• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1Up Show 5.4 (God of War 2, D.I.C.E., Sonic Wii, Virtua Fighter 5)

bluemax

Banned
Sonic Wii looks like a good rental to clear out the main levels, but the secondary ones seem sketchy as hell. The minigames I'll probably skip altogether.

GoW2 == all kinds of win and awesome.

The short DICE interviews were entertaining, I was pretty shocked at Perrin Kaplan. She used language not reproducible at GAF!

I need to learn to play fighting games. Should I bite the bullet and get the last VF for PS2 or wait for Tekken whatever on 360?

RumFore

Banned
todayzee said:
We currently have our best minds at work attempting to fix whatever the f**k is wrong with the .wmv version.

1166649580-zcswklqd.b.jpg

Thank you for your support. I will post an update as soon as possible.

xxoo

I have the same cat in the same case.

Krowley

I'm pretty masochistic when it comes to challenging games, so i'm thinking i might like this sonic more than the average reviewer. I might buy it even if the reviews are kind of low.

Sounds like it's really really hard, and that was the main complaint.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Can we please get a PS3 version? I think the PS3 could play .mp4 or whatever as long as it isn't zipped. I would like to download directly to PS3.

seconded.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The God of War 2 Pegasus battle looks even more awesome just WOW

VF5 is WOW too

Sonic looks fun too

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Drewsy said:
Holy hell, did Perrin Kaplan even know you were recording?

I know. Perrin is part of Nintendo's "blue ocean" approach. She's appealing to the drugged out teenager demographic.

"sweet man ****kkkkkkkkk"

one of the best 1up Shows in a long time,

God Of War II.. massive more massive looking ,,.

I don't care if the story isn't as good as the 1st one, the narrative isn't important... it's the gameplay that is.

More bosses alone and bigger majestic environments is a big plus in my book.

the best they said is that you don't have to be watching an FMV to epxerience the epic moments (like some other games).. you actually play those moments.

Sonic & The Secret Rings:

what's up with Greg Ford's constant smile? especially when he's complaining about Sonic Wii.. with a smile attached on his face (I think he was the wrong guy to talk about Sonic Wii since he didn't play much of the DC SA games)

Shane at least was more plausible and down to earth talking about Sonic Wii

Shane hits it in the spot that Nintendo fans never talk about: Sonic Wii is the 1st ground up real Wii game that isn't a mass of mini-games and I'm happy that Sonic Wii is the 1st major real Wii game to break away from the mini-game psychie plaguing the system.

VF5:
nice to see the size of the HRAP3 next to a person. The look allot larger then I imagined them to be. I'm ordering a pair of HRAP3s in March after I patched up a few things.

I do feel sad that you can't save your profile and bring it over to your friend's house.. that's a shame :S. But deep down I didn't want any more delays and I didn't want to wait 6 more months..
I want VF5 now, not later
and seeing Srider and Ktallguy in control of the game makes me want to buy the HRAP3s asap.

I skip the mini-interview with the Gears Of War guy.. we are in February not November, time to move on

R0nn

Great show! One of the best eps!

I'm going to check out some of those DICE interviews. They all seem to be really entertaining to watch, even though they might not contain any relevant info.

And HOLY SHIT! @ GoW II

Sonic Wii will get a 7.0 from Greg. That's my guess from Shane and Greg's discussion about the game.

Y2Kev

KTallguy and Srider were great. I thought they really expressed why it is that people are drawn to VF without really fawning all over it. On the 1up Yours show a few weeks ago, Garnett asked Shane why VF is so great and Shane basically replied with, "Because." And he did that like six times.

So good job you guys. Great...verbalization. :D

Elios83

I was really surprised by the quality of Sonic for Wii. Graphics are really good and seem to push the hardware, gameplay seems also really fun.
This could be a lesson to the developers of the PS3/360 version.
Of course GOW2 looks really stunning and epic. It's definitely the game which pushes the PS2 hardware the most.
Oh and Harrison is really a smart guy with his brit way of doing :D

Nander

Sonic Wii looks great! Even though I usually have very little patience with hard games, I just know I will love this. It looks like a very nice mix between the DC Sonic games (that I liked even though they very flawed) and the Panzer Dragoon games. I can totally see myself memorizing the levels like I did with the levels in PDO :)

Y2Kevbug11 said:
KTallguy and Srider were great. I thought they really expressed why it is that people are drawn to VF without really fawning all over it. On the 1up Yours show a few weeks ago, Garnett asked Shane why VF is so great and Shane basically replied with, "Because." And he did that like six times.

So good job you guys. Great...verbalization. :D

yeah, i really wanted to let people hear what super-hardcore VF players were saying about VF5. i thinl both Srider and KTallguy did an outstanding job of articulating the plusses and minuses of a game that both deserves the high scores it's getting even though parts of it are disappointing. I wish i could've made the segment longer, cause we tlked about quite a bit more stuff too... so visit their website! virtuafighter.com

Thanks again for coming on the show guys. It was a pleasure.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
gutter_trash said:
Shane hits it in the spot that Nintendo fans never talk about: Sonic Wii is the 1st ground up real Wii game that isn't a mass of mini-games and I'm happy that Sonic Wii is the 1st major real Wii game to break away from the mini-game psychie plaguing the system.

No, no it is not, it isn't even the first Sega Wii title built from the ground up for the system.

Y2Kev

binaryburrito said:
yeah, i really wanted to let people hear what super-hardcore VF players were saying about VF5. i thinl both Srider and KTallguy did an outstanding job of articulating the plusses and minuses of a game that both deserves the high scores it's getting even though parts of it are disappointing. I wish i could've made the segment longer, cause we tlked about quite a bit more stuff too... so visit their website! virtuafighter.com

Sweet, I definitely will.

You guys should have resident experts on for every segment. :lol

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Very interesting episode, I just wished we got more DICE stuff because it was excellent, and less VF5.
It just feels like every 1up show in the past weeks have had something about VF5. I understand you guys can be enthusiastic about it, but I feel like this is just too much. It's not like it's this giant blockbuster of a game, fighting games are becoming more and more of a niche and we still get 25% of the show about it, plus all we got to see in the previous ones. Thankfully the guys talking actually knew what they were talking about so it was still worth a watch.
Putting big games in the spotlight, especially when it's exclusive stuff like what you did for Halo 3 I can understand (I still skipped them because I don't care personally), but all this VF5 stuff I just don't get at all.
I guess it's because I don't really care about fighting games, but did you guys ever put so much emphasis on a single game before?

KTallguy

Banned
gutter_trash said:
KTallguy, what is your final impression of the HRAP3?

If you've used previous RAP sticks, it's basically the same, but I'm pretty sure the stick is Sanwa, so it's a little looser, and better. I want to use High Grade really badly though... I think they're the same sticks that were at TGS. Those sticks were excellent, I think they were a step up from the HRAP.

binaryburrito said:

Thank you for having us! And you guys did a great job editing us to make us look smart :)

The fundamental game is really quite enjoyable, but after studying in Japan for a year and experiencing the scene there, I really understand what market AM2 is catering to. However if Sega wants to succeed in the US, they have to understand that we have very different and specific needs.

Maybe it's a pipe dream to have VF.TV on PS3/Xbox 360 with youtube like functionality, or to have an online account that you can load up on any PS3/360 with your customized items... but those kinds of features will really help people connect in the US. Online play would also be good, but I understand why they didn't do it.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
VF5 segment was the best part of the show, thank you 1up for taking the time to cover a game that most sites would just ignore because it won't give them as much hits, and trying to show people that there is a community out there that still enjoy the hell out of fighting games.

I guess the VF5 tournament you guys will be holding is still on? I hope you can just put up a whole long video of the games you play for the hell of it on gamevideos.com :D

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Y2Kevbug11 said:

For all the talk Shane does, I wouldn't really consider him a true VF player. That's not even counting the fact that Shane, Milky, and the gaming press in general at the VF5 media tournament were owned by a guy who had played VF4 for only two days prior to the tournament.

jwj442

gutter_trash said:
Red Steel says hi.

No, it's not very good, but it had a fairly large budget and is definitely a "real" game. It's also riskier than Sonic, since Sonic games on Nintendo systems always do well.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Blimblim said:
Very interesting episode, I just wished we got more DICE stuff because it was excellent, and less VF5.

Oh please, they display after the Dice segment you can grab extended video of it on their gamevideos site.

Top Bottom