• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 8" tablets: Thin+light, fast web browsing w/Flash, 8-10 hours...and Steam

White Man

I can't not recommend the Venue 8. I've been nothing but surprised by it perf-wise. Great build quality, only negative is the resolution. For a version 1 product, it's pretty great.

Skip the stylus, though. It is godawful

Now I'm considering gifting this to my dad. Does it have keyboard accessory?

How would the touch stuff work with accounting software?

maeh2k

The Miix 2 seems more interesting than I thought and Lenovo is actually going to sell it for 300 Euros in Germany. I'll keep an eye on it.

Reallink

The HP Omni is 10" 1200p for $399 with the faster Baytrail. Wanting it or the Venue 11, but need reviews first. Omni is a much better value than the 8"ers IMO.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why don't any of these have HDMI ports? Seems like an odd decision.

I can't not recommend the Venue 8. I've been nothing but surprised by it perf-wise. Great build quality, only negative is the resolution. For a version 1 product, it's pretty great.

That sucks about the stylus. So it's completely unusable? How does it perform with photoshop?

dLMN8R

Since I'm a huge dork I got the Lenovo Miix 2 also. I got it yesterday in the mail, to directly compare with my Dell Venue 8 Pro.

The Miix 2 made a better first-impression. It's slightly but noticeably lighter, the screen gets brighter and seems to have better color reproduction. But after that is where things kind of broke down.

1) The speaker is terrible. The Dell's is always loud and great without any distortion. The Lenovo's speaker is ridiculously quiet turned all the way up, and even then there was a little distortion too. Maybe it was a defective piece but it didn't sound bad enough to really justify that guess.

2) The screen doesn't get dim enough for usage in dark rooms. It's really frustrating - an important consideration for me.

3) The on-screen keyboard worked awfully for me. This is the first time I've ever seen this on any Windows 8/8.1 touch device. You know how the 8.1 touch keyboard has context menus for certain keys when you hold them long enough, to get accents or alternate characters? Those kept showing up.

Example: typing the word "This".

On the Dell, I can simply use three fingers in quick succession for t-h-i...and so on. Works perfectly.

On the Lenovo, no matter what I did, it kept thinking that I was holding the 't' key long enough to get the context menu, so then instead of 'h' the next character I typed was 'þ'

Maybe both a driver/firmware problems, but it doesn't really seem like it so far. I ended up returning the Miix 2 and will keep the Venue 8 Pro.

Blackhead

Redarse
I was pretty dead set on a Retina iPad mini, but these have me interested. Is there one that's less than $500, has a high rez screen, and good performance (with 4-8gb of ram)? Would also need to be ~8inches or so. A 10 inch device would be too big for what I want.

lol wut

Thanks for info I almost order the stylus.

Massa

Sounds great, finally x86 seems viable for a tablet. The sooner I'm rid of locked down ARM **** the better.

Retina iPad mini it is. Maybe give these windows tablet things a few more years.

For the price of iPad retina I can get two Dell Venue Pro and do more stuff with it. My wife and I won't have to fight over the new tablet. I was also dead set on getting the mini but now I don't see the point I can play my Steam, GOG, and Blizzard games on my tablet!

My mind is still blown by this.

0Psm1Jpl.jpg

For the price of iPad retina I can get two Dell Venue Pro and do more stuff with it. My wife and I won't have to fight over the new tablet. I was also dead set on getting the mini but now I don't see the point I can play my Steam, GOG, and Blizzard games on my tablet!

My mind is still blown by this.

0Psm1Jpl.jpg
Want so badly.
Dunno when or at what price it'll release here in the UK.

The HP Omni is 10" 1200p for $399 with the faster Baytrail. Wanting it or the Venue 11, but need reviews first. Omni is a much better value than the 8"ers IMO.

The Omni 10 seems pretty nice, but the bluetooth kb and dock attachment are extra and don't really scream "portable".

The ASUS T100 is now in stock at the MS store and best buy though, online at least.

RoadDogg

I finally ordered the T100 yesterday from Amazon. I have been trying to buy it for the past month but no one ever had it in stock. For $399 with a keyboard it seems to be the best deal to me. I know everyone in the world hated netbooks but I have been using one since they first came out without issue. I only runs XP but served its purpose just fine as a spare/cheap/lightweight PC. The battery finally crapped out and has to be plugged in to use, so this was a perfect upgrade to me. The fact that can actually run some light gaming is just a plus.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Want so badly.
Dunno when or at what price it'll release here in the UK.

I'm thinking the same. I'm a confirmed mac head but my next tablet is going to be one of these. X86 in a tablet format. Fantastic.

These do have full size USB ports on them so I can plug in my Xbox 360 controller?

zou

Retina iPad mini it is. Maybe give these windows tablet things a few more years.

You do realize the mini is stuck with 1gb and actual available ram is even lower due to 64bit overhead?

Either way, not sure what your point is. These windows tablet things have 2x - 2.5x the ram of the new mini.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I read of experiences with AT100 bay trail that cried foul about its alleged performance...sadly...
They still seem slower than something like a C2D 1.5 Ghz Lowvoltage chip from like 6 years ago. So this stuff is still not ready to be a notebook replacement.

If you want to do anything else other than Facebooking, Youtubing or twitter on stuff like this you still need to shell out like 850bucks for a Dell Venue 11 Pro with an i5 Core...

I was also looking forward to Bay Trail but would not pick that option for a Dell Venue 11 Pro and am now unsure if I really want to shell out like 1k for a Dell Venue 11 Pro with keyboard dock...

This , they will be worth it performance/dollar next year though , if intel brings its tick / tock update to tablet form factors, and amd can get its hUMA chips in as well performance will be much more worth peoples time beyond waving their finger around on a screen and causing gui windows to resize in various ways. But they are mobile and can do productivity/dev software so thats one good use, local or connected to a server/cloud.

Any of these tablets have good speakers? "Good" relative to general tablet speakers. I'm being drawn to the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 for the good speakers.

maeh2k

Since I'm a huge dork I got the Lenovo Miix 2 also. I got it yesterday in the mail, to directly compare with my Dell Venue 8 Pro.

The Miix 2 made a better first-impression. It's slightly but noticeably lighter, the screen gets brighter and seems to have better color reproduction. But after that is where things kind of broke down.

1) The speaker is terrible. The Dell's is always loud and great without any distortion. The Lenovo's speaker is ridiculously quiet turned all the way up, and even then there was a little distortion too. Maybe it was a defective piece but it didn't sound bad enough to really justify that guess.

2) The screen doesn't get dim enough for usage in dark rooms. It's really frustrating - an important consideration for me.

3) The on-screen keyboard worked awfully for me. This is the first time I've ever seen this on any Windows 8/8.1 touch device. You know how the 8.1 touch keyboard has context menus for certain keys when you hold them long enough, to get accents or alternate characters? Those kept showing up.

Example: typing the word "This".

On the Dell, I can simply use three fingers in quick succession for t-h-i...and so on. Works perfectly.

On the Lenovo, no matter what I did, it kept thinking that I was holding the 't' key long enough to get the context menu, so then instead of 'h' the next character I typed was 'þ'

Maybe both a driver/firmware problems, but it doesn't really seem like it so far. I ended up returning the Miix 2 and will keep the Venue 8 Pro.

That's so disappointing. With the Miix 2 launching at 299 Euros in Germany compared to 399 for the Dell it seemed like a great alternative. I'll wait for some reviews and maybe they can fix some stuff via software updates.
Too bad neither Nokia nor Microsoft managed to release an 8" tablet this year.

tokkun

These are tempting, but with T-Mobile offering that free 200 MB plan for tablets, it's hard to bite now rather than waiting to see if the version with WWAN supports T-Mobile and how much it costs.

Hold up...when you say Steam, does this mean you have access to any game that meets the minimum specs? Or is this for specific tablet games that are steam compatible? This is very confusing.

aaaaa0

Hold up...when you say Steam, does this mean you have to any game that meets the minimum specs? Or is this for specific tablet games that are steam compatible? This is very confusing.

It's an Intel x86 CPU, and it's running Windows 8.1 full edition (NOT RT).

Any game for which the tablet meets the minimum specs will run.

Naturally, since this *IS* a tablet, any game that doesn't support touch will mean you have to plug in a mouse/keyboard (or a 360 controller, or whatever supported input device) into the USB port.

thekenta

Does the Dell support a keyboard?
It does sound very tempting to get this for taking notes at the uni once it hits Europe.

MCD

Lenovo IdeaTab Miix2 8-Inch is also now available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F2ENTYI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Difference between it and the Dell:
Wpcentral said:
The Miix2 though sports an 8 MP rear camera (versus 5 MP for the Dell) and a 2 MP front camera (versus 1.2 MP for the Dell). The Miix 2 also features the unique Veriface Face Recognition Software, so you can just login with your mug and the Miix 2 also weighs less (0.77lb versus 0.87lb for the Dell). Finally, the Dell is a matte black with a soft-touch paint while the Lenovo is a silver-metal.

And from the comments there:

One difference is in the CPU/RAM combination:

Miix 2 uses the Intel z3740 with 2 GB LPDDR3. (http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/ideatab/miix-series/miix-2/#techspecs)

Dell uses the Intel z3740D with 2 GB DDR3L-RS. (http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-8-pro/pd)

The CPU in the Miix 2 is better. Found a summary here (http://wimages.vr-zone.net/2013/08/intel-bay-trail-t.png).

http://www.wpcentral.com/now-shipping-lenovo-ideatab-miix2-8-inch-tablet-amazon

It does sound very tempting to get this for taking notes at the uni once it hits Europe.

It's a Windows 8.1 computer in an 8" tablet form. There is no full size USB only the mini port but it does support Bluetooth so any Bluetooth keyboard and mouse will work.

GHG

Gold Member
I was going to get a ipad air but after seeing this thread I'm not so sure anymore...

One of the main attractions of the ipad is the gaming library but being able to have access to and play a lot of my steam library on the go would be incredible.

What is the tablet in this video?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxM2YPagTA0

The performance looks great.

Chichikov

I was going to get a ipad air but after seeing this thread I'm not so sure anymore...

One of the main attractions of the ipad is the gaming library but being able to have access to and play a lot of my steam library on the go would be incredible.

What is the tablet in this video?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxM2YPagTA0

The performance looks great.
That's a Samsung ATIV tablet, but mind you, they have a core i5 version which is obviously much stronger than the Atoms (not to mention cost more and have a shorter battery life).

GHG

Gold Member
That's a Samsung ATIV tablet, but mind you, they have a core i5 version which is obviously much stronger than the Atoms (not to mention cost more and have a shorter battery life).

Thanks.

What about the dell one in the middle of the video?

zou

ya, any usb device works. last night I had a keyboard, mouse and usb drive hooked up while installing windows. performanc is quite impressive, gpu beats the ipad 4, cpu handily beats the new ipad air and battery easily matches the ipad mini.

unfortunately no hdmi out though. and weight difference coming from an ipad mini is noticably, but acceptable in landscape. though if you're fine with the regular sized ipad weight isn't a problem. mini comes in at 330g, ipad air 450g and the dell is 400g.

zou

does anyone know what the actual weight of the lenovo miix2 is? amazon has it at both 11.2 ounces and 0.77lbs, so 315g or 350g. In any case, I'll probably switch to the miix 2 assuming everything else matches the dell.

tino

Banned
Can one of you guys get the Logitech keyboard for iPad mini and see it it work with these W8 tablets?

Top Bottom