• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Big boos can be defeated by sliding down stairs”

ffdgh

Okay, this blog is blowing my mind. I never knew about this destructible wall in Whomp's Fortress:

tumblr_ofvejaSFmz1rrftcdo1_500.gif

I imagine there are quite a few warp spot people don't know exist too lol.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but this isn't news. I'm pretty sure the game shows it if you leave the game on the title screen without pushing any buttons for too long.

Kewl0210

Neo Member
This one's crazy to me.

tumblr_oc2cnn5iDI1rrftcdo1_500.gif

In Super Mario 64, during the first mission of Jolly Roger Bay, Unagi the Eel blocks the entrance to the sunken ship. No matter how long you stay near him, he will not leave until you swim away and come back. This is because the game is trying to hide that he has no animation for exiting the ship; instead he simply warps out once Mario is far away. It's possible to see this in action by swimming away and holding C-Up so the camera moves above Mario.

http://www.suppermariobroth.com/post/149085792750/in-super-mario-64-during-the-first-mission-of

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Okay, this blog is blowing my mind. I never knew about this destructible wall in Whomp's Fortress:

tumblr_ofvejaSFmz1rrftcdo1_500.gif
This one I knew about. Probably from Nintendo Power back then.

I imagine there are quite a few warp spot people don't know exist too lol.
How many are there? The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Bob-Omb Battlefield and the first snow world. Are there more? I'm sure there are others I knew about but I'm drawing a blank.

Edit: Oh and Whomp's Fortress near the green block.

Here's a list: https://www.gamefaqs.com/n64/198848-super-mario-64/faqs/3330

Edit 2: Oh and Lethal Lava Land, I knew that one too. (Under the eye) And the ones in Shifting Sand Land, but I rarely used them. And the one in Tiny Huge island that takes you from the floating island to the mainland. There are others. I knew about most of them.

nkarafo

Here's another good one most people don't know.

In Ocarina of Time cut one of the destructible square signposts in pieces with your sword.

Now stand near it and play Zelda's Lullaby with your ocarina.

Profit!

I actually discovered this by accident back in the day

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

In Ocarina of Time cut one of the destructible square signs in pieces with your sword.

Profit!

This was in Nintendo Power too.

So does this mean you can kill literally anything with a slide? Like it was programmed as an "always works" attack but no one ever put in an exceptions list. The one with the saw and the triangle ramp looks to be a side-effect since no one ever thinks to slide down that ramp as it's only supposed to be used for running up walls.
It's a property of the enemy whether it can be killed by a certain move or not.
For example, Thwomps can't be killed by sliding, but they are vulnerable to thrown shells. Big Boos are vulnerable to sliding, but invulnerable to thrown shells. Their behavior was intended, probably. The Grinders, on the other hand, were definitely not meant to appear near slopes, so they didn't bother to make them invulnerable to sliding.

I bet if there was a slide in Bowser's final area, you could kill him too. Maybe. Probably not. He might be programmed to only be defeated by thrown objects. The only way to find out would be for someone to hack the ROM to put a slope in that room. I doubt it'll work though. Bowser's AI probably overrides Mario's attacks. (Same reason you can't jump on him no matter what. Bowser might just be programmed to not let Mario hurt him directly no matter what.)
Most bosses including Bowser are hardcoded into the game, their levels can't be modified as easily. If I had to guess, it's invulnerable to anything that is not a thrown object.

Don't know if it's been mentioned in here yet, but whilst we're on the subject, it was very recently discovered that Blue Fire can destroy bombable walls in Ocarina of Time.

Proof? This one, if true, is the real mindblower for me.

Oh shit it's true

Took me a while to dig it out. It was discovered accidentally when a speedrunner had no explosives and was kinda screwed in the race. Used Blue Fire just messing around and it actually worked. The OoT speedrunning community reacted like most of the people in this thread. Which is kinda crazy considering how far we've come in terms or breaking OoT apart, especially over the last decade.

Here's a video of entering Dodongo's Cavern.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=IwwE8-zb_Dc

Edit: Nevermind! I didn't refresh and see your edit.

Guess this is the rebirth to the SHOCKING facts you dint know thread!

Now the question remains....would any of these tricks work in Mario maker?

Wait, can you even slide the Mario Maker?

Kevtones

In Ocarina of Time cut one of the destructible square signposts in pieces with your sword.

Profit!

I think I read this in Nintendo Power! Lol, I've always known about this thankfully (and it's a pretty cool animation) but have failed in most subsequent Zeldas trying to bring my destroyed signs back because it's no longer part of the equation :(

In the rocket level with the bats in DKC Returns, when the giant bat shows up behind you in the final stretch, DK will swing his arm at the bat dismissively, as though he's saying "Pssh, this guy again."

However, if you die in that section a certain amount of times, DK will facepalm whenever the bat shows up.

It was surprising to me!

Top Bottom