• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1Up Show 5.4 (God of War 2, D.I.C.E., Sonic Wii, Virtua Fighter 5)

Cdammen

screencap_perrinpissed.jpg

Perrin Kaplan said:
I'm tired because my neighbors were up partying... and smoking pot to three this morning. There were two guys, they were doing it too. F*ckers!
:lol

Not bad, I liked the last shot of the VF segment, it pretty much encompasses what makes fighting games so fun.
BTW where's 1up yours?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
SnowWolf said:
For all the talk Shane does, I wouldn't really consider him a true VF player. That's not even counting the fact that Shane, Milky, and the gaming press in general at the VF5 media tournament were owned by a guy who had played VF4 for only two days prior to the tournament.

Which is why these two were so great! You get to really hear why VF is good, and not from fakers!

Aeon712

:lol at the Gears of War lead game designer doing his interview with a nintendo lanyard. Yes I found that funny, back to watching.

jwj442 said:
Red Steel says hi.

No, it's not very good, but it had a fairly large budget and is definitely a "real" game. It's also riskier than Sonic, since Sonic games on Nintendo systems always do well.

Red Steel is not next-gen, it's an avaerage last-gen looking game with Wii functionality... so not a real full fledged big Wii game that Shane would be calling Sonic Wii as.

If there is one good looking Ubi game, it's Raving Rabbids.. but sadly it's a collection of mini-games.

And don't talk about risk vs reward and saying Sonic games do well, that is Sales-Age talk.
And I hate Sales-Age talk

Shard said:
No, no it is not, it isn't even the first Sega Wii title built from the ground up for the system.

Super Monkey Ball BB is short burt mini-games. THe single player mode is single player yes, but the stages/missions/level whatever you want to call them are short short burst mini-stages = mini games.

so not really the full fledge game that has a stage that last more then 5 minutes.

I agree with Shane: Sonic Wii is the 1st full ground up non-mini game Wii game

McHuj

If there will be a system seller for me for PS3, it just might be God of War 3.

If they can pull of stuff like God of War 2 with the PS2, I can't imagine what they'll do with the PS3. But I wouldn't expect it before 2009.

Chris_C

Aeon712 said:
:lol at the Gears of War lead game designer doing his interview with a nintendo lanyard. Yes I found that funny, back to watching.

Cliffy's a big Nintendo fan, and he doesn't work for MS either.

LJ11

Blimblim said:
Very interesting episode, I just wished we got more DICE stuff because it was excellent, and less VF5.
It just feels like every 1up show in the past weeks have had something about VF5. I understand you guys can be enthusiastic about it, but I feel like this is just too much. It's not like it's this giant blockbuster of a game, fighting games are becoming more and more of a niche and we still get 25% of the show about it, plus all we got to see in the previous ones. Thankfully the guys talking actually knew what they were talking about so it was still worth a watch.
Putting big games in the spotlight, especially when it's exclusive stuff like what you did for Halo 3 I can understand (I still skipped them because I don't care personally), but all this VF5 stuff I just don't get at all.
I guess it's because I don't really care about fighting games, but did you guys ever put so much emphasis on a single game before?

I enjoyed the hell out of it. I wouldn't consider myself a huge fan of the genre, but I do enjoy playing fighters. VF is tops in the genre, we see a release every 4 years or so, so it's worth a spotlight IMO. VF and SF are the blockbusters of the fighting genre.

Most Westerners don't understand what makes VF so great. Growing up as a kid, arcades were all about Tekken, Street Fighter, and Capcom's VS. series. We had VF machines but it didn't get the attention the others received.

Getting insight from experienced players is a rarity for most, unless you visit the requisite forums. Exposing this world to users that may be on the fringe and aren't really as hardcore isn't a bad thing IMO. At best it peaks their interest further, at worst they stop watching the show.

I don't think it's anymore "niche" than demonstrating a FF steering wheel. :D

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
unfortunately, while skipping through the show to find the perrin kaplan part i stumbled across a bunch of nerds talking about GoW2 and immediately lost faith in sections of humanity

big_z

SnowWolf said:
For all the talk Shane does, I wouldn't really consider him a true VF player. That's not even counting the fact that Shane, Milky, and the gaming press in general at the VF5 media tournament were owned by a guy who had played VF4 for only two days prior to the tournament.

lol is there a video of the ownage?

Any word on when the 1up Yours show will be up?

This waiting is actually causing me to, you know, do some actual work. Thats not right.

LJ11

MrSardonic said:
unfortunately, while skipping through the show to find the perrin kaplan part i stumbled across a bunch of nerds talking about GoW2 and immediately lost faith in sections of humanity

funny, i say the same thing every time i see one of your "charts."

LukeSmith

MrSardonic said:

Then, you brought your cool self to the Internet to talk shit about it.

WILL THE WONDERS EVER CEASE

Dante

MrSardonic said:

Yet you couldn't wait to see the Perrin Kaplan interview??? Huh?

MrSardonic said:

YOU ARE ABOVE THE NERDS.

but you're not, mr. videogame message board poster.

MrSardonic

LJ11 said:
funny, i say the same thing every time i see one of your "charts."

Why's that? Was it some cretinous and defensive attempt to belittle me? "Oh yeah, well only nerds devote 5 minutes a week to posting Excel charts".

LukeSmith said:
Then, you brought your cool self to the Internet to talk shit about it.

Because only nerds use the internets right!

Dante said:
Yet you couldn't wait to see the Perrin Kaplan interview?

Thought I'd actually see what the fuss was about and I like to avoid the crap that normally gets packed into 1UP shows. Problem with that?

krypt0nian said:
YOU ARE ABOVE THE NERDS.

FUCKING RIGHT

bud

LJ11 said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Bubububububu....it's only 5 minutes.

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

Get a life bro.

I strongly advice Mr. Sardonic to not response to this ''rumor/speculation''

traveler

Not Wario
MrSardonic said:
The charts are autogenerated. Doesn't mean I let some nerd rip them off.

I'm not the one who spends hours of his day playing videogames.

In retrospect, I must say I agree with Bud.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
gutter_trash said:
Red Steel is not next-gen, it's an avaerage last-gen looking game with Wii functionality... so not a real full fledged big Wii game that Shane would be calling Sonic Wii as.

If there is one good looking Ubi game, it's Raving Rabbids.. but sadly it's a collection of mini-games.

And don't talk about risk vs reward and saying Sonic games do well, that is Sales-Age talk.
And I hate Sales-Age talk

Super Monkey Ball BB is short burt mini-games. THe single player mode is single player yes, but the stages/missions/level whatever you want to call them are short short burst mini-stages = mini games.

so not really the full fledge game that has a stage that last more then 5 minutes.

I agree with Shane: Sonic Wii is the 1st full ground up non-mini game Wii game

Uh no, you are still wrong, so very, very wrong. Moreover, you are still missing some games. For example, Sega has released three games for the Wii, and putting aside you very wrong notions about Banana Blitz's single player mode, you missed Sega's second game, that being Bleach Wii, which came before Sonic albeit only in Japan.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
So was the Perrin interview all useless like all of her other interviews? That's why only 5 seconds of it made it in? Sonic still look bleh to me. GoWII was the best part of the show, another great show guys. :)

LJ11

MrSardonic said:

No, you just spend countless hours on a videogame forum. :lol

I'm done derailing this thread.

Shard said:
Uh no, you are still wrong, so very, very wrong. Moreover, you are still missing some games. For example, Sega has released three games for the Wii, and putting aside you very wrong notions about Banana Blitz's single player mode, you missed Sega's second game, that being Bleach Wii, which came before Sonic albeit only in Japan.

u said the magic word, Japan
if it doesnt come to NA and the Wii is region locked, I dont care about Japan only games

MrSardonic said:

Maybe not, but you spend hours of your day posting on a message board dedicated to them. That's far worse, I'd say.

PostsTotal Posts: 4,945 (11.58 posts per day)
Find all posts by MrSardonic
Find all threads started by MrSardonic

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
gutter_trash said:
u said the magic word, Japan
if it doesnt come to NA and the Wii is region locked, I dont care about Japan only games

First off, it is you and not u and secondly it doesn't matter what you care or don't care about doesn't change the fact that certain Wii-specific games came out before Sonic Wii.

MrSardonic

Vyse The Legend said:
Maybe not, but you spend hours of your day posting on a message board dedicated to them. That's far worse, I'd say.

It hardly takes "hours" to make a few sentence-long posts a day while you're working. The nerds are out in full force to try and make out that only nerds visit GAF :lol

Top Bottom