• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Justice League’ Rumor: Extensive Reshoots Have Completely ‘Remade’ the Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

Snyder is as Snyder does
kunk-rum.gif

Blader

Not really, they'll eat that cost if the end product meets their targets

Well sure, studios will do anything if it pays off in the end, but it seems incredible to me that studios routinely put their $200-300m blockbusters through reshoots that end up accounting for the majority of the film. I mean, shit, that's a lot of reshooting!

I think what the poster is saying that movie reshoots are very common to how films, blockbusters, are made these days. To gleam anything from these is foolish, especially from a dubious source.

That fact that re-shoots are happening is no indication, one way or another, about the quality of the final film. We've seen it go both ways, movies come out good or bad...

The point of this story/rumor/pile of shit isn't "Justice League is undergoing reshoots and is therefore doomed" but the quantity and length of reshoots that JL is undergoing is unusual. Even if the "scoop" was plainly false, the writer of the article couldn't have been clearer about that. Hence the emphasis on things like "it has been REMADE TWICE in reshoots." As opposed to "Justice League is...undergoing reshoots!"

Thor was a fun film. They decided to remove all fun from the sequel. Then go back to a fun film with Thor 3. So yeah, baffling how's Marvel couldn't deduce why Thor was reasonably well regarded.

Not really surprising at all after what happened with Iron Man 2 (and 3, and Age of Ultron).

DeathyBoy

Banned
Not really surprising at all after what happened with Iron Man 2 (and 3, and Age of Ultron).

Then I'd just point out Marvel had proven templates for those three films (and IM 3) and it's baffling they went against what previously worked.

Like Winter Soldier was different to TFA, but it didn't ask Evans to remove everything people liked about Cap.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
Well sure, studios will do anything if it pays off in the end, but it seems incredible to me that studios routinely put their $200-300m blockbusters through reshoots that end up accounting for the majority of the film. I mean, shit, that's a lot of reshooting!

Not too absurd when you consider that this year alone we got Monster Truck and King Arthur.

If they're willing to dump $150+m into those then they'll gladly dump a few more for reshoots

I just don't...

here's the thing with the DCEU fandom, (not all of it, of course, because no one group is a monolith, despite my speaking of them as such in the post that will follow, hah), the thing I don't understand, even though my time in the Star Wars fandom from the wild west days up until now should have prepared me for this sort of craziness:

Like, I know it sucks to be fans of characters, to be fans of properties, to be fans of marketing/merchandising, all the things surrounding a story, and to hope that the story at the center of a thing is good, and to be disappointed when it isn't. I get all that, it makes a ton of sense. Attack of the Clones turns 15 today, right? I get it.

I guess it's the level of personal attachment to the quality of the resultant films that I don't get, really. Or at least not anymore. You don't have anything all that invested, when you get down to it, yunno? You didn't write the film. You didn't direct it. It's not yours in any real way. It's just a movie that you may or may not pay to watch at some point. Granted, the film has some of your favorite characters in it, but those characters are going to be interpreted by people you have zero control over, and your response to what they put out doesn't have to be dictated via an unearned, and incorrect sense of ownership that I just don't... I don't get it.

Nothing really changes for you if WB turns out another shitty Superman movie. And if you like the Superman movie, nothing really changes for you if you poke your head into a conversation and find out a bunch of other people didn't like it, either. The movie is still what it is, and you still like it for what it is, right? We all like shitty movies. All of us have movies we know people think are crap, but that doesn't mean they're worthless, and that worth isn't contingent on whether or not a bunch of people on a forum somewhere are allowing you to give something that weight.

But the level of conspiracy, of "but what about"-ism, the obvious grasping for justification that will eventually (never) come and (in) validate all the time you've spent fighting for a thing nobody actually asked you to fight for, chasing after a victory that doesn't mean anything and won't be recognized by anyone outside the 10-15 people in your immediate circle of influence (if that) in the way you're hoping...

Isn't it just easier to look at it as yet another interpretation from yet another set of creatives who will do what they're going to do and move on to the next thing, so someone else can pick it up and run with it? I know it sucks to have to suffer through a shitty movie with your favorite characters, or to find out the thing you like isn't appreciated in the same way by other people, and they're mocking the thing you like and that's annoying, because it feels like they're mocking you:

But they're not mocking you, yunno? They're going in on a movie they don't like. It only has anything to do with you if you've so identified with that whole thing that you can't divorce criticism of the movie from criticism of yourself.

It's just superhero bullshit. There's a thousand shitty superhero stories across the decades, shitty superhero stories when your mom was alive, shitty superhero stories when her dad was reading comics, and shitty superhero stories in the future, when we won't even have movies because you'll put that weird hairnet from Strange Days on your skull and hit play on the minidisc player that comes with it and you'll just BE Daredevil for five minutes, knocking on a brick wall in the dark or whatever, instead of having to do the more primitive version of it, which is trying to call out media-driven anti-DC conspiracies on the internet as if such a fucking thing has ever existed.

There aren't really any teams here. There's no real rivalry. It's all a fucking work, brother.

Enjoy the carny show. Don't hop the fucking rails and try to join it. You'll just wind up a background extra at best, and that's shitwork nobody in the audience gives a fuck about unless you botch the job so bad you become the subject of mockery in an animated gif somewhere.

IrishNinja

guys

this article could be bunk and justice league could continue the trend of being mediocre-at-best as a film

both could happen

Dalek

I just don't...

here's the thing with the DCEU fandom, (not all of it, of course, because no one group is a monolith, despite my speaking of them as such in the post that will follow, hah), the thing I don't understand, even though my time in the Star Wars fandom from the wild west days up until now should have prepared me for this sort of craziness:

Like, I know it sucks to be fans of characters, to be fans of properties, to be fans of marketing/merchandising, all the things surrounding a story, and to hope that the story at the center of a thing is good, and to be disappointed when it isn't. I get all that, it makes a ton of sense. Attack of the Clones turns 15 today, right? I get it.

I guess it's the level of personal attachment to the quality of the resultant films that I don't get, really. Or at least not anymore. You don't have anything all that invested, when you get down to it, yunno? You didn't write the film. You didn't direct it. It's not yours in any real way. It's just a movie that you may or may not pay to watch at some point. Granted, the film has some of your favorite characters in it, but those characters are going to be interpreted by people you have zero control over, and your response to what they put out doesn't have to be dictated via an unearned, and incorrect sense of ownership that I just don't... I don't get it.

Nothing really changes for you if WB turns out another shitty Superman movie. And if you like the Superman movie, nothing really changes for you if you poke your head into a conversation and find out a bunch of other people didn't like it, either. The movie is still what it is, and you still like it for what it is, right? We all like shitty movies. All of us have movies we know people think are crap, but that doesn't mean they're worthless, and that worth isn't contingent on whether or not a bunch of people on a forum somewhere are allowing you to give something that weight.

But the level of conspiracy, of "but what about"-ism, the obvious grasping for justification that will eventually (never) come and (in) validate all the time you've spent fighting for a thing nobody actually asked you to fight for, chasing after a victory that doesn't mean anything and won't be recognized by anyone outside the 10-15 people in your immediate circle of influence (if that) in the way you're hoping...

Isn't it just easier to look at it as yet another interpretation from yet another set of creatives who will do what they're going to do and move on to the next thing, so someone else can pick it up and run with it? I know it sucks to have to suffer through a shitty movie with your favorite characters, or to find out the thing you like isn't appreciated in the same way by other people, and they're mocking the thing you like and that's annoying, because it feels like they're mocking you:

But they're not mocking you, yunno? They're going in on a movie they don't like. It only has anything to do with you if you've so identified with that whole thing that you can't divorce criticism of the movie from criticism of yourself.

It's just superhero bullshit. There's a thousand shitty superhero stories across the decades, shitty superhero stories when your mom was alive, shitty superhero stories when her dad was reading comics, and shitty superhero stories in the future, when we won't even have movies because you'll put that weird hairnet from Strange Days on your skull and hit play on the minidisc player that comes with it and you'll just BE Daredevil for five minutes, knocking on a brick wall in the dark or whatever, instead of having to do the more primitive version of it, which is trying to call out media-driven anti-DC conspiracies on the internet as if such a fucking thing has ever existed.

There aren't really any teams here. There's no real rivalry. It's all a fucking work, brother.

Enjoy the carny show. Don't hop the fucking rails and try to join it. You'll just wind up a background extra at best, and that's shitwork nobody in the audience gives a fuck about unless you botch the job so bad you become the subject of mockery in an animated gif somewhere.

tenor.gif

shira

Wonder Woman has a day 1 review embargo.

If Justice League does too, whooboy light up the dumpster gasoline, we gonna have a cookout

Snyder was just in China for the WW premier. This doesn't make sense even as a rumor.
Not uncommon for the director not to go to reshoots. Especially for blockbusters. They usually aren't around for most of the shoots in the first place other than dialogue scenes.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I just don't...

It's the problem with 'fandom'. If you define yourself by the media you consume, an 'attack' on that becomes an attack on your person.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I just don't...

Typical Marvel shill.

Everyone should quote the entire post.

Buckle

It's the problem with 'fandom'. If you define yourself by the media you consume, an 'attack' on that becomes an attack on your person.
Its on another level when it comes to superheroes though.

People get attached in a way I don't see in a lot of other places. Like Superman is somebody's dad.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
Its on another level when it comes to superheroes though.

People get attached in a way I don't see in a lot of other places. Like Superman is somebody's dad.

Nah, I'd rather handle superhero fans over anime or Star Wars fans

I just don't...

I don't know. DC fans are like Nintendo fans in living a life of perceived sleights from growing up with them (growing up might be a misnomer). As someone who likes DC and Nintendo, it's always been a little weird to see how linked the brand and identity are for the hardcore fans. At the same time, both sure attract topics about how they used to be better in the past, or they're doomed, or should sell rights to another company for short term profit...usually all countered by folks who'll defend the brand regardless.

What I'm getting at is that the DCEU is the Wii U of shared universes.

I don't know. DC fans are like Nintendo fans in living a life of perceived sleights from growing up with them (growing up might be a misnomer). As someone who likes DC and Nintendo, it's always been a little weird to see how linked the brand and identity are for the hardcore fans. At the same time, both sure attract topics about how they used to be better in the past, or they're doomed, or should sell rights to another company for short term profit...usually all countered by folks who'll defend the brand regardless.

Whew, can't wait for their Switch, if that's the case.

Whew, can't wait for their Switch, if that's the case.

It'll start with The Batman. Then you'll get a re-release of Batman v Superman Ultimate Edition with Splatoon characters inexplicably CG'd into scenes. A while later there's a Superman movie where his S-symbol has eyes. It'll be dope.

Hey, some of us DC fans are perfectly sane.
Maybe.

So, by that logic, Man of Steel is... New Super Luigi U?
BvS is Xenoblade Chronicles X.
Suicide Squad is Devil's Third.

WW better be Bayonetta 2 tier.

It's not.
So far the closest we've gotten to a date is May 31st

But seems like that could be moved up.

And wasn't from like a normal source, but who knows

I see, thanks.

jett

D-Member
Justice League may yet be saved from the same fate. Rogue One was a success story, a blockbuster that underwent major reshoots and was ultimately well-received by critics and the box office.

I guess ending up being complete mediocrity like Rogue One would be an improvement over Batman bin suparman.

Theorry

"Steven Weintraub‏
@colliderfrosty
Replying to @joseph_cobb
every movie has reshoots. But I have not heard anything about extensive reshoots on Justice League. And Gal has been pregnant.

Another one.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I just don't...

I think the main reason DCEU fans are so defensive is because they don't want the movies to change. They like the serious tone, slow-motion fighting, lack of humor, etc. So they try to prop them up as big successes and act like everyone who disagrees is out to get them.

Blader

Attack of the Clones is 15 years old today, good god.

Not too absurd when you consider that this year alone we got Monster Truck and King Arthur.

If they're willing to dump $150+m into those then they'll gladly dump a few more for reshoots

This is why I should be in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom