• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA Finals |OT| the deli is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Reg season wins /=/ a good team.

See Lebrons first stint in Cle
See KG's TWolves
See Derricks MVP season
See Nash's led Suns
See the Harden led Rockets
See ATL this year
See any and all East Conf teams that are below the 2 seed.
But you just named good teams. Missing the finals doesn't mean a team isn't good.

Wizman23

Banned
If the Cavs smash the Warriors in game 1 its a sweep. The Cavs are playing team ball like no other and have the best player on the planet. They also are taking this a lot more seriously. Lebron keeps bringing his role players to the podium to show how much they matter and are respected while Lebron's finals opponent brings his toddler daughter up to the podium to make a spectacle.

If the Cavs smash the Warriors in game 1 its a sweep. The Cavs are playing team ball like no other and have the best player on the planet. They also are taking this a lot more seriously. Lebron keeps bringing his role players to the podium to show how much they matter and are respected while Lebron's finals opponent brings his toddler daughter up to the podium to make a spectacle.

Haha

Ha.

Godslay

Banned
Records, stats, analytics don't matter. Lebron is all that matters when it comes to the playoffs, after all.

I posted the same article about 3 days ago?

Anyways, Silver basically states that even with the difference in ELO, the GSW are only 3 point favorites on a neutral court with the average home victory in the past year being 2.4 points. You can't really stack the home victory numbers on top of the 3 point favorites, and even if you did they would be 6 point favorites each game at home if you rounded up, and essentially even on the road.

ELO isn't the end all be all of course. 1 seeds have won 14 out 31 times since 84', for 45% chance of winning the title. Which is pretty good, but still essentially a coin flip.

The thing with Lebron, and Curry to a lesser degree is the impact that 1 player can have on the entire game. It's larger than any other team sport. Especially when they are on the court the entire game.

So you really aren't too far off with your statement, but I'm assuming you are saying it sarcastically.

BadAss2961

Still don't get the Thibs hate. Had 11, 11 and 5th ranked offenses.

They aren't pretty but a FO that isn't shit will probably let him sign whoever he wants as assistants and not fire guys they don't like.

I'd take him on the Pels if he says the right things to Demps. Defense is our biggest problem and our offense looked a lot like a Thibs offense already and it was what kept us going. We actually ran a slower pace then Chicago.
Nah, Thibs really is bad on offense. No imagination, no adjustments, and the Bulls routinely have the longest scoring droughts at the worst times. The regular season is one thing, jumping from one opponent to the next every night. But the offense always gets exposed in the playoffs. Even against sorry teams, the Bulls never had cakewalk series with Thibs.

Thibs could definitely make the Pelicans better. But i'd worry about him running Davis into the ground. Offense and rotations are his big problems.

Azih

I've started to root for players more than teams (other than Toronto teams D:) and I like both James and Curry. So yay either way.

Fjordson

Apparently Van Gundy has been looking into job openings also? Will be kinda bummed if we're left with Mark Jackson as the main NBA analyst on ESPN next season.

CGGkEnIUoAEIIv1.jpg

I'm happy this exists, because it should stop the future revisionism right in its tracks.

Thibs needs to be an assistant again, or he needs to relax and cede some control to a creative offensive assistant on his next team. He's legitimately an amazing coach with a brilliant defensive mind, but he either needs a playmaker or two on the floor that will be able to override his tendencies, or a guy on his staff who can make the offensive calls/call the sets he can't - or won't.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I posted the same article about 3 days ago?

Anyways, Silver basically states that even with the difference in ELO, the GSW are only 3 point favorites on a neutral court with the average home victory in the past year being 2.4 points. You can't really stack the home victory numbers on top of the 3 point favorites, and even if you did they would be 6 point favorites each game at home if you rounded up, and essentially even on the road.

I suspect the average margin of victory would be higher if it wasn't for a lot of garbage time minutes we've seen this past season.

The point a lot of us are making is that it shouldn't be surprising that GS is favored in the series for various reasons, and are surprised how little credit they're getting from the people dismissing them outright. outright as a fluke, regular season wonder, not enough Finals experience, etc. Yet if anyone says anything remotely critical of the Cavs those same people dismiss the talk as Lebron haters with an agenda.

Many of us aren't even GS fans.

Jonm1010

Banned
Nah, Thibs really is bad on offense. No imagination, no adjustments, and the Bulls routinely have the longest scoring droughts at the worst times. The regular season is one thing, jumping from one opponent to the next every night. But the offense always gets exposed in the playoffs. Even against sorry teams, the Bulls never had cakewalk series with Thibs.

Thibs could definitely make the Pelicans better. But i'd worry about him running Davis into the ground. Offense and rotations are his big problems.

Monty was really bad too. Offensive philosophy and rotations were a glaring problem of his as well. In spite of that we had a good offense. Because we have a lot of offensive firepower and the best up and coming player in the league.

Thibs would have the most offensive firepower he ever had and all the pieces he would need to install a good defense.

In an ideal world a guy like Carlisle would be out there(proven, not many negatives in proper context) but I don't see the next Carlisle or even the next Kerr(well regarded by experts and expected to be a great coach) out there atm. I see a lot of guys with positives, negatives and a lot of unknowns. Thibs is ok to me. I could live with JVG, Malone and would take a chance on Hoiberg.

megalowho

Warriors in 5. Bron won't let them sweep. But the dubs are the more complete team, the deeper team, the healthier team. This is their year.

Howard says he is still a champion.

As CBS Sports' James Herbert (h/t Sporting News' Jordan Heck) reports, a sullen Howard told the media he will not let the loss bring him down, because he is a champion.

"It's tough, but I won't stop fighting," Howard said. "I'm going to continue to push myself to the limit and remember that, no matter how the season ends, I'm still a champion. And I won't let anyone tell me anything different."

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Warriors win this year simply by virtue of staying healthy while every other contender is whittled down by injuries.

Trey

"Cavs are playing team ball like no other [aside from the team they're facing in the Finals who are the leading example of both team offense and team defense in the league]!"

qcf x2

Cavs in 5 or 6. I'm not a Cavs fan, but they're winning it all this year, and good for that city.

W's are entertaining tho. I think they're gonna be like OKC, just can't quite get over that last hump.

kaiju

Going to be a great series.

So happy to see my Warriors make the Finals for the first time in 40 years. This is special, Golden State fans. Enjoy it.

Going to take a moment to reminisce as a fan.

My earliest memories as a Warriors fan was watching Manute Bol back in 1988. I'll never forget how freakishly tall he was. It almost seemed like cheating to see him simply drop the ball in the basket lol, but he was also known to attempt a bunch of three-pointers. I had to check, looks like he attempted 91 threes and hit 20 of them.

manute_bol_1988_12_23.jpg

Then there was Run TMC in the '90-'91 season. Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond and Tim Mullin combined to make the most exciting trio of players in Warriors history at the time. These guys could run like hell and score like crazy. It's too bad it only lasted a year. Still can't believe we traded Richmond.

0823-golden-state-warriors-.jpg

Over the next couple of decades, GS had teams with special players that showed potential. Chris Webber, Latrell Sprewell, Jason Richardson, Antawn Jamison, Adonal Foyle, Erick Dampier, Gilbert Arenas, Baron Davis, Monta Ellis and many more.

There was always hope that one of these teams could break through, but they never really did apart from a few playoff appearances. Internal conflicts, crazy contract issues, choked out coaches, you name it. The West was also basically dominated by the Lakers and Kings for a majority of the decade.

But now's our time. This years team has been amazing to watch. We've seen greatness from these guys the last couple of years, but they've taken it another level under Steve Kerr.

As good as they might be, this is all new to them. The Finals are never easy. LeBron has plenty of experience in this type of environment. The Warriors do not, but they do have home court advantage. So it will be interesting. Make no bones about it, this series is going to be good.

Going to be a great series.

So happy to see my Warriors make the Finals for the first time in 40 years. This is special, Golden State fans. Enjoy it.

Going to take a moment to reminisce as a fan.

My earliest memories as a Warriors fan was watching Manute Bol back in 1988. I'll never forget how freakishly tall he was. It almost seemed like cheating to see him simply drop the ball in the basket lol, but he was also known to attempt a bunch of three-pointers. I had to check, looks like he attempted 91 threes and hit 20 of them.

manute_bol_1988_12_23.jpg

Then there was Run TMC in the '90-'91 season. Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond and Tim Mullin combined to make the most exciting trio of players in Warriors history at the time. These guys could run like hell and score like crazy. It's too bad it only lasted a year. Still can't believe we traded Richmond.

0823-golden-state-warriors-.jpg

Over the next couple of decades, GS had teams with special players that showed potential. Chris Webber, Latrell Sprewell, Jason Richardson, Antawn Jamison, Adonal Foyle, Erick Dampier, Gilbert Arenas, Baron Davis, Monta Ellis and many more.

There was always hope that one of these teams could break through, but they never really did apart from a few playoff appearances. Internal conflicts, crazy contract issues, choked out coaches, you name it. The West was also basically dominated by the Lakers and Kings for a majority of the decade.

But now's our time. This years team has been amazing to watch. We've seen greatness from these guys the last couple of years, but they've taken it another level under Steve Kerr.

As good as they might be, this is all new to them. The Finals are never easy. LeBron has plenty of experience in this type of environment. The Warriors do not, but they do have home court advantage. So it will be interesting. Make no bones about it, this series is going to be good.

No love for Rick Barry?

He revolutionized the granny shot.

AcridMeat

Banned
I agree with most of this post, but what are you doing putting Foyle and Dampier on this list. I dreaded watching reg season games where Dampier was almost guaranteed to get 2 fouls within the first 5-6 minutes of every game because it meant we had to send Foyle out there.

Dampier had an extended playing career with Mavs, but he had maybe a couple good years with the Warriors.

Jag

Lebron keeps bringing his role players to the podium to show how much they matter and are respected while Lebron's finals opponent brings his toddler daughter up to the podium to make a spectacle.

Cavs fans smh. This is why I want GSW to win.

kaiju

I agree with most of this post, but what are you doing putting Foyle and Dampier on this list. I dreaded watching reg season games where Dampier was almost guaranteed to get 2 fouls within the first 5-6 minutes of every game because it meant we had to send Foyle out there.

Dampier had an extended playing career with Mavs, but he had maybe a couple good years with the Warriors.

I went to a lot of games when we had those guys. We had Foyle for 10 damn seasons. I remember exactly what you are talking about though, with Dampier and those fouls haha. Foyle had his share of boneheaded plays alright. I thought Dampier was going to be a premier center in the league but he never really took off until after he left GS.

Remember when everyone thought Jamison would be the second coming of Jordan? lol

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Who does Delly hurt? My money's on Bogut or Dray.

My money is on an attempt to re-ruin Livingston's life. Its too big of a target. Delly's probably dreaming of it right now. But, Livingston, being ever so vigilant about that protecting knee, is waiting for it and gets ejected after he jams a shoe up Delly's ass.

megalowho

Cave in 5, GS has no answer for the king
Actually with Draymond and Iggy, the Warriors have two guys that can probably play him one on one for the most part and hold their own. Plus Bogut waiting in the middle. It won't be an easy series for LeBron, though I expect a few heroics all the same.

Champagne

Banned
Salty. Warriors are known as being pretty cool people, actually.

Warriors in 5.
I mean who am I supposed to like?

Clay-this-cardboard-box-has-more-personality-than-me-Thompson?
Stephen-I-went-to-prep-school-and-had-private-trainers-and-tutors-my-whole-life-Curry?
Draymond-I-have-chronic-bitchface-Green?
Andrew-literally-nobody-on-this-planet-likes-me-Bogut?
Andre-this-dude-literally-just-shot-me-but-I'm-walking-around-fine-Iguodala?

Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom