• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Justice League’ Rumor: Extensive Reshoots Have Completely ‘Remade’ the Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I was trying to come up with a nice way to wish it a happy birthday on twitter, and settled on this:

C_9c7ReVoAAu8ch.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erFcYsC6JaY

I absoloutely love this, because that sound effect was genuinely the only thing I both liked and found memorable about the film as a child.

Like, not even being hyperbolic. That sound effect stuck with me in a way the film's characters and central story absolutely didn't.

Cuburt

I don't know. DC fans are like Nintendo fans in living a life of perceived sleights from growing up with them (growing up might be a misnomer). As someone who likes DC and Nintendo, it's always been a little weird to see how linked the brand and identity are for the hardcore fans. At the same time, both sure attract topics about how they used to be better in the past, or they're doomed, or should sell rights to another company for short term profit...usually all countered by folks who'll defend the brand regardless.

What I'm getting at is that the DCEU is the Wii U of shared universes.

Nah, bruh.

The DCEU is like Sony going through the PS3 era at worse after coming off of years of Playstation success (TDK trilogy = PS2, Batman 89 + Donner Supes = PS1). The MCU now is like 360 era Microsoft in comparison which just makes fans bitter when they remember the OG Xbox to the PS2. As much as I'd hate to admit it, Nintendo is more like the X-Men franchise where even the Wii like hits (Deadpool) haven't done much to turn things around and early hits (NES = X-Men & SNES = X-2) don't make up for the poor decisions of the past (Sony/Nintendo/SE fallout = Last Stand, Virtual Boy = X-Men Origins).

That being said, Nintendo has always had a hugely successful handheld business and has vastly more quality games than poorly received product so I wouldn't say the analogy is really all that accurate or fair.

I think the main reason DCEU fans are so defensive is because they don't want the movies to change. They like the serious tone, slow-motion fighting, lack of humor, etc. So they try to prop them up as big successes and act like everyone who disagrees is out to get them.

OK, this is one remark I don't understand about the DCEU. There is barely any (if any) slow-mo in the three current movies. Wonder Woman is looking to be the first using slow-mo for action.

Toparaman

Banned
I absoloutely love this, because that sound effect was genuinely the only thing I both liked and found memorable about the film as a child.

Like, not even being hyperbolic. That sound effect stuck with me in a way the film's characters and central story absolutely didn't.

The sound work in the prequels is pretty much flawless, better than what we've heard so far in the Disney-era films (TFA in particular had a real weak and weird sound mix.)

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
OK, this is one remark I don't understand about the DCEU. There is barely any (if any) slow-mo in the three current movies. Wonder Woman is looking to be the first using slow-mo for action.

Now that I think about it, you're probably right. I guess I just associate slow-mo with Zack Snyder because he uses it a lot in his other movies.

The sound work in the prequels is pretty much flawless, better than what we've heard so far in the Disney-era films (TFA in particular had a real weak and weird sound mix.)

I liked how Rogue One sounded, but yeah, starting with the first note of TFA's opening crawl, that movie seemed to be missing something at the center of its soundstage.

The belief that there's a conspiracy to denigrate DC movies is insane to me.

It's hilarious because Marvel doesn't have any reason to do this. It's not like their movies run against each other. All the studios stagger their releases so that doesn't happen.

Although if Marvel and DC movies did open on the same weekend that would be great for the message boards.

Will wait on more credible sources like when rogue one got out word of reshoots

Geek sites are so hit or miss with this stuff.

Hope it's not true though, nothing wrong with reshooting to improve something. But such a major overhaul sounds wack. Would much rather see what snyder has cooked up for this for better or worse. Especially since this will likely be his last dc movie.

Rogue One ended up being boring shit, I can only imagine what was intended prior to the reshoot when they kept selling that war movie tone.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
It's hilarious because Marvel doesn't have any reason to do this. It's not like their movies run against each other. All the studios stagger their releases so that doesn't happen.

Although if Marvel and DC movies did open on the same weekend that would be great for the message boards.

This is how you identify a false dichotomy: you can give your support (and money) to both endeavors.

For example, if I were Snyder, I would be intentionally including things for my hate-watchers by now. A ticket sale is a ticket sale.

With the exception of pointing out sound effects and music I like, I know nothing of audio. Did TFA lack a certain "Oomph" or something?

There was low end (I just recently got a new subwoofer so I was going through a bunch of blu-rays to break it in/dial it in) it's just.. It's weird. Stuff happens but there's no real weight to the soundtrack? I don't mean the music (although it wasn't mixed well, either) but I dunno. I guess "airy" is as close as I can get?

It's a pretty minor knock, overall, but I did notice it on first watch.

There was low end (I just recently got a new subwoofer so I was going through a bunch of blu-rays to break it in/dial it in) it's just.. It's weird. Stuff happens but there's no real weight to the soundtrack? I don't mean the music (although it wasn't mixed well, either) but I dunno. I guess "airy" is as close as I can get?

A bunch of center-channel laser and explosion effects are weirdly muted when they definitely shouldn't be. This is a pretty good example of what I'm talking about.

ryan299

Studio insider tells The Wrap that no reshoots have occurred, but there will be pickups later this summer.

Contrary to reports, Warner Bros. and DC Films’ “Justice League” has not undergone massive reshoots, multiple people with knowledge of the film tell TheWrap.

“There has been no additional photography to date on ‘Justice League,’ we have planned and will shoot additional pickups early summer,” says one studio insider.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Studio insider tells The Wrap that no reshoots have occurred, but there will be pickups later this summer.

I'm not really a fan of the way conspiracy-threories have taken over people's consciousness, but it's not all that unthinkable to consider that some of this scuttlebutt is rivalry shenanigans.

Goddamn, this movie is gonna be even more incoherent than Suicide Squad, isn't it?

And LMFAO at the usual suspects here giving the usual "wait for better sources" "biased articled" "Disney/MCU CONSPIRACY!" fanboy whining we see every time.

Sorry kids, this will the third time a DCEU film has had problems with editing. They do NOT get the benefit of the doubt anymore.

Glad it won't.

Saving this quote for the RT thread.

Listening to this video:
A bunch of center-channel laser and explosion effects are weirdly muted when they definitely shouldn't be. This is a pretty good example of what I'm talking about.
I think I can hear what you mean. I do remember thinking the opening crawl music sounded kinda weird on my first viewing but I wasn't sure why. I gotta educate myself on audio, it's one of my biggest blind spots.

Ross61

Goddamn, this movie is gonna be even more incoherent than Suicide Squad, isn't it?

And LMFAO at the usual suspects here giving the usual "wait for better sources" "biased articled" "Disney/MCU CONSPIRACY!" fanboy whining we see every time.

Sorry kids, this will the third time a DCEU film has had problems with editing. They do NOT get the benefit of the doubt anymore.

Saving this quote for the RT thread.

So you're just going to ignore multiple sources saying that it isn't true. Wow....

MisterHero

Saving this quote too.
Bobby Roberts: There's no sides! No one's out to get anyone! It's a work!
Above: I'm SOOOO gonna get you when you're wrong!

Maybe Bobby's right. There's no sides.
Just isolated repeat users out to snipe each other

I would ignore the post, but this sort of shit happens so often that I just can't, you know?

I don't know about you guys but when I don't like something, I usually stop talking about them. Not go after users that enjoy them.

J_Viper

Seems like it's a problem with WB across the board, not just the DCEU

Live by Night had some fucked up editing, and King Arthur seems to have similar issues.

I can't speak for Fantastic Beasts, as I haven't seen it.

Seems like it's a problem with WB across the board, not just the DCEU

Live by Night had some fucked up editing, and King Arthur seems to have similar issues.

I can't speak for Fantastic Beasts, as I haven't seen it.

Fantastic Beasts was two completely different movies stuck together with office tape and a prayer, so yeah, same problems.

Which is weird because this is the same studio so commended for letting directors do what they want. It makes me wonder: Just what the hell is going on with on the executive side? Problems this big always start from the top down...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom