• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 - 60fps Roll Call

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Currently :
COD2
Dynasty Warriors 5 Special
Everyparty :D
Tony Hawk
Gun
Moto GP 2006
NBA 2k6
Lotsa XBLA games

Soon and confirmed :
Full Auto
Burnout Revenge
Ninety-Nine Nights
Top Spin 2
World Airforce / Over G

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
olimario said:
I don't know, but PGR3 looks just fine at 30 and a lower res. I wish more devs would make the payoff.

nono.gif

Cannot have devs thinking that's OK. Not this gen, no sir.

You have MotoGP 2006 already Blim?

jedimike

Is 60 fps some kind of elitist badge of honor? I mean does anyone really care? As long as the game is not choppy... I'm good. Having a list of 60fps games is about as important as listing games that have weiner dogs or green apples.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
jedimike said:
Is 60 fps some kind of elitist badge of honor? I mean does anyone really care? As long as the game is not choppy... I'm good. Having a list of 60fps games is about as important as listing games that have weiner dogs or green apples.

Some people are framerate whores. I don't mind as long as it doesn't get choppy visually either.

jedimike said:

No it really doesn't matter. But, this is the internet and it's filled with elitist pricks who need to bitch about SOMETHING.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
jedimike said:

Here we go.

New console + crazy POWAH = 60fps games

At least that's how it should be. The games aren't exactly mind blowing graphically, so the performance should be there.

Why would anyone be OK with less than that? This would be a non-issue if devs would include a toggle for both.

DaCocoBrova said:
Here we go.

Why would anyone be OK with less than that? This would be a non-issue if devs would include a toggle for both.

You could have said this with PS2/Xbox in 2000/2001. New console, great power, why not 60 fps? Yet it didn't happen always, hmm I wonder if it isn't as easy as it seems to just say, hey let's make everything 60fps

Dr_Cogent

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
Here we go.

At least that's how it should be. The games aren't exactly mind blowing graphically, so the performance should be there.

Well, first of all, devs don't really know how to tap the full power out of it yet probably.

Secondly, give devs more power, and they will find a way to chew it all up anyhow. Hence, this is the main reason why.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jedimike said:
Some people care. When it comes to racers, to me it really sucks when the game doesn't run at 60FPS. Another example are fighting games, and it also makes platforming and FPS gameplay feel much nicer. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind 30FPS in many genres (hell, some games I think should maybe even go for 30FPS + motion blur intentionally), but almost everything feels just that much better, and moves and controls smoother when it's 60FPS - especially on a big screen.

TheDuce89 said:
What is so great about 60 fps? NFS feels faster at 30 (if it is 30) than RR does at 60.
Play Burnout 4, then try playing NFS after that. Even on a small screen of PSP, the Burnout's 30FPS doesn't feel quite right when you compare it with console version. It's not nearly as big of a deal on a screen that small, but sometimes you can tell the game would feel more right if they just made it to run at 60.

Shompola

Banned
If it is such a big deal for you, find another hobby, 30fps is most likely going to get even more popular this gen.

jedimike

DaCocoBrova said:

Because it has ZERO effect on gameplay. Smooth is smooth.

human5892 said:
Fixed. Some of us can tell quite a difference between a 30FPS and 60FPS game.

youre full of it. you're tellng me 30 or 60 fos is a make or break point for you as far as games go? I highly doubt that.

Elitist drama queens, i swear.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I'd settle for 30fps if they could stop allowing screen tearing in games... I can't stand that, gives me a headache.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jedimike said:
By that logic, 20 or even 15 would have very little effect on gameplay, as long as they are relatively consistent (and it's true, see SotC) Doesn't mean it's not a valid complaint though, because it hampers the visual feedback to your actions. 30FPS is just not as smooth as 60. In fact it's not very smooth at all when there's fast motion on a large screen.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Outcast2004 said:
youre full of it. you're tellng me 30 or 60 fos is a make or break point for you as far as games go? I highly doubt that.

Elitist drama queens, i swear.
Don't put words in my mouth -- I never said "make or break". I'm not going to skip on a game just because it's 30FPS and not 60. I did say that I can tell quite a difference, and I'd much prefer 60FPS.

DaCocoBrova said:
Cannot have devs thinking that's OK. Not this gen, no sir.
Why? There's no difference from the previous gen, regarding to this matter. Developers have an hardware to work with, and they choose to stuff it with gfx rather than making it go 60fps. For example, Mark Rein told about GOW that he's ok with 30fps, and he prefers to employ unused console power on more gfx effects rather than on a higher framerate.

human5892 said:
Don't put words in my mouth -- I never said "make or break". I'm not going to skip on a game just because it's 30FPS and not 60. I did say that I can tell quite a difference, and I'd much prefer 60FPS.

I wasn't "putting words in your mouth", it was a hypothetical question.

It's like some a few posts up has said.

Yeah, this is a great description for individuals whining in a thread dedicated to simply listing 60fps games.

Also, yeah, 30 or 60, tearing needs to go.

Pearl_Harbor.jpg

CONGRATS ELITISTS! YOU'VE SUCCESSFULLY PEARL HARBORED ANOTHER THREAD!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
MS versus Sony
30 FPS versus 60 FPS
Online Play versus No Online Play
Revolution will succeed versus fail
Peter Moore is an Idiot; Ken K is a genius
PS2 did this better than....
etc. etc.

Some of these topics are getting re-visited OVER AND OVER again. Give it up!

Let's turn this into an anti-tearing thread, as it's a much bigger problem on 360 than on any console ever, and way more annoying than 'only' 30FPS. Does the 360 even HAVE a V-sync option? I've seen tearing in all 6 of the games I own, and even the MENUs tear.

Granted, the games with solid framerates have less tearing--I've only seen it a couple of times in Call of Duty 2 and King Kong, and just once so far in Condemned--but it really seems like the 360 has no V-sync.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Leondexter said:
Let's turn this into an anti-tearing thread, as it's a much bigger problem on 360 than on any console ever, and way more annoying than 'only' 30FPS. Does the 360 even HAVE a V-sync option? I've seen tearing in all 6 of the games I own, and even the MENUs tear.

Granted, the games with solid framerates have less tearing--I've only seen it a couple of times in Call of Duty 2 and King Kong, and just once so far in Condemned--but it really seems like the 360 has no V-sync.

Same problems existed on the Xbox. Splinter Cell: CT had that problem for me.

I don’t have to be a genius to figure out why developers are moving towards a engine that runs at 30fps in hi res. But that being said I still don’t like the move back from the almost standard 60fps.

I must confess to not being a pc gamer but here is my question. Since the technology usually runs somewhat parallel at time between consoles and pcs, has this 30 to 60 fps debate happened?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I got to play NBA 2K6 last night in High-Def. The player models looked very impressive and had a lot of great animations. I sat there and played while my wife watched and she commented on how amazing it looked. I then noticed the crowds and coaches looking a bit last-gen and I made a comment on how crappy they looked in comparison. She then stated the hands looked like they were out of proportion with the rest of their bodies. As she was finishing her comment, I drove Vince Carter to the hoop and made a spectacular dish to Richard Jefferson that resulted in a massive dunk. We both immediately stopped talking about the little shit and agreed that the game plays awesome. The point: gameplay and the thrill you get from playing it is ALL that matters.

These topics are somewhat like a person coming over for cards with the guys and complaining that the cards have food stains on the edges. This person will most likely be responded to with a chorus of, "Oh shut up and play the damn game."

Shut up and play the damn games.

Dr_Cogent said:
Same problems existed on the Xbox. Splinter Cell: CT had that problem for me.

There are games on every system that have tearing, but not very many. On the 360, it's really widespread. 6/6 for me. I heard EA's sports games had it pretty bad, too. Were there ANY launch games that don't have tearing? Actually, are there any at all so far that don't?

FinFan

logs in to GAF.....

Sees 60fps thread....

Checks calender....

Yep it's Friday...

That train's never late! :lol

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Leondexter said:
There are games on every system that have tearing, but not very many. On the 360, it's really widespread. 6/6 for me. I heard EA's sports games had it pretty bad, too. Were there ANY launch games that don't have tearing? Actually, are there any at all so far that don't?

I've never seen it on my 360 personally.

And I wasn't suggesting that the problem was exclusive to only the Xbox either and not the other consoles.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jedimike said:
If you really don't notice a large difference and/or it doesn't bother you...you might consider yourself lucky then. That's not the case with me, however. 60 fps makes a world of difference. It simply looks and feels so much better. It adds quite a bit to my experience. A solid 30 fps I can deal with, but 60 feels much better.

As this is a thread regarding the 360, I should also note that most of the 360 titles I own and have played do NOT in fact run at a constant framerate. Outside of the 60 fps RR6, you have only PGR3 with a constant framerate. The other 5 games tear, slowdown, and generally feel unstable throughout play.

Call of Duty 2 is one of the better ones, but I was disappointed when people labeled it as a 60 fps game when it constantly drops the second any sort of serious action shows up. Very disappointing. At least it's playable, unlike PD0, which was choppy to the point (in some levels) that I simply quit playing.

Last Hope

NFSMW does but it has a lot of frame rate issues. (60fps-20fps)
COD2 (60-40)
RR6 solid 60fps
DOA4 solid 60fps
THWL solid enough.

Those are the ones I have played that are 60fps.

And PGR3 looks terrible and nothing like 60fps despite their "tricks." The biggest disappointment as far as launch 360 games go. But I was expecting PDZ to suck so this was not the biggest disappointment for me.

And yes I am a frame rate whore. The difference between 60fps and 30fps is night and day to me. Some people don't seem to notice it though. I have been playing PC games for so long that I have become really sensitive to frame rates.

jedimike said:
A smooth 30 frames per second to 60 may may a small impact on the gameplay, but what kind of gameplay difference is made by having an object made of twice as many polygons?

30 or 60 it doesn't really matter to me (unless its a racer/fighter) as long as its smooth, NO SCREEN TEARING (I can't stress this enough). Oh and for fuck sakes where's AF on X360? There's no excuse for the omission of this.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
jedimike said:

lol.. it's important business at gaf.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who cannot stand screen tearing. I didn't notice it in RR6 but I didn't play that all that much. Madden and PD0 have it in a very bad way.

Shompola

Banned
Pedigree Chum said:
30 or 60 it doesn't really matter to me (unless its a racer/fighter) as long as its smooth, NO SCREEN TEARING (I can't stress this enough). Oh and for fuck sakes where's AF on X360? There's no excuse for the omission of this.

Yep agreed. Tearing and lack of AF are by far WORSE than a steady 30fps... People can argue about that AF should be mandatory in every game that uses bi/triliniar filtering, and I would definitely agree with that.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
We haven't exactly been greeted with mindblowing visuals in the next gen 30fps games on store shelves. Heck, many next gen titles thus far fail to meet graphical expectations even at the lower framerate.

So, instead of demanding better results from developers, some choose to simply lower their expectations?

4 years and $400 should yield a much better result.

snatches

JoshuaJSlone said:
A smooth 30 frames per second to 60 may may a small impact on the gameplay, but what kind of gameplay difference is made by having an object made of twice as many polygons?

I feel really sorry for you guys that include this in your list of dealbreakers for games. PGR3 is the most impressive XB360 launch title and is an absolute killer piece of software. It stands out as the game that is surely a generational leap from its predecessors in the visuals department more than any other game.

Personally I am happy that these guys pushed the envelope so far and the only thing they didn't deliver on is the 60fps. Would you have preferred that every dev had used their minimal time with final dev kits to CRAP OUT SHIT LIKE GUN AND THAW?? Just cuz they're 60fps? These are launch titles. Give it a break.

I'd like to know how you can tell the difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS. Because when I go from playing Resident Evil 4, to playing Metroid Prime 2, I see no difference.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Ganondorf>Link said:
I'd like to know how you can tell the difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS. Because when I go from playing Resident Evil 4, to playing Metroid Prime 2, I see no difference.

play forza and GT4 back to back, youll see the difference.

Top Bottom