• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

30% of PS5 users are new users and never got a PS4. USA PS5 share compared to peers has "expanded significantly"

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Xbox should become a 3rd party publisher. Period.

Just look at the console gens:

Playstation 2: 158M
Xbox: 25M

Playstation 3: 87M
Xbox 360: 86M

Playstation 4: 116M
Xbox One: 50M

Playstation 5: 33M
Xbox Series S/X: >20M?

Xbox 360 going neck to neck with PS3 was a fluke and had everything to do with a "perfect storm", as they had a year had start, being cheaper and Sony just overall messing up at the start.
But as Sony got their shit together, they still managed to get ahead of X360.

This gen is shaping up to be another distaster for Xbox, likely to be worse than last gen.

That's why we have Spencer basically talking about Xbox becoming irrelevant and why we see MS buying up major publishers (or at least trying to).

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics...game-consoles-sold-worldwide-by-console-type/
360 succeeded because it had the exclusives people wanted. At least early on. Yes, The PS3 was more expensive but having Gears, Oblivion, Mass Effect, Halo 3 and Bioshock releasing within the first 2 years was absolutely insane and converted a huge portion of the most important casual audience early in the gen. Thats one gen where numbers dont tell the story. When COD became a juggernaut, you really got to see the massive divide between the PS3 and 360 userbases. The sales splits for those games was almost 2:1 which is why MS was able to secure all those DLC map packs.

Even then, they kinda topped out around 50 million until Kinect exploded in the US which helped them hit almost 90 million. Without kinect, i dont think they hit more than 60 because they had lost almost all the exclusives to PS3 by then.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
TLOU2 was an immense risk. Can’t understand this notion at all.
Depends, if you are talking about sales it was not, and the sales prove it, even with all the division between the fanbase it still sold very well, maybe not all they where hoping for but who knows.

If we are talking about press/awards and etc, it was the "oscar made product of the woke hollywood" no whay a game with so mutch feminist and woke elements would not make the todays press whet their pants, as it sure did.

So the only risk was division of the fanbase and that definitely happened in some degree but we will only know how much this will impact sales on cuckmans next game.

Im problably wrong but if I had to bet, I would bet that sales wise it came short of expectations and the next game will suffer from this division (just like star wars did).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
5FNe6eA.jpg
I wonder if he knows that he's a meme on Sony/Xbox Gaf? :pie_roffles:

Last edited:

Just look at the console gens:

Playstation 2: 158M
Xbox: 25M

Playstation 3: 87M
Xbox 360: 86M

Playstation 4: 116M
Xbox One: 50M

Playstation 5: 33M
Xbox Series S/X: >20M?

Xbox 360 going neck to neck with PS3 was a fluke and had everything to do with a "perfect storm", as they had a year had start, being cheaper and Sony just overall messing up at the start.
But as Sony got their shit together, they still managed to get ahead of X360.

This gen is shaping up to be another distaster for Xbox, likely to be worse than last gen.
I don't know why anyone would suggest Xbox be a 3rd party when the general sentiment is their games are all bad? The fact is that the X360 at the end of the generation still was in 3rd place. I don't think the games really mattered when the PlayStation brand is so much bigger.

Xbox can be successful without selling more consoles than Sony. Xbox has multiple vectors to get people into their ecosystem and none of them require them to stop selling hardware which is one of the major sources of their revenue. There is no way they can make more money on PlayStation vs their own hardware where they would have to pay Sony for the privilege. It would be a major step backwards for them.

Just read these threads for the bad takes at this point.

Xbox only doing 45 mil whole gen is a joke
Xbox becoming 3rd party then guy proves why it shouldnt be with his own post

therealmoonface

Neo Member
Crazy numbers, is it the younger crowd getting their first console? People switching from Xbox/PC/Nintendo? Either way, that really goes against the whole “brand loyalty” narrative I see a lot.

Swift_Star

Banned
Depends, if you are talking about sales it was not, and the sales prove it, even with all the division between the fanbase it still sold very well, maybe not all they where hoping for but who knows.

If we are talking about press/awards and etc, it was the "oscar made product of the woke hollywood" no whay a game with so mutch feminist and woke elements would not make the todays press whet their pants, as it sure did.

So the only risk was division of the fanbase and that definitely happened in some degree but we will only know how much this will impact sales on cuckmans next game.

Im problably wrong but if I had to bet, I would bet that sales wise it came short of expectations and the next game will suffer from this division (just like star wars did).
You're wrong. Game had strong sales and the next one will have even stronger sales.
By spring 2022, the game had sold 10 million copies according to statista.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1135726/the-last-of-us-part-ii-units-sold/

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
You're wrong. Game had strong sales and the next one will have even stronger sales.
By spring 2022, the game had sold 10 million copies according to statista.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1135726/the-last-of-us-part-ii-units-sold/
I cant be wrong, because neither me or you will ever know the EXPECTED sales that sony had for the sequel of their most acclaimed and successful IP to date (TLOU) ... we can only guess... it sold 10 millions maybe they where expecting to sell 15 or even 20 at the same time, maybe 10 was the expected for the time frame.. I dont know

Last jedi made 700 millions less that force awakens ... it still sold 1.4 billions... rise of skywalker made 400 millions less them last jedi .. still sold 1 billion

Sale is different from EXPECTED sales

Swift_Star

Banned
I cant be wrong, because neither me or you will ever know the EXPECTED sales that sony had for the sequel of their most acclaimed and successful IP to date (TLOU) ... we can only guess... it sold 10 millions maybe they where expecting to sell 15 or even 20 at the same time, maybe 10 was the expected for the time frame.. I dont know

Last jedi made 700 millions less that force awakens ... it still sold 1.4 billions... rise of skywalker made 400 millions less them last jedi .. still sold 1 billion

Sale is different from EXPECTED sales
Come On Please GIF by NBA

That's not going to stick.

Alebrije

I guess a lot of people that got Series S because was the only "next gen" console avaliable years ago are jumping to Series X and Playstation 5 ...this will grow this year.

Also single players games well done are prove of financial success

Sony will grow in hardware but do not see a great IP this year ,all the main ones where relased. Hope they have surprises because otherwise they will depend of other developers.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I have issue with the language and as such suspect the numbers are bullshit. 30% Never Used PS4? Sure prove that you fucking assholes. 30% did not have PSN accounts or used new ones. A big chunk is probably a kid getting the PS5 for xmas so daddy can play GoW:R.

iirc, these stats are worse than similar stats posted about the PS4 against the Xbox One this point last gen. Which means Xbox is leaking as much this time, so if they can maybe get some games out, maybe...

Last edited:

Poltz

I have issue with the language and as such suspect the numbers are bullshit. 30% Never Used PS4? Sure prove that you fucking assholes. 30% did not have PSN accounts or used new ones. A big chunk is probably a kid getting the PS5 for xmas so daddy can play GoW:R.
Source?

Reckheim

I guess a lot of people that got Series S because was the only "next gen" console avaliable years ago are jumping to Series X and Playstation 5 ...this will grow this year.

Also single players games well done are prove of financial success

Sony will grow in hardware but do not see a great IP this year ,all the main ones where relased. Hope they have surprises because otherwise they will depend of other developers.
Ever hear of Spiderman?

Sony looking to sell an insane 6m from Jan 1st to April 1st and setting a new record. It's about to become a bloodbath.

Last edited:
With low X stock, if it wasn't for those S fire sales for both months than things would be even worse. Oddly, the former issue has not been addressed nor mentioned by Phil. Even though he warned of that issue during the holidays right before the holidays happened, and promised before it would be resolved by then, and it didn't. Radio silence ever since.

If I was Nadella right now, I would be looking to replace Phil or giving him an ultimatum, just as good gesture for the Activision deal, even though it hasn't completed yet. If he chooses to replace him he can stage a retirement, which Phil is old enough to do (with MS salaries that's easy) anyway, and je can give Phil a golden pair of cement shoes on his way out thanking him for his service.

Problem is who would they replace him with Matt Booty? ugh.

NickFire

I initially dismissed the 30% claim assuming it was just some no-name market research study. Color me shocked when I realized its official data. Holy crap.

Regarding the increased time playing games, I wonder if its the lack of load times. I definitely spend more time playing games because of the lack of load times.

gothmog

Gold Member
360 succeeded because it had the exclusives people wanted. At least early on. Yes, The PS3 was more expensive but having Gears, Oblivion, Mass Effect, Halo 3 and Bioshock releasing within the first 2 years was absolutely insane and converted a huge portion of the most important casual audience early in the gen. Thats one gen where numbers dont tell the story. When COD became a juggernaut, you really got to see the massive divide between the PS3 and 360 userbases. The sales splits for those games was almost 2:1 which is why MS was able to secure all those DLC map packs.

Even then, they kinda topped out around 50 million until Kinect exploded in the US which helped them hit almost 90 million. Without kinect, i dont think they hit more than 60 because they had lost almost all the exclusives to PS3 by then.
360 was also exciting with it's online services. It felt different and fresh. I really miss that era of Xbox.

BlackTron

Okay wow. You really would have assumed the great majority of PS5 owners were existing Playstation fanatics.

It's sad to think that a situation was created where an Xbox fan might need a PS5 more desperately than a Sony fan who already has a PS4, but I think that's what happened here lol.

Gobjuduck

Banned

LOL no

PS4 had the advantage of the Wii U and the Xbox one. The Xbox one was not only more expensive, but weaker.

This generation Xbox has much more value in its power and in its software. It’s not going to perform worse, even if RROD 2.0 occurred.

2022 was weak for Xbox, 2023 is already better with one game.

I don't know why anyone would suggest Xbox be a 3rd party when the general sentiment is their games are all bad? The fact is that the X360 at the end of the generation still was in 3rd place. I don't think the games really mattered when the PlayStation brand is so much bigger.
Great example of reverse psychology. Not all games are bad. Games also don't need to be 90/100 games all the time.

Besides, the Playstation brand is so much bigger, because of it's games library.
Sony releases much more quality games at a steady rate, that's what makes Playstation popular.

MS just bought exclusives left and right during the x360-era, but that changed with Xbox One.

You know that.
Xbox can be successful without selling more consoles than Sony. Xbox has multiple vectors to get people into their ecosystem and none of them require them to stop selling hardware which is one of the major sources of their revenue. There is no way they can make more money on PlayStation vs their own hardware where they would have to pay Sony for the privilege. It would be a major step backwards for them.
Xbox is becoming irrelevant. They won't be successful, they haven't been since they moved on from X360.
The brand is bleeding and it's only getting worse from here on out.

Becoming 3rd party would be much more profitable. Just focus on developing games and distribute them on all platforms (PC/PS/Nintendo/Mobile/whatever).
Trying to continue the competition with Sony will only delay the inevitable and hurt Xbox even more, while they could've been much more profitable as a division by not competing with Sony.

"At least early on"

Right, the first year when PS3 wasn't out yet and maybe 2 more years when Sony was trying to recover from the "€599" disaster and lacklustre launch-window.

Xbox doesn't have the reliable games output that Sony has, nor the brand recognition and mindshare. Xbox is practically non-existent outside of the US and UK, with the exception of 360.
But again, that was a fluke due to Sony's fuck-up and MS throwing money around.

But even throwing money around doesn't seem to work anymore. The Xbox brand has been declining that much.

Nydius

his generation Xbox has much more value in its power and in its software
And yet the PS5 with its "weaker" hardware regularly outperforms XSX versions of multiplatform games. :pie_thinking: Software? Sony has been regularly dropping software from first and second parties since the PS5 launched. Microsoft goes months at a time where their only announcements is what their Game Pass additions are.

The only reason the sales numbers for Xbox (which are mostly educated guesses since Microsoft doesn't publish them) are closer to Sony this gen is because they have the Series S propping them up. If we took out the Series S and compared like-to-like, PS5 to XSX, Sony is probably 2:1 over Xbox. I give Microsoft credit for making the Series S understanding it's the only way they could close the gap. But they're still going to be in third place by a large margin.

Top Bottom