• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimatum

Banned
Is Global Agenda worth £5? It looked really fun when there was hype about it in beta, but then it kinda just disappeared...

Definately buying Rush. Is M&B worth it? It looks kinda cool I guess, but I dunno...

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Jinfash said:
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, guys I need help with my first Steam purchase.

I added a few games to my cart and wanted to gift them to a friend. I chose to pay with paypal which I'm certain is active with enough funds. As I was trying to complete the last step of the checkout Steam notified me that there was a failure in the authentication session. I tried purchasing with my credit card directly, but it was declined.

As a last resort, I tested adding funds to my $0.00 Steam wallet ($5) and it went through and got added. I tried again, this time adding $25, and the everything went smoothly with my balance now at $30.

I go back to the cart, change my paying method to Steam's Wallet, and I get the same friggin' message! how's that possible? Steam already has the funds!

Please help.
This thread is moving way too fast! someone please, spare a couple of minutes to help this filthy poor!

graywolf323

Salaadin said:
If thats not photoshopped, Im going to kill someone

EDIT: Just checked, its fake.

that's just cruel :-(

edit: them photoshopping it I mean, I'm okay with you killing the person that did it :lol

wayward archer said:
Ummm. don't buy Mount and Blade Complete... just go buy Mount and Blade Warband for 7.49 by itself... it has the same single player campaign mode just with more stuff added in.

And I highly recommend it because the multiplayer is incredible. I still play it regularly.
Is all the content from the original really in Warband? I presumed it was just an expansion pack. (The complete version is currently in my cart but not bought yet).

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
kharma45 said:
PEOPLE I URGE YOU TO BUY CRYSIS AND DIRT 2

I would recommend people find the physical release of the original Crysis, as it lacked (to my knowledge) the Securom limits they've added to the Steam version. Warhead was only ever released with the Securom included.

fresquito

Dunlop said:
for the whole $10 you spend...it is worth the "risk"
For me it's more of a principles thing. I don't want to give my money for a long rent. I mean, I want to buy a product and I'm not buying this retarded DRM. They could just change the DRM and allow revoking keys.

Erebus

Diablohead said:
I changed my mind on crysis, am I right in saying it's only the 32bit version on steam? and only 5 activations means 5 installs or 5 pc's overall?

I am willing to just buy the first game to try it out for £2 though, dunno.
Is there also a 64bit version of Crysis? I'm confused.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I already have vanilla King's Bounty, but buying the Platinum is getting the expansions for $4.50 a piece.

Missing the Halloween sale worked out nicely.

Yes, please.

JudgeN

Odd, I got KB: Crossworld for $5 when they put the platinum edition on sale late Novemeber for $8.74. Now they want $10ish a game, shame on steam :lol

Hope to see Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga on sale but its looking less and less likely.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Day 8 Steam Deals
DOOM: Complete Pack | $8.74: 75% off
IL2 Sturmvok: Complete Pack | $4.99: 50% off
Crysis: Maximum Edition | $9.99: 75% off
Colin McRAE DIRT2 | $4.99: 75% off
SIM CITY 4 | $4.99: 75% off
Section 8 | $4.99: 75% off
Lost Horizon | $9.99: 50% off
King's Bounty: Platinum Edition | $7.49: 75% off
Global Agenda | $7.49: 75% off
ARMA II: Arrowhead | $19.99: 50% off
Mount & Blade: Complete Pack | $9.99: 75% off
Rush | $1.69: 66% off
Proto Galaxy | $2.49: 75% off

My Purchases So Far (With HB1 And HB2)
Aquaria
Battlefield 2 Complete Collection
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Beat Hazard
BIT.TRIP.BEAT
Braid
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Chime
Crysis: Maximum Edition
Deus Ex: Game Of The Year Edition
Deus Ex: Invisible War
DOOM: Complete Pack
F.E.A.R. Complete Collection
Gish
IL2 Sturmvok: Complete Pack
Lugaru HD
Machinarium
Mass Effect 2
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
Mirror's Edge
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platnium
Osmos
Penumbra: Overture
Rhythm Zone
Rush
Serious Sam HD: Gold Edition
SIM CITY 4
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Super Meat Boy
Torchlight
Turba
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Uplink (Thanks, Jibril. ^_^)
World of Goo

Dunlop said:

is there a way to save a gift (i.e I do not have a user name to give it to)?

My buddy is a huge fan of Heroes of Might and Magic, not really my thing but I assume he would love these games.

Problem is he is out of town for a week and does not have a steam account
Yeah buy the game as a gift and just send it to his email address.

Petrie

Banned
gregor7777 said:
King's Bounty is a turn-based SRPG. You build an army of various monsters and warriors and magic creatures and set them to battle on a grid.

Meanwhile, you have missions where you explore a mostly open (and very colorful) world.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO THE FOLLOWING:

Fans of SRPGs
Turn Based fans
Grid battle fans
Fans of awesome games

Tons of side quests, humor and in general just a great game.

So if Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre are two of my favorite games ever created?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Relix said:
Another day of no sales for me. Boooo
Indeed, i want amnesia and GTA4 / episodes to go on sale.>_> (and maybe divine divinity 2 and DOW2 as well).:lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
fresquito said:
I'll repeat again:

Beware with Crysis DRM. It's got only 5 activations. You can't redeem them, it's just only five and when done, Crysis is gone forever.
Isn't it a 5 machine activation, not just 5 activations?

Parham

Banned
Jinfash said:
This thread is moving way too fast! someone please, spare a couple of minutes to help this filthy poor!
I had the same issue yesterday. There isn't much you can do other than send in a support ticket to Valve. The only temporary fix is to gift the game to an email and then resend it to your friend.

Salaadin

DarkUSS said:
Is there also a 64bit version of Crysis? I'm confused.
Steam version of original Crysis is 32 bit only for some reason. Warhead on Steam has both Bin32 and Bin64.
An EA rep went on the Steam forums back in July and said they were looking into getting this fixed, hasnt said anything since...at least not that I could find.

kharma45

DMPrince said:
hhmm. was considering. don't want to take the chance of it not running. but it's $5.

I've Sim City 4 working fine on Windows 7 x64 with a quad core CPU if you need another person to pipe up with it working. And sure it's what, $5, worth the risk!

Polk

fresquito said:
For me it's more of a principles thing. I don't want to give my money for a long rent. I mean, I want to buy a product and I'm not buying this retarded DRM. They could just change the DRM and allow revoking keys.
There is revoking tool. Or is it just for Warhead?

Oh and BTW, King's Bounty isn't some obscure Eastern European strategy war game or anything (despite its developers).

It's a very colorful and sort of wacky SRPG with lots of interesting types of uints for battle (snakes, wizards, dragons, medieval warriors, pirates, wolves, griffons, etc) and lots of variation.

TheFatOne said:
DO NOT BUY ARMA 2 FROM STEAM!!! Arma 2 Combine Ops is only $13 on Amazon

That does not have the ARMA II: OA expansions. It is probably easier to buy those off of Steam.

Edit: Actually it looks like there are only 2 places you can buy them and one is Steam and the other is called Sproket. Steam has the expansions reduced in price.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So while I was quickly checking out Mirror's Edge I found this gem.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-29-ea-mirrors-edge-fell-short

What a fucking idiot.
Dunlop said:
It's not about the risk, it's the principle of the matter. If you say "that's impractical, you're only losing out yourself" well that is often the nature of such matters, but living according to principles is what separates us from beasts.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright, looks like King's Bounty for me and Crysis gifted to my brother. I already own M&B from the Thanksgiving sale, but I have yet to install or try it, despite it looking really fun.

Petrie

Banned
Posting for the new page, can anyone on GAF who has played it give some insight about Global Agenda, and if it's worth giving a look. Never heard of it till today, but I'm intrigued knowing it has no Sub.

Eaten By A Grue said:
That does not have the ARMA II: OA expansions. It is probably easier to buy those off of Steam.

It includes ARMA 2 and OA. If you already have A2 and just want OA it's $10 by itself, so still cheaper than Steam.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So now that the graphics are no longer the pimpest in the fuckin' game, is Doom III worth getting? I'm not going to be using the duct tape mod or whatever it is.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Jinfash said:

It happens that if the first transaction is somehow denied and you try to purchase something too often steam will shut you down for about 5-12 hours.

You should simply wait and/or write the Steam Support if it really bothers you.

Also: Don't try to purchase via the US site if you live abroad. That will cause the same message and break your ability to purchase something.

Minsc

Gold Member
fresquito said:
I'll repeat again:

Beware with Crysis DRM. It's got only 5 activations. You can't redeem them, it's just only five and when done, Crysis is gone forever.

It is only $10 at least. Even if you activate it 5 times over 5 years, you probably got your money's worth.

On a side note, I wonder what happens if you run out of activations, would Steam let you rebuy it? I'd think you'd be forever stuck with a non-working game that you can't rebuy in your steam list (since you already own it, even if it has 0 activations), which somehow seems worse than a retail copy not working that you could just throw out and replace :lol

So you could be banned from playing Crysis on Steam for all eternity once you run out of activations if you can't rebuy games you own, which I'm pretty sure you can't.

Lumine

Buying Sim City 4.

Is that 5 activation limit true for Crysis? I want to pick it up at that price, but with DRM like that I won't.

Is Rush any good by the way?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Eh, I think I don't know if I should get the doom pack or not. On one hand, unless the whole id pack goes on sale, I don't think it could be had for less, on the other hand, I don't recall really liking Doom the last time I played it (I really have been wanting Quake lately though, why didn't you put that on sale!)

Hmmmmm....

Truespeed

vocab said:
Crysis with activation limits

:lol

Welcome to EA Games.

15q1yeg.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom