustrated residents love to believe that somehow a low-rated IFC sketch comedy show that you can only watch if you choose a specific cable package is largely responsible for the influx of people moving here (as if people are watching Fred Armisen and deciding to pack up based on laughing a couple times), part of the reason there's only so many homes in the first place, and no real growth/expansion is due to city planners prioritizing damn near everything BUT affordable housing for current and new residents, and doing so for DECADES now.

And again, it's worth keeping in mind that even with that lack of planning, there's an imaginary barrier a lot of Portlanders are installing, where people could find affordable housing but consider having to move east of 82nd (with the rest of us Old Portlanders) or out west near Beaverton/Raleigh Hills suburbs to be literally beneath them, and so they don't really pursue it.

There are a large number of people who helped gentrify the city in the first place complaining about gentrification NOW because they think they're too good to move out here where the rest of us are. Like, look how many people in this thread are automatically blaming California for home prices west of 82nd being consistently 10-15k above asking.

It's not all Californians. A lot of that is Portlanders coming in over the top as their opening offer because having to live out by 134th or whatever is fucking ANATHEMA to them.

Yeah, that sounds pretty dumb, and I definitely hear a lot about that from my brother who lives in Portland. I'm not too up on prices in different areas, so I don't know how feasible it is to just move a bit further out into less trendy areas. Honestly I'm mostly projecting about the Seattle area, where every single community within an hours drive of Seattle has hit record prices, and prices in Seattle have literally doubled in the past 5 years.

It's a good thing I didn't say that. Nice temper tantrum, though.

What's your solution? Banning people outside of Oregon from moving there?

I was simply responding to the words that you wrote in response to my post. It seemed safe to assume that by saying we should blame x, that x was actually the main culprit. If that's not what you meant, you should work on your posts.

Honestly I'm mostly projecting about the Seattle area, where every single community within an hours drive of Seattle has hit record prices, and prices in Seattle have literally doubled in the past 5 years.

Yeah, Seattle's problems with housing are a whole nother universe. I heard the median house price within like an HOUR'S commute from Seattle's Downtown is something like 600k? Something like that?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think I remember you also went to the Ryan Adams show at Red Rocks the other week now that I'm seeing this. What an amazing venue.. totally lived up to and surpassed my expectations. We stayed with friends who moved from Austin last year, haha.

There are certainly segments of the population with anti-CA sentiment in Austin since so many homes get bought up with cash from CA buyers.. a lot of longtime residents feel like Austin has lost its essence. My wife and I have only been here for 7 years so no biggie to us, although it's sad not being able to afford a house.

Yeah red rocks is amazing.

I'm glad the weather held out that night because things looked like they may get nasty. It was cool watching the thunderstorm over the city.

Lots of anti California sentiment in Colorado too. It's dumb shit. Colorado people hate Texans too.

I've heard it's the people from Texas and California that come to CO, act like assholes to people and are among the worst drivers on the road. I haven't experienced it myself, but those factors plus the insane housing costs lead to the "Stop Moving to Colorado, Oregon, etc" signs.

And again, it's worth keeping in mind that even with that lack of planning, there's an imaginary barrier a lot of Portlanders are installing, where people could find affordable housing but consider having to move east of 82nd (with the rest of the Old Portlanders) or out west near Beaverton/Raleigh Hills suburbs to be literally beneath them, and so they don't really pursue it.

There are a large number of people who helped gentrify the city in the first place complaining about gentrification NOW because they think they're too good to move out here where the rest of us are. Like, look how many people in this thread are automatically blaming California for home prices being consistently 10-15k above asking.

I mean in all seriousness, 82nd is a just a massive street of shit department stores, strip malls, and car sale lots. I can understand why no one wants to go out there.

leroidys

Yeah, Seattle's problems with housing are a whole nother universe. I heard the median house price within like an HOUR'S commute from Seattle's Downtown is something like 600k? Something like that?

Yeah it's absolutely nuts. My brother's trying to convince me to move to Portland to escape it haha.

This is more of a (tasteless) protest against gentrification than anything else. Californians move to the PNW because it's trendy and artisanal.

Nah. Portland has a history of its "locals" even having gentrified and pushed out smaller communities that preceded it. It's a city and state with a racist past and that still has a contentious present. I had a good experience in Portland but a lot of the liberal viewpoints that are to be found in that city sit in stark contrast with its ethnic homogeneity and racist history.

In cases like these it's a case of xenophobia to anyone who's not one of their own.

Meier

Yeah red rocks is amazing.

I'm glad the weather held out that night because things looked like they may get nasty. It was cool watching the thunderstorm over the city.

When the lady came on but asked for no flash photography, I was so sure they were gonna cancel it.. shit was scary, man.

What's the next Seattle/Portland/Austin?

The Raleigh-Durham area is apparently pretty hot as well.

Izuna

Banned
Of course. It's in the nature of humanity to be tribal. If places aren't, it's just because they have things to distract them or they're really well off.

I'm not from the US, I'm from the UK. But over here, we have county hate: in some cases we have city hate. This shouldn't come as a surprise. Right here > over there.

Postcode hate more like 😆

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
And I thought people here in Texas hated California.

Not to this degree but gentrification in Austin is so bad for lower income families that they've closed schools even after allowing kids outside of Austin to enroll. This isn't just disliking outsiders but families forced out because $5k property taxes is now 10k and rapidly approaching 15k.

I grew up in Portland. The hate was so real. No one I knew liked Calfornians and most blamed them for pretty much every problem.

Portlanders love that their city isn't important. The fact it's become sort of a hipster mecca must be driving them insane.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
When the lady came on but asked for no flash photography, I was so sure they were gonna cancel it.. shit was scary, man.

The Raleigh-Durham area is apparently pretty hot as well.

Asheville too.

Basically, look for a place with a thriving craft beer scene. It is a very good indicator of a booming area.

Is this a thing? Do people in Portland not like people from CA, or is this a single crazy person?
We don't like rising house prices, the market is insane in Portland for how little industry is actually here.

Another reason why Oregon is my least favorite state, honestly. Full of exclusionary, pretentious assholes. Fuck these vandals; fucking jack asses.

Oh yeah, fuck the Trail Blazers, must be great to have your team always crushed by the Lakers every year.
Oh boy, you've got great points... bringing sportsball into any real argument. Smart.

Earendil

Perhaps it's like Washington or Colorado where Californians with money are moving in droves and causing the housing prices to skyrocket?

This happened to us in Colorado. It's now to the point that you can barely find a two bedroom condo under $300k in Fort Collins.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Portland. 🙄🙄🙄

Kindekuma

Banned
Sucks to the couple. I just moved back to Portland after moving to Tennessee. Portland could learn a thing or two from TN when it comes to newcomers in the area and meet them with welcome hospitality.

As a Californian, no need to remind me to stay out of Oregon. I'm sure they could tell by my accent where I'm from.

I always said that man will always find new ways to find prejudice in each other. Even if we all look exactly the same and come from the same place, we'll find a way.

Top Bottom