• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Film studio" Paramount team up Hasbro for a cinematic universe (GI Joe, MASK etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busty

Banned
This whole endeavour is totally laughable given that everything hinges on the first film being a big enough hit to warrant others in the 'universe' never mind a sequel. The production costs of any of these films is going to be huge so even gathering a bunch of writers in a room (which is probably costing them millions of dollars in itself) just seem laughably premature.

But given that this is Paramount and they are desperately trying to bang the drum for the studio to make it more appealing to potential buyers (this is why they spent a FORTUNE luring DiCaprio's first look deal from WB) and this is no doubt one of the 'can't miss' money makers that the studio is touting.

And given how poorly Viacom's stock is doing I'd imagine that the alleged 40% that the studio wants to sell (or 100% depending on who you talk to) is probably worth buttons. I wouldn't be surprised if the entirety of Paramount was valued at 'only' $2b to $3b.

Eh, that looks like a writer's room for a TV show rather than something related to film anyway...., albeit a really impressive writer's room.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
This whole endeavour is totally laughable given that everything hinges on the first film being a big enough hit to warrant others in the 'universe' never mind a sequel. The production costs of any of these films is going to be huge so even gathering a bunch of writers in a room (which is probably costing them millions of dollars in itself) just seem laughably premature.

But given that this is Paramount and they are desperately trying to bang the drum for the studio to make it more appealing to potential buyers (this is why they spent a FORTUNE luring DiCaprio's first look deal from WB) and this is no doubt one of the 'can't miss' money makers that the studio is touting.

And given how poorly Viacom's stock is doing I'd imagine that the alleged 40% that the studio wants to sell (or 100% depending on who you talk to) is probably worth buttons. I wouldn't be surprised if the entirety of Paramount was valued at 'only' $2b to $3b.

Eh, that looks like a writer's room for a TV show rather than something related to film anyway...., albeit a really impressive writer's room.

Wut. Paramount's studio lot is alone worth $1B

Most analyst believe Paramount is worth between $5-10B

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell?

xeYxa3f.gif

Busty

Banned
Wut. Paramount's studio lot is alone worth $1B

Most analyst believe Paramount is worth between $5-10B

How can it be worth that if the entire market cap of Viacom is (depending on the yo-yoing share price) $15-17billion?

Given the increase per share in a buyout you'd probably get the whole of Viacom for $20 billion. Do you really think that Paramount, and the fifty bucks they contribute to the bottom line annually, are worth fully half of Viacom's worth?

I'd say on a good day Paramount, as a whole, is worth $3-5 billion.

vinnygambini

How can it be worth that if the entire market cap of Viacom is (depending on the yo-yoing share price) $15-17billion?

Given the increase per share in a buyout you'd probably get the whole of Viacom for $20 billion. Do you really think that Paramount, and the fifty bucks they contribute to the bottom line annually, are worth fully half of Viacom's worth?

I'd say on a good day Paramount, as a whole, is worth $3-5 billion.

Viacom's worth has declined in the past year due to the whole ordeal with Philippe Dauman, Sumner Redstone's legacy (voting shares, trust, Shari, etc.), ratings woes and Dish renewal. Their assets are highly valuable but the sideshow listed above has made Viacom share price, and consequently worth, cut in half.

Paramount is easily worth north of $5B+ (LionsGate was previously worth $5B at the height of Katniss' reign).

Paramount's slate was terrible in 2015, is mediocre for 2016. 2017 is solid as fuck with upcoming hits like Mission Impossible 6, WWZ2 & Transformers - that's what they are banking on. There's value in Paramount, but that won't be unlocked until 2017 hits, and China wants in.

Busty

Banned
Viacom's worth has declined in the past year due to the whole ordeal with Philippe Dauman, Sumner Redstone's legacy (voting shares, trust, Shari, etc.), ratings woes and Dish renewal. Their assets are highly valuable but the sideshow listed above has made Viacom share price, and consequently worth, cut in half.

Paramount is easily worth north of $5B+ (LionsGate was previously worth $5B at the height of Katniss' reign).

Paramount's slate was terrible in 2015, is mediocre for 2016. 2017 is solid as fuck with upcoming hits like Mission Impossible 6, WWZ2 & Transformers - that's what they are banking on. There's value in Paramount, but that won't be unlocked until 2017 hits, and China wants in.

Granted, but Lionsgate has a good TV unit, Paramount's has barely gotten any traction since it was resurrected apart from a few co-pro deals and event mini series such as The Alienist on TNT.

Paramount is a shadow of its former self and while it does have an international distribution network, unlike Lionsgate, it simply doesn't have the infrastructure in place at the moment to even think about competing with the likes of Warners never mind Disney.

Paramount's slate is still paper thin except for the usual talent heavy projects where they pay a fortune to a star like Cruise or Pitt and the Transformers franchise, which isn't a studio owned IP, which pays a fortune of its profits to Spielberg and Bay.

Paramount needs a creative rebirth and it's going to take time and money to get there. And before it does any of that it's still no where near worth $10b.

vinnygambini

Granted, but Lionsgate has a good TV unit, Paramount's has barely gotten any traction since it was resurrected apart from a few co-pro deals and event mini series such as The Alienist on TNT.

Paramount is a shadow of its former self and while it does have an international distribution network, unlike Lionsgate, it simply doesn't have the infrastructure in place at the moment to even think about competing with the likes of Warners never mind Disney.

Paramount's slate is still paper thin except for the usual talent heavy projects where they pay a fortune to a star like Cruise or Pitt and the Transformers franchise, which isn't a studio owned IP, which pays a fortune of its profits to Spielberg and Bay.

Paramount needs a creative rebirth and it's going to take time and money to get there. And before it does any of that it's still no where near worth $10b.

For sure, I don't disagree with that, but my point was really about that $2B valuation lol :p

And don't you worry TMNT will save them!

Edit: Agreed on LionsGate, they have a solid TV operations. Berlin Station on Epix coming up from Paramount is looking like a winner though in addition to The Alienist.

Busty

Banned
For sure, I don't disagree with that, but my point was really about that $2B valuation lol :p

Relative to the crashing share price, when the market value of Viacom was hovering around $14b, that's not a totally inaccurate valuation. Viacom is cable asset heavy, Paramount is a small, but high profile, piece of the machine.

And don't you worry TMNT will save them!

You know what, it probably fucking will.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The hell with it, I'm down for MASK at the very least. It could make a fun take on over the top superspy action.

ROM could actually be really good if done right, even without being connected to the Marvel Universe. Play him as a Terminator, relentless and scary, except his targets are evil.

A MASK movie huh? I see you Hollywood. You have my attention.

EDIT: Lol I just remembered what Visionaries was after looking at that key art. I had a couple of those.

Akahige

What is this the 5th Cinematic Universe announced in the past 2 years?

When is Fox going to announce their's?

Anyway, I'd love an honest adaptation of G.I. Joe, maybe with less cheese.

Elginer

NFWLDrz.png

So basically everything old is new again. Damn, Hollywood has a mad lust for he 80s. Where's my Punky Brewster reboot?

Dabanton

I never really understood why Bayformers and the GI Joe movies didn't explicitly take place in the same universe.

Should've already had a crossover at this point.

Seriously needs to happen The first two Transformers movies were basically Transformer /GI Joeesqe soldiers anyway.

The Rock + Transformers in the same movie is literally printing money.

Maybe Hasbro/Paramount can release a version of Jem that doesn't completely bastardize the property. Off the walls 80's Jem would be perfect for the HCU, and add a bit more diversity to the character line up.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oh boy, a MASK movie. I can't wait to see someone attempt to say the name "Ali Bombay" with a straight face.

DedValve

Banned
Step 1: Notice that a trend has been made by some trendsetters and has been the trend for several years.

Step 2: Notice how this trend seems almost universally monopolized by the trendsetter and very few others who where quick and talented enough to truly understand the trendsetters and follow the trend.

Step 3: Ignore step 1 and 2 and enter the trend several years after the trend has been tried and failed many times. Equip terrible IP's that wouldn't really fit the trend and force the trend on it.

Step 4: ???

Step 5: Repeat step 4 until out of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom