• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed Ep. 77 | 09/09/2011 | +Andrea Rene and Jeff Mattas

Jburton

Banned
Ghost_Protocol said:
Totally agree with you. It's almost like people on the internet don't have conversations with people IRL...You cannot take a sentence from someone and use that to define their entire opinion/perspective on something. You're supposed to be able to recognize that she meant Halo heavily influenced/invented the format for console FPS's from then onward. If you think that she meant Halo literally, single-handedly, INVENTED the multiplayer FPS format, then you're an idiot, or a 12 year-old.

Oh I get it, because she does put her point across clearly we are supposed to know what she meant to say instead.

Because what she says is totally different to what you thinks she means ....... and if we don't get that we are idiots or 12?

No, what she said is wrong and if she meant to say something else then she should have.

DaBuddaDa

Ghost_Protocol said:
Totally agree with you. It's almost like people on the internet don't have conversations with people IRL...You cannot take a sentence from someone and use that to define their entire opinion/perspective on something. You're supposed to be able to recognize that she meant Halo heavily influenced/invented the format for console FPS's from then onward. If you think that she meant Halo literally, single-handedly, INVENTED the multiplayer FPS format, then you're an idiot, or a 12 year-old.
I don't understand why you'd find it desirable to encourage poor, inaccurate communication. It's the responsibility of the communicator to get their point across. It's curious you bring up the 12-year-old insult concerning poor communication as the expectation of "mind-reading" is a common issue when communicating with young teens; exactly what you're describing.

Jburton said:
No, what she said is wrong and if she meant to say something else then she should have.
Bingo.

gillFTR

MikeDub said:
It's not a 'false generalization' though, it is a generalization but then isn't that the point being put across by the statement in the first place? Generally, Halo invented the multiplayer format for people who play videogames?

I didn't take offense to it, I thought it was a stupid thing to say. Mutiplayer games were around way before halo. Goldeneye and in terms of online gaming doom,quake, counter strike etc...to me that was a stupid thing to say whether or not you think I'm generalizing the statement, It doesn't change the fact that was a stupid comment.

krae_man

Jburton said:

So are people arguing that she articulates her positions poorly or are they claiming she doesn't know that multiplayer shooters existed before Halo?

Because to me the photo implies the latter, not the former.

MikeDub said:
She isn't the first to say it and I doubt she will be the last to either--.
And I make sure to avoid all these people equally.
It comes down do why listen to an 'expert' who's in the industry when they do nothing but get things wrong and misspeak, it's not like in between stupid statements she is experiencing amazing well conceived opinions, her baseline is banality.

gillFTR said:
Mutiplayer games were around way before halo. Goldeneye and in terms of online gaming doom,quake, counter strike etc...
Tennis for two.

JeffCannata

Neo Member
Fleet_of_Foot said:
Now that I know Jeff Cannata is reading this thread, let me just say that you are my favorite thing about podcasts in a long time. And I've been listening to them all since the early 1Up Yours days.

I truly enjoy listening to you man, keep it up. I would put you on the list with my favorite podcast personalities of all time at this point.

That's a very cool thing for you to say. Thank you. I appreciate it.

And I never meant to imply that I disregard everything said in this forum. Quite the opposite. Just that sometimes passion and enthusiasm turns to anger, and that vindictive doesn't usually represent how most people react to the show. So when I hear "we all get mad at the same stuff over and over, why isn't it changed?" I want to say that it isn't ignored, it just needs to be placed in context.

Again, thank you to everyone who listens and takes the time to comment.

gillFTR

Ghost_Protocol said:

I must be an idiot, So I'm suppose to recognize that she explicitly stated FPS's with halo on consoles when she clearly states "multiplayer format". The only thing I extrapolated from the statement was she has no Idea what she is talking about. Let's talk about what she actually said not what you interpreted.

gillFTR said:
Let's talk about what she actually said not what you interpreted.
Funny thing with defending her on that quote is that to try and make it seem like a reasonable statement their saying she's bad at articulating her points, that is the reason why she should't be on podcasts.

Jburton

Banned
B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
Funny thing with defending her on that quote is that to try and make it seem like a reasonable statement their saying she's bad at articulating her points, that is the reason why she should't be on podcasts.

This.

gillFTR

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:

What he said.

frequency

Just finished listening to the show at work.

I was expecting some terrible blasphemous statements to be made. But it seemed like a normal show to me. I don't mind Andrea. Of all her appearances on the show, I was only ever bothered with her statements about Final Fantasy, but that was a biased opinion on my part, so...
I don't think it's a huge deal if she doesn't use Steam. Not every person in the gaming media has to be an expert at everything. If you're a console-focused gamer, I see no reason at all to be familiar with Steam.
I know I'm not knowledgeable about everything related to my job since I don't work with absolutely everything.

I don't really like the music but I just skip it. Not a huge deal to me. If I'm unable to reach for my S9 for whatever reason to skip it, I'll just take my headphones off or just listen to it. I've heard way worse things. One song a week I dislike won't kill me.

I like that this show isn't so aggressive with view points. If someone disagrees, I feel they make it known but don't harp on it or escalate it to some yelling match. The friendliness of the show is what puts it above many other game podcasts for me. There are other shows to get more debate-y conversation.

I miss Xav. But still a great show. I think Jeff Cannata, Garnet, and Xav are one of my favourite podcast combos now.

Of the active video game podcasts, I would only put GWJ and WAHP above this one. But it's really close.

As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, deeper discussions about games would be nice. I think Jeff responded saying people take deeper discussions as spoilers. That's true... but it doesn't mean you can't have the deeper discussions. Just mark the beginning of the conversation with "possible spoilers" disclaimer if you guys feel putting the discussion at the end of the show messes up the flow too much. I'm one of the people who was bothered a bit by the Deus Ex discussion with details about specific locations and stuff, but I didn't mean for my "complaint" to be taken as a "STOP TALKING ABOUT GAMES IN DEPTH" type thing. I just wanted a disclaimer saying I could possibly be spoiled, then I'd have skipped the segment until a later date.

I like what GWJ does with their discussions. They have a general discussion covering how they feel about a game during the podcast. Then after the credits, they'll have a discussion about the details, spoilers and all. I think it would be great if Weekend Confirmed was able to do that too.

megamerican

My suggestion: Don't have the somewhat arbitrary discussion topics before the news segment. Do the news earlier in the show, and let the discussion spring from the current topics.

The music needs to go. It was bad at first, then sort of became a joke, now its come full circle and is irritating.

DaBuddaDa

That single could be a massive local radio cult hit in the area I live in. Lots of similarly "trashy, catchy white boy life" songs have exploded on the radio here.

JeffCannata said:

And I never meant to imply that I disregard everything said in this forum. Quite the opposite. Just that sometimes passion and enthusiasm turns to anger, and that vindictive doesn't usually represent how most people react to the show. So when I hear "we all get mad at the same stuff over and over, why isn't it changed?" I want to say that it isn't ignored, it just needs to be placed in context.

Your rational response on an internet forum is...confusing me.

Grisby

Jeff, you like new experiences right? Give Rise of Nightmares a try sometime for Kinect. It's actually entertaining in a weird sort of way.

Flavius

JeffCannata said:

Dig this response much more than your last one. Well said, Cannata.

I still download every week, still listen, and still enjoy what you guys do.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Ghost_Protocol said:

Here here seriously, I honestly find this to be a very common trait with intelligent and often introverted people (nerds in a lot of instances), now before people go off on one and make the mistake of taking me literary, relax, I am generalising upon stereotypes here and this is purely anecdotal evidence based on my personal experiences, if you feel you don't fit into this category then don't panic :p, all is right with the world, now from my experiences particularly on here and with many people that I know who are intelligent (in a nerdy way), more so than I don't seem to grasp the ability to read between the lines, they tend to take everything as an 'absolute' which I find very odd coming from evidently clever people.

I agree that people should explain themselves better if that's the reason why they are being misunderstood but not everyone has the ability or eloquence to do so thus that is when our common sense should override the logical nerd sectors of our brain instead of taking what they say as a literal fact.

EXGN said:

Inspiration for that song:
garnett%20lee.jpg

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
lowrider007 said:
Here here seriously, I honestly find this to be a very common trait with intelligent and often introverted people (nerds in a lot of instances), now before people go off on one and make the mistake of taking me literary, relax, I am generalising upon stereotypes here and this is purely anecdotal evidence based on my personal experiences, if you feel you don't fit into this category then don't panic :p, all is right with the world, now from my experiences particularly on here and with many people that I know who are intelligent (in a nerdy way), more so than I don't seem to grasp the ability to read between the lines, they tend to take everything as an 'absolute' which I find very odd coming from evidently clever people.

I agree that people should explain themselves better if that's the reason why they are being misunderstood but not everyone has the ability or eloquence to do so thus that is when our common sense should override the logical nerd sectors of our brain instead of taking what they say as a literal fact.

Talkin' 'bout dat autism.

EXGN said:

I swear to God this has to be a parody.

Imagine something like this on 1up Yours or GFW. Shawn Elliot would destroy it in about three seconds.

On the constructive criticism talk, I think the best thing said yet is try and play the same games so you can get into disagreements and conversations about them. The R3 talk this week was pretty good because at least a couple people played it. When only one person talks about a game, it sometimes feels like someone's reading the features off the back of the box, trying to get everyone else caught up. That can be a podcast killer.

lowrider007 said:
Here here seriously, I honestly find this to be a very common trait with intelligent and often introverted people (nerds in a lot of instances), now before people go off on one and make the mistake of taking me literary, relax, I am generalising upon stereotypes here and this is purely anecdotal evidence based on my personal experiences, if you feel you don't fit into this category then don't panic .

Wait, so you guys are saying that it is absurd to generalize about someone based upon a single comment or anecdote. Then you guys procede to generalize about people who post single commments on a web forum, about how they must be introverted nerds or whatever.

Classic irony.

lowrider007

EternalGamer said:
Wait, so you guys are saying that it is absurd to generalize about someone based upon a single comment or anecdote. Then you guys proceed to generalize about people who post single comments on a web forum, about how they must be introverted nerds or whatever.

Classic irony.

I guess your in the category then, your post is a prime example of the very people I was talking about.

CartridgeBlower said:
I swear to God this has to be a parody.

On the constructive criticism talk, I think the best thing said yet is try and play the same games so you can get into disagreements and conversations about them. The R3 talk this week was pretty good because at least a couple people played it. When only one person talks about a game, it sometimes feels like someone's reading the features off the back of the box, trying to get everyone else caught up. That can be a podcast killer.

This is the main thing. I don't dislike the show or I wouldn't keep listening to it every week and I really, really like all three of the regulars. They just to maybe hit each other up during the week and say "Hey, what are you playing... ok, I'll try and play a couple of hours of that too so we can talk about it."

Like I said before, the Indie Homework assignment is a great idea. They need to do that more consistently and have everybody participate. But planning other games too. They have a good cast of people that can talk intelligently about games, they just all need to be addressing the same content more often.

lowrider007 said:
I guess your in the category then.

I'm not panicking nor do I really care if you want to lump me in some category. I just think it is pretty absurd that your argument turns back on itself so quickly. You want to attack other people who you think are unfairly judging people based on a single comment out of context. So what do you do? You judge them based upon singular comments out of context.

lowrider007

EternalGamer said:
I'm not panicing nor do I really care if you want to lump me in some category. I just think it is pretty absurd that your argument turns back on itself so quickly. You want to attack other people who you think are unfairly judging people based on a single comment out of context. So what do you do? You judge them based upon singular comments out of context.

You've taken my post completely out of context and I presume it is becuase you feel it is a personal attack upon your persona, I have not said that they "must be introverted", (as you originally replied), yet again you've turned a generalisation into an absolute and therefore changing the dynamics of the discussion by misrepresenting what I said, it's just pointless debating in such a fashion.

Havok

gillFTR said:
I must be an idiot, So I'm suppose to recognize that she explicitly stated FPS's with halo on consoles when she clearly states "multiplayer format". The only thing I extrapolated from the statement was she has no Idea what she is talking about. Let's talk about what she actually said not what you interpreted.
Haven't listened to the show, so I might be taking all of this out of context. But if what she meant by 'multiplayer format' was playlists and party systems, then yeah, Halo was at the forefront of that. The lobby and party system that the big multiplayer shooters sans PC stuff (she's not a PC gamer, so why would you expect her to have knowledge of that stuff?) was at the very least popularized by Halo 2.

Riposte

I know I am late on podcast listing, but as far as Japan goes...

Red Sun Gamer > WAHP = 8-4

RSG is really underrated. Much better "Japanese Games" podcast, though not as professional. WAHP is more about "Japanese gaming gossip and trash talk" and 8-4 feels like "American Game Journalists in Japan"(despite it not exactly being it). 8-4 and WAHP nostalgia/look-back episodes are better overall though. (Also 8-4 is much more consistent, but I am not exactly grading that.)

frequency

Riposte said:
I know I am late on podcast listing, but as far as Japan goes...

Red Sun Gamer > WAHP = 8-4

RSG is really underrated. Much better "Japanese Games" podcast, though not as professional. WAHP is more about "Japanese gaming gossip and trash talk" and 8-4 feels like "American Game Journalists in Japan"(despite it not exactly being it). 8-4 and WAHP nostalgia/look-back episodes are better overall though. (Also 8-4 is much more consistent, but I am not exactly grading that.)
I really really liked RSG. Their podcast and justin.tv streams are great. But they switched to .m4a audio format. My player (Cowon S9) doesn't play .m4a, so I've been forced to unsubscribe.

8-4 doesn't do anything for me.

I love Red Sun Gamer. I love the work stories in RSG, like Martin trying to get a fan.

Honestly I'm looking forward to TGS more for the podcasts than any game announcements and I believe RSG on the last episode said they were doing daily podcasts.

Rumors of a WAHP episode
Daily Red Sun Gamer Episodes
At least 2 8-4 episodes, one with Garnett

This is the freaking week to be a fan of Japanese gaming podcasts!

Top Bottom