• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed Ep. 77 | 09/09/2011 | +Andrea Rene and Jeff Mattas

Good to see more love for Space Marine. Great game.

I feel like I'm getting a mixed message in podcast reviews of Resistance 3 though. Its the best! (of the Resistance titles), truly one of the best shooters (this month) and possible GOTY material (probably not though).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is going to sound sour and gripey--and maybe it is--but I really would like to see the, "I've done this before," complaint applied evenly and completely across all games. This fall will see a tidal wave of military shooters released. Will we hear this complaint again?

Goldmund

Y2Kev said:
This is going to sound sour and gripey--and maybe it is--but I really would like to see the, "I've done this before," complaint applied evenly and completely across all games. This fall will see a tidal wave of military shooters released. Will we hear this complaint again?
Swearing and misbehaving never gets old.

bigdaddygamebot said:
I would pay for this podcast.

Totally Rad Show is pretty good and it is just that. All of them play the same thing then talk about it. Although I don't really like when they do the silly party game episodes. The other stuff is pretty good.

DaBuddaDa said:
AAA, massive marketing budgets, jizzed all over by western press, games where you're a guy who shoots things, look pretty, PS3 exclusives. Plenty of similarities........

But he wasnt referring to that. He was comparing them as shooters. But ones a fps and ones a 3rd person actioner. Couldnt be further removed; it's like comparing gears of war to call of duty.

EternalGamer said:
Totally Rad Show is pretty good and it just that. All of them play the same thing then talk about it. Although I don't really like when they do the silly party game episodes. The other stuff is pretty good.

Alex Albrecht is the type of gamer that just...yeah...

But way ahead of you. I think I might be the only one that enjoyed the old format of once a week as opposed to the daily episodes.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Uh...no.

Try the one where Garnett, Jeff and Andrea decided to tear down Dead Space 2.

That thread was...something.
Haha yeah that show was legendary. My hackles still raise just thinking about it!

The del rio hate is well deserved. I'm a bit sick of his "remix" WC bits of nonsensical quips which is now the trademark of the podcast. Not even well, mixed. However, that said, its a mp3 and you can always skip the tracks. I did. I never got the need to do musical interludes with non videogame music on a videogame podcast. Especially when a lot of the music garnett picked are all in their own way; kind of awful. (with the exception of the pixeljunk stuff 2 weeks or so back).

I need to listen to this deadspace2 podcast. Great game. Did they really?

Actually now that I think about it, the show I was thinking of was them all tearing into Dead Space 1, not even 2. I got the feeling they played it years after it came out, so it was already 2 or 3 years old, and none of them liked horror games in general anyway.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Pachterballs said:
But he wasnt referring to that. He was comparing them as shooters. But ones a fps and ones a 3rd person actioner. Couldnt be further removed; it's like comparing gears of war to call of duty.
I'm sure that a first person shooter and a third person shooter are not the two genres that are furthest removed from each other in all of gaming.
(Don't even deny that Uncharted is a shooter, or do you want links to all "Drake is a mass murderer"-threads?)

How about single-button platformer ala Canabalt vs. turn-based strategy game?

But you did already acknowledge this, in a way, when saying that Gears (a shooter) is like Call of Duty (a shooter).

bandresen said:
I'm sure that a first person shooter and a third person shooter are not the two genres that are furthest removed from each other in all of gaming.
(Don't even deny that Uncharted is a shooter, or do you want links to all "Drake is a mass murderer"-threads?)

How about single-button platformer ala Canabalt vs. turn-based strategy game?

But you did already acknowledge this, in a way, when saying that Gears (a shooter) is like Call of Duty (a shooter).

I'm not saying that.

read what I wrote again.

just because game A) involves shooting things - does not mean it equates itself to Game B) which involves shooting things. What's next compare ikaruga to resistance 3? You shoot things in both.

Y2Kev said:
You can bet that we certainly will not.

benny_a

Pachterballs said:
just because game A) involves shooting things - does not mean it equates itself to Game B) which involves shooting things. What's next compare ikaruga to resistance 3? You shoot things in both.
According to what you wrote earlier, Ikaruga is more like Resistance 3 than Uncharted is. So I guess you can easily compare them.

sketchsanchez said:
I freaking hate the music breaks on a god damn video game podcast. Now one gives a crap about your shitty music on a game show. Start a blog, or a music podcast, maybe then you wouldnt "run out of time"

which brings me to another pet peeve of mine (this applies to other podcasts sometimes) but stop acting like you're on terrestrial radio. Stop saying "if you're just joining us" because no one was flipping fucking channels people have to actively download you just to listen, stop acting like you're running out of time as if the program director will chew you out later for cutting into Joe & Joe in the Afternoons. You're an internet podcast, you have as much time as you want there to be. Giantbomb doesn't end their shit by acting like they're "running out of time", it's usually because they've been in that room for too long.

RAWR!

You're living under a rock if you don't think some people just hit and run these podcasts. Not every listener decides to subscribe via RSS or Itunes. It's wrong to assume that everyone has listened to all 77 episodes completely and thoroughly. What if you only care to hear what the group thinks when certain releases are been discussed? And do you really listen to the Giant Bombcast? Even when they've pushed damn near 3 hours, they've rushed towards the end because they've got to leave, catch the bus/train or have other appointments etc.

Podcasters aren't robots. They have lives too. We should all be happy that there is such a wide selection of free podcasts available on the interent. You don't like it stop listening and find something else. No one is forcing you to continue. What's up with all this Oh and I think I need to remind you that this is for FREE and commercial free. Whiskey Media had a shitstorm on their hands when they put up a paywall for podcasts. This was quickly dropped because of the backlash. You can complain about the selection of music all you want, but what crappy device are you listening on that you can't fast forward past it?

Glix

The Antitype said:
ARGH!

So conflicted!

On one hand, talk of Space Marine.

On the other hand, Andrea Rene will take part in the talking.

She's sure its going to be a good game, because the PR guys told her so and she trusts them.

benny_a

ReturnOfTheRAT said:
What's up with all this Oh and I think I need to remind you that this is for FREE and commercial free.
But it isn't commercial free. Or why am I asked to become a member of GameFly all the time and get the GameFlapp?

Glix

gillFTR said:
Andrea rene isn't that the chick that said halo invented multiplayer gaming GTTV ?

If she said it, it is true. She is a wellspring of video game knowledge and her opinions are ALWAYS well researched and make a lot of sense.

I will echo the sentiments of some of those in this thread. I think Garnett is putting his friendships ahead of the quality of his show. I understand that he has people who he wants to work with, but I just don't think Andrea is a good fit for the show. She is so off the mark with a lot of the things she talks about.

That Del Rio track speaks for itself, and the remixes he does with parts of the show haven't been funny since Super Mega Worm. I really disliked Brian Leahy, but I definitely feel the show has lost something without him there. Everyone is just way too agreeable with each other now, pretty much any time there is serious discussion it is because Garnett has to play devil's advocate.

Man, tough crowd here.

Put me in the appreciative camp for a fun, free podcast to confirm my weekends.

Its pretty zen to play the podcast in the background as I free roam through NFS: Hot Pursuit's world at top speed. Good stuff.

NullPointer said:
Man, tough crowd here.

Put me in the appreciative camp for a fun, free podcast to confirm my weekends.

Its pretty zen to play the podcast in the background as I free roam through NFS: Hot Pursuit's world at top speed. Good stuff.
Thinking that just because something is free means that you can't give it criticism is silly.

darkressurection said:
Thinking that just because something is free means that you can't give it criticism is silly.
Criticism is all well and good and I'm not for stifling it. But damn, some people just get full on personal with this stuff.

NullPointer said:
Criticism is all well and good and I'm not for stifling it. But damn, some people just get full on personal with this stuff.
That is true enough, I feel mostly everyone is this thread has been fairly level headed but I haven't made it through the whole thread yet.

Mrbob

Garnett, I hope you are ready to eat some crow on the next podcast over the Matt Forte smack talk you attempted to bring. :D

Bad7667

CartridgeBlower said:
I've always said that's the exact problem with this podcast, and you nailed it -- there have been zero changes made to it based on listener feedback.

Now, you could say it's Garnett's damn show, and he doesn't have to change anything if he doesn't want to. Fair. But at the same time then, it becomes doubly frustrating to the listeners. Hence there's this strange no-man's land this podcast finds itself in -- people enjoying many of the things it offers, but also being frustrated with the weaker elements (which are almost non-debatable at this point), that for some reason, Garnett REFUSES to address.

I think he chooses his friendships over what would actually make this podcast better, and that's probably noble and makes work easier for him. But to us, it doesn't enrich the show in any way, and just continues to hold it back.
I agree. Unfortunately they seem to respond to the less than constructive criticisms more. My biggest problem with the podcast has always been that it feels like every conversation about the games they play just feels superficial. It may be that I want WC to be something its not but I feel like they tell me what the game is (genre) and its mechanics, then they tell me the pros and cons, then its on to the next game.

An example of what I want from any gaming podcast would be the Metal Gear 4 conversation from GFW or Idles Thumbs many conversations about Far Cry 2.

I just miss Idle Thumbs and GFW Radio I guess.

JohngPR

Keyser Soze said:
I am usually happy to listen to most WC podcasts that don't have N'gai or Andy Reid involved, but I cannot say I enjoyed the podcast too much this week.

It's sad that in the week Driver: San Fran, Resistance 3, Space Marine, Dead Island and Star Fox came out they seemed lacking. They even continued hating on the 3DS for having no games in the week a big game hit for the system. Yes, I know the game did not come out until Friday, but I feel at least one member of the cast must have some relations with Nintendo PR to get it somewhat early.

They had the Hard Reset demo they could have talked about too. I believe a few publications got access to that early, so even if it came out to the public after recording, most of the team should have had access to it long before recording.

Also, even though I liked Andrea in previous episodes (when others were hating), she seemed off this episode. Not having used Steam, when you cover games for a living, is weird. Don't get me wrong, I am not a huge PC gamer, and play a minute amount of PC games a year, but, even I have have access to it. Also her complete lack of understanding that the COD series is more mass-market that something like MAG or Socom was off putting. Also, her making this statement, when she previously talked about not been a multiplayer gamer was weird.

Garnett's "I don't have time" speil is getting silly too. It is not like Shacknews is overflowing with content, yet Garnett does not have time to play some games. One the Bombcast the guys are talking about games they are playing for review along with games they are playing in their spare time at the same time as putting out both video and written content on the site daily. Shacknews has less content (but it still a great site), and somehow it's staff has less time to play games.

Also, seeing as Del Rio's musical interludes are seemingly becoming more serious, they are less fun. In truth, they are not needed on the podcast. If you need some music on the cast, then there is a tonne of video game music you could use. Why not talk with some composers at studios and ask them to debut a theme from an upcoming game on the cast? Why not ask a band related to video games to have the music on the cast. It has to be more intresting that having random naff on.

Lately I feel that the pre-podcast video seems much more relaxed and easy to listen to than the podcast itself. I am not sure why that is, but if it was possible for the cast to have the same spontaneity on show as in the video it would be better. That video seems like friends chatting and messing about - which is great. The podcast (particularly this week), seems like people doing a job - one which they are getting a bit bored of.

I've been a big fan of this show since its inception and a big fan of 1up Yours before it and I'm sad to say that I completely agree.

Having listened to old 2006-2007 1up Yours podcasts via the "This Year" podcast, it's easy to note what made those shows great. The looseness and camaraderie between the people on the podcasts.

In those podcasts no one was sacred and got called out if they said something silly and in Weekend Confirmed, you get labeled as being condescending and end up having to apologize (like Garnett did with Andrea during the Socom/BF3/COD conversation). You know what? If you say something silly that makes it sound like you kind of don't know what you are talking about then you deserved to be called out.

Paches

I agree with most all the criticism here leveled against the podcast, but I think this podcast still produces a lot of good discussion sometimes.

Here is the main criticism I think people have of Andrea (could be wrong, but this is my interpretation). Andrea brings absolutely nothing to the table that isn't already there. She doesn't fill any gaps that need filling like an Indie Jeff does. Her perspective isn't unique, her experiences with video games seem limited, and she seems to have a closed mind to things she has a preconceived notion of. It is hard to listen to.

Also, what they should do that I like about Gamers With Jobs is just play like 10 seconds or so of the main theme of whatever game is relevant at the time. In the most recent episode for the two 10 second interludes GWJ had they played DXHR's theme and DX1's theme. It was relevant and not overbearing. I am sure Del Rio is a great guy and seems to be a competent producer, but holy cow his songs are just *awful*. The main problem with having a "real" song in a podcast is everyone has different tastes, someone won't like it (or in Del Rio's case, everyone), so just go with a short snippet of something instead.

JeffCannata

Neo Member
Bad7667 said:
I agree. Unfortunately they seem to respond to the less than constructive criticisms more.

What constructive criticism has there been, exactly? Seems like it has all been "get rid of the music" (5 min of a 2 hour show, btw) and "get rid of Andrea". Maybe I missed something?

Bad7667 said:
My biggest problem with the podcast has always been that it feels like every conversation about the games they play just feels superficial. It may be that I want WC to be something its not but I feel like they tell me what the game is (genre) and its mechanics, then they tell me the pros and cons, then its on to the next.

Anytime we try to go any deeper than this we get a lot of heat for discussing details that could be construed as spoilers.

I think you guys should also realize we get a lot of feedback from a lot of different sources and this forum is a tiny minority of our listeners. A tiny, angry minority. I ain't mad at you, and you aren't ignored, I just take what you say with a grain of salt :)

I appreciate you listening and commenting.

Paches

JeffCannata said:
What constructive criticism has there been, exactly? Seems like it has all been "get rid of the music" (5 min of a 2 hour show, btw) and "get rid of Andrea". Maybe I missed something?

I just gave some in the post above you!

<3

JeffCannata said:

Anytime we try to go any deeper than this we get a lot of heat for discussing details that could be construed as spoilers.

I think you guys should also realize we get a lot of feedback from a lot of different sources and this forum is a tiny minority of our listeners. A tiny, angry minority. I ain't mad at you, and you aren't ignored, I just take what you say with a grain of salt :)

Yeah...get rid of Andrea.

Flavius

JeffCannata said:

A ridiculous generalization. Plenty of constructive input here, in this very thread even. You simply have to read instead of ripping off a reply, half-cocked.

I think you guys should also realize we get a lot of feedback from a lot of different sources and this forum is a tiny minority of our listeners. A tiny, angry minority.

How are you tracking this? I'd love to see the numbers to back this up.

DaBuddaDa

I'm not sure where the Dragon Quest X confusion came from. It's not a standard, single-player DQ game with online stuff, the game is flat out a MMORPG, ala Final Fantasy 11. Subscriptions are commonplace for MMOs.

JeffCannata said:

Hey Jeff. I know you are an actor, so what if you asked for feedback on a performance and people came up to you saying the same 2 things over and over. Maybe some people put it more eloquently, maybe some people don't explain themselves as much. At what point does that same criticism become constructive?

Obvious there are people here saying, "BAH GET RID OF ANDREA RAGEEEEEE!" but there are also people explaining themselves more thoroughly as to why she doesn't seem to fit in the podcast. Same applies to Del Rio's music, just because some people don't think through a criticism they are giving, doesn't mean it should be ignored.

Mrbob

This thread is a bit crazy right now. Gonna steer it back on topic and post a couple more in game pictures of Warhammer 40K Space Marine!

Here is the aftermath of a bunch of Orks attempting to take me on!

sox00p.jpg

Then a Chaos Space Marine thought he could defeat me and learned the hard way with a power axe blow to the face!

33jsgzk.jpg

The all out action in this game is amazing.

Glad someone finally told Garnett how condescending he is. That shit's annoying just listening to the podcast casually, can't imagine how it feels to sit in that room every week. At the end of the day, they're talking about a hobby, nothing more. No need to shout out, minimalize, dismiss, or trivialize anyone else's opinion. No one in that room has a Ph.D in video games , or in anything else.

krae_man

Andrea was fine today, So far, everything she's said has been about games she's played which doesn't bother me. Well except for liking Lets Golf 3D. As a $1 iOS touch screen Hot Shots/Mario Golf clone it's a great time waster. Charging $7 or whatever it costs and using buttons and trying to stand along side the big boys, it's flaws cannot be overlooked.

I loved the iOS version but hated the PSP verison.

Edit: EA's goal was never outsell COD this year was it? I thought the goal was to take a 30-40% market share chunk and pass them with the next game.

JeffCannata said:

I am personally not angry at all. I find it impossible to be angry at people who record podcasts/shows, as they are spending time out of their day/week to make entertainment for others. That should be applauded. However, it helps to be critical at times, and even though I made multiple appreciative comments in previous threads, after this week I did feel the podcast was going slightly downhill.

Looking back at the podcasts from weeks past, one thing I noticed was there is very little debate on subjects. When Garnett ranted on Diablo III, there was no real response to him other than a bit of snickering. When Andy Reid ranted about Call of Duty, there was a few dismissive "oh yeahs," but no real response to the controversial, and arguably bigheaded comments he was making. When Andrea mentioned not using Steam ever, it was mentioned she'd get comments for saying such a thing, although it was never debated on the cast itself.

On TRS, if you disagree with Alex/Dan about something,you usually debate why you feel different, at least for a while. It is the same if they disagree with each other, or with you. There is, at least, a few minutes where you argue (polity) your point. Similarly. on Garnett's "Damn Shows" in the past, people would directly question what others had said - at times spitefully (LUKE). As a result, people (in threads like these) used to respond positively to that lively debate as it was interesting to hear. When that debate does not happen directly on the cast itself, then people (in threads like these) feel like they have to respond themselves, and may do it in a angry way because there is no one to receive their comments directly.

If I had any real constructive criticism to give it would be for everyone on the cast to debate things much more than they do. If someone says something that someone does not agree with, then debate why you feel differently, The back and forth you could get from that would be interesting for people to hear. The cast does not have to turn into a Lion's Den where people get snapped at for saying something wrong, but if someone says something that make people go "ughhhh," it should not be swept under the rug to quickly to move onto another subject. As I said earlier, the pre-show video currently seems a lot more fun than the podcast. It is more relaxed, and easy to listen to. It feels like friends are talking to each other. The cast itself feels more like people are doing their job, and acting more regimented. I don't know about others, but friends chatting, debating, and questioning each other is more interesting to me than listening to talking heads one after the other air their option . Approaching the podcast with a more freeform nature would only help things.

Oh, and I am certainly not part of the "get rid of Andrea" Club. Based on her past appearance she seems to have a slightly different view on certain games than the regular crew, which adds a lot to proceedings. Differing opinions are great, and there should be more of them - it will lead to a better overall product. People should talk about more about why people feel differently instead of shutting down so quick. The same could have been said for Andy Reid's appearance. If he was made back up his "I am a mature gamer... ect," comment it would have been an interesting listen. Instead, not only was possible good material let fall by the wayside, the whole thing turned into a negative as people reacted strongly against the final product that week.

And yes, even though the music is just a small percentage of the podcast, it is still part of it. It affects the overall flow of the show, and makes some people reach for the fastfoward button. If you watched a movie and thought a part of it was worse than the rest, you cannot just dismiss it as a separate 5 minute chunk - it is still a part of the overall product. I personally feel the current mishmash music used is off-putting. It is not just Del Rio's offerings (which are, at times, great), it is the weird mix of genres week after week. One week it is Rap, the next Dance, the next Techno, then Rock, then Alternative. With that mix there is bound to be something to annoy some subgroup of people as weeks go by. However, seeing as WC in a video game podcast, having music directly related to games would please more people. As I said in an earlier post in this thread, there are loads of game tunes out there that could be used. Also, there are bands out there that draw inspiration from video games for their music, and there are video game music composers that write tunes for games for a living. All of these could be tapped to get better music for the cast. If music must be used, then music direct from video games has the best chance of appeasing the audience of a video game centric podcast.

Anyways, I will shut up now, WC is still a good podcast. I have listened to 76 episodes from start to finish, and only gave up on one. If people react angrily here, it is only because they are passionate about listening. With such lively comments on here, it shows the podcast is getting a lot right, it is just people (including myself), think some parts could be better. We may be a "tiny, angry minority" right now, although it would be much less fun if we did not respond at all.

JeffCannata said:
I think you guys should also realize we get a lot of feedback from a lot of different sources and this forum is a tiny minority of our listeners. A tiny, angry minority.

Got a link to that other feedback that says Andrea is a perfect fit for the podcast and Del Rio's music is awesome?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
To those of you challenging Jeff to provide stats essentially to prove that GAF isn't the most important voice on the internet: Get over yourselves.

Aaron

Skipping this week due to Andrea. She seems like a nice person, but she has no idea what she's talking about. As someone who is picky about factual inaccuracies, she is nails on a chalkboard.

I have no problem with Del Rio's tracks, though sometimes skip Garnett's music choices.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Garnett, Jeff and Co, some of us even on GAF really like your show. There is always room for improvement but I genuinely look forward to the podcast each week. Gets me through the last part of Friday at work. :)

Top Bottom