• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 Guys 1UP 3/13/10 - David Ellis' last show

voltron

EXGN said:
LMAO, David's dig @ Leigh Alexander. Cold stuff man :p

lol yeah I thought the same. Everyone sorta ignored him too.

Although we couldn't see their reactions of course. Might have been a lot of laughing with the eyes.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
DidntKnowJack said:
Thank you Garnett Lee for bringing a little life and FUN into this week's podcast. No offense to David, but it was starting to all end on a sour note, and Garnett had to twist his arm just to talk about games. That's why I was never a big fan of 4G1U, no "What 'cha been playin" segment, which was always the thing I looked forward to hearing on 1UY. I can understand David wanting to do something different on his own damn show, but it wasn't as fun to listen to. And this week's show was a perfect example. Once they started talking about games, it became fun again.

I agree. The show lost a vast majority of it's life when Garnett left. It went from being my favorite podcast to being one of my last choices that I still like enough to download.

I kind of hope the podcast just dies now. I don't see any reason for it to continue at this point.

Suzzopher

I'd like to see T-Frog take over the main podcast for 1up. He could still contribute to Retronauts and ATB but move hosting/research to Ray/Kat. Would be great to have Chris Kohler on as a regular too.

EXGN

Suzzopher said:
I'd like to see T-Frog take over the main podcast for 1up. He could still contribute to Retronauts and ATB but move hosting/research to Ray/Kat. Would be great to have Chris Kohler on as a regular too.

This. I need more Kobun Heat!

Just listened to this on a long drive, great listening :)

Hilarious about how they admitted making up the Quarterman rumours. Not enough John though :(

Igo

Damn the last 40 minutes or whatever after Garnett's more games moment were fun. That felt like classic 1upYours with the screaming over each other and all. The podcast has been lacking that energy for a long time. GL to David.

Flavius

Monty Mole said:
Just listened to this on a long drive, great listening :)

Hilarious about how they admitted making up the Quarterman rumours. Not enough John though :(

That's interesting, and would contradict something Shane said about Quartermann back on 1up Yours...not that I necessarily care. ;)

Finished listening to the podcast about 10 minutes ago and I have to say that it was one of the best episodes of a podcast that I've listened to in a while. There's just so much chemistry and fun banter between the 1up Yours alumni. Hopefully they will get together for a podcast every once in a while.

Akia

Flavius said:
That's interesting, and would contradict something Shane said about Quartermann back on 1up Yours...not that I necessarily care. ;)

They probably had legit tips for some rumors but when you have to come up with 4 new rumors every month I can see why they would just make some up to meet their quota.

Mindlog

I can't believe that Garnett actually had a bobblehead moment over an Edge score. His lowest point ever in podcasting. Drink the shame away sir!

On the flip side, nice job making sure the podcast continued into a proper ending.

I hope we get to hear what 343 has been up to sometime soon (2012).

Akia

Mindlog said:
I can't believe that Garnett actually had a bobblehead moment over an Edge score. His lowest point ever in podcasting. Drink the shame away sir!

I'll make some excuses up for Garnett:

A. Most importantly he was drunk
B. He did back away from the statement towards the end
C. We all know he's an EDGE fanboy
D. It seems like he recently completed the game was still on a high

novery

So who is up to the challenge of creating the "Stuff Shane Was Wrong About" audio compilation?

Like Mark said, we've all been wrong about stuff, but Shane made some crazy, bold claims that I desperately want to hear again.

Come on Internet! Get on it!

Flavius

Akia said:
They probably had legit tips for some rumors but when you have to come up with 4 new rumors every month I can see why they would just make some up to meet their quota.

Four whole rumors?? Every month???

Cheez whiz...

:lol

Mar

Great show, was good to listen to these guys again. As I mentioned before I haven't listened to a 1up podcast since the last 1up Yours.

It's interesting seeing how different this type of cast is to everything else I listen to now. Before I didn't really realise it as I had been listening to 1up Yours since day 1. But now it's quite obvious why this podcast is so different from everything else out there and why discussions around it can be so heated. While on other podcasts they can have differing views on things and argue points, the people generally agree on most things and are happy to move on quickly. Yet here they can become embroiled in the smallest detail and argue the point for 15 minutes.

For instance, The Bombcast's thoughts on Mirror's Edge is universal. Even though I love the game and they hate it, I never feel compelled to respond to anything they say because they usually just do a quick "it sucks, next" and everyone is happy with that. Whereas 1up Yours would have an argument, and quite a heated one, for 15 minutes generally never leading anywhere. Compelling the listener to jump in as well.

Yopis said:
I dont mind Ngai being on he has a good view on things somtimes.Don't know why this guy generates so much hate.

People don't like to feel stupid.

But to be fair, I don't think he's a good mix for this particular lineup of people. It's a complete turnaround compared to the quick fire remarks made by everyone else and yes, he does slow down the pace.

Akia

N'Gai's take on the what color is your hero presentation was very much welcomed. I really loved the whole "how much money are we leaving on the table" bit. I'm not Bobby Kotick but after that point he really had my attention.

Mar said:
For instance, The Bombcast's thoughts on Mirror's Edge is universal. Even though I love the game and they hate it, I never feel compelled to respond to anything they say because they usually just do a quick "it sucks, next" and everyone is happy with that. Whereas 1up Yours would have an argument, and quite a heated one, for 15 minutes generally never leading anywhere. Compelling the listener to jump in as well.
Yeah I completely agree with this, and no offense to the Bombcast but when they do talk about the games they have been playing it's never as interesting as 1up yours was. It kind of feels like the bombcast guys are all too close to argue with eachother about their differing opinions on games (they will just accept it and move on) whereas the 1up yours crew were more like frenemies in the sense while they did genuinely enjoy being in the same room talking about games, at the same time they all had knives at eachother throats waiting for someone to disagree with their opinion, and it made for an extremely interesting podcast.

So many thanks to Garnett for getting the videogame banter started, lets hope he does it just as well on weekend confirmed.

Akia said:
N'Gai's take on the what color is your hero presentation was very much welcomed. I really loved the whole "how much money are we leaving on the table" bit. I'm not Bobby Kotick but after that point he really had my attention.

I don't want to sound ignorant but these kinds of issues in gaming go completely over my head, am I playing as a black dude or a white dude... I really don't care, I'm sure as hell not playing as an Australian (and if I was they would probably just make a mockery of the accent). I will say though when I'm given the opportunity to create a character most of the time I make a black guy, lets face it, they're cooler than white people.

Nert

That was a great finale. I'm glad that Garnett was there to push for some games talk at the end; like other people in this thread have mentioned, the energy level spiked way back up and the back and forth became more heated and entertaining.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Parish is going to do with the podcast, as I've loved all of his work from Retronauts and Active Time Babble, and things like portable games, platformers, retro games, rpgs, and Japanese games in general are a bit overlooked at the moment on the "flagship" podcasts. Even if the new form of the show continues to have a broader perspective that focuses on following the latest "big" releases, I can see him putting a different spin on the "four guys talking about games in a room" formula.

Mar said:
But to be fair, I don't think he's a good mix for this particular lineup of people. It's a complete turnaround compared to the quick fire remarks made by everyone else and yes, he does slow down the pace.

I completely agree, N'Gai's personality doesn't mix into the banter that was 1UY. But I enjoy his discussion on OOTG (when will there be a new episode?), and while I don't always agree with him, his points are well articulated and usually make me pause and think about what he's saying.

He fits into OOTG but not 1UY.

chogidogs

Dr Bad Dude PHD said:
Yeah I completely agree with this, and no offense to the Bombcast but when they do talk about the games they have been playing it's never as interesting as 1up yours was. It kind of feels like the bombcast guys are all too close to argue with eachother about their differing opinions on games (they will just accept it and move on) whereas the 1up yours crew were more like frenemies in the sense while they did genuinely enjoy being in the same room talking about games, at the same time they all had knives at eachother throats waiting for someone to disagree with their opinion, and it made for an extremely interesting podcast.

There was actually a reader mail at one of the Bombcasts addressing this. Jeff basically mentioned that each of them know where the rest is coming from, so they seldom have heated arguments like they do at 1up yours.

It still does happen though, up the top of my head, Vinny versus Brad on Flower was very notable. More arguments during their GOTY podcasts also.

Mar

Dr Bad Dude PHD said:

I disagree 1UY was more interesting. I like them both for different reasons. However, having been reminded of what the old 1UY was like with this new 4G1U, I think I prefer the Bombcasts way of dealing with things. It keeps it focused and moving forward.

Empty

Podcast definitely reminded me how hilarious it could get back in the day when they were riffing off eachother, i burst out laughing too when Shane dropped the 'ps3 was supply constrained' line, and when Mark callled out Shane's love of Resistance.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Empty said:
Podcast definitely reminded me how hilarious it could get back in the day when they were riffing off eachother, i burst out laughing too when Shane dropped the 'ps3 was supply constrained' line, and when Mark callled out Shane's love of Resistance.

Am I missing something on the PS3 thing? The console IS still having supply problems. Same with the Wii as well. So..besides just busting on Shane being a fanboy, do they not believe what he was saying? Because it's true that the system is having problems getting back on the shelves.

mujun

Kintaro said:
Am I missing something on the PS3 thing? The console IS still having supply problems. Same with the Wii as well. So..besides just busting on Shane being a fanboy, do they not believe what he was saying? Because it's true that the system is having problems getting back on the shelves.

I took it that they were giving him shit for exaggerating the scale of the shortage, you know, typical Shane spin.

Empty

Kintaro said:

I don't even follow sales-age, so i have no idea whether it was a legitimate point, it was the way Shane said it and the context that made me, and presumably them, laugh.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
mujun said:
I took it that they were giving him shit for exaggerating the scale of the shortage, you know, typical Shane spin.

Ah. I don't know of the scale, but since the end of december, I've gotten about 18 total new PS3s. Gamestop resorted to pre-order/reservations for the systems (PS3/Wiis) which I've never seen after a system was released. It's been weird.

<shrugs>

I love that Shane puts himself out there with those bold statements. It always made the shows better. A compilation of them wouldn't be worthwhile though I think. They should remain in the ether.

see5harp

Thank God for Garnett Lee in this episode to keep things going towards the end with all of the regulars in full force. I really miss 1up Yours and will gladly subscribe to Garnett's future podcast. N'gai haters are plebs.

mujun

NeoUltima said:
Facepalm at laughs at Shane for saying ps3 supply constrained.

Totally, people need to realize that Shane is only exaggerating to drive home exactly how serious the situation is.

VeRKK

Neo Member
1up is now officialy dead to me, besides the oddcast (and i only listen to that for tina and sam) they have no one that can be what 1up was for me regarding podcasts, sure.. we will all listen and enjoy the ones that john and garnett podcasts will do, but its sad that two years ago i didnt even know what 1up is, and now its over for me.. i guess ill go back to the other 45 podcasts i listen to.

JWong

Banned
Final Fantasy 13 discussion hit. :lol :lol

I like Shane but I disagree with him. I don't like FFXIII and I played the FF games.

Edit: Best part of the show was definitely the games discussion. Awesome fights.

probune

Holy shit I'm glad I clicked on this and saw the lineup. I haven't been into the 1up podcasts since the UGO thing but that lineup is amazing.

CRS

Started listening to 1UY around early 2008, did I miss anything important the previous years? Basically, should I start from the very beginning or at a certain point?

Flavius

Foliorum Viridum said:
Luke's first podcast. The stuff before that is okay, but not really worth going back to retrospectively.

I wouldn't even say the first ones with Luke on them. He was still coming out of his shell, and the podcasts were a bit too short to really get the good discussions/debates going. A couple months in, though? Those podcasts still hold up pretty well.

C-Jo

Was definitely nice to hear (most) of the classic crew on again. I haven't really listened much since Garnett left, and I forgot how much I missed the drunken, heated arguments.

Anyway, best of luck to David Ellis in his new position.

Top Bottom