• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed Pax Live Show - Featuring Luke Andrew Shane John Billy & Jeff Green

wc_topnews_new_17113.nphd.jpg

Weekend Confirmed took the stage in the Unicorn Theater for this special PAX 2011 show. Recorded in front of an awesome crowd, a whole host of distinguished guests joined Xav, Jeff, and Garnett including Andrew Pfister, John Davison, Shane Bettenhausen, Billy Berghammer, Jeff Green, and Luke Smith. They shared their takes on some of the best games around the show including favorites from the PAX 10 indies in a custom Whatcha Been Playin, at PAX, and then answered some questions from the audience for a live version of the Warning.

iTunes
Zune
RSS
GameFlap
Direct Download

krae_man

You guys need to book a two hour slot in the future. One hour just goes by way too fast. Especially with the larger number of people on the podcast. Show was awesome though.

DSCN2407.jpg

Been stoked for this for a week, but a bit disappointed to hear it's only one hour. Better than nothing though! Garnett/Shane/John/Luke/Skip reunited!

Goldmund

Disappointing show. Little more than people with diverse and interesting opinions -- opinions they'd otherwise be able to eloquently articulate -- saying "fuck 3D" in all the variations an audience's lust for cheap recognition will tolerate. I could feel the pig being there. I was surprised to not hear any grunting from the audience.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Never a fan of these reunion shows. If they're gonna do the 1UP Yours nostalgia thing, I much prefer when they have 1 guy, like Shane on the show in the studio, instead of having it be one big clusterfuck in front of a screaming audience. Can't wait for next week to be back to the regular formula. Garnett, Xav, and Jeff are so awesome together.

voltron

Yeah the audience shows are always a bit of a let down. Still awesome though. They just dont translate as well when listening to the recording.

Suzzopher

That was a limp show. Garnett and Xav were enthusiastic but the rest just didn't seem interested. Shame I was really looking forward to this all week.

StuBurns

Banned
Awful show. Luke, Shane, John and Jeff might as well have not bothered turning up at all.

And there are no portals in Swift's new game as far as I know.

Shurs

Goldmund said:
Disappointing show. Little more than people with diverse and interesting opinions -- opinions they'd otherwise be able to eloquently articulate -- saying "fuck 3D" in all the variations an audience's lust for cheap recognition will tolerate. I could feel the pig being there. I was surprised to not hear any grunting from the audience.

This pretty much encapsulates my feelings on live shows, as well.

Goldmund said:

+1

Goldmund

Whatever happened to people calling me the worst in Weekend Confirmed threads? Don't start agreeing with me now!

Goldmund said:
Whatever happened to people calling me the worst in Weekend Confirmed threads? Don't start agreeing with me now!

You're the worst.

Still...

Goldmund said:

+1

It was basically... a bunch of nothing. Nothing there.

Too bad, cuz the line-up was very good. Where people tired or something? Or microphone shy? No controversy, no disagreement, no predictions.

The worst question was the question about whether gaming journalists approach games differently when they play them for fun as opposed to work. Who cares? If you have all these people together, make them talk about the future of the industry, or about underappreciated gems, or get juicy details on this company or that game.

Goldmund

perryfarrell (emphasis mine) said:
It was basically... a bunch of nothing. Nothing there.

Too bad, cuz the line-up was very good. Where people tired or something? Or microphone shy? No controversy, no disagreement, no predictions.

The worst question was the question about whether gaming journalists approach games differently when they play them for fun as opposed to work. Who cares? If you have all these people together, make them talk about the future of the industry, or about underappreciated gems, or get juicy details on this company or that game.
They did mention Word Fighter.

Flavius

Haven't listened yet, but agree with the sentiment expressed here. If you're going to bring in the Hall of Fame team (which this line-up absolutely is, minus a Mark MacDonald), then much better to do it like the final 1UY episode, back in the studio, and for as long as everyone is feeling it.

Unrealistic expectations? Fuck yeah...I'm a fan!!!

Goldmund said:
They did mention Word Fighter.

And they DID mention Meridian 59.

For some of the people there...it sounded like they really didn't want to be there and they really didn't give a fuck.

So...why be there?

angelfly

Just finished listening and as people already mentioned it was just a bad episode. I really wanted to hear Garnett talk about Quantum Conundrum some more but it was ruined by constant "it's portal it's portal lolz".

Paches

Almost all live show podcasts are pretty bad, and this one was right there with them. I am a big time fan of you guys, but this one fell right in to the category of bad live show. Most of the panelists there didn't seem interested at all and it was painful to listen to Garnett try and squeeze an answer out of someone. If you can skip this episode, do so, because you aren't missing anything.

Duffyside

Banned
I should be doing backflips about a lineup like this, but the last few 1up Yours reunions have been total letdowns. Then I looked at the time... less than an hour. All of sudden a ton of guests is actually a bad thing. I haven't even listened to this show yet, and I'm not sure if I'm going to. Live shows often suck.

Goldmund

bigdaddygamebot said:
And they DID mention Meridian 59.

For some of the people there...it sounded like they really didn't want to be there and they really didn't give a fuck.

So...why be there?
I give you that. I'm sorry. The love expressed by select gaming journalists for this cheap Bookworm Adventure knock-off rubs me the wrong way. I have to take shots whenever I can. I'm a bad person.

DaBuddaDa

Paches-EJ- said:
Almost all live show podcasts are pretty bad, and this one was right there with them. I am a big time fan of you guys, but this one fell right in to the category of bad live show. Most of the panelists there didn't seem interested at all and it was painful to listen to Garnett try and squeeze an answer out of someone. If you can skip this episode, do so, because you aren't missing anything.
Sadly I also came out of it thinking the same thing. It sounded like everyone there was nervous or awkward or something. Nobody wanted to really put forward any effort in the discussion other than a couple people.

Aaron

Paches-EJ- said:
I haven't listened to this yet, but the Tested live show was AMAZING.

Bastion

Very disappointing show. There were just too many people included to really let anyone say anything of interest especially with the fact that it was under an hour in length.

I really think podcasts are best with three or four people so everyone has plenty of time to share their thoughts and opinions.

Another thing I really notice is that any game journalist that as gone on to work for a game company rarely has much of anything of interest to say. Shane is a good example. He was my favorite podcaster back in the day, but am usually disappointed when he is on a podcast now.

DaBuddaDa

To give an analogy, this recording sounded more like an awkward high school reunion rather than a bunch of friends getting together again.

Goldmund

DaBuddaDa said:
To give an analogy, this recording sounded more like an awkward high school reunion rather than a bunch of friends getting together again.
Can you work a car into this?

Neuromancer said:
Is this THE Weekend Confirmed for the weekend (no normal, studio recorded show)?
Yes. Enjoy!

reunion show needs a different setting if they ever do it again, im fine with weekend confirmed doing a panel at pax with the normal lineup

but if your btinging in the podcasting giants (Luke, Shane, John, Jeff) it should be them + Garnett in a podcast studio for 2+ hours talking about games and industry news, otherwise why even bother having them there?

I know pax or e3 are the best chances to get them together at the same time, but still think they can make it happen

StuBurns

Banned
T-Matt said:
I don't understand 3d getting such hatred all the time. Luke is awesome.
It's just a mindless audience that would cheer to anything shouted in a way that encouraged them like Pavlovian conditioned morons. If he'd have said, "I've been playing 3DS and it's awesome, 3D IS AWESOME", they'd have shouted exactly the same way.

Sorry to pile on, Garnett, but yeah - disappointing show. It was too short for a venue for that many guests. And nobody seemed to want to say very much. Though Luke did get in a pretty good quip at one point. (Though the actual comment escapes me at the moment.)

angelfly

DidntKnowJack said:
Sorry to pile on, Garnett, but yeah - disappointing show. It was too short for a venue for that many guests. And nobody seemed to want to say very much. Though Luke did get in a pretty good quip at one point. (Though the actual comment escapes me at the moment.)
The hooker that won't kiss you on the lips?

Osietra

Banned
Weird panel.
Maybe it was performance anxiety or something?
Anyway I think that Zav has really become a better member of the WC crew now that he's dropped the weird Shacknews bot persona.
When he perma'd in the early days he seemed to have no voice, it was shacknews naddadda, but now he's found a counter-Pontiac (2nsonetefil4zzagin) the dynamic seems to really work.
And they seem to be more off the cuff compared to Giantbomb.

DidntKnowJack said:

I found that Luke derailed the the thing, even contributing as little as he did. : /

The hooker and kissing comment was Cannata (I think). He brought his A game. :) In fact Cannata was probably on two (maybe more) podcasts and he was able to contribute.

mik

mik is unbeatable
lol @ Del Rio's new closing song...

"show you that I love you
show you that I care
show you that I listen
show you that I'm hair"

Top Bottom