• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1200 People Expected at Sony's PlayStation 2013 Event

Desty

Banned
bgUDbwa.gif

Raist

Banned
So which is it for E3 numbers? 300-400 or 4k-5k?

I want to gauge this event by the number of invited press.

There's no way the major keynotes (ie Sony, MS, Nintendo) at the biggest video games meeting happen in rooms with 300-400 capacity. Then again, it's noit really comparable to Sony's 20th feb. event.

edit: There you go. Places where the major keynotes happened at E3 2012:

MS
Sony
Nintendo

consoles are still one of the hottest products and will grow next gen .

cell phones and tablets killed handhelds and PCs . Console preferences will remain unaffected next gen

Console preferences will remain unaffected by cell phones and tablets? I seriously doubt that.

Why do people think Vita stuff will be there?

Isn't this all about PS4?

Because it would be stupid of Sony to have such an enormously hyped up event and not use at least part of it to try and drum up some excitement for their underperforming handheld.

Loudninja

Because it would be stupid of Sony to have such an enormously hyped up event and not use at least part of it to try and drum up some excitement for their underperforming handheld.
These how the events are they focus on one platform.

Its not all of a sudden going to change.

artist

Banned
1200 attendees must be a headache from a logitical pov.
I don't think I've ever seen Sunhi talk in anything but gif form. This must be a big announcement. Believe.
Sunhi was usurped by DemonNite, multiple times. He's probably taking a break and will come harder.

test_account

XP-39C²
AFAIK, it was MS with pre-recorded cheering. Maybe last year. Sony had people who won a trip from the PS blog competition, so they cheered without any recording.
Wasnt it Nintendo? I think that incident was just a misunderstanding though, since it was cheering in the video for Sing Party itself at the end, and someone thought it was ment to be pre-recorded cheering for the game itself.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So you're saying it'll be 1000 investors and press, and 200 Sony fans to provide cheering when prompted.
No PS blog winners for this, so there's a chance it will be like that CES 2009 or 10 when the audience was dead silent through most of their keynote, with a single mild applause for Uncharted 3 3D trailer. So awkward.

rapid32.5

One thing I don't expect Sony to say if PSN 2 will be a payable service. They will wait for MS if they are smart. But Sony will say a lot about PSN 2 features how much better it will be over PS3's online service, they may impress us even more with PS+

Go_Ly_Dow

1200 divided by PS4= 300

300 British Pound = 465.63 US Dollar

Rounded down to nearest 50.

= $450

There's your launch pricing.

I feel like Sony is betting the farm on this. Given everything we've heard about the OS, connectivity to other devices, and so on, it seems like this is going to be the core of their future hardware offerings. And it seems everything is lining up just right to have a huge success, with the rumored price and launch line up. They are making sure they hit every mark.

I wonder if we'll see any big features added to Vita's OS to coincide with Orbis' launch.

In Kaz we trust.

Oppo

I believe 45k showed up at the recent MacWorld conference.

That's irrelevant. Apple doesn't even attend MacWorld, hasn't for years. It's run by IDG or some other 3rd party.

(I know you were correcting him but, there you go.)

They had better bring the big guns, inviting that many people will create it's own level of expectation.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I feel like Sony is betting the farm on this. Given everything we've heard about the OS, connectivity to other devices, and so on, it seems like this is going to be the core of their future hardware offerings. And it seems everything is lining up just right to have a huge success, with the rumored price and launch line up. They are making sure they hit every mark.

I wonder if we'll see any big features added to Vita's OS to coincide with Orbis' launch.

In Kaz we trust.
?

wsippel

Banned
Sony is trying way too hard it seems. Huge event, fanboyish marketing campaign and all. Will they be able to live up to the expectations they've set? We'll see. Either way, I'm not a fan of dick waving.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Hirai walks out
*Coughs*
*Audience goes silent
*Jumbo screen comes down*
Kaz - "I present...Playstation 4"
*CUE DUBSTEP AND LASER LIGHTS EVERYWHERE!"
"Videos being shown galore!
Dubstep and lasers die down
*Naughty Dog/Ubisoft/Sony Santa Monica/Guerilla Games/Quantic Dream/etc demo games in real time*
*Cue videos about Hirai and the hardware development team talking about how magical it is*
*Cue videos of developers talking about it's power*
*Hirai comes back out*
*EMPs have been recesitating those who went into shock (either from the games or the lasers)*
Hirai - "Available Sept 13th for $349.99"
*MOAR DUBSTEP AND LASERS OUT THE ASS!"
*EMPs are crying because they can't get to everyone quick enough*
Hirai - "One more thing"
*Rockstar CEO walks out
*They shake hands*
Hirai - "It's done, GTAV and RDR2 PS4 exclusive for 1.5 years"
*MOAR DUBSTEP AND LASERS!!!!!111!!*
A day before my birthday. I like that idea

Sony is trying way too hard it seems. Huge event, fanboyish marketing campaign and all. Will they be able to live up to the expectations they've set? We'll see. Either way, I'm not a fan of dick waving.

I'm a fan of dick waving not the figurative sense but the literal one.

Aside from that I cannot help but be caught up in the hype

Oppo

You'd rather they made a nice subtle low-key announcement, maybe in a tidy little piano bar, few close friends, just before midnight on a tuesday?

It's all about mass market hype with these machines.

Oppo

There's a middle ground.

Ok, but I have to admit I am curious to know where you think "dick waving" starts or ends. It's not like they announced that there will be 1200 people there. That's just been noted by the press.

1200 people?
Are they going to give the plants megaphones to 'wooo' and whistle when they start talking about how great no used games/always online are and how awesome wonderbook for ps4 is gona be?

Or are they just going to hire more plants?

test_account

XP-39C²
I dont think there really is anything that is concidering as "trying to hard" when it comes to getting the word out there for a new product. The more people who know about it, the better. It makes me wonder if Sony has taken notes from the Vita and the WiiU (seeing the sales for those systems, i get the impression that many people doesnt know about these systems, so the system could have been pushed harder).

The fanboy marketing is just some Google ads for this event, probably an attempt of trying to gather people's attention. I havnt seen anything outside of those Google ads and they mention nothing about PS4 in specific. I expect the PS4 marketing campaign to focus 100% on the product itself.

1200 people?
Are they going to give the plants megaphones to 'wooo' and whistle when they start talking about how great no used games/always online are and how awesome wonderbook for ps4 is gona be?

Or are they just going to hire more plants?
Everyone of those 1200 people gets a megaphone each, plant or no plant. Sony is going loud and hard ;)

fritolay

Maybe they will announce the PS4 is shipping now and you can order online the same day. That will make the news and hype says Sega.

sant

Yeah, no company has ever done anything like this before. I remember Steve Jobs announcing the iPhone 4. "Our phone is pretty good, although our competition is great also. Choose whichever one suits you more" he said to me and 3 other people in the back room of a strip club in Fort McMurray, Alberta.

Top Bottom