• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80s Kids the cinematic universe you've been waiting for has arrived! GI Joe Joins...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under a new deal between the studio and Hasbro's Allspark Pictures, G.I. Joe will join up with characters from the Micronauts, Visionairies, M.A.S.K. and ROM brands.

Paramount Pictures and Hasbro are embarking on a new universe of interrelated characters and stories. The studio — which is already in the process of expanding its Transformers universe after four movies based on that popular Hasbro toy line — is announcing a new deal with Hasbro on Tuesday that will see Paramount and Allspark Pictures, Hasbro’s film label, build an interconnected, cross-property onscreen universe featuring characters from five of Hasbro’s other brands: G.I. Joe, Micronauts, Visionairies, M.A.S.K. (Mobile Armored Strike Kommand) and ROM.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/paramount-hasbro-gi-joe-universe-848920?utm_source=twitter

wait..what? None of this makes any sense at all

Slayven

Get ready Rocklords

27317473d1346350326-whats-good-3rd-faction-name-rocklords.jpg

DiscoJer

I thought I heard that was coming. But how would a He-Man/Gi-Joe crossover film even work? how would ANY of this even work?

There a sub-genre of fantasy where military units from the real world end up in a fantasy world.

And conversely, in the Masters of the Universe movie, they showed up in the real world

Visionaries was so awesome.

They deserved better.

I remember a cartoon? or maybe a half hour pilot? too lazy to look up what actually happened to that franchise.

There a sub-genre of fantasy where military units from the real world end up in a fantasy world.

And conversely, in the Masters of the Universe movie, they showed up in the real world

Masters of the Universe AND Beastmaster 2 had the exact same plot, and released within a couple years of each other. It's hard to pick which one is worse, but Beastmaster 2 is the only one out of its series to never make it off VHS and into DVD, which is saying something.

So M.A.S.K could return to toy shelves? Awesome.
My 1986 Christmas was one of the best, due in large part to Mask. They were great toys.

So M.A.S.K could return to toy shelves? Awesome.
My 1986 Christmas was one of the best, due in large part to Mask. They were great toys.

yeah I think hasbro wants an excuse to put all of these things back on shelves, but some of this is just confusing. Who the hell was asking for ROM: Spaceknight?

Savitar

I remember a cartoon? or maybe a half hour pilot? too lazy to look up what actually happened to that franchise.

There was one season? I remember it being better written than most with more personility and consequences. Plus the wizard was a real dick who didn't care if good or evil was doing better than the other. Considering they had to come to him for power he could easily dick them around.

The big issue was two fold, the toys didn't sell and the holograms were difficult and expensive to produce for the time.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I grew up in the 80's and was all up on GI Joe and Transformers, even GoBots.

I don't remember any of these other properties.

bryehn

Get ready Rocklords

27317473d1346350326-whats-good-3rd-faction-name-rocklords.jpg

Haha, oh wow I had one of those things.

The '80's b-tier Hasbro-verse? I can't believe we have finally reached this point. So many conflicting emotions.

The Transformers have the Dinobots.... while the Gobots have the Rocklords...

I honestly don't know what they were thinking with that...

I saw this piece of shit movie too. Funny thing is that I had Go-Bots before Transformers were introduced in Canada.

Holly shit MASK!?

GI Joe teams up with Matt Tracker to battle Cobra and VENOM. The concept is so batshit stupid, that it could be great.

This needs to happen.

I want to see a connected cinematic universe with Saber Rider, Galaxy Rangers , Silverhawks, and Bravestarr. Just get all the psychedelic space-ranger cartoons out of the way.

Haha, oh wow I had one of those things.

I saw this piece of shit movie too. Funny thing is that I had Go-Bots before Transformers were introduced in Canada.

I live in Canada too, ad I never got to see Transformers on TV while growing up. It just didn't air on any of the TV stations where I lived. Even though I do remember seeing the G1 toys in stores and the video collections in video rental stores. Though oddly I do remember watching Gobots on TV.

Wait, they are making an extended universe that is made up of all these titles? I can see GI Joe and MASK, but doesn't Visionaries take place on some medieval world?

GI Joe teams up with Matt Tracker to battle Cobra and VENOM. The concept is so batshit stupid, that it could be great.

I want to see a connected cinematic universe with Saber Rider, Galaxy Rangers , Silverhawks, and Bravestarr. Just get all the psychedelic space-ranger cartoons out of the way.

I live in Canada too, ad I never got to see Transformers on TV while growing up. It just didn't air on any of the TV stations where I lived. Even though I do remember seeing the G1 toys in stores and the video collections at the video rental store. Though oddly I do remember watching Gobots on TV.

Thunder Cats, Silver hawks and Tiger Sharks were all part of the same universe in the Thunder Cats remake show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_x2csugyp4

I don't know those but I think G.I. Joe should be in the same universe than the Centurions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQT00ZSVzcg

Naw Centurions shoudl team up with Sky Surfers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAYbtz_8Nfo

Savitar

A Matt Tracker GI JOE figure came out a few years ago, it revealed MASK was part of GI Joe just as VENOM was part of Cobra. Those last two really work together name wise.

Slayven

The '80's b-tier Hasbro-verse? I can't believe we have finally reached this point. So many conflicting emotions.

The Transformers have the Dinobots.... while the Gobots have the Rocklords...

I honestly don't know what they were thinking with that...
The struggle of asking for Optimus Prime and getting Leader-1 "They the same thing"
This needs to happen.

Written by the same guy that wrote Commando and Babylon 5, little known fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom