• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed Ep. 77 | 09/09/2011 | +Andrea Rene and Jeff Mattas

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
DaBuddaDa said:
Well, both are in the top 1% in all of gaming.

Not even close. Resistance's marketing is second tier (or even third tier) compared to Uncharted.

Jburton

Banned
I think I will stop listening to this podcast for awhile!

Giantbomb and 8-4 play only for the foreseeable future.

I think this podcast needs a rethink.

The stupid song parts ...are stupid, and I do not like that Andrea person.

Not because she is a woman, but as person on what is a radio show she is not interesting.

Goldmund

Ozzykamikaze said:
So why is it not okay to criticize Rene but it's cool to bash Del Rio?

Every time a WC starts and she gets introduced, I just let out a sigh of disappointment. I've tried to learn to like it, but I can't. I'm not even convinced she spends more than a few minutes a month playing games.
Ever wondered why people fall in love? Man can worship his most sophisticated ideal in its least successful realizations. It's a curious faculty.

shira

Jburton said:

Not because she is a woman, but as person on what is a radio show she is not interesting.
I actually like her radio personality, but I can't deal with the size of her forehead. win-win

megamerican

Jburton said:

Yeah, I fell out of listening a few weeks ago. I keep track of the threads just in case an episode sounds good, but most of the feedback is pretty negative so I stay away.

It's such a shame because the show has some incredible highs when they land a good guest. It was pretty sad to hear that the PAX panel was so bad. As a fan of 1up Yours half a decade ago, I couldn't believe that I would skip such a show.

I don't really think they are interested in changing the show despite pretty much unanimous feedback about the music breaks and unpopular guests.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
It's bizarre to me how R2 got 9's and 10's everywhere then a month later everyone Just talks about how much it sucks.

Personally I loved it for the unique class-based co op mode and of course that's what they gutted for R3 so I have no interest.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Ozzykamikaze said:
So why is it not okay to criticize Rene but it's cool to bash Del Rio?

Every time a WC starts and she gets introduced, I just let out a sigh of disappointment. I've tried to learn to like it, but I can't. I'm not even convinced she spends more than a few minutes a month playing games.

Because I'm a dick. But also because I said specifically what I don't like about Del Rio. The post I was initially complaining about just took a pot shot at Andrea without any reasons given. I'm certainly not against legitimate criticisms of the podcast and its members but I feel it's unnecessary to post just to insult someone without offering anything constructive. I don't consider it "bashing" Del Rio to say that not every remix is good and they should sometimes not have one. Any musician is well aware that not everything they create is worth sharing. And as for his vocals, I honestly don't think they sound very good in contrast with the music behind them. I think he's a better producer than rapper, is what I'm saying.

Curufinwe

DaBuddaDa said:
Well, both are in the top 1% in all of gaming.

Nope. Only one of them got a TV ad during the opening match of the 2011 NFL season. And it was the game that was still almost three months from release, not the one that came out that very week.

DaBuddaDa

Curufinwe said:
Nope. Only one of them got a TV ad during the opening game of the 2011 NFL season. The game that was still almost three months from release, not the one that came out that very week.
Yep. Uncharted 3 being in the top .001% doesn't exclude Resistance 3 from the top 1% of gaming's most marketed titles. For every Resistance 3, there are 100 games that do not have as big of a marketing budget, easily. I really don't understand why you choose to argue something that is tangental and borderline irrelevant to the point anyway.

Curufinwe

DaBuddaDa said:
Yep. Uncharted 3 being in the top .001% doesn't exclude Resistance 3 from the top 1% of gaming's most marketed titles. For every Resistance 3, there are 100 games that do not have as big of a marketing budget, easily. I really don't understand why you choose to argue something that is tangental and borderline irrelevant to the point anyway.

I'm not sure why you're arguing that Resistance 3 has marketing budget anywhere close to Uncharted 3's because it doesn't. That one TV ad for Uncharted 3 probably cost Sony a large percentage of their total marketing spend on Resistance 3 for which I have seen far less ads than I did for Infamous 2 earlier this year.

As Kintaro said, it's on a different tier.

Mrbob

Here I'm thinking this is just another bashing of Del Rio music, but then I heard his brilliance on the podcast.

"I'm getting white boy wasted!"

"I can't explain what we do what we do but when we get drunk we gotta go whoooo!"

White boy wasted needs to be added into the drinking game somehow. Please GAF don't let this slip by.

I think I might be with you guys, I havent really found any episodes interesting in the last few months, I think the how needs a line up and format change

GodfatherX said:
I think I might be with you guys, I havent really found any episodes interesting in the last few months, I think the how needs a line up and format change
I've always thought news should come first because that's what I (and I suspect many others) most want to hear them discuss. Currently the news section always feels rushed because it's at the tail end of the show when time's running out.

On a personal note I would like Garnett, Jeff and Christian as the core 3. Nothing against Xav, I just find those guys the most entertaining and have the best rapport with one another. I guess maybe Christian couldn't do it every week though.

Osietra

Banned
Goldmund said:
Ever wondered why people fall in love? Man can worship his most sophisticated ideal in its least successful realizations. It's a curious faculty.
Hey guys, it's Goldmund!

Moofers

Lots of hate for WC in here this week. I gotta say, I don't think the show has really been all that different lately. Its a pretty consistent show. Aside from Andrea being annoying and coming off fake, and Del Rio's mystifying inclusion in the show, I don't know what has people up in arms. Those two aren't on each week.

I have to say though, I'm pleased to finally see people ripping into the Del Rio songs. Garnett has put some cool stuff in the show from time to time ("Wake Up" The Morgan Page Remix for example) but Del Rio's stuff has always been terrible. For the longest time I honestly just assumed it was in there for the sake of ironic humor or something, but I'm finally starting to realize that some people take his music seriously. That bums me out, man.

Seriously, those songs are fuckin awful.

Mrbob

Neuromancer said:
I've always thought news should come first because that's what I (and I suspect many others) most want to hear them discuss. Currently the news section always feels rushed because it's at the tail end of the show when time's running out.

On a personal note I would like Garnett, Jeff and Christian as the core 3. Nothing against Xav, I just find those guys the most entertaining and have the best rapport with one another. I guess maybe Christian couldn't do it every week though.

I'm glad you don't make those decisions because I enjoy listening to Xav on the podcast. :p

Anyone else think Indie Jeff sounds like Billy? I don't know if I could tell them apart if they were on the same podcast!

DaBuddaDa

Curufinwe said:
I'm not sure why you're arguing that Resistance 3 has marketing budget anywhere close to Uncharted 3's because it doesn't.
I wasn't, I said they both had "massive" marketing budgets, which is true. Yes, one happens to be more massive than the other.

Moofers said:
Del Rio's mystifying inclusion
He produces the show; he's not going anywhere.

Also, you can't stop his shine.

Mrbob said:
I'm glad you don't make those decisions because I enjoy listening to Xav on the podcast. :p

Anyone else think Indie Jeff sounds like Billy? I don't know if I could tell them apart if they were on the same podcast!
Yeah I don't think either one is on often enough for me to really get a handle on their voices.

Bog

Junior Ace
She wasn't supposed to like R3? That says a lot for the credibility of "Clevver Games" (don't forget - that's with 2 v's).

MoeB

Wow why won't Del Rio just go away. I wish the dude/lady who made the Vuvuzela filter program would make one specifically to remove any mentions of and music made by Del Rio from mp3 files.

LifEndz

MoeB said:
Wow why won't Del Rio just go away. I wish the dude/lady who made the Vuvuzela filter program would make one specifically to remove any mentions of and music made by Del Rio from mp3 files.

This. For the love of god this! Please, I'd pay to have Del Rio and his Vanilla Ice sounding raps removed from the podcast forever.

theBishop

Banned
Through a lot of this, I'm annoyed by Garnett dominating every conversation. He always seems to think he can explain someone's point better than they can. And he frequently draws attention to his own imagined reputation among gamers. There's little room for discussion or exchange of opinion.

As for the discussion itself, I think Garnett's got the wrong idea about the 3DS' right-stick. Time will tell, but I fully expect the 2-stick setup to become the 3DS standard.

No offense to Garnett and Andrea but I thought the Jeff and Jeff segment when the other two weren't talking was great. It's like the complete opposite of White Boy Wasted

It needs to be its own segment

Weekend Confirmed Podblast: Jeff on Jeff

theBishop said:
Through a lot of this, I'm annoyed by Garnett dominating every conversation. He always seems to think he can explain someone's point better than they can. And he frequently draws attention to his own imagined reputation among gamers. There's little room for discussion or exchange of opinion.

Fuck you. Beer pong. Weed. Barbiturates. White boy wasted.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Just got to the song finally and I have to agree that it's one of the worst things I've ever heard presented as some kind of serious, professional music.

Also, I'm not one to typically make an argument of this sort, but if a song was called "Black Guy High", wouldn't it be a little offensive?

mr stroke

Neuromancer said:

+1

I would like it if they swapped the news section to the front of the show and made it the majority of the podcast. It is "Shacknews" so focusing on news would be a better fit IMO. It would be a change of pace and would really separate it from other podcasts.We don't need- 2 hours of "what u been playing-current hotness+indie games+iOS crap" that gets recycled over and over.

I might get banned for this but Delrio, can you please stop making music? The reason you haven't made it isn't because of the "haters" but because your music is truly atrocious.

Jeff is the best thing about the podcast, somehow Garnett has become a pussy and is afraid of telling Andrea how much she is full of suck.

Rlan

It was weird when Garnett started to talk about Resistance 3 and Uncharted 3, when he seemed to be trying to not say Killzone 3. Did he even mention it? He reviewed it for shack, calling it "It is now, particularly for those who play online, the new reigning king of PS3 shooters." So...

Massa

It was really weird to see a critic defend the multiplayer preview event for MW3 as being a better way to play the game than what EA is doing with Battlefield 3 (a full month open beta). Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if Andrea didn't know there will be an open beta for Battlefield 3 since that information was only made public a year ago, when the game was announced.

I'd also like to hear their take on people covering games taking the time to enjoy perks like a Kanye West concert paid by the people whose products they're covering. It seems like an obvious conflict of interest to me.

Heavy's Sandvich said:
I might get banned for this but Delrio, can you please stop making music? The reason you haven't made it isn't because of the "haters" but because your music is truly atrocious.

If he enjoys making music who are you to tell him not to? Jeez.

meppi

Jburton said:

I'm in the same boat and have been for over a month now.
Still trying to give it a go, but I keep asking myself why not even halfway through.

8-4 is okay most of the time, but hasn't recaptured the high that was the Super Game Masters show.
Then again that show doesn't fit into the series looking back at it now.
Wish we got a podcast series based on that one though.

You might want to give PixelJunk Radio a go as it's without a shadow of a doubt my favorite game related podcast at this time and I don't see it changing anytime soon. :)

Curufinwe

DaBuddaDa said:
I wasn't, I said they both had "massive" marketing budgets, which is true. Yes, one happens to be more massive than the other.

Resistance 3 does not have a massive marketing budget.

I freaking hate the music breaks on a god damn video game podcast. Now one gives a crap about your shitty music on a game show. Start a blog, or a music podcast, maybe then you wouldnt "run out of time"

which brings me to another pet peeve of mine (this applies to other podcasts sometimes) but stop acting like you're on terrestrial radio. Stop saying "if you're just joining us" because no one was flipping fucking channels people have to actively download you just to listen, stop acting like you're running out of time as if the program director will chew you out later for cutting into Joe & Joe in the Afternoons. You're an internet podcast, you have as much time as you want there to be. Giantbomb doesn't end their shit by acting like they're "running out of time", it's usually because they've been in that room for too long.

RAWR!

Margalis

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
Even though I think most of the beefs in this thread are sound, this has to be the angriest WC thread yet.

Seriously some of the people here need to get some perspective. Oh noes, someone played some music I didn't care for! BURN HIM!

CartridgeBlower said:
Even though I think most of the beefs in this thread are sound, this has to be the angriest WC thread yet.

Uh...no.

Try the one where Garnett, Jeff and Andrea decided to tear down Dead Space 2.

That thread was...something.

I am usually happy to listen to most WC podcasts that don't have N'gai or Andy Reid involved, but I cannot say I enjoyed the podcast too much this week.

It's sad that in the week Driver: San Fran, Resistance 3, Space Marine, Dead Island and Star Fox came out they seemed lacking. They even continued hating on the 3DS for having no games in the week a big game hit for the system. Yes, I know the game did not come out until Friday, but I feel at least one member of the cast must have some relations with Nintendo PR to get it somewhat early.

They had the Hard Reset demo they could have talked about too. I believe a few publications got access to that early, so even if it came out to the public after recording, most of the team should have had access to it long before recording.

Also, even though I liked Andrea in previous episodes (when others were hating), she seemed off this episode. Not having used Steam, when you cover games for a living, is weird. Don't get me wrong, I am not a huge PC gamer, and play a minute amount of PC games a year, but, even I have have access to it. Also her complete lack of understanding that the COD series is more mass-market that something like MAG or Socom was off putting. Also, her making this statement, when she previously talked about not been a multiplayer gamer was weird.

Garnett's "I don't have time" speil is getting silly too. It is not like Shacknews is overflowing with content, yet Garnett does not have time to play some games. One the Bombcast the guys are talking about games they are playing for review along with games they are playing in their spare time at the same time as putting out both video and written content on the site daily. Shacknews has less content (but it still a great site), and somehow it's staff has less time to play games.

Also, seeing as Del Rio's musical interludes are seemingly becoming more serious, they are less fun. In truth, they are not needed on the podcast. If you need some music on the cast, then there is a tonne of video game music you could use. Why not talk with some composers at studios and ask them to debut a theme from an upcoming game on the cast? Why not ask a band related to video games to have the music on the cast. It has to be more intresting that having random naff on.

Lately I feel that the pre-podcast video seems much more relaxed and easy to listen to than the podcast itself. I am not sure why that is, but if it was possible for the cast to have the same spontaneity on show as in the video it would be better. That video seems like friends chatting and messing about - which is great. The podcast (particularly this week), seems like people doing a job - one which they are getting a bit bored of.

On a positive note, I really, really like the idea of a "Indie Homework Assignment." It sucks that Garnett completely blew it off and that Andrea only played one of the games. The Stanley Parable is fantastic. I really would like to hear them all play some small game like this every week and talk about it. It certainly would go a long way to making the show fresh.

I love hearing Jeff analyzing games. I just wish he had more people on the show that actually played some damn games to talk about them with him. Jeff and Xav's conversation about Deus Ex last week was great. Every one of these podcasts should have real conversations about games they have all been playing like that. Sadly, it is an anonomly when they actually play the same thing and have extended conversations about it.

I'm sure Del Rio is great at what he does (mixing etc.) and I'm sure Andrea is a nice person and is good at what she does. Neither of them are very good on this podcast and neither of them belong on it. The guy that said people need to get some perspectives about complaining about a five minute song is partially correct. But dude, this show is supposed to be for the listeners. Nobody likes this stuff. It shouldn't be there. It's really damn terrible. That "White Boy Wasted Song" is seriously one of the worst things I have ever heard. People criticizing it aren't just trying to be mean.

As for Andrea, I don't like how dismissive she is of everyone else and she seems to have this weird attitude toward anything that isn't a standard Action game or an RPG. Every time that isn't action focused comes up whether it is something like Heavy Rain or an indie game, she becomes totally dismissive. I don't really know what her deal is but she comes off as if she feels that needs to out dudebro the dudebros. At least she didn't ruin the indie segment and mostly stayed quite.

I actually really like the personalities of Garnet, Xav, and Jeff. But this podcast is in a serious funk. I think I frankly mainly still listen to it solely because of nostalgia from the 1up Yours Podcast. But the 1up style used to be the only show in town. Now there are SO MANY great gaming podcasts with guys that spend lots of time having intelligent passionate discussion about games: GamersWithJobs, Giant Bomb, 8-4 Play, Rebel FM, Cheap Ass Gamer, etc.

I listen to a lot of gaming podcasts because I listen to them daily while I jog. But this has become my least favorite one behind Player One Podcast.

Totally Rad Show is pretty great, though. Anyone who likes Jeff at all should really check out that videopodcast. The other two guys on it are great as well.

EternalGamer said:
I love hearing Jeff analyzing games. I just wish he had more people on the show that actually played some damn games to talk about them with him. Jeff and Xav's conversation about Deus Ex last week was great.

I would pay for this podcast.

Goldmund

Keyser Soze said:
I am usually happy to listen to most WC podcasts that don't have N'gai or Andy Reid involved, but I cannot say I enjoyed the podcast too much this week.

It's sad that in the week Driver: San Fran, Resistance 3, Space Marine, Dead Island and Star Fox came out they seemed lacking. They even continued hating on the 3DS for having no games in the week a big game hit for the system. Yes, I know the game did not come out until Friday, but I feel at least one member of the cast must have some relations with Nintendo PR to get it somewhat early.

They had the Hard Reset demo they could have talked about too. I believe a few publications got access to that early, so even if it came out to the public after recording, most of the team should have had access to it long before recording.

Also, even though I liked Andrea in previous episodes (when others were hating), she seemed off this episode. Not having used Steam, when you cover games for a living, is weird. Don't get me wrong, I am not a huge PC gamer, and play a minute amount of PC games a year, but, even I have have access to it. Also her complete lack of understanding that the COD series is more mass-market that something like MAG or Socom was off putting. Also, her making this statement, when she previously talked about not been a multiplayer gamer was weird.

Garnett's "I don't have time" speil is getting silly too. It is not like Shacknews is overflowing with content, yet Garnett does not have time to play some games. One the Bombcast the guys are talking about games they are playing for review along with games they are playing in their spare time at the same time as putting out both video and written content on the site daily. Shacknews has less content (but it still a great site), and somehow it's staff has less time to play games.

Also, seeing as Del Rio's musical interludes are seemingly becoming more serious, they are less fun. In truth, they are not needed on the podcast. If you need some music on the cast, then there is a tonne of video game music you could use. Why not talk with some composers at studios and ask them to debut a theme from an upcoming game on the cast? Why not ask a band related to video games to have the music on the cast. It has to be more intresting that having random naff on.

Lately I feel that the pre-podcast video seems much more relaxed and easy to listen to than the podcast itself. I am not sure why that is, but if it was possible for the cast to have the same spontaneity on show as in the video it would be better. That video seems like friends chatting and messing about - which is great. The podcast (particularly this week), seems like people doing a job - one which they are getting a bit bored of.
Del Rio produces the show. I guess it's his pay. He may fill the gaps with his music. If they featured none of his music and decided to pay him real money instead, he'd carry it right to the next bar to get white boy wasted. Who would want that?

EternalGamer said:
I'm sure Del Rio is great at what he does and I'm sure Andrea is a nice person and is good at what she does. Neither of them are very good on this podcast. The guy that said people need to get some perspectives about complaining about a five minute song is partially correct. But dude, this show is supposed to be for the listeners. Nobody likes this stuff. It shouldn't be there.

I've always said that's the exact problem with this podcast, and you nailed it -- there have been zero changes made to it based on listener feedback.

Now, you could say it's Garnett's damn show, and he doesn't have to change anything if he doesn't want to. Fair. But at the same time then, it becomes doubly frustrating to the listeners. Hence there's this strange no-man's land this podcast finds itself in -- people enjoying many of the things it offers, but also being frustrated with the weaker elements (which are almost non-debatable at this point), that for some reason, Garnett REFUSES to address.

I think he chooses his friendships over what would actually make this podcast better, and that's probably noble and makes work easier for him. But to us, it doesn't enrich the show in any way, and just continues to hold it back.

Top Bottom