• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Go back to CA’: Couple’s car, house vandalized (Portland, OR)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Locals have been angry about this for decades. The funny thing is that half the population is from California at this point.
The funnier thing is that some of the older transplants are angry about newer transplants.

My relatives who moved to Portland from SoCal in the late-'70s want to move back. Their kids and grandkids have already started doing that.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Is this a thing? Do people in Portland not like people from CA, or is this a single crazy person?

We've had them for all my 30+ years on this planet. Won't stop either. You can visit, but don't stay.

WELL, so much for visiting OR if they don't like us Californians. :(

Again, we don't visitors.. but we hate people moving in jacking up prices and pricing out locals.

Californians and others are what drove the gentrification on NE and North Portland, and outsiders are behind most of the skyrocketing prices of housing in my town. Along with that they brought more traffic.

Our city wasn't set-up for it, and our lawmakers can do fuck all to stop it at this point.

I don't condone the vandalism, but still.. I don't like outsiders moving in and buying our properties.

..but come visit for sure.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Im from Portland never hated anyone. Got cut off by someone with Cali license plates one day and now I hate all of them!
Well I saw a car with Oregon plates blow through like 3 four way stops as if they were just a normal stop sign completely obliviously. We almost hit and then 30 seconds later someone else almost hit her and the whole time she's looking around going like "why are these cars driving into me???"
:p

You know where a ton of Portlanders are increasingly from? Michigan. Michigan and Illinois.

Edit: Xtian's post above is a good example of the shit I've been highlighting throughout the thread.

finalflame

This is one of the things that bums me out the most about the PNW. I'm personally a California transplant in Seattle, and while I haven't faced any retaliation at this level for being a transplant, I hate that there's an overall hostility. There's a reason we're republic of states and can move freely between them. Get the fuck over it.

Again, we don't visitors.. but we hate people moving in jacking up prices and pricing out locals.

Californians and others are what drove the gentrification on NE and North Portland, and outsiders are behind most of the skyrocketing prices of housing in my town. Along with that they brought more traffic.

Our city wasn't set-up for it, and our lawmakers can do fuck all to stop it at this point.

I don't condone the vandalism, but still.. I don't like outsiders moving in and buying our properties.

Hot tip: it's not yours to say who can and can't move in. Blame your local government for not moving fast enough to adapt infrastructure and the likes. I'm sure they city isn't complaining about the added tax revenue.

jvalioli

We've had them for all my 30+ years on this planet. Won't stop either. You can visit, but don't stay.

Embarrassing.

If I move to Oregon, it will be due the fact that I'm more than willing to move to a place where I don't have to drive a car and have the ability to engage in a sustainable lifestyle. Also, I'll never be able to afford expensive property and don't want expensive property. And I'm tired of cookie cutter development and shitty shopping malls made for wealthy white people.

Kelsdesu

If I move to Oregon, it will be due the fact that I'm more than willing to move to a place where I don't have to drive a car and have the ability to engage in a sustainable lifestyle. Also, I'll never be able to afford expensive property and don't want expensive property. And I'm tired of cookie cutter development and shitty shopping malls made for wealthy white people.

According to him you still aint welcomed there.

Please not Minneapolis...

Ding, ding, ding. The liberal Seattle/Austin/Portland/Denver crowds are likely to start migrating to:

1. Minneapolis
2. Raleigh
3. Salt Lake City

Cost of living in these areas is still dramatically low and have managed to delay heavy influx due to key negative factors (weather, "The South", and Mormons, repsecitvely). I would put Nashville on there too if its housing wasn't already fucked.

Quixzlizx

Yeah, that sounds pretty dumb, and I definitely hear a lot about that from my brother who lives in Portland. I'm not too up on prices in different areas, so I don't know how feasible it is to just move a bit further out into less trendy areas. Honestly I'm mostly projecting about the Seattle area, where every single community within an hours drive of Seattle has hit record prices, and prices in Seattle have literally doubled in the past 5 years.

I was simply responding to the words that you wrote in response to my post. It seemed safe to assume that by saying we should blame x, that x was actually the main culprit. If that's not what you meant, you should work on your posts.

Even communists understand that supply and demand have actual effects on pricing, so calling me a libertarian for bringing it up is misinformed.

For example, in San Francisco, there is a finite amount of land that's surrounded by water, so that's one hard limitation. But there are also people who are against high-rise apartments being built in their neighborhoods because they like that their neighborhoods consist only of single-family houses.

If that neighborhood had 1000 residential units instead of 100, I think you would agree that it would help the overall housing supply in the city.

And I said you should blame housing/zoning/rental laws instead of people moving in, because there's nothing you can do about people moving in, unless you want to ban people from moving to your city, which is stupid and ridiculous. If more people want to live in your city than there are places to live, the two solutions are to 1. Create more places to live, 2. Make your city shittier so less people want to live there. Which one sounds better to you?

III-V

Not sure but when I saw it I immediately though that was a woman's handwriting. I did not say anything, but asked my wife to look at the vandalism they had done. She says a woman wrote that.

OK detective GAF go get her.

Somnid

Hot tip: it's not yours to say who can and can't move in. Blame your local government for not moving fast enough to adapt infrastructure and the likes. I'm sure they city isn't complaining about the added tax revenue.

It's kinda hard for people because when you're living paycheck to paycheck and rent continues to creep up while giving you no say in the matter, you're going to take it out. It's like telling people who are drowning "tough luck."

I hope people recognize this. I'm always skeptical of people moving for work but if it's where you want to live, you'll respect the hell out of it.

Quixzlizx

It's kinda hard for people because when you're living paycheck to paycheck and rent continues to creep up while giving you no say in the matter, you're going to take it out. It's like telling people who are drowning "tough luck."

I hope people recognize this. I'm always skeptical of people moving for work but if it's where you want to live, you'll respect the hell out of it.

Don't worry, I only move places for the drug scene.

Who uses gold spray paint to vandalize someones house?

rs-171124-139042159_10.jpg

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
This is one of the things that bums me out the most about the PNW. I'm personally a California transplant in Seattle, and while I haven't faced any retaliation at this level for being a transplant, I hate that there's an overall hostility. There's a reason we're republic of states and can move freely between them. Get the fuck over it.

Don't have to get over it, I can be angry at it all I want. This is my hometown. Also, tell the people priced out of their neighborhoods and city who lived here that they should get over it. People on the street because their rent was doubled.

House prices of fucking tripled in areas in the last decade.

Embarrassing.

So be it.

If you ain't buying a house, and plan to be part of the community you'll be welcomed. The fucking transplants are the ones who bought houses in established neighborhoods and bitch about all the people already living there that they don't mow their lawn or want to work on their car in driveway.

Nafai1123

Banned
Don't have to get over it, I can be angry at it all I want. This is my hometown. Also, tell the people priced out of their neighborhoods and city who lived here that they should get over it. People on the street because their rent was doubled.

House prices of fucking tripled in areas in the last decade.

So be it.

If you ain't buying a house, and plan to be part of the community you'll be welcomed. The fucking transplants are the ones who bought houses in established neighborhoods and bitch about all the people already living there that they don't mow their lawn or want to work on their car in driveway.

Californians have been dealing with this shit for years. The reason they're moving is the exact same reason people in Portland/Austin/etc are now complaining. Housing in the town I grew up in became too expensive so I had to move farther north. It sucks but that is the reality of living in areas with higher than average growth in STEM industries.

You're also making a lot of generalizations about the people moving there.

Raven117

Vandalism should never be supported.

That said, California folks have been invading other places due to a host of issues with the state of California. Denver, Portland, Austin have been flooded with Californians flush with cash having just sold their overpriced Cali house, and is now raising the cost of living in their respective cities.

Not saying thats a reason to vandalize anything, but there is some backlash against the Cali folks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
With names like "Jessica Faraday and Preston Page" they sound like they fit right in in Portland.

Vandalism should never be supported.

That said, California folks have been invading other places due to a host of issues with the state of California. Denver, Portland, Austin have been flooded with Californians flush with cash having just sold their overpriced Cali house, and is now raising the cost of living in their respective cities.

Not saying thats a reason to vandalize anything, but there is some backlash against the Cali folks.

There's a backlash from idiots, who deserve to be called out as idiots. Nobody is "invading".

Raven117

There's a backlash from idiots, who deserve to be called out as idiots. Nobody is "invading".

Ha, it feels like an invasion to many of them. (Its a little hyperbole, lighten up).

Regardless...you can see how some folks who claimed a place "home" who had planned and were accustomed to a specific cost of living curve, now has to deal with a higher cost of living.

They aren't idiots.

Syriel

House don't sell unless someone is selling them.

Locals are the ones making bank off increased demand. Not out-of-towners.

Congrats, you have encapsulated NIMBYism, "Got mine!," and Brexit sentiments all in one post.

It's not a shocker that if a place is desirable, people will want to live there. Unless you are advocating that we go with the Chinese system where the government dictates where you can live with permits, or go back to an old feudal system where you are tied to the land you are born on.

Yeah, given Portland's history and its views of "who gets to live here," I'm gonna say fuck what the city and its locals want at this point. If everyone in Portland holds steadfast in mantras like "Keep Portland Weird" and whatnot, they can choose to not sell their homes for above asking to Californians. For as much as its locals can bemoan the increased housing prices, they're complicit in it.

Congrats, you have encapsulated NIMBYism, "Got mine!," and Brexit sentiments all in one post.

Basically. People wanna act like the "locals" represent the people who were first on that land hundreds of years ago and pretend like - even if you trace the family tree back far enough - you won't find a family member who moved to Portland to begin with from somewhere that wasn't Portland.

Piggus

No, because hating California is an inferiority complex thing. No one feels inferior to NJ.

You do realize that one of the main reasons people from other states hate on Californians is because of this smug we're-better-than-every attitude, right?

Fercho

LOL

Raven117

It's not a shocker that if a place is desirable, people will want to live there. Unless you are advocating that we go with the Chinese system where the government dictates where you can live with permits, or go back to an old feudal system where you are tied to the land you are born on.

We need to have a talk about how real estate works. Yeah, the homeowner selling their place may have enjoyed some upside, but it is wrecking havoc on young folks and young families who have yet to purchase homes frozen out of the market. Moreover, local builders, buyers, owners, now have more limited access to captial because Californias who are cash heavy due to their recent selling of their house in Cali can simply pay cash instead of having to borrow money. Local folks can't compete with that.

Regardless, it doesn't matter. A state can't actively stop Cali folks from coming to their state for jobs and such. Its going to happen whether the locals want it to or not. At least its worth understanding a bit of where a local economy is coming from before one simply calls them idiots.

Also, to Xtian's point regarding Californians gentrifying North and Northeast Portland: Nah. Portland drove its minorities out of those areas (after shunting them there in the first place) all by itself. Californians didn't do that.

Moreso, it's not a fukin tribe LOL

I didn't realize north west coasters were so tribal

It's obnoxious. I moved to So Oregon from Tahoe, CA and people love to shit talk about these geographical locations as if it actually amounted to anything more than verbal diarrhea.

When it comes to CA, OR, and WA
We all have awesome wildernesses
We all have weird ass people
We all have awesome cities
We all just wanna to live in a place we like

Let's get along shit heads

Ha, it feels like an invasion to many of them. (Its a little hyperbole, lighten up).

Regardless...you can see how some folks who claimed a place "home" who had planned and were accustomed to a specific cost of living curve, now has to deal with a higher cost of living.

They aren't idiots.

They sure do sound like idiots to me. Rising cost of living is something a lot of people have to deal with. You don't blame the people just looking for a place to live.

Top Bottom