• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP layoffs heard...Matt Leone no longer at 1UP

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Scooter was one of the big reasons I still listen to 1up podcasts...ridiculous. In fact, I was just flipping through old CGW issues (round '98 I think) and saw lots of pretty cool reviews from Scoot. Yep, seasoned industry veteran tossed to the curb, makes me feel scared knowing Giant Bomb answer to a media corporation now, too.

Ryan Scott

Neo Member
Dan Stapleton is a cool guy and a great advocate for PC gaming, but it is kind of a shame that you aren't more involved with the new GameSpy.

Dan Stapleton is a great guy (I had lunch with him today, even!), and in another life, I think I would have been pretty happy working with him full-time. I'm pretty satisfied with my current situation too, though.

Do you still have Patrick on the podcast?

Nah, he works for a gaming market research firm now, so it's a bit of a conflict for him. Though I did like his rare guest appearances!

Balb

I don't care that she's a girl. She can't write and she doesn't know a lot about games. What is her value compared to a Scooter or a Matt Leone? It makes no sense.

In order to retain people who actually contribute?

There's more to the website than the editorial aspect. What do her writing skills have to do with anything if she's mainly supposed to manage the community?

In general asking "why wasn't x fired instead?" is pretty rude.

eznark

Banned
Nah, he works for a gaming market research firm now, so it's a bit of a conflict for him. Though I did like his rare guest appearances!

Hopefully he is the guy where they say "do you like this" he says "yes" and they then cancel the project.

I'll give it another shot now though!

Big-E

The only time I went to 1up after the whole Ugo thing was when someone would link from here a really great indepth article and it was usually done by Matt. Hope him and Scooter find somewhere where they can still contribute as they have been producing quality for a long time and deserve more chances.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Dan Stapleton is a great guy (I had lunch with him today, even!), and in another life, I think I would have been pretty happy working with him full-time. I'm pretty satisfied with my current situation too, though.Nah, he works for a gaming market research firm now, so it's a bit of a conflict for him. Though I did like his rare guest appearances!

Hey Ryan, I saw Shawn Elliott tweet to all you GFW guys recently very, um conspicuously...I'd love a reunion but trying not to get my hopes up in the least, ha.

FartOfWar

Banned
Dan Stapleton is a great guy (I had lunch with him today, even!), and in another life, I think I would have been pretty happy working with him full-time. I'm pretty satisfied with my current situation too, though.

I remember some tepid e-war with him where he posted a Youtube to try and prove my assessment of Crysis AI HP was off base.

GhaleonQ

Best of luck to both of them. Love Scooter, hamburgers. Leone never looked excited for ANYTHING. I bet he stared down HR when he was laid of. "Okay. Sure. Is that it? Thanks."

You must have missed God Of War coverage over the years. If he had been 12 at the time, he'd have written tomes of fan fiction bastardizing the games that bastardized the surviving myths that bastardized the original mythological stories of the era.

big_z

Hey Ryan, I saw Shawn Elliott tweet to all you GFW guys recently very, um conspicuously...I'd love a reunion but trying not to get my hopes up in the least, ha.

Scott Bromley on Twitter: "Ugh. My living room looks like a Brodeo was here last night."

Shawn Elliot on Twitter: "@seanmolloy @Greenspeak @chufmoney @robertashley @rydog Secrets, sons. Secrets."

Robert Ashley responds: "Seems a little less secret."

Jburton

Banned
Scott Bromley on Twitter: "Ugh. My living room looks like a Brodeo was here last night."

Shawn Elliot on Twitter: "@seanmolloy @Greenspeak @chufmoney @robertashley @rydog Secrets, sons. Secrets."

"Dude, I think I just filled the cup!"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
is Retronauts weekly? last ep was Mar 1

Sam and Tina do articles from time to time and those live streams.
Yeah, it was for a while. They were doing game movie month, but only did two episodes out of the four so far as far as I know.

mattp

yeah theyve been weekly pretty consistently. its been 2 weeks since the last one, but bob posted about the next episode on twitter so it should be up soon

There are few things in the game's biz that fill me with as much man-babyish glee as this.

krae_man

Yeah, it was for a while. They were doing game movie month, but only did two episodes out of the four so far as far as I know.

He's done all 4

Mario, Street Fighter, Resident Evil and Mortal Kombat.

Mortal Kombat is the only one that hasn't been posted yet, but it's already been recorded so it should be any minute now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ah, forgot the RE one. I just remember Kat Bailey being on the SF one and wondering why she hasn't started a new podcast yet.

Helllllllll no, though I'm trying a little bit each day to turn that into a "yes, yes it is." I'm currently freelancing for the likes of @GAMER, GameSpy (!), Nvision, and some other pubs here and there. And, as of today, trying to help my friends land new jobs! I'm bummed to hear about the layoffs, though I am -- sadly -- never surprised about such awful news these days. :(

I got Batman for like $10. Keep up the good work at @gamer. I want a sonic coupon next month.

Top Bottom