• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 Minutes of Hitman Absolution Gameplay [Update: Details]

n0n44m

I'm not gonna bitch on the gameplay before I've seen a decent video on higher difficulty blablabla

HOWEVER

no Jesper Kyd is :(((((((((((((

TTG

Ahoi-Brause said:
It means that you're running through a level from checkpoint to checkpoint, that's why guards don't patrol through larger areas anymore.
There's probably a stealth way and a shooting way but in the end you'll always reach checkpoint B.

This is what really sucks about the new info. Each level was a multilayered, awesome, sandbox puzzle. Now that's gone, the old leadership is gone... does "smaller sandboxes" mean shit like that library scene? I would quote the Splinter Cell shop again, but it's already on this page too.

WanderingWind said:
Oh, did GAF make that? No?

IRRELEVANT!
Ok, let's pitch this to gameloft!

At least that way we'll get our original hitman experience.
My proof of concept:
20j68lf.png

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Thread redeemed.

Killman, an agent of the international assassins collective known as 'Threadbare,' is tasked with the hardest assignments of all. He's not a man on a mission...he's a man on assignment. Cold, calculating and invisible to everybody, including those who hire him, Killman is the best assassin to never be known.

WanderingWind said:
Thread redeemed.

Killman, an agent of the international assassins collective known as 'Threadbare,' is tasked with the hardest assignments of all. He's not a man on a mission...he's a man on assignment. Cold, calculating and invisible to everybody, including those who hire him, Killman is the best assassin to never be known.
Just reading that makes me want to play it already!

commedieu

Banned
Ahoi-Brause said:
I'm character and game designer! I'm also an ms paint expert!
I think professional is a good title, because the new hitman is no professional anymore. More like a deranged psychopath.
So it would be a jab at the hitman series for slacking off and dropping the ball.

Yeah but WW2 is overdone.
Contemporary scenario or bust when it comes to stealth. (Ok well and ninjas are cool too like shinobido)

I do modeling/texturing/lighting as well as compositing.

commedieu said:
I do modeling/texturing/lighting as well as compositing.
Ok! Perfect!

I also think killman should be able to wear women's clothing, because he's that much of a pro he can blend in anywhere wearing every outfit.

commedieu

Banned
Ahoi-Brause said:
Ok! Perfect!

I also think killman should be able to wear women's clothing, because he's that much of a pro he can blend in anywhere wearing every outfit.

I'm going to agree agout the womens clothing, but I would say that if he gets TOO close to people, they would see right through the disguise.

I remember this was a problem with Hitman, from far away you could maybe pull it off..

commedieu said:
I'm going to agree agout the womens clothing, but I would say that if he gets TOO close to people, they would see right through the disguise.

I remember this was a problem with Hitman, from far away you could maybe pull it off..
I think killman should take it to the extreme and even have npcs congratulate him on his nice hairdo and beautiful makeup when he's wearing a skirt.
He should still have the same face and maybe just a ribbon in his hair when dressed in women's clothing.
That would totally increase the immersion I think.
The game should also feature Dead Rising style poorly fitting clothing like too short trousers and t-shirts.
All of this delivered completely deadpan serious of course.

Jintor

Wait, what the fuck are we talking about? This is pretty much the same footage I saw a few days ago and I didn't think it was terrible then.

Goddamnit gaf.

Jintor said:
Wait, what the fuck are we talking about? This is the same footage I saw a few days ago and I didn't think it was terrible then.

Goddamnit gaf.
At least you can see clearly now, the rain is gone.

Aiight reading those details......fuck this game. I'm abandoning ship.

Only got hope for Deus Ex and Thief (Eidos Montreal are Gods right now, I have faith in them after the impressions for DX3).

Also some cautious optimism for Tomb Raider (since CD is still making it)

See You Next Wednesday said:
Which is why it's going to be great. The first 4 games sucked. Decent for their time, but horribly outdated.

True, It needed some Uncharted cinematic immersionzz. To keep us on our toes at all times just like an action blockbuster.

Barakov

All that info from the Edge article sounds really disheartening. I'm not going to completely write it off but this sounds really bad.

EDIT: What the hell at Jesper Kyd and 47's original VA not returning.

1-D_FTW

Ahoi-Brause said:
The photoshop cover is fucking brilliant. The more I look at it the better it gets.
loling @ the kinect sticker and "brain not required"

I have to admit, I didn't catch that the little kid smoking the cigarette earlier. It's probably the funniest bit.

1-D_FTW said:
I have to admit, I didn't catch that the little kid smoking the cigarette earlier. It's probably the funniest bit.
I like that the kids have ign journalist badges, because that's how I picture most of them when I read their reviews.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Jintor said:
Wait, what the fuck are we talking about? This is pretty much the same footage I saw a few days ago and I didn't think it was terrible then.

Goddamnit gaf.

GAF strikes again!

But really, there's no need to worry... Yet. If the action set pieces can't be evaded through stealth, then you can be angry.

I wonder how are the official Hitman forums now.

RevDM

Banned
keltickennedy said:
Another preview here http://moviestinger.com/hitman-absolution-is-e3-2011s-biggest-surprise/

"Like in previous Hitman games, Agent 47 can adopt a strategy of calculated stealth or can go Rambo at any time he pleases. Our demo employed the former to showcase an entertaining array of new and staple features of the series."
Designed to reflect Agent 47′s training, Instinct lets you “see the world through the eyes of Agent 47″ by highlighting key objects or areas of interest (think Splinter Cell: Conviction meets The Bourne Identity)

Either they trolling or I'm officially pissed off.

For as much as I loved this gen from 2006-2008, these last couple of years are doing their DAMNEDEST to make me hate it. All the dumbing down, making accessible, quick time events, and "cinematic" gameplay stuff are harming a lot of franchises.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Eh, not enough stealth, but they always try to advertise the Hitman games as action pack third person shooters. I rarely preorder games, so I'll just see how it turns out.

broham

Hopefully after this new hitman blows up in their face, IO will finally make a sequel to their only other good game this gen;
mini ninjas

daffy

Banned
slopeslider said:
What words are OK to use?
Words that don't make you look complete stupid when you use them

stupid for instance.

Retarded is just as unfunny as "absolutely gay" or something. Personally I would've used Absolutely Awful or Absolutely Ass

rdrr gnr

I may have to recheck my priorities in life. I am more disappointed by the fact Kyd isn't doing the soundtrack, than I am about any game design choices.

overcast said:
Well no I am getting skeptical cause of you guys. Stop!

Same here, I want to hope for the best but the ubiquitous hate and game cover photoshops aren't helping :(

But still, the lack of David Bateson and Jesper Kyd just utterly sucks no matter how good the game ends up being.

New voice actors, new composers, mostly new dev team, these guys have big shoes to fill, that's all I know.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I tried to play Blood Money but "saved games are deleted after I quit the game, so I had to start the mission again" mechanic prevented me from completing it.

this one looks like a decent cinematic stealth game, but not sure if want since there are a lot of games like that. I hope they put a good story there at least.

Found some footage - looks ridiculous and not Hitman-y at all. I mean seriously, what the fuck were they thinking? Look at all those guys shooting at him. Might as well call it Modern Hitman amirite? Keep watching and see all those explosions and shit, too! He's not even trying to be stealthy! Someone make a Michael Bay movie photoshop with 47 on it lolol

Seriously though, I get where some of you guys are coming from - I'm a huge Hitman fan as well...but it's a grand total of 10 seconds of gameplay.
The Edge details are disappointing, I'll admit. Very disappointing, in fact, and I'm hoping IO takes notice and addresses at least some of our concerns (no Jesper Kyd wtf?!).
Still, I understand their desire to make the game more accessible. I've had a bunch of friends interested in the series throughout the years, but then turned off upon seeing how 'complex' the game seems to be. It's a shame, really.

Dilly

Banned
No Jesper Kyd and Bateson? What the fuck is this crap? This generation really screw up all the good IP's from last gen.

And the new composer name is Peter Peter, really?

Revolutionary said:
Found some footage - looks ridiculous and not Hitman-y at all. I mean seriously, what the fuck were they thinking? Look at all those guys shooting at him. Might as well call it Modern Hitman amirite? Keep watching and see all those explosions and shit, too! He's not even trying to be stealthy! Someone make a Michael Bay movie photoshop with 47 on it lolol

Seriously though, I get where some of you guys are coming from - I'm a huge Hitman fan as well...but it's a grand total of 10 seconds of gameplay.
The Edge details are disappointing, I'll admit. Very disappointing, in fact, and I'm hoping IO takes notice and addresses at least some of our concerns (no Jesper Kyd wtf?!).
Still, I understand their desire to make the game more accessible. I've had a bunch of friends interested in the series throughout the years, but then turned off upon seeing how 'complex' the game seems to be. It's a shame, really.

Complex? Really? You could run around gunning down everyone in previous Hitman titles....why do people keep insisting that it wasn't for casuals or it was too 'complex'.

It was as complex or hardcore as you wanted it to be, unlike this, which seemingly opts to make it shallow and lacking in options for everyone.

Speedymanic said:
It was as complex or hardcore as you wanted it to be, unlike this, which seemingly opts to make it shallow and lacking in options for everyone.
This. Hitman was always accessible and easy to get into only total morons must've had problems.

IO are just doing some dumb pr-bullshit reverse psychology thing where they want to flatter old fans who are concerned by telling them how HARDCORE and AMAZINGLY DIFFICULT the old hitman games were, so that only very HARDCORE gamers like them were able to beat them and the easier manipulated hitman fans really start believing that shit and stop questioning IO's incredibly strange design decisions.

web01

Oh man they have no fucking clue what made blood money such a great game.
I think all hope is lost for this game :/

MMaRsu

Banned
overcast said:
For god's sake chill out guys. They showed absolutely nothing. We can wait a bit to see what it looks like officially.

Haha, did you even read the OP?

The footage is the least of my problems with this game I think.

Revolutionary said:

There's something wrong here.

Why is "making it more accessible" a crutch that developers seem to use now for watering down new entries in series that were once formidable and thought-provoking?

If your friends (for example, could be said about a larger general group of gamers) couldn't get into Hitman before, that doesn't mean IOI has to go sacrificing what made the series good in the first place for the rest of us.

Should book stores and libraries start issuing new versions of famous books and poems just to make them "easier to read" by modern kids who have been raised in the age of internet smiley logos and 140 text-character limits on their phones?

Fuck 'em.

Gaming is going to hell. When not even a little series like Hitman, that didn't do anything to hurt anybody, has to get a revision to appeal to this bro-chud gaming generation, I just have to shake my head.

UrbanRats

Revolutionary said:

I was on your side of the argument a few days ago, defending the game against the (overblown) meltdown, because the same happened with Human Revolution, which turned out greater than expected.
But now that more and more details are coming out, it's getting pretty clear what they're going for:
http://media.gamereactor.dk/HitmanAbsolution_11470.mp4 (posted by a Gaffer in the other thread).
In this interview too, they stress how basically they are ditching the complex nature of organizing a killing, and going for something far more flat and easy.
I understand that from a business prospective, because they made a new engine and they have to sell the game if they want to keep working.. but i don't give a shit about their revenues, sorry, otherwise i'd be making donations with paypal.
I think it might still be and enjoyable and fun game to play, just like Convinction was (to me) and just like Downpour might be a nice horror game but, all of them, are not worthy successors, in their series' legacy.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope stealth is involved and emphasized as much as action and that gameplay vid's intention was to just show off some shooting. I really do hope so. IO should just stop existing.

Speedymanic said:
Complex? Really? You could run around gunning down everyone in previous Hitman titles....why do people keep insisting that it wasn't for casuals or it was too 'complex'.

I put the word complex in quotations to show that I'm not the one that thinks so, but that apparently didn't work lol.
I don't think the game NEEDS more accessibility (we're all gamers here, right? we have no problems with these games), but again, I see why IO would.

UrbanRats said:
I was on your side of the argument a few days ago, defending the game against the (overblown) meltdown, because the same happened with Human Revolution, which turned out greater than expected.
But now that more and more details are coming out, it's getting pretty clear what they're going for:
http://media.gamereactor.dk/HitmanAbsolution_11470.mp4 (posted by a Gaffer in the other thread).
In this interview too, they stress how basically they are ditching the complex nature of organizing a killing, and going for something far more flat and easy.
I understand that from a business prospective, because they made a new engine and they have to sell the game if they want to keep working.. but i don't give a shit about their revenues, sorry, otherwise i'd be making donations with paypal.
I think it might still be and enjoyable and fun game to play, just like Convinction was (to me) and just like Downpour might be a nice horror game but, all of them, are not worthy successors, in their series' legacy.
I didn't see that interview, and yeah, it does sound like they're making strides to make the game less like Hitman and more like something easier. That's really unfortunate. It's interesting how you made the Human Revolution comparison, though. I'm holding onto hope that IO is playing their cards close to their chest and keeping the "Give me Hitman" difficulty setting under wraps.

Keyser Soze said:
[*] Long-time series composer Jesper Kyd will not be returning. The duo Peter Peter and Peter Kyed will be doing it.

Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Jesper Kyd's soundtracks were so awesome and worth listening to outside the game. WTF is this! Did they not give him enough of a moneyhat or did he not want to keep doing Hitman soundtracks? He's been in a LOT of IO games, maybe he is working on another game? Anyone know the details behind this?

Top Bottom