• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

Hah Thaddeus Young just admitted on ESPN that he rather play the Bulls than Heat.

Incoming tank job.

Considering you guys have styled on us each game this season and I think we won one game against the Bulls, it makes sense.

We about our moral victories here son.

Iggy, Brand and Lou are gonna sit the next few games out.

lol now watch the Bull stomp a bigger mudhole in us than the Heat did.

I may be mistaken but doesn't that kinda go on in every draft(in every sport)?

The golden tablets foretold of a Kobe Bryant coming and changing the fortune of one lucky team, Jerry West simply strong armed the league into looking the other way.

I apologize to Philly, Toronto, Grizzlies, Minnesota, Boston, Clippers, Nets, Mavericks, Indiana, Golden State and The Cavs.

Jerry West should have never put your daughters in that basement and forced you to not draft da god.

By being an asshole. Kobe isn't the first guy to say that he wouldn't play for certain teams and he certainly isn't the only rookie to pick his destination either.

Shit, we have situations like that every year.

Kanter and Jimmer refused to go to the Bucks, for example. The Lakers don't have that kind of resistance.

Everyone is worried about a Danny Ferry situation, and Kobe was threatening that. His age and background is exactly why everyone was afraid he'd do it; he did not have much to lose by forgoing a contract for a few years.

Emwitus

That really dismisses the fact that Kobe outright refused to go to any other team than the Lakers. Every scout that worked that draft said that he was a top 5 guy.

So the nba is rigged because a player felt entitled to play somewhere? A 17 year old kid?

EDIT: I wonder how many players would wanted to be drafed by the bobcats.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
So the nba is rigged because a player felt entitled to play somewhere? A 17 year old kid?

EDIT: I wonder how many players would wanted to be drafed by the bobcats.

I didn't say that at all.

Did I?
It doesn't matter what the players want, they don't get to choose where they get drafted.
They do if they've got the balls and an agent with a bit of leverage.

That is simply an example for a greater balancing problem the NBA has had for a while. There are many other reasons, and they help large market teams, particularly the Lakers, enjoy great advantages. Those teams still have to make correct front office decisions, but not to the degree that it would take a team like Milwaukee to achieve similar degrees of success.

The NBA is not perfect. It has flaws. Its a work in progress. I think there are enough people who care about the sanctity of the game that the future is bright. The past and the present don't need sugar-coating; the problems are there and its better to recognize them than to ignore them as if we live in an ideal system with no imbalance. The thought is nice, but the reality is different.

The harm is Lakers fans want to think they're the Spurs when they're actually the Yankees.

<3

linsivvi

The harm is Lakers fans want to think they're the Spurs when they're actually the Yankees.

Why would we think they are the Spurs when we have 17 championships?

Meanwhile, you just let Justin Timberlake dismiss your franchise's best player and do nothing about it.

It doesn't matter what the players want, they don't get to choose where they get drafted.

eli-manning-300.jpg

Steve-Francis2.jpg

images

Happens quite a bit.

Teams also make sure guys fall to them all the time too.

I picked the Grizzzz to come out of the West, but damn they had to play hard as hell tonight.

I like them, they'll give whoever their opponent is some trouble, but they're not chip material.

I think they can win a game or two against anyone, but in a series I doubt they can tackle OKC or MIA.

Doomsayer

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2012/news/120213/eli-manning-300.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.guxed.net/wp-content/uploads/Steve-Francis2.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIlEj-d5rt2RjsbkxqlAyW5NJUXntZp7chZVRJHm-2wEUn4S1b-g[IMG]

Happens quite a bit.

Teams also make sure guys fall to them all the time too.[/QUOTE]

So then who fucking cares?

This whole "argument" is fucking dumb.

This shit happens in every single sport, and if you think it doesn't then you are ignorant as fuck.

I'm not taking sides in this whole thing as I do realize that there are some advantages the bigger markets have over the small but honestly many of them are difficult to change as in the end you can't force dudes to play somewhere they do want to go....if a guy wants to go play somewhere and he has the power to make it happen then he's gonna make it happen.

LA can't really help that it is a nice place to live and that NBA players want to play there over say New Jersey or Milwaukee.. and outside of forcing people to play in one place or outlawing free agency, that advantage will probably always be there.

I just don't feel like it's that big of a deal especially since my team is in a big market but has not seen any of these advantages work for us. Maybe players like to go to places that has shown the ability to field a winner consistantly?

I don't know....

what I do know is that I thought this argument died when the lockout ended.

masud

Banned
Spurs fan bitching about draft malfeasance? lols

And I just got back from Cali. So San Diego is better than LA in almost every conceivable way. It's even more "LA" than the actual LA which I found drab and ugly.

Doomsayer

I'm not taking sides in this whole thing as I do realize that there are some advantages the bigger markets have over the small but honestly many of them are difficult to change as in the end you can't force dudes to play somewhere they do want to go....if a guy wants to go play somewhere and he has the power to make it happen then he's gonna make it happen.

LA can't really help that it is a nice place to live and that NBA players want to play there over say New Jersey or Milwaukee.. and outside of forcing people to play in one place or outlawing free agency, that advantage will probably always be there.

I just don't feel like it's that big of a deal especially since my team is in a big market but has not seen any of these advantages work for us. Maybe players like to go to places that has shown the ability to field a winner consistantly?

I don't know....

what I do know is that I thought this argument died when the lockout ended.

We have a winner.

All of these "small market pawns" prefer to dismiss the fact that most of the people making the moves are terrible at their job. They would rather blame other teams and complain about how rigged it is than have their scouts take accountability for terrible draft choices and poison contracts.

Keep fucking that chicken though, guys.

DY_nasty

So then who fucking cares?

This whole "argument" is fucking dumb.

This shit happens in every single sport, and if you think it doesn't then you are ignorant as fuck.
Not what TCB is trying to describe, but whogivesafuck

DY_nasty

Do you fucking understand how it works?

GMs could have said, "Fuck you, Kobe, you're coming to my team."

It doesn't matter what he wanted.

IIRC, Blake Griffin didn't want to come to LA but guess what?

That's awfully fucking dismissive considering that the few rookies who indeed possessed leverage were able to change their destinations without consequence.

That's just one part of TCB's broken argument, but it still stands.

linsivvi

Mr. Missthefuckingpoint

What point? Large markets will always have an inherent advantage no matter what the rules are. That pretty much applies to ALL aspect of life. All the league can do is to balance thing a little bit but there's only so much they can do. Whining about it will achieve nothing.

Not what TCB is trying to describe, but whogivesafuck

Nobody here should take Justin seriously.

That's awfully fucking dismissive considering that the few rookies who indeed possessed leverage were able to change their destinations without consequence.

That's just one part of TCB's broken argument, but it still stands.

As Knux posted, several players have done this but again, the teams have to agree to let it happen.

Again, if anyone imagined what Kobe would have turned into, I don't give a shit how much clout Tellem and West had, that fucker wouldn't have gone to LA.

Period.

thekad

Banned
What point? Large markets will always have an inherent advantage no matter what the rules are. That pretty much applies to ALL aspect of life. All the league can do is to balance thing a little bit but there's only so much they can do. Whining about it will achieve nothing.

And pretending it doesn't exist makes you look like an overly sensitive homer.

edit: oh, look...

DY_nasty

It goes back to what thekad was saying when you guys want to pretend like you're the Spurs, when you're really the Yankees. Ryutaro's barrage of dismiss and strawman is not the answer.
Nobody here should take Justin seriously.
When's he's not trying to troll like a junior, he's fine.

Top Bottom