• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Film studio" Paramount team up Hasbro for a cinematic universe (GI Joe, MASK etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busty

Banned
Paramount Pictures and Hasbro are embarking on a new universe of interrelated characters and stories. The studio — which is already in the process of expanding its Transformers universe after four movies based on that popular Hasbro toy line — is announcing a new deal with Hasbro on Tuesday that will see Paramount and Allspark Pictures, Hasbro’s film label, build an interconnected, cross-property onscreen universe, featuring characters from five of Hasbro’s other brands: G.I. Joe, Micronauts, Visionairies, M.A.S.K. (Mobile Armored Strike Kommand) and ROM.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/paramount-hasbro-gi-joe-universe-848920?utm_source=

For what it's worth Paramount's immediate future seems to be tied into the ongoing saga with Viacom (and CBS') majority owner Sumner Redstone whose passing, at age 92, many think could see Viacom either sell itself off piece by piece or to a rival like Fox.

If you do believe this then this appears to be Paramount's best efforts to make itself look 'attractive' to potential buyers. Yikes.

Good, just what we need, another cinematic universe. Pile 'em boys.

giphy.gif

Cast me in Mirconauts if old.

mreddie

Remember, they had the MCU til the Disney/Marvel deal. But yeah, another planned CU, does this mean Jem/GI Joe/ Bayformers were all in the same universe?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Can Disney at least step in and grab ROM?

I don't see this universe going anywhere...

BatDan

ROM isn't Marvel?

Sadly not.
The awesome tie-in comic was published by Marvel, but the character of ROM is owned by Hasbro.
For some reason they refuse to lend Marvel the rights again. There's even a planned new comic by IDW.

It's a shame, I'd love to see ROM in GotG 2.

Slayven

ROM isn't Marvel?

Sadly not.
The awesome tie-in comic was published by Marvel, but the character of ROM is owned by Hasbro.
For some reason they refuse to lend Marvel the rights again. There's even a planned new comic by IDW.

It's a shame, I'd love to see ROM in GotG 2.

Never was. Which is why you have not seen him in the comics at all. We have seen the Space Knights, but not ROM himself.

It is funny Marvel can show him in human form, and refer to him as the "first" or something. But he can't use his gun or armor.

Gigglepoo

I loved MASK but I don't think I knew until now what it stood for. And I already forgot. Oh well.

Oh yeah, there's almost no chance I'd see any of these movies. I'm nostalgia for my youth but not because of the toys or TV shows.

G-Fex

It is funny Marvel can show him in human form, and refer to him as the "first" or something. But he can't use his gun or armor.

even funnier that Rom tied to a lot in the marvel universe at least back in the 80's.

Little more than just a promotion comic like say US-1.

jett

D-Member
Look at all those utterly useless IP's nobody gives two shits about.

This is sure to be a massive success. Embrace the cinematic universe future, fools.

Penguin

I wonder if they'll reboot the GI Joe movies or if they'll try to continue that since those have done well at the box office

G-Fex

I doubt they could make a ROM movie justice, cause well he's not just a guy in a suit like Ironman.

Oh god they're not going to make him into a poverty iron man are they?

BatDan

I just looked up what Visionairies was. There's no way anyone will invest boatloads of money into that, it's obscure even by 80's toy commercial standards.

Jaeger

I always felt Marvel needs help when it comes to mechanical design from our brothers overseas. In particular the Spaceknights have always looked hideous. Their armors are very badly designed, and have not got much better.

smurfx

get some go again
people barely cared about the gi joe sequel and they want to do a cinematic universe with less popular franchises?

Faiz

Visionaries, which had 13 episodes and a 6 issue comic which was cancelled mid-storyline, and the big gimmick was hologram stickers on the figures and weapons.

I'm surprised anyone at Hasbro has any desire to resurrect it. Or even realized it was something they owned.

Slayven

I always felt Marvel needs help when it comes to mechanical design from our brothers overseas. In particular the Spaceknights have always looked hideous. Their armors are very badly designed, and have not got much better.
Ironic since Marvel help create Super Sentai. The baddest Red Ranger ever is even named Marvelous
Dragon Flyz gotta be right around the corner

dragon-flyz-banner.jpg

i was going to make a joke about them but not sure anyone would remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom