• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Go back to CA’: Couple’s car, house vandalized (Portland, OR)

Somnid

Also, to Xtian's point regarding Californians gentrifying North and Northeast Portland: Nah. Portland drove its minorities out of those areas (after shunting them there in the first place) all by itself. Californians didn't do that.

White people migrated to that area, and all it shows it that white people are still migrating to that area, just much richer ones who are probably even choosier about their neighbors.

Piggus

It's obnoxious. I moved to So Oregon from Tahoe, CA and people love to shit talk about these geographical locations as if it actually amounted to anything more than verbal diarrhea.

When it comes to CA, OR, and WA
We all have awesome wildernesses
We all have weird ass people
We all have awesome cities
We all just wanna to live in a place we like

Let's get along shit heads

You're welcome here, friend.

Sincerely,

A native of southern Oregon

leroidys

Even communists understand that supply and demand have actual effects on pricing, so calling me a libertarian for bringing it up is misinformed.

For example, in San Francisco, there is a finite amount of land that's surrounded by water, so that's one hard limitation. But there are also people who are against high-rise apartments being built in their neighborhoods because they like that their neighborhoods consist only of single-family houses.

If that neighborhood had 1000 residential units instead of 100, I think you would agree that it would help the overall housing supply in the city.

And I said you should blame housing/zoning/rental laws instead of people moving in, because there's nothing you can do about people moving in, unless you want to ban people from moving to your city, which is stupid and ridiculous. If more people want to live in your city than there are places to live, the two solutions are to 1. Create more places to live, 2. Make your city shittier so less people want to live there. Which one sounds better to you?

I agree that the proper way forward is to devise a positive plan of action rather than figuring out the correct way to apportion blame. You're the one that brought up blame assignation, however.

As to the actual plan, you can't just extrapolate San Francisco's issues away from that wholly unique situation and ascribe them to other cities. The binary choices you presented are not comprehensive for one, and two, presents a false dichotomy.

Atenhaus

We've had them for all my 30+ years on this planet. Won't stop either. You can visit, but don't stay.

Again, we don't visitors.. but we hate people moving in jacking up prices and pricing out locals.

Californians and others are what drove the gentrification on NE and North Portland, and outsiders are behind most of the skyrocketing prices of housing in my town. Along with that they brought more traffic.

Our city wasn't set-up for it, and our lawmakers can do fuck all to stop it at this point.

I don't condone the vandalism, but still.. I don't like outsiders moving in and buying our properties.

..but come visit for sure.
fucking wew lad

Typical asshole who thinks they can roll up the carpet for anyone who came after them. You epitomize the "got mine, fuck you" attitude that's so pervasive in the PNW.

t. Puget Sound native

I agree that the proper way forward is to devise a positive plan of action rather than figuring out the correct way to apportion blame. You're the one that brought up blame assignation, however.

As to the actual plan, you can't just extrapolate San Francisco's issues away from that wholly unique situation and ascribe them to other cities. The binary choices you presented are not comprehensive for one, and two, presents a false dichotomy.

You most certainly can extrapolate San Fran's issues (namely limited areas in which to build and local intransigence to new housing in SFH neighborhoods) to Seattle and Portland. We've got the same issues up here.

Hydrus

This incident is terrible, no excuses, but I understand why people are pissed, and I live in California. People like me who have lived here our whole lives and now are trying to make it on our own, are struggling because of how insanely expensive it is here. So people leave in droves and go to places like Oregon and unfortunately make it hard for people who already live there. All this comes down to the foreign investors who bought/ buying up all the real estate here, using it as banks to stash their money and it fucks over everyone trying to live here. California really needs to be like Canada and start taxing these investors. Then, maybe young people could afford to live here and not have to leave to other states.

Raven117

Gold Member
They sure do sound like idiots to me. Rising cost of living is something a lot of people have to deal with. You don't blame the people just looking for a place to live.

Nah, they are just normal folks man. I mean, they aren't taking the Cali. folks out back and beating the sheet out of them. Moreover, its not like we are hearing about the wide-spread persecution of Californians.

So some locals like the way things are and now can identify a group of folks coming to the city that is affecting what they like (cost) about the city....These people aren't idiots. They just like things they way they were. It will be fine. Things change. People beetch. Its the circle of life.

They crushed all that was cool about Austin and made it an insufferable hipster haven...but hey...things change haha!

We've had them for all my 30+ years on this planet. Won't stop either. You can visit, but don't stay.

Again, we don't visitors.. but we hate people moving in jacking up prices and pricing out locals.

Californians and others are what drove the gentrification on NE and North Portland, and outsiders are behind most of the skyrocketing prices of housing in my town. Along with that they brought more traffic.

Our city wasn't set-up for it, and our lawmakers can do fuck all to stop it at this point.

I don't condone the vandalism, but still.. I don't like outsiders moving in and buying our properties.

You're literally a bad person, in your heart. And I say this as someone who lived in the PNW for 13 years and then went in the opposite direction, moving to CA.

If you really want to blame people for existing near you instead of your municipality's inability to handle people, then you're on a dark timeline, breh.

Somnid

Strangely, it seems like this is quite literally San Francisco's problems becoming other cities problems. Like overpaid and under housed tech workers are fleeing like refugees, that's how bad SF got.

Syriel

Google Ad game is ON POINT today.

gafhousegss4a.jpg

We need to have a talk about how real estate works. Yeah, the homeowner selling their place may have enjoyed some upside, but it is wrecking havoc on young folks and young families who have yet to purchase homes frozen out of the market. Moreover, local builders, buyers, owners, now have more limited access to captial because Californias who are cash heavy due to their recent selling of their house in Cali can simply pay cash instead of having to borrow money. Local folks can't compete with that.

Regardless, it doesn't matter. A state can't actively stop Cali folks from coming to their state for jobs and such. Its going to happen whether the locals want it to or not. At least its worth understanding a bit of where a local economy is coming from before one simply calls them idiots.

I know how real estate works. I'm not sure that the other poster does, as he's making villains of people who just want a place to live.

It's locals that restrict development via NIMBYism.

"Who needs intelligent growth? Let the next city over GET BIG!!!"

It's locals that go with "Screw you, GOT MINE!"

"Why should we build more housing? I've got my house. The value is only going to GO UP!!!"

And Brexit was all about keeping "the other" out.

"If only those people who got priced out of CA would just stay homeless!!! How dare they move to this awesome place that we've built."

I mean, in the end, real estate boils down to demand. Real estate in high demand areas will always have value. SF is the example everyone uses because it's true. If you make a place desirable, other people will want to come.

Outside of pricing, how do you determine who has the "right" to live in any given place.

America never had birthright land ownership. That was an old, European thing.

Trouble

Banned

How very Xtian of you.

leroidys

You most certainly can extrapolate San Fran's issues (namely limited areas in which to build and local intransigence to new housing in SFH neighborhoods) to Seattle and Portland. We've got the same issues up here.

Really? Construction in Seattle has been breakneck

y5bKpKZ.jpg

We factually don't have the same issues of nowhere to build, rent control, and rampant NIMBYism (though it certainly exists in well-established Seattle neighborhoods just as anywhere else, it's not nearly the same crimp on growth that it is in SF).

It's the market at work. There was no incentive for the market to have tens/hundreds of thousands of housing units on-hand awaiting a boom. Seattle simply can't absorb this many people, and blaming it on NIMBYs and da gubmint is not going to change that.

Strangely, it seems like this is quite literally San Francisco's problems becoming other cities problems. Like overpaid and under housed tech workers are fleeing like refugees, that's how bad SF got.

There are commonalities for sure. There are stark differences as well.

Let's be crystal fuckin' clear here, though:

While the discussion has moved onto NIMBY-ism, and the provincial attitudes of Portland in general, and provincial attitudes in cities in general, and even more general stereotypical dislike of California—

This act of vandalism was due to a case of road rage, more than likely, and said road rager used the shitty provincial attitudes of Portlanders throughout the decades as an excuse to vent their road rage.

There is nothing to "understand" about the sentiment behind this vandalism because the vandalism wasn't really about where this family moved from, it's about some imbalanced shitheads almost getting hit in a car and freaking out disproportionately.

I agree with this 100%.

Let's be crystal fuckin' clear here, though:

While the discussion has moved onto NIMBY-ism, and the provincial attitudes of Portland in general, and provincial attitudes in cities in general, and even more general stereotypical dislike of California—

This act of vandalism was due to a case of road rage, more than likely, and said road rager used the shitty provincial attitudes of Portlanders throughout the decades as an excuse to vent their road rage.

There is nothing to "understand" about the sentiment behind this vandalism because the vandalism wasn't really about where this family moved from, it's about some imbalanced shitheads almost getting hit in a car and freaking out disproportionately.

Fercho

You should build a Wall around Portland and keep all dirty Californians for taking your houses and all. Make California pay for it.

Raven117

Gold Member
Google Ad game is ON POINT today.

I know how real estate works. I'm not sure that the other poster does, as he's making villains of people who just want a place to live.

It's locals that restrict development via NIMBYism.

"Who needs intelligent growth? Let the next city over GET BIG!!!"

It's locals that go with "Screw you, GOT MINE!"

"Why should we build more housing? I've got my house. The value is only going to GO UP!!!"

And Brexit was all about keeping "the other" out.

"If only those people who got priced out of CA would just stay homeless!!! How dare they move to this awesome place that we've built."

I mean, in the end, real estate boils down to demand. Real estate in high demand areas will always have value. SF is the example everyone uses because it's true. If you make a place desirable, other people will want to come.

Outside of pricing, how do you determine who has the "right" to live in any given place.

America never had birthright land ownership. That was an old, European thing.

There is no "right" as you said. You are of course correct in how it all plays out in the end. Im just saying you can see how locals...a community that they have been a part of for years...may not be happy with the change imparted by the market forces (as you have pointed out). So what if people bitch about it? It will happen one way or another.

As you stated, its all moot. It will happen anyway. Progress is progress. I just think its a good idea to at least acknowledge and understand some folks who may be a little irked by all this.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I actually know where that house is. Gross.

Probably the same people that helped move the black community out of northeast, that then get mad when other people do the same to them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A reminder that most of Oregon was seized illegally by settlers, and is territory of various indigenous peoples of the area (incl/ Walla Walla, Chinook, Klamath, Ute, etc.) -- they were eliminated by forced conversion, smallpox, and also open war against their peoples, so let's maybe stop pretending that it's a great injustice if Salt and Straw raises the prices on their Double Vegan Chocolate Beet-root Quinoa Yoga cone or whatever. At least with the San Francisco people complaining about Chinese purchases driving up the market, the complaint is people buying houses and not using them.

Belfast

I am currently moving to Eugene from CA because of a new job. This doesn't make me feel any better about the transition.

I've heard anecdotally that Oregonians like to hire their own so anyone from outside the state is perceived differently. That's just something I've heard though.

Like most "issues" with immigrants, there are fears that people coming into Oregon from Cali are bringing their culture and money with them. In particular, realtors will jack up home prices to levels where they think Californians will pay them, which raises rents and prices across the board. At least in Eugene, there isn't enough new housing being created to offset this, so it happens here, too, and not just a big city like Portland.

From what I can tell, that seems to be the main issue. So, feel free to come up here, just don't go waving a bunch of money around if you have it?

Quixzlizx

You (or the poster I originally replied to) brought up "blame" by saying they understand people being mad at outsiders. I replied that it is stupid to be mad at people who just want to move somewhere rather than their local government for not reacting to the situation properly.

I chose SF as an example to show you that even places with geographical limitations still have certain policies under their control. Most other cities should be able to deal with the problem EASIER than SF.

And those actually are the comprehensive choices. Anything you do is either to:

1. Create more homes for people to live in or
2. Result in less people living there/wanting to live there

For another example, rent control makes it easier for existing people to live in a city, and harder for new people to move in, so that falls under category two..

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
Moreso, it's not a fukin tribe LOL

I didn't realize north west coasters were so tribal

Yup it's always been a weird thing out west.

Oregon hates California. Northern California hates Southern California. Southern California doesn't care.

III-V

A reminder that most of Oregon was seized illegally by settlers, and is territory of various indigenous peoples of the area (incl/ Walla Walla, Chinook, Klamath, Ute, etc.) -- they were eliminated by forced conversion, smallpox, and also open war against their peoples, so let's maybe stop pretending that it's a great injustice if Salt and Straw raises the prices on their Double Vegan Chocolate Beet-root Quinoa Yoga cone or whatever. At least with the San Francisco people complaining about Chinese purchases driving up the market, the complaint is people buying houses and not using them.

Manifest Destiny and American Exceptionalism in 2017.

wandering

Banned
I'm currently on vacation in the Portland area(Washington side) from cali, visiting my sister and she's been trying to get me to move here but now I'm not so sure.

Vancouver? If you move there you don't have to deal with this kind of attitude, the city's developing land like crazy. You will have to deal with being perennially looked down upon by Portlanders.

shaowebb

Is this a thing? Do people in Portland not like people from CA, or is this a single crazy person?
It's a thing. It shows up in a lot of articles and vids on pros and cons of moving to Portland. I've been looking at stuff out there and it's pretty documented.

It's kinda hard for people because when you're living paycheck to paycheck and rent continues to creep up while giving you no say in the matter, you're going to take it out. It's like telling people who are drowning "tough luck."

I hope people recognize this. I'm always skeptical of people moving for work but if it's where you want to live, you'll respect the hell out of it.

Your skeptical of me getting a better opportunity that requires me to move? FUCKING REALLY?

From what I can tell, that seems to be the main issue. So, feel free to come up here, just don't go waving a bunch of money around if you have it?

Don't worry, I'm not wealthy at all.

OR people reaaaaaly don't like californians from what i've heard.

Years ago it sounded funny, but now thats just stupid. West coast has to stick together in these trying times.

Somnid

Your skeptical of me getting a better opportunity that requires me to move? FUCKING REALLY?

There's lots of places to get jobs. Make sure to pick a good one that jives with you and your personality.

I wonder if that post is causing consternation because people might read "skepticism" to imply a mutual exclusivity. That was not the intent if it came across like that.

Damn, first Portland steals Austin's Keep Weird slogan and now Austin's irrational hatred towards California transplants.

Can't believe this.

Vancouver? If you move there you don't have to deal with this kind of attitude, the city's developing land like crazy. You will have to deal with being perennially looked down upon by Portlanders.
Washougal to be precise. I would rather live here in the forest anyway so I don't need to worry about all the angry people.

SourBear

Banned
Is this a thing? Do people in Portland not like people from CA, or is this a single crazy person?

The housing market is pretty rough in Oregon, and in Portland specifically and a few of the surrounding areas like Eugene, OR.

There are a ton of people moving into the state, a large portion of which is from California. And very few people moving out of the state. This is causing a lot of turmoil in the housing market. Eugene, for example, saw a 16% increase from 2016-2017 in housing prices due to demand.

In Portland, for sale signs on houses were being tagged with "No Californians allowed" on them.

n0razi

I saw a lot of this in Texas (Austin and Dallas in particular)... TONS of Californians moving to Dallas right now so median prices of homes in the area have gone from $250k to $400k+ within a year. Also, seen some of this in Seattle but its mostly 'anti mainland Chinese' over there and in Vancouver.

Which is odd... downtown Vancouver is like a stone throw away from everything of Portland and it's actually not that bad of an area. Definitely more quiet and seems to cater to families but I didn't mind it the few times I was over there.

Darksol

Preston Page is such a California name. Or a comic book character by Stan Lee.

Nonetheless, disgusting shit that happened

leroidys

I am asking a place that is not full of assholes, cause every thread is about shitty people all over the US.

That is just what makes for good news stories these days. Everywhere I've been is mostly good people.
Except for maybe the mid Atlantic.

I saw a lot of this in Texas (Austin and Dallas in particular)... TONS of Californians moving to Dallas right now so median prices of homes in the area have gone from $250k to $400k+ within a year. Also, seen some of this in Seattle but its mostly 'anti mainland Chinese' over there and in Vancouver.

Yeah, Seattle was all about hating Californians in the 80s up through the mid 90s. The "natives" have moved on now to hating Chinese people and Indians. Even though overwhelmingly the people moving here are white Americans. It's pretty fucking gross.

Top Bottom