• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 Guys 1UP 3/13/10 - David Ellis' last show

Igo

Ninja Scooter said:
I think it boils down to the difference being that Shawn talked about things that were interesting. N'Gai definately seems like a smart dude, but a lot of his insights don't seem to fit in with the rest of the podcasts and aren't very engaging to me.

I disagree. Shawn and N'Gai have spoken on similar subjects and if i'm remembered correctly shared similar views. Journalistic integrity, developer decisions concerning race, and how narrative is delivered are all subjects both have covered extensively, often together. The major difference being that we've yet to hear any crazy childhood stories or wacky 2nd Life escapades from N'Gai to give his podcast persona another dimension. I'm fine with this.

The argument against N'Gai used to be that he always talks about narrative and now it's race. I believe that some people made their mind up about him long ago and will jump at the chance to make their hatred known without really listening to what he has to say.

FStop7

Banned
It's like it became a completely different show at the final 30 minute mark... awesome and also sad, since it's the last one.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
With N'Gai, I'm sure it's because most gamers - those on the podcast included - don't want to listen to talks about race or gender.

It's almost like everyone immediately disengaged the moment he decided to talk about that panel.

LiK

FUCK, finally listening to it. Old school 1Up Yours crew was awesome. Thanks David, great last ep. Have fun at your new gig.

FStop7

Banned
I appreciate N'Gai's insights on race and gender in games. What I don't necessarily enjoy is the slow pace at which he makes his points because it doesn't work in a podcast format. And the whole 'consulting' thing rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Without resorting to Dave Chappelle or Chris Rock's type of discourse, it's very hard to have a cogent discussion of race without being fairly deliberate - especially when the immediate response to a discussion of race in games is someone saying "They're just games! Who cares!?".

You can't really have a conversation if the other person isn't willing to even entertain the topic.

Igo said:
The major difference being that we've yet to hear any crazy childhood stories or wacky 2nd Life escapades from N'Gai to give his podcast persona another dimension. I'm fine with this.
I remember N'Gai mentioned something about getting into a fight with another kid over his mom's cooking.

Thanks for the Omega Final Podcast, David Ellis. You didn't disappoint, in fact, you outright blew down the doors in my demand that it be the series finale that MGS4 wanted to be. Godspeed.

I'm not sure why a podcast has to be fast-paced all the time. That is completely a matter of preference; same with what topics are "worth" discussing on a podcast. Aside from that, I don't recall Chris Tilton's Uncharted/music discussion being all that fast-paced (same with much of the podcast, aside from the last 40 mintues or so.)

Firestorm

Loved this podcast. So much. There had better be an awesome, long, reunion podcast at PAX Prime. Cut down the question period and spend more time talking this time.

Nakazato

Firestorm said:
Loved this podcast. So much. There had better be an awesome, long, reunion podcast at PAX Prime. Cut down the question period and spend more time talking this time.
this Mangod, Luke, Garrett ,and John make it happen

Lard

Banned
Igo said:
The argument against N'Gai used to be that he always talks about narrative and now it's race. I believe that some people made their mind up about him long ago and will jump at the chance to make their hatred known without really listening to what he has to say.

The man is an attention whore.

louis89

There really is no other podcast out there that can compare to 1up Yours (and GFW Radio) in their glory days.

Ataturk

Shane's fanboy moment was hilarious. :lol Never change.

Thanks Garnett for steering it back towards games at the end, that was the best part. Looking forward to his new podcast.

Nizz

Finally managed to listen to the show today. I'm gonna beat a dead horse, but it was damn fun to listen to all the guys together again. So many memories of the good times at 1up. At its peak, there really was no other podcast imo that could touch 1up Yours.

Even though sometimes he was kind of out there with his opinions, I realize that I really miss Shane on podcasts. Was cool having someone fight the good fight for Sony at a time when everyone was down on it. :D Skip plugging his show on G4 was also hilarious (going to have to check it out). :lol

Would be nice when eventually, maybe a year from now, I'm listening to all the old 1up heads together again at GDC. Will be just like old times. Can't wait to hear Garnett confirming weekends again.

But I think having said all this, I just don't feel compelled to listen to anything else from 1up anymore. Listening to this last show really feels like the end of an era. Was fun while it lasted. :(

firehawk12 said:
Without resorting to Dave Chappelle or Chris Rock's type of discourse, it's very hard to have a cogent discussion of race without being fairly deliberate - especially when the immediate response to a discussion of race in games is someone saying "They're just games! Who cares!?".

You can't really have a conversation if the other person isn't willing to even entertain the topic.
a few things:

you can't have a genuinely interesting or worthwhile discussion on race if you refuse to acknowledge that race exists. any time the enthusiast game press decide to "tackle" the issue of race the ensuing conversation has the impact of a feather landing on a puddle. you cannot be color-blind in a discussion of color.

david ellis' remarks about how sports games are probably not the best genre for the discussion of race because they (paraphrased) "don't have a narrative" is tip-toeing around the 4000lb. elephant in the room. sports games more so than any genre contain a higher variety of races. this isn't opinion, its empirical. so while their exclusion from a discussion about race is valid, the reasons for him feeling that way represent his inability to really cut to the heart of things. as if saying "a lot of people who play professional sports are black" is going to get him plastered across every blog and website for being 'racist'.

secondly, n'gai speaks with such a degree of myopia and self-awareness its borderline parody. not only are his OPINIONS based on a total disconnect with the rest of the gaming world, but he is incapable of stating them eloquently or with any kind of emphasis.

the discussion of the existence of racism in games implies that games, taken at value as pieces of artistic entertainment, are responsible for accurately reflecting the world from which they come from. as if they are to be the paragons of an idealized war society where hate and bigotry and misogyny do not exist (but wanton violence is fine just so long as you toss some black and hispanic folks in there). this is ridiculous and conceptually related to censorship; a dictation to game makers what is and is not acceptable in the creation of their art.

Flavius

Rabbitwork said:
a few things:

you can't have a genuinely interesting or worthwhile discussion on race if you refuse to acknowledge that race exists. any time the enthusiast game press decide to "tackle" the issue of race the ensuing conversation has the impact of a feather landing on a puddle. you cannot be color-blind in a discussion of color.

david ellis' remarks about how sports games are probably not the best genre for the discussion of race because they (paraphrased) "don't have a narrative" is tip-toeing around the 4000lb. elephant in the room. sports games more so than any genre contain a higher variety of races. this isn't opinion, its empirical. so while their exclusion from a discussion about race is valid, the reasons for him feeling that way represent his inability to really cut to the heart of things. as if saying "a lot of people who play professional sports are black" is going to get him plastered across every blog and website for being 'racist'.

secondly, n'gai speaks with such a degree of myopia and self-awareness its borderline parody. not only are his OPINIONS based on a total disconnect with the rest of the gaming world, but he is incapable of stating them eloquently or with any kind of emphasis.

the discussion of the existence of racism in games implies that games, taken at value as pieces of artistic entertainment, are responsible for accurately reflecting the world from which they come from. as if they are to be the paragons of an idealized war society where hate and bigotry and misogyny do not exist (but wanton violence is fine just so long as you toss some black and hispanic folks in there). this is ridiculous and conceptually related to censorship; a dictation to game makers what is and is not acceptable in the creation of their art.

The fuck are you going on about? :lol

Your words are like trees, and you're fucking lost in the forest.

Shuusui

After listening to the show, I realised that I was enjoying the show much more because Shane, John, Mark, N'Gai and Garnet Lee were on it... not David. I'll miss him as an antagonist though, and wish him well in his endeavors.

All I have now is Giant Bomb... =(

Chris Tilton said:
I uploaded video I took during Big Fun's final 4G1up podcast. Thought some of you might be interested. There's some pre/inbetween/post show stuff throughout as well. I didn't realize I had shot so much footage (nearly an hour), but it was nice to watch it again, having not heard it since I was on the show itself.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=06C91FD1F4377D8B
Thanks for uploading really appreciate it!

Seeing Mark mc D on the podcast this comes to mind WHERE IS MY JAPAN PODCAST MARK come on you said that you ordered the stuff to make it happen where is it coming from the Moon? :lol :lol
LOVE you mark plz make it happen soon!

Top Bottom