• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed Ep. 77 | 09/09/2011 | +Andrea Rene and Jeff Mattas

Paches

mr stroke said:
I always thought Del Rio was a black guy, Mind-Blown :eek:

After listening to that track it isn't my cup of tea, but its not any worse than half the stuff on current top40 charts. If you hate it just fast forward..

It is hard while I am biking :(

Paches

HamPster PamPster said:
To any JRPG fans that decided to give Gamers with Jobs a try after several people, me included, praised it in this thread

... I'm sorry :(

Haha, I was listening to that this morning and cringed during that part. The right people weren't on the show to defend it properly. Stick with it though, it is a great pod.

Paches-EJ- said:
Haha, I was listening to that this morning and cringed during that part. The right people weren't on the show to defend it properly. Stick with it though, it is a great pod.

Yeah, Laura is the stalwart champion of the JRPG on the Gamer's With Jobs podcast although Corey plays them on occasion too. Neither of them were on this show.

frequency

I don't agree with everything GWJ says, but I still really enjoy them.

Also, I'm used to pretty much everyone in the Western media being very negative towards JRPGs now. I don't remember the last time I heard anyone (outside of Japan-centric podcasts and Garnett about FF13 for an episode or two) being positive about a JRPG.

frequency said:
I don't agree with everything GWJ says, but I still really enjoy them.

Also, I'm used to pretty much everyone in the Western media being very negative towards JRPGs now. I don't remember the last time I heard anyone (outside of Japan-centric podcasts and Garnett about FF13 for an episode or two) being positive about a JRPG.

Actually the last time would proabably when Greg Kasavin was on GWJ a few weeks ago. So much PSP love, it made me feel all warm and fuzzy

Also, yeah I love the podcast and I'm just playing around with my post above. I do hope the emailers give them hell though!

Edit: I hope Garnett gets hands on time with FFXIII-2 at TGS. I'd love to hear what he thinks. Everything I've seen about it is getting me excited and I never finished XIII

Massa

Speaking of GWJ it looks like Jeff 2-n's-1-t will make an appearance there soon. Should be fun.

Anyway, another thing I remembered about this episode was Garnett bringing up that Geoff Keighley thinks R3 is great but not GOTY material, and he was surprised by that.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love Geoff. His pieces on Gamespot and more recently Portal 2 are still the best examples of "gaming journalism" to date. The man knows his stuff. That said, he's a hype-man. His job is literally to do that, generate excitement for the big budget unreleased games. If a game doesn't have the pre-release excitement that an Uncharted 3 or Gears 3 will have then it simply doesn't qualify for GOTY, plain and simple. This year the list is Uncharted 3, Gears 3, Batman AC, Assassin's Creed 2-3, Portal 2, Skyrim, Battlefield 3 and MW3. Regardless of quality, these are the candidates.

That probably bothers me more than it should. I don't think it's healthy that this industry pays so much attention to the unreleased games of tomorrow instead of having more in-depth discussions about the games that are out right now. People spend years anticipating something, discussing every little detail and watching every single video released only to move on after playing it for the 5-20 hours it takes to beat it, when the focus moves on to the next big thing and the cycle starts all over again.

Top Bottom