• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Accounts that have spent less than $5 on Steam now have limited access

Cipherr

Yeah, this seems reasonable. I'm tired of getting harangued by spambots every day sending me friend invites.

Its gotten bad. I get them pretty often from these bullshit accounts woith these messages like "My friend was trying to trade with you, CLICK THIS SHADY LINK BRO"

Fuck that noise.

BraXzy

Thank god, I hate getting friend requests every day from spambots. Personally, I think it should be $10 or above but I'm glad Valve is doing something about all those accounts.

Yup, as sucky as it might be for the odd person who is genuinely a F2P person.. Having fallen for a phish before, I'm glad they are acting upon it.

I get spam requests daily from people it's ridiculous.

sueil

If you have never spent 5 dollars on steam I am sure valve gives no fucks about you nor should they. 5 dollars is basically nothing.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Good, wish it was a bit more though. I get level 0 bots spamming me almost every day. Even though it's a pretty minor annoyance, I hope this works.

Par Score

Great move.

The amount of spam was getting out of control, and anyone not willing to spend $5 on Steam at some point isn't worth the hassle anyway.

I'm sure Valve will continue to monitor this (they love their metrics after all) and will increase the 'buy in' if necessary.

Acinixys

If you have never spent 5 dollars on steam I am sure valve gives no fucks about you nor should they. 5 dollars is basically nothing.

8.5 million concurrent users all spending $5 is $42 500 000

Thats 42.5 Million dollars

Which is not nothing

Even to a company like Valve

Enosh

I don't buy games over steam since a) I have no credit card and b) even I had steam games are usually around 5-10€ more expensive apart from sales

so basically I'm locked out of some shit because of that...

vazel

Banned
Good move by Valve.

I hope one day they clamp down on people that invite others to rage/joke groups. Being able to opt-out of getting invited to steam groups should be a basic steam option.

foltzie1

I am certain there are those for whom $5 is a lot of money, but I cannot imagine those individuals also play loads of computer games. Computers and the associated components cost money.

MUnited83

For you.

Which is not nothing

More like 12.75 million instead, as the 5$ can be spent on non-Valve games so only 30% would actually go to them.

BlackJet

Plenty of those F2P games limit communication and community features for free players. There are good reasons for that.

I still think it's a bit of an overreaction and imo should be limited to new accounts.

I use Steam to play just tf2 with friends and I guess I won't be doing that anymore. I shouldn't have to pay $5 just to play a f2p game. Of course a lot of people will say "There are so many other games to play on Steam!", but I don't want to play those games or I can't. I have a laptop that struggles to play most games.

I know some said earlier that if you put a few hours into the game then Valve deserves that money. No, they don't. Many other f2p have done just fine without $5. A business has to prove to the consumer that they deserve it. I have no use for Steam other than playing tf2.

sueil

Which is not nothing

All the people in the thread saying they use steam all the time and never spent a dime and only play f2p or humble bundle games and are so mad about this paywall. If you haven't spent 5 dollars by now then who cares about you. 1000 hours played in games and 5 dollars is too much to ask?

Right or wrong, the only people this will anger are people who don't give Valve any money, also known as people that Valve can afford to piss off.

Sendou

I still think it's a bit of an overreaction and imo should be limited to new accounts.

I use Steam to play just tf2 with friends and I guess I won't be doing that anymore. I shouldn't have to pay $5 just to play a f2p game. Of course a lot of people will say "There are so many other games to play on Steam!", but I don't want to play those games or I can't. I have a laptop that struggles to play most games.

I know some said earlier that if you put a few hours into the game then Valve deserves that money. No, they don't. Many other f2p have done just fine without $5. A business has to prove to the consumer that they deserve it. I have no use for Steam other than playing tf2.

Nobody is stopping you from playing Team Fortress 2 with your friends.

foltzie1

Which is not nothing

This assumes accounts who haven't already spent $5.

How many people who aren't spam bots gets caught in this change? I would argue 1% is a more than liberal figure. So knock that figure down $425K, which while still not nothing isn't enough to make this profit motivated.

This is clearly a quality consideration for their actual customers.

Come on, that is bullshit. If you still want to play TF2 after all these years, Valve has more than proved they deserve $5 from you.

BlackJet

Nobody is stopping you from playing Team Fortress 2 with your friends.

I won't be able to use mobile and browser chat. That is my primary means of communication with friends.

Don't get me wrong. I think spam bots are a pain in the ass and I think it's great that something is being done. I just wish it was done differently.

BPoole

I don't buy games over steam since a) I have no credit card and b) even I had steam games are usually around 5-10€ more expensive apart from sales

so basically I'm locked out of some shit because of that...
You can buy Steam gift cards at several retail stores

Kritz

Banned
Thankfully $5 isn't too much for people who run legitimate bots, although I'm sure there'll be some other small ramifications that come into effect from this change.

It'll be harder to make dota 2 smurf accounts, for one. >_>

Pretty unreasonable. I have a Steam account purely for TF2, which I got for free. I have no other interest in Steam and will never buy a game.

Now I can't add people if I decide to play it again.

Buy two keys, then trade them at tf2wh.com for some hatz.

You'll upgrade both your TF2 and Steam account.

BlackJet

Come on, that is bullshit. If you still want to play TF2 after all these years, Valve has more than proved they deserve $5 from you.

I don't know what you mean by "all these years". I started playing tf2 since last October.

I still don't think I will give them $5. I'm not in a position where I can spend money like it's nothing.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know what you mean by "all these years". I started playing tf2 since last October.

I still don't think I will give them $5. I'm not in a position where I can spend money like it's nothing.

I feel your pain, even over what is a measly amount according to some people.

Valve already takes anywhere from 20 to 30% cut depending on who you talk to from every game sale on Steam. I bet they made a killing just from the GTAV launch. Even with their massive data usage, they have no need to have a monthly fee.

If I was forced to bet, I'd bet that steam will have a subscription charge in the next 10 years.

jgf

Dude its $5 not $50. People pay that on a monthly basis for psn and Xbox live. Not all of them make it to the Forbes 500, but still manage to pay that fee. Valve just asks once for $5 to give you unlimited access to their online infrastructure. That's really not outrageous.

Ok so 6 months of fun for nothing and you want to keep playing.

Just spend the damn $5.

Valve already takes anywhere from 20 to 30% cut depending on who you talk to from every game sale on Steam. I bet they made a killing just from the GTAV launch. Even with their massive data usage, they have no need to have a monthly fee.

This is in line with every other digital store front though e.g. Google Play Store, App store etc.

Top Bottom