• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

30% of PS5 users are new users and never got a PS4. USA PS5 share compared to peers has "expanded significantly"

jm89

Problem is who would they replace him with Matt Booty? ugh.
5be4e09690035260d31a84c0_72F5F8972124650EC25C1E0F26F01ECA.jpg

Gobjuduck

Banned
Xbox is becoming irrelevant. They won't be succeed, they haven't been since they moved on from X360.
The brand is bleeding and it's only getting worse from here on out.
Is that ps5 keeping you warm in your bunker?
Becoming 3rd party would be much more profitable.
We get it, you want to play forza on your PlayStation, because it’s better than GT.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I guess a lot of people that got Series S because was the only "next gen" console avaliable years ago are jumping to Series X and Playstation 5 ...this will grow this year.

Also single players games well done are prove of financial success

Sony will grow in hardware but do not see a great IP this year ,all the main ones where relased. Hope they have surprises because otherwise they will depend of other developers.
Um the biggest one is coming yet

200.gif

Great example of reverse psychology. Not all games are bad. Games also don't need to be 90/100 games all the time.

Besides, the Playstation brand is so much bigger, because of it's games library.
Sony releases much more quality games at a steady rate, that's what makes Playstation popular.

MS just bought exclusives left and right during the x360-era, but that changed with Xbox One.

You know that.
The main reason X360 got so many 3rd party exclusives was that its hardware was significantly easier to develop for than PS3. Games like Oblivion worked much better on the 360.

PlayStation has always been the bigger brand though and Xbox has never outsold them no matter what games they had. Arguing that it was all about 'quality games' isn't true at all. Again 360 had plenty of quality games. They were in third place at the end of the generation.
Xbox is becoming irrelevant. They won't be successful, they haven't been since they moved on from X360.
The brand is bleeding and it's only getting worse from here on out.

Becoming 3rd party would be much more profitable. Just focus on developing games and distribute them on all platforms (PC/PS/Nintendo/Mobile/whatever).
Trying to continue the competition with Sony will only delay the inevitable and hurt Xbox even more, while they could've been much more profitable as a division by not competing with Sony.
People have argued that Xbox was irrelevant since 2001. It would be brand suicide to stop making hardware when that is the #1 place Game pass subs are gained. Game pass doesn't even exist on PlayStation so it would make more sense to stop making games all together than stop making Xbox hardware. Game pass provides a continuous revenue stream that traditional retail does not.

MS putting their games on more platforms(PC, Mobile, Cloud) in addition to their hardware gives them far more reach than shutting down the main avenue into their ecosystem. That is clearly not a serious suggestion for their future success. They can find more success getting a regular cadence of releases and hitting their usual platforms. What ever Sony or Nintendo does isn't the real concern. Those guys will always sell more consoles but MS does more than sell consoles.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
With low X stock, if it wasn't for those S fire sales for both months than things would be even worse. Oddly, the former issue has not been addressed nor mentioned by Phil. Even though he warned of that issue during the holidays right before the holidays happened, and promised before it would be resolved by then, and it didn't. Radio silence ever since.

If I was Nadella right now, I would be looking to replace Phil or giving him an ultimatum, just as good gesture for the Activision deal, even though it hasn't completed yet. If he chooses to replace him he can stage a retirement, which Phil is old enough to do (with MS salaries that's easy) anyway, and je can give Phil a golden pair of cement shoes on his way out thanking him for his service.

Problem is who would they replace him with Matt Booty? ugh.
Gt7teh6.jpg

The main reason X360 got so many 3rd party exclusives was that its hardware was significantly easier to develop for than PS3. Games like Oblivion worked much better on the 360.
That was only part of the story.
PlayStation has always been the bigger brand though and Xbox has never outsold them no matter what games they had. Arguing that it was all about 'quality games' isn't true at all. Again 360 had plenty of quality games. They were in third place at the end of the generation.
Well, yeah. That's obvious. Fact is, Xbox games became more mediocre, whereas Sony keeps raising the bar with every release.

But not sure what you're arguing here. My point is that Xbox is becoming irrelevant, you're indirectly supporting that claim.
Especially since you're a known xbox fanboy, iirc.
People have argued that Xbox was irrelevant since 2001. It would be brand suicide to stop making hardware when that is the #1 place Game pass subs are gained. Game pass doesn't even exist on PlayStation so it would make more sense to stop making games all together than stop making Xbox hardware. Game pass provides a continuous revenue stream that traditional retail does not.
Xbox is becoming irrelevant, X360 was a fluke, which is what a certain part of the gaming community is clinging on to til this day.

And obviously GamePass isn't on PlayStation, they're direct competitors and unless MS quits being one of the three console-giants, putting GamePass on PlayStation will put even more gamers on PlayStation and kill Xbox.

On GamePass: didn't Spencer come out recently to state that while GamePass is profitable to them, it isn't enough to sustain the Xbox brand and they need the mobile market to stay relevant?
MS putting their games on more platforms(PC, Mobile, Cloud) in addition to their hardware gives them far more reach than shutting down the main avenue into their ecosystem. That is clearly not a serious suggestion for their future success. They can find more success getting a regular cadence of releases and hitting their usual platforms. What ever Sony or Nintendo does isn't the real concern. Those guys will always sell more consoles but MS does more than sell consoles.
That's the key point here: "in addition to their hardware"

That's their problem right now, are they going to keep selling hardware and become irrelevant or quit and become 3rd party which is a gamble.

I've been saying for a few years now, I believe Spencer was put in place to oversee the transition to becoming 3rd party, for MS to become like EA.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Yes, but I was talking about smaller-scale projects like:

Rain
Puppeteer
Modnation racers
Tokyo jungle

And new ips.

yea and then you ignored

Concrete Genie
Dreams
AstroBot
Destruction AllStars
Drawn to Death
SackBoy
LittleBigPlanet 3
and of their VR content.

So I'm not really sure about this whole

I miss those PS3 days, Sony were willing to take more risks and they were very creative.

As a lot of that same shit is still being made and I'd argue VR is a bigger more costly risk in regards to creativity.

Nothing wrong with liking Rain, its a great game, but stop forcing this fake narrative that we don't get smaller games, no risk is being made or nothing creative is going on as if VR and Dreams doesn't exist or some shit lol

Last edited:
Honestly not surprised. Switch is towards the end of it's life cycle and Xbox just doesn't have the games to bring people in. As much as I shrug at Sony's First party over-the-shoulder fetish, the data are the data. Their games sell bigly. Game Pass is not a system seller and this more or less proves it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This year is crucial for evaluating the future of the current generation.

for sony, they will have three major forces:

1.Single Player AAA GOTYs
2.GaaS
3.VR.

1= if they keep making an outstanding job making those....they will continue to corner that market.

2= if Factions is a hit....Pfff. A realistic Survival GaaS with PS production Values? the market is hungry for one of those.

3= for the enthusiasts that feel that videogames have become stagnated and need something that makes them feel like children once more.

Sony's future is incredibly strong.

This is a very smart take. Those are literally their 3 pillars for this gen. To me that's amazingly balanced. Two more minor pillars are....

4. Moving more PS games to PC
5. Making PS gaming brands into TV and movies.

coffinbirth

I'm curious what % of that is directly XBO users that opted for PS5 over XS S/X. And conversely, what % of the Xbox division growth via XS S/X sales are from people jumping ship from PS4.

ABnormal

If this continues, this gen is gonna be worse than last.

Hope MS turns it around and would be able to compete somewhat to keep Sony/Playstation honest.
Well, all the acquisitions that MS has done have to bear fruit, sooner or later, and then games will come out. Starfield will be the first big game that Bethesda launched since Skyrim, and that is already something.

SSfox

And it's just the begining, this year and bit later with Spiderman 2, Stellar blade, Street Fighter 6, Tekken 8, Wukong , FF16 and much much more it is gonna be another crazy exciting year for PS5

Also personally I'm looking at forward to gowr NG+ this Summer

The absolute best place to Play.

Last edited:
If Xbox is losing market share in its home territory, even with the "success" of GamePass then Xbox is in pretty dire straits.

Microsoft leadership must really be looking at Xbox leadership and asking why their studios are largely not finding success and why they think spending tens of billions of dollars in acquisitions is the only way to have success, and if it's even worth it at that point. Microsoft spending nearly 5 times Xbox's annual revenue to remain even a little competitive is like fixing leaky pipes by turning up the water pressure, sure more water makes it to the destination but a lot more is lost too.

If this keeps up for the next 2 years I honestly can see games like TES6 and FO5 being on PS5.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Again 360 had plenty of quality games. They were in third place at the end of the generation.

The vast majoroty of the quality games on the 360 were front loaded to the first half of the generation (or roughly thereabouts).

Then a certain someone took over at the helm of xbox first party, it rapidly went downhill and has not recovered since. I'll leave it to you to work out who that someone was.

There is only one constant in all of this.

Last edited:
I feel like xbox doesn't market themselves nearly as well as ps. Whenever a big sony release happens you'll see the ads on tv all the time. I don't even remember any ads for Halo, etc. Playstation is definitely the cooler brand right now.

Nydius

Well, all the acquisitions that MS has done have to bear fruit, sooner or later, and then games will come out. Starfield will be the first big game that Bethesda launched since Skyrim, and that is already something.
Could you imagine how abysmal Microsoft's output would be had they not acquired Bethesda/Zenimax? They're leaning hard on Bethesda to carry them this year. Without Bethesda Softworks, they'd basically only have Forza. Maybe Hellblade 2. After going all of 2022 with nothing but Pentiment.

I don't even remember any ads for Halo, etc.

Back in the heyday of the X360 era, their ads were fantastic. The Gary Jules Mad World Gears of War ad and the Halo 3 Believe diorama ad were top tier. But you're right in that they've lost that kind of marketing swagger ever since then.

ABnormal

Could you imagine how abysmal Microsoft's output would be had they not acquired Bethesda/Zenimax? They're leaning hard on Bethesda to carry them this year. Without Bethesda Softworks, they'd basically only have Forza. Maybe Hellblade 2. After going all of 2022 with nothing but Pentiment.

Back in the heyday of the X360 era, their ads were fantastic. The Gary Jules Mad World Gears of War ad and the Halo 3 Believe diorama ad were top tier. But you're right in that they've lost that kind of marketing swagger ever since then.
Eh, that's their strategy, after all: after more than a generation without producing any significant game outside the usual triad, they accepted their ineptitude (or maybe their lack of interest to add something to the market) and just decided to buy succesful IPs that someone else already made. So that third party IPs now are called "MS exclusives".

Long gone are the times of 360, when XBoX division actually had a vision and gave its contribution to videogames world. Now it doesn't create anything and just tries to monopolize existing IPs.

The only good thing in it is that pushes competitors to do more, in a market that too often relies on the same iterations and the same IPs. Sometime a good shaking brings a welcomed change. We will see.

Last edited:
So reading this news, it got me thinking, just as an interesting exercise, what are the subreddit membership numbers for the PS4 vs Xbox One, as well as the Xbox Series X vs PS5 subreddit numbers currently at as of now for February 2023? From what I see, Xbox One subreddit = 4.0 million, PS4 subreddit = 5.6 million, Xbox Series X subreddit = 1.4 million, and PS5 subreddit = 2.9 million.

I know some people here will just dismiss these numbers as nonsense and unscientific, but you would think that the ratio of the two competitors subreddits would remain roughly the same between the 8th and 9th console generations, but instead it appears that the ratio has moved sharply in PlayStation's favor for the 9th console generation. Now, maybe I'm wrong about this and someone can correct me here, but I would think it's safe to assume that North America + Western Europe would be overrepresented in these subreddit membership numbers, while developing countries would be underrepresented due to a variety of reasons. And if that's the case, then these subreddit membership numbers seem to be an ominous sign for Microsoft considering the United States and the United Kingdom are among, if not the top 2 performing regions for Xbox historically.

Lastly, it's not just reddit, but I think others on here have mentioned how Youtube views for game trailers/reveals videos uploaded by the official Playstation channel typically get far higher number of views than similar game trailers/reveals videos by the official Xbox channel on Youtube.

So reading this news, it got me thinking, just as an interesting exercise, what are the subreddit membership numbers for the PS4 vs Xbox One, as well as the Xbox Series X vs PS5 subreddit numbers currently at as of now for February 2023? From what I see, Xbox One subreddit = 4.0 million, PS4 subreddit = 5.6 million, Xbox Series X subreddit = 1.4 million, and PS5 subreddit = 2.9 million.

I know some people here will just dismiss these numbers as nonsense and unscientific, but you would think that the ratio of the two competitors subreddits would remain roughly the same between the 8th and 9th console generations, but instead it appears that the ratio has moved sharply in PlayStation's favor for the 9th console generation. Now, maybe I'm wrong about this and someone can correct me here, but I would think it's safe to assume that North America + Western Europe would be overrepresented in these subreddit membership numbers, while developing countries would be underrepresented due to a variety of reasons. And if that's the case, then these subreddit membership numbers seem to be an ominous sign for Microsoft considering the United States and the United Kingdom are among, if not the top 2 performing regions for Xbox historically.

Lastly, it's not just reddit, but I think others on here have mentioned how Youtube views for game trailers/reveals videos uploaded by the official Playstation channel typically get far higher number of views than similar game trailers/reveals videos by the official Xbox channel on Youtube.
and also the reason of "sonyGaf"

30% being completely new to the Playstation Network is very surprising. I'd be interested in knowing where they migrated from, if anywhere, and what games are they playing immediately after purchasing a PS5...?

lucbr

Sony CFO said that they lost market shared in the summer but expanded significantly more recently. Also said that this is dynamic so I wouldn't read much into this. The market shared fluctuates throughout the year and I Imagine that with Ragnarok this was very much expected.

I can see the appeal of blockbuster, realistic, AAA games, which like big movies attract large audiences. I think Microsoft needs them. That said, today I've been playing more on Series X. Their games have quality (metacritic attest) and a variety that for me, who doesn't play on PC, can't find anywhere else (AoE, Fligh Sim, Pentiment, As Dusk Falls, Hi-Fi, etc). For someone who plays on PC (or even in the cloud), PS5 makes a perfect combo and both MS and Sony will be happy.

Top Bottom