• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

30% of PS5 users are new users and never got a PS4. USA PS5 share compared to peers has "expanded significantly"

Capture_decran_2023-02-02_a_13.png

The fact that roughly 10M of all PS5 users are new is a huge deal. We always talk about how early adapters are people that are already inside an ecosystem, these numbers far exceed my expectations. No wonder Sony is expecting big sales for this quarter now that production issues are not there anymore.

The fact that Sony is gaining ground in the USA is also...the worst type of news their "peers" could wish for, when their main product is on sale with no issues in their home country for half the price.

Sounds like 2023 is going to be huge for PS5 now with no production issues, a new slim model and games like FFXVI and Spider-Man 2 for the fall. PS VR2 even if it isn't a huge seller, will still be talked about which will boost some interest for the main console.

yazenov

But we were told by forum analysts that the reason why the PS4 was so successful was only due to competitors shooting themselves in the foot.

So this time will be different since the competition will be tougher and yet Sony continues the success and shut down all the doubters. Never bet against Sony.

Last edited:
This year is crucial for evaluating the future of the current generation.

for sony, they will have three major forces:

1.Single Player AAA GOTYs
2.GaaS
3.VR.

1= if they keep making an outstanding job making those....they will continue to corner that market.

2= if Factions is a hit....Pfff. A realistic Survival GaaS with PS production Values? the market is hungry for one of those.

3= for the enthusiasts that feel that videogames have become stagnated and need something that makes them feel like children once more.

Sony's future is incredibly strong.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The general assumption last gen was 2:1 PS4:Xbox. It would not surprise me if it goes to 3:1 or even 4:1 this gen. I felt like that before this gen started (I was very bullish on PS5) but it was impossible to tell because of supply. It seems like MS was putting out respectable numbers last year because Series S was the only console you could buy. It was covering up major problems in their strategy.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sounds like 2023 is going to be huge for PS5 now with no production issues, a new slim model and games like FFXVI and Spider-Man 2 for the fall. PS VR2 even if it isn't a huge seller, will still be talked about which will boost some interest for the main console.
Just having 2 exclusives might not be enough to hit 19 million. PS5 performed so well last year because they released HFW and GT7 back to back then GOW and TLOU in the second half of the year.

If we are to assume that exclusives help push consoles, they really need a big exclusive in the first half to keep up the sales pace and Forspoken aint it.

Just having 2 exclusives might not be enough to hit 19 million. PS5 performed so well last year because they released HFW and GT7 back to back then GOW and TLOU in the second half of the year.

If we are to assume that exclusives help push consoles, they really need a big exclusive in the first half to keep up the sales pace and Forspoken aint it.
they have several third party exclusives (planned) for this year.

diffusionx

Gold Member

A lot of people would have bought the PS5 for HFW/GT7/GOW but could not find it. They can now, that’s the point.

Yep, Microsoft needs really premium prestige games (and not bland gamepass fodder) if they are willing to truly compete
They can have RDR3 exclusive and won’t compete because Sony is like apple, the mind share they have on the console market can’t be beaten. Xbox is doing the right thing preparing for a post console future . Don’t get beat 2:1 again but the days of 1.2:1 aren’t happening. Focus on their services and not the box, people play Xbox for gamepass primarily not exclusives so bolster that service as much as you can. Monster hunter rise and hifi rush Are great additions.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The general assumption last gen was 2:1 PS4:Xbox. It would not surprise me if it goes to 3:1 or even 4:1 this gen. I felt like that before this gen started (I was very bullish on PS5) but it was impossible to tell because of supply. It seems like MS was putting out respectable numbers last year because Series S was the only console you could buy. It was covering up major problems in their strategy.
4:1 is nearly impossible, but 3:1 (or at least in the ballpark, i.e., 2.8:1) is a very, very real possibility now.

Nobody is stopping this PS5 train, especially with juggernauts like Spider-Man 2, Final Fantasy XVI + Rebirth, TLOU Online in the near future.

Xbox S|X is now pacing behind Xbox One, which must be quite concerning. And PS5 is expected to outsell PS4 when all is said and done. If XBS sells ~45 million this generation (instead of 52M like the previous one), I can see PS5 selling ~135 million units and outselling Xbox by 3:1.

mrmustard

Banned
I don't think it will get higher than 2:1. Microsoft might have an advantage with the S. If 3rd party crossgen support ends and the casuals have to upgrade, 200 or 250 could be attractive. And it might also be an attractive and affordable secondary console for non warrrior Switch/P5 owners to play Starfield or TES6. But who knows.

Last edited:

What? The 19M is for the fiscal year ending in March 2023.
I don't think we know Sony's projections for their next fiscal year (April 2023 / March 2024).

There's also the fact Sony hasn't shown all their cards for this year. Silent Hill 2 is supposed to be this year right? We don't know if Factions is this year or next. There's a lot to be revealed.

There's also the slim version that will be less expensive.

A Spider-Man 2 + PS Slim bundle for black friday would be the go-to gift this year.

Swift_Star

Banned

Spider-man is one of the biggest IPs in the world. What are you talking about?

gothmog

Gold Member
They can have RDR3 exclusive and won’t compete because Sony is like apple, the mind share they have on the console market can’t be beaten. Xbox is doing the right thing preparing for a post console future . Don’t get beat 2:1 again but the days of 1.2:1 aren’t happening. Focus on their services and not the box, people play Xbox for gamepass primarily not exclusives so bolster that service as much as you can. Monster hunter rise and hifi rush Are great additions.
You have to work both ends. Exclusives and GamePass. MHR and HFR are great but would not be considered system sellers.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Not happening. It’s currently around 1.5:1. Xbox is seeing relative success too. Covid brought alot more people back into gaming across the board. Sonys success here isn’t exclusive, but industry wide.
That number is without any PS5s on store shelves for two years. That’s the point. What I describe is the trajectory that the Sony CEO is describing here.

Maybe it would be a different story if Halo Infinite was a launch title and awesome but we all know how that went.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The not so surprising thing is that we all know where that 30% are coming from…
You know I had speculated that MS phoning in an entire gen instead of buckling down and releasing exclusive after exclusive like Sony did after they lost the PS3 generation in the first two years was eventually going to bite them in the ass.

Those 30% of new users are clearly from the MS ecosystem who have clearly given up on the Xbox. Excellent observation.

solidus12

You know I had speculated that MS phoning in an entire gen instead of buckling down and releasing exclusive after exclusive like Sony did after they lost the PS3 generation in the first two years was eventually going to bite them in the ass.

Those 30% of new users are clearly from the MS ecosystem who have clearly given up on the Xbox. Excellent observation.
I miss those PS3 days, Sony were willing to take more risks and they were very creative.

Not to mention that the first generation PS3 models were so ahead of their time.

Xbox should become a 3rd party publisher. Period.

Just look at the console gens:

Playstation 2: 158M
Xbox: 25M

Playstation 3: 87M
Xbox 360: 86M

Playstation 4: 116M
Xbox One: 50M

Playstation 5: 33M
Xbox Series S/X: >20M?

Xbox 360 going neck to neck with PS3 was a fluke and had everything to do with a "perfect storm", as they had a year had start, being cheaper and Sony just overall messing up at the start.
But as Sony got their shit together, they still managed to get ahead of X360.

This gen is shaping up to be another distaster for Xbox, likely to be worse than last gen.

That's why we have Spencer basically talking about Xbox becoming irrelevant and why we see MS buying up major publishers (or at least trying to).

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics...game-consoles-sold-worldwide-by-console-type/

Last edited:

solidus12

TLOU2 was an immense risk. Can’t understand this notion at all.
Yes, but I was talking about smaller-scale projects like:

Rain
Puppeteer
Modnation racers
Tokyo jungle

And new ips.

Here’s what Yoshida said at the beginning of the PS4 generation :

SpFm35B.jpg

Flutta

Banned

True.

This year we’ve got FF16, FF7R part 2, Spiderman2, Factions I mean those alone will be enough bring in ALOT of sales both from Japan and the west. I Hope Sony is ready with some extra stock by then lol.

Top Bottom