• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 4, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it was pretty clear that, after losing the prison and her group, she defaulted to her old ways (traveling alone, getting new "pets"). She seemed to be having inner turmoil, which was illustrated visually very obviously by her surrounding herself with zombies. That was going to be her life, her alone with no one but zombies. Her massacring them was her making a decision to NOT do that again. She was choosing people instead zombies. Instead of going it alone she continued to follow and found Rick and Carl. Companionship. It was a pretty big character moment and made perfect sense to me.
you're right, and yes it was pretty clear.

In the end no matter what kind of episode we get 99% fo the time, there will be complaining. Some people want to see shit get fucked up, which is fair I guess, others want a total package where there's lots of character stuff and tense moments as well. And each time we get more of one than the other, the other side will complain about it lol.

Nature of the show I guess.

SamuraiX-

Responses from Gimple and Gurira on Michonne's actions:

Scott Gimple (The Hollywood Reporter) said:
We also learned why Michonne cried when she held baby Judith in the first half of the season: Michonne was a mother and had a son.

This, in some ways, is completing a story from last season. Last season, we saw Michonne, with help from Daryl, Rick and Tyreese, figured out that she was running away. She was going off looking for The Governor even though she knew she wouldn't find him. She was doing it to step away from people and to avoid getting close. The moment she decided to get close, that's when all those people were torn away from her -- not in the least Hershel. In this episode, we start her with that loss of Hershel and the prison and all the closeness she'd achieved. She took that as a message from the universe that, "I was right, you can't get close to people; that's how you get hurt. I lost Andrea and I lost all these people so forget it. I had the right idea. Let me get some new walker pets and walk the earth alone because that's how you stay safe emotionally." She's haunted by her dreams but, more importantly, she finds that her plan leads her to become a dead person. She's walking among the dead and basically dead inside and she can't do it. She knows she can't go back to being a dead person and isolating herself. In this wonderful moment, she rejects death and she chooses life. It's this very cathartic action moment and that's one of my favorite things from the show -- when you see action and emotion explode at the same time and feed each other and have meaning.
Danai Gurira (Entertainment Weekly) said:
EW: What about the scene where you’re walking with your new pets among all these other zombies, you look at another zombie that has a passing resemblance to you, and then you just go nuts and start slicing everything in sight? What’s that about?

GURIRA: Well, what do you think it’s about, Dalton?

EW: I think it’s about her being pissed off and choosing to be aggressive as opposed to passive.

GURIRA: For me, that’s her fighting for her soul. That’s not going to be me and that could’ve been me. If I hadn’t been a fighter from the beginning, I could’ve been this woman, walking out with the dead with blood on her face, wearing the same clothes that she was wearing when the apocalypse hit. That part of her, that is a fighter, that is fierce, that was starting to harden and deaden and die because she was so sick of the pain and the trauma, that woman triggers it. She’s like, why am I walking around with a bunch of zombies. This is not who I am. This is about her fighting for herself, her fighting for her will. There is a part where she’s killed all of them at the end and it’s really emotional for her. She’s cracking, she’s open, she’s having this catharsis. She knows she has to carry on and fight. She doesn’t lay down and die. She’s not that person and she doesn’t want to become that person.
Scott Gimple (Vulture) said:
Michonne’s on her own in this episode, and she goes through this significant transformation over the course of the hour almost entirely without dialogue. How did that come together?

In the first half of this season, she was essentially running away from the prison, running away from being close to people again. She was still gun-shy. Then the moment she decides to be all in is the moment it all falls apart. The message from the universe was: Be with people. Get hurt. So at the beginning of the episode, she’s decided to go back to how things were before she met Andrea, and we get to tell this basically wordless story.

Michonne goes on another walker-killing bender, and I loved how it felt entirely different from the time she went to town on a cage of zombies in Woodbury. This time it wasn’t bloodlust.

That’s all Danai. Without words, she goes from Okay, I’m going to reject people. I’m going to go back to how it was to Oh my god, I’m living like a dead person. No, I’m going to be alive. To see her arrive there in such an explosive and cathartic way is the exact kind of moment I love on the show — the height of action meeting the height of emotion. That’s how it was in “Pretty Much Dead Already” when Sophia came out of the barn. When Michonne is taking down those walkers, it’s the climax really of a character change.

LevelNth

Banned
It's shocking and sad to see how many people needed more than 3 seconds to realize why Michonne would break down and slaughter all those walkers.

Hard to blame television producers for how much they dumb down their content nowadays to simple superficial fluff.

cacildo

Some people want to see shit get fucked up, which is fair I guess, others want a total package where there's lots of character stuff and tense moments as well. .

You know what i really wanted to see?

More focus not only on survival, but on how to deal with the zombie problem

The show rely too much on dumb decisions taken by dumb characters, just so everybody gets into a dangerous situation... I wish the characters were a little smarter, more creative when dealing with the situation, and that to be the focus of the show.

I wish the focus was more "What would you do in that situation" insted of the current "Look at what this stupid character did because reasons and now everybody is in trouble"

Really, if Carl is really the new Lori/Andrea/Carol....

y2dvd

Carol doesn't belong in the same discussion as those characters any longer! I agree with everything else you said though.

You know what i really wanted to see?

More focus not only on survival, but on how to deal with the zombie problem

The show rely too much on dumb decisions taken by dumb characters, just so everybody gets into a dangerous situation... I wish the characters were a little smarter, more creative when dealing with the situation, and that to be the focus of the show.

I wish the focus was more "What would you do in that situation" insted of the current "Look at what this stupid character did because reasons and now everybody is in trouble"

Really, if Carl is really the new Lori/Andrea/Carol....
Outside of the obvious Andrea thing, I don't think these characters are being TOO stupid. Like seriously Carl is a dumbass teenager just all dumbass teenagers. That's a normal thing. He thinks he is invincible and made stupid decisions and he realized it. I think it's easy for us to judge what is stupid sitting from here so I always think it's an unfair criticism.

Also I think focusing on the Zombie problem kind of makes no sense because they've been living in this zombie world for so long now, I honestly wouldn't buy it if zombies were still super menacing. They're well trained by now. That's why they need human enemies and whatnot. But the zombies are a good secondary threat. They'll be there if you let your guard down or make a mistake. I like it that way.

someday

Banned
It's shocking and sad to see how many people needed more than 3 seconds to realize why Michonne would break down and slaughter all those walkers.

Hard to blame television producers for how much they dumb down their content nowadays to simple superficial fluff.
I'm a bit blown away by this as well. I'll admit, I was a little confused when she saw the tracks on the road going in one direction and she purposely went away from them. But it was made crystal clear when after she kills all the walkers she goes right back to those tracks and follows them to Rick and Carl.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Carol doesn't belong in the same discussion as those characters any longer! I agree with everything else you said though.

I'm such a big Carol fan now, it's ridiculous. She's the Andrea we should have gotten. Can hardly wait for her triumphant return.

Alpende

Pretty weak episode in my opinion. Carl can't carry an episode yet. Also, didn't he do that bit with 'just a little but further' before and also fell? Didn't that happen with the mud zombie at the farm? And then he also falls and we get the same 'dramatic' stuff in the house.

The Michonne stuff is cool though. I didn't get why she slaughtered all those zombies but after reading the replies in this thread I do. But that also kind of throws the whole 'walkers are a genuine threat' thing though. She killed a dozen of them with ease.

Pretty weak episode in my opinion. Carl can't carry an episode yet. Also, didn't he do that bit with 'just a little but further' before and also fell? Didn't that happen with the mud zombie at the farm? And then he also falls and we get the same 'dramatic' stuff in the house.

The Michonne stuff is cool though. I didn't get why she slaughtered all those zombies but after reading the replies in this thread I do. But that also kind of throws the whole 'walkers are a genuine threat' thing though. She killed a dozen of them with ease.
well Tyreese also killed a zillion at once right. The zombies are a threat because they are ever present. They're there to fuck your shit up when you let your guard down or are distracted by something else. Otherwise they really shouldn't be a threat. They are trained and adept at killing them by now. Even Cawurllll.

What I don't get is why these people don't just act in the calm, rational way that the all-knowing audience would if they were in their shoes. Like, why does Carl do stupid teenager stuff and blow up at his dad over the deaths of his baby sister, mom, all of his remaining friends, and his new home? It's like, dude, shit's been bad for a long time, get over it bro.

SteveWD40

well Tyreese also killed a zillion at once right. The zombies are a threat because they are ever present. They're there to fuck your shit up when you let your guard down or are distracted by something else. Otherwise they really shouldn't be a threat. They are trained and adept at killing them by now. Even Cawurllll.

Exactly.

That's why they make such compelling monsters, because they should be easy, but you have to sleep, eat, shit, space out, get tired, winded, fall over etc... they don't, and will be there when you do.

Daigoro

Even Cawurllll.

lol thank you. i cant stand the way he pronounces Carl. always sounds like Coral to me. annoys the hell out of me and then i walk around the house going "CORAL?! CORAL!!!".

yay Cawurl

yeah i figured i wasnt alone in this. must be a running joke long done by now.

anyways, i was worried that Coral was going to cut his hand on that pudding can lid, get infected, and turn undead. kid needs to be more careful.

Alpende

lol thank you. i cant stand the way he pronounces Carl. always sounds like Coral to me. annoys the hell out of me and then i walk around the house going "CORAL?! CORAL!!!".

yeah i figured i wasnt alone in this. must be a running joke long done by now.

anyways, i was worried that Coral was going to cut his hand on that pudding can lid, get infected, and turn undead. kid needs to be more careful.

I don't think you can get infected if you cut your hand. Rick's face was smashed in by the Guv'nor and he didn't turn.

Also, Carl's got plot armor. He's not gonna die anytime soon.

First episode back was really Carl's and Michonne's episode. Did anyone else get the vibe that Michonne's husband and his friend killed her baby somehow? I vaguely recall her saying to Andrea they were never human to begin with.

Some of the Carl scenes seemed really redundant. We didn't need to see Carl almost get killed by the walkers knocking on the door. He was already feeling like he'd be better off without his dad so that scene wasn't needed. Showing Carl get in over his head with the pudding zombie and realizing he didn't but that maybe his dad needed him would have been enough to complete Carl's arc.

Michonne's story was well done, but would have liked to have got something more substantive on her backstory. We got a tease and it was just a nightmare so we don't even know what was real and what was symbolism.

I liked the episode. It was a very nice and smooth transition back to reality after Governor's war on prison ended. Despite being seemingly slow, I would bet that this episode had one of the highest zombie kills.

It was good to see Michonne come to terms with her past, and her lover Mike. It was long overdue. Hopefully in the future she is more open and tells us exactly what went down between her, Mike, their child and the other dude. But she realizes that the life with good people is more meaningful than trying to survive on own. What I'm afraid of is that since her arc is pretty much done, she will become another Daryl. Badass and cool zombie murderer, but without much of a story.

Carl throwing a hissy fit was just ehh. I don't like watching tweens throwing tantrums on TV. Zombie Rick was awesome, and so was Zombie Hershell. That was so crazy lol.

Grisby

Playing the new TLOU Left Behind DLC has got me more excited for Sunday. Feels good to be in full on zombie vibe. Although, I hope we get some more shots of how the plague has taken it's toll on the world. More run down buildings, etc. Love that stuff.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I didn't like the opening of the episode, but felt it redeemed itself. Started off with Michonne walking a little too easily and unnoticed amongst the zombies, and the Rick/Carl dynamic has already been beaten to death.

However, I liked the overall low level of dialog and subtlety in the way the character development was conveyed. Makes a change from the handholding we get from a lot of TV shows and movies. We actually learned something about the characters and saw some growth there which is a change.

Also felt like both Rick and Carl could have died at moments, so good to get a sense of vulnerability back compared to a lot of the last season and a half.

Not anywhere near my favorite episode but I'll be glad if the rest of the season stays at this level.

Mononoke

Banned

Well, you would be surprised at how much an audience needs to be told something. Don't want to go into spoilers, but I was blown away by how many people were confused by certain episodes/moments in Breaking Bad. The moments weren't meant to be ambiguous at all, and were clear as day. Yet, many were confused and needed to be told exactly what happened.

I try to not judge people, because I feel like a snob/asshole. But I've always believed that a large amount of people watch film/shows on a very surface/entertainment level. Those that get REALLY into film/tv (especially dramas), are more trained and likely to pick up on themes/actions, especially when they are being conveyed by emotion/actions (rather than dialogue).

Rootbeer

Banned
I really dug it, focusing heavily on Michonne and Carl, two of my favorite characters. I think Carl especially needs these episodes every so often, because he started off as a young kid who constantly needed protecting and barely even had any lines. They have to establish him as becoming more of a contributor, and this episode moved him forward a lot in my eyes.

SamuraiX-

Looks like post-production is finally wrapped up:

SjsVQWD.png

Diablos

Uh so yeah, watched the latest ep.

SOAP OPERA STATUS CONFIRMED. It just keeps getting worse. Also how many times do we have to see Carl almost get killed by zombies only to prove that he's the man now? We get it. Honestly. Between that and the back and forth with Rick we totally get it, writers. We aren't stupid. At least 10-15 minutes were wasted on that alone.

Andrew Lincoln needs to get a fucking clue, btw. I often wonder if he is trying to cleverly do a parody of his character now. He sounds and acts fucking RIDICULOUS.

The Michonne flashback/illusion was a trip, though. Frankly it was the only memorable thing about the episode.

btw the opening was incredibly stupid.

Loved the episode. It would have been better though if Carl had visibly hit puberty in the episode. Voice cracking, taller and slightly more muscle. Would have driven the point home a little better. Obviously that's impossible but still.

Loved the episode. It would have been better though if Carl had visibly hit puberty in the episode. Voice cracking, taller and slightly more muscle. Would have driven the point home a little better. Obviously that's impossible but still.
would have been nice to see a slow motion shot of his testicles dropping in his scrotum but whatever maybe next season.

SOAP OPERA STATUS CONFIRMED. It just keeps getting worse. Also how many times do we have to see Carl almost get killed by zombies only to prove that he's the man now? We get it. Honestly. Between that and the back and forth with Rick we totally get it, writers. We aren't stupid. At least 10-15 minutes were wasted on that alone.

Andrew Lincoln needs to get a fucking clue, btw. I often wonder if he is trying to cleverly do a parody of his character now. He sounds and acts fucking RIDICULOUS.

The Michonne flashback/illusion was a trip, though. Frankly it was the only memorable thing about the episode.

What? This was the first time we saw Carl act it out completely and ditch his dad and that was too much? Also couldn't disagree more about Andrew Lincoln. Dude has the chops and has delivered every fucking scene he was in since the beginning. He is Rick Grimes. Except for Andrea, Carl and other kid actors, the cast for this show has done great work acting wise, especially by the actor who did Merle. I miss that sumbitch.

Alpende

Last episode was pretty ridiculous with Carl almost getting killed in the same type of situation. They have to cut that shit out. It's cheesy and you know he's gonna survive shit like that. Maybe they do situations like that so he can learn from those mistakes?

Looking forward to next episode though. I just hope it gets on the level of episodes like Clear.

Sec0nd

Last episode was pretty ridiculous with Carl almost getting killed in the same type of situation. They have to cut that shit out. It's cheesy and you know he's gonna survive shit like that. Maybe they do situations like that so he can learn from those mistakes?

Looking forward to next episode though. I just hope it gets on the level of episodes like Clear.

Obviously. Like he said to Rick during the episode, he thought eh didn't need him anymore and that he could handle it all himself. After almost getting killed twice he came back to because he figured out he was wrong.

Servbot24

Banned

TWD writers decided to go after the dumb audience a long time ago, hence the dumb reaction.

Okay, then. How's about you get a budget, write out a script and try making a better zombie show. Oh wait.....

The show isn't flawless by any stretch but it's not terrible either. Only thing on Sunday nights worth turning the TV on for IMHO.

I enjoyed the episode a lot . I don't mind character development or zombie action. I tend to catch myself being irritated with little things like Carl sitting there eating the pudding while the walker helplessly just reaches out the window. I don't know why it irritates me but it does. I really feel it takes away how dangerous they would be. Maybe my own thinking is it would just smash through the window like in previous episodes. Other than that I loved michonnes transitional scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom