• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare |OT| Not a lake, a primordial ocean.

derFeef

VPwpX.png

lFkQu.png

NrQg9.png

UQPM4.png
Developer: Remedy Entertainment
UQPM4.png
Release Platform: XBOX Live Arcade
UQPM4.png
Price: 1200 MS Points
UQPM4.png
Release Date: 22. February 2012

3i5jF.png

In this brand new standalone experience, Alan Wake fights the herald of darkness, the evil Mr. Scratch!
A thrilling new storyline, hordes of creepy enemies, serious firepower and beautiful Arizona locations, combined
with a fun and challenging new game mode make this a must for Alan Wake veterans, and the perfect jumping
on point for new players! Play the full-fledged Story Mode, and you’ll be on the edge of your seat as you fight to
stop your murderous evil double to take back your life... and change reality itself!
But there’s more to this nightmare – in the action-packed Arcade Mode, you’ll need to master the Fight with Light mechanic
to stay alive until dawn and beat your friends on the Leaderboards. Can you survive until sunrise?​
lFkQu.png

OChFT.png

zEJhS.png

After the events of Alan Wake, our eponymous hero finds himself in the middle of a new adventure in Arizona,
where his own words again hold the key to defeating his evil twin, the malevolent Mr. Scratch, who spreads darkness where he goes.
Now more experienced at dealing with the weird and horrific, Wake is determined to turn the tide.

While the first game took the Stephen King/Lost combination, American Nightmare takes the
Tarantino’s From Dusk Till Dawn/Pulp Fiction combination. Unlike the main game, Alan Wake's American Nightmare
is told in the format of a Night Springs episode, and it's not Alan himself narrating the game, but in fact the narrator
for Night Springs himself. However, the episode has been explained to have been written by Alan.

The main story mode in Alan Wake’s American Nightmare is part of the ‘Night Springs’ TV show fiction and offers an
exaggerated pulp action adventure where the horrors of reality have the all too easy habit of coming true.
Alan Wake finds himself stuck in an altered reality filled with dangerous shadows; he must leap into
action and pursue his evil doppelganger, Mr. Scratch, across the Arizona mesa towards the town of Night Springs.
Scratch, a supernatural serial killer, has his evil plans set on Wake’s wife, Alice. Wake must learn to control reality
itself and unravel the secret to Mr. Scratch’s demise while using the power of light to put an end to the darkness.
iEvJu.png

Y5nlD.png

Players must survive a full night of enemy onslaughts while racking up their score. With loads of new enemies to battle,
players will require a deep arsenal of weapons; from old stalwarts like the flare gun to wild new favorites like the nail gun
and old school Remedy favorites like the Uzi. Thankfully, safe havens and unlockable weapons dot the landscape,
allowing for a momentary respite from the darkest of nights. Surviving until dawn is only the beginning
as online leaderboards pit friends head to head to see who the real champion of light is.

Maps:
UQPM4.png
Trailer Park
UQPM4.png
Ghost Town
UQPM4.png
Cemetery
UQPM4.png
Caves
UQPM4.png
Oil Field​
O4LDq.png

jD2in.png

UQPM4.png
New weapons like a combat shotgun, uzi, crossbow, carbine rifle and the infamous nail gun.
UQPM4.png
Refined Fight with Light combat.
UQPM4.png
Technical improvements (FXAA plus a higher resolution, selectable Vsync option)
UQPM4.png
New enemy types to keep the player on it's toes.
UQPM4.png
Lot's of new TV's (FMV) and Manuscript pages to collect.
UQPM4.png
A new Poets of the Fall song.
iEvJu.png

qneKX.png

Asj5N.png

UQPM4.png
American Nightmare hoodie (Meet Emma.)
UQPM4.png
Old Gods of Asgard tour T-shirt (Complete story mode.)
UQPM4.png
Night Springs T-shirt (Unlock the first Nightmare difficulty Arcade level.)

i6xQu.png

Escape! -
Escape the Taken to the motel.
10G
Rewrite -
Rewrite reality for the first time.
10G
Cool It -
Make sure Dr. Meadows can take another look at the skies.
20G
Happy Ending -
Rewrite reality for the last time.
25G
Glorious Dawn -
Survive until dawn in any Arcade Mode level.
10G
Poetry in Motion -
Get a six-minute survivor streak and over 100,000 points in an Arcade level.
20G
Enter the Nightmare -
Unlock all of the Nightmare Arcade Mode levels.
10G
Skill Beats Gun -
Survive an Arcade level using nothing but the flashlight and handheld flares.
10G
Survivor -
Get 70,000 points in any Nightmare Arcade level.
30G
Split Splat! -
Take out two Splitter spawns with a single shot.
15G
One Day I'll Buy a Stapler -
Find all of the manuscript pages.
20G
Pile 'Em High -
Defeat 2,000 Taken.
20G​

lFkQu.png

CPL7A.png

jSIM4.png

UQPM4.png
Announcement Trailer (extended)
UQPM4.png
Development Diary 1
UQPM4.png
Development Diary 2
UQPM4.png
Development Diary 3
UQPM4.png
Mr. Scratch the psycho
UQPM4.png
Launch Trailer
iEvJu.png

VX0ig.png

I7crC.jpg
pnASl.jpg
cxFXo.jpg
MQoHL.jpg
DPiIX.jpg
TP0QC.jpg
ODnQd.jpg
BZLzE.jpg

iEvJu.png

iQO9a.png

iEvJu.png

JlcRg.png

Thanks to​
UQPM4.png
Every contributor of the Alan Wake Wiki.
UQPM4.png
SteeloDMZ for the avatars.
UQPM4.png
GAF <3
UQPM4.png
And of course Remedy.
lFkQu.png

JdAEV.png

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Nice ot. I guess this isn't too off-topic in asking but considering the dawn of the release of Alan Wake on steam - has there been any hints on whether or not this will be coming to PC as well?

You forgot to include your Mr. Scratch gif!

4805a648.gif

I'm strangely excited about this game even though the first one wore out its welcome with me about half way through. Bring it on!

theRizzle

Great OT. Alan Wake Collector's Edition was the first game I've purchased new on Day 1 in years, and don't regret it at all. Yes, there was some stuff in the game that was disappointing, the but atmosphere was not one of those things.

Beat it three times, but I only played through the DLC once each. I might have to go back to those before picking this up.

derFeef

Nice ot. I guess this isn't too off-topic in asking but considering the dawn of the release of Alan Wake on steam - has there been any hints on whether or not this will be coming to PC as well?

They have clearly ruled out PS3, but not PC. My guess is yes - sooner or later.

You forgot to include your Mr. Scratch gif!

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/derFeef/gifs/Alanwake/th_4805a648.gif

I'm strangely excited about this game even though the first one wore out its welcome with me about half way through. Bring it on!

;-) (remove the th_ from img for larger version)

Zoibie

Nice OT. Loved the first game, although it didn't click with me as much when trying to replay it. Will be all over this day 1.

I find this game scary.
I found the first one to be too repetetive and the combat mechanics to be weak.
Now they seem to have focused mainly on combat which is not what the now "Series" is about.
Hoping for the best

Feindflug

I already have my points ready for a day one purchase...I loved AW and I can't wait to also play this one, hopefully the game will do good sales wise this time.

BTW nice work on the OT derFeef. :)

Excellent OT, dude! Great thread title as well.

Hyped for AN. Pretty much bought an X-Box just for the first game, good to finally get more use out of it.

Replacing my Max avatar with Mr. Scratch for a while in celebration:

pnASl.jpg

Ohhh man... well anyone that knows me well enough knows Alan Wake is one of my favorite games ever so it pains me I will not be able to play this till the summer when I return home from my job. My home being Arizona, I love that this stand alone takes place there! :D

Alan Wake was easily my favorite single player game I have ever played, the story and atmosphere really pulled me into the world and it was just an incredible experience. I can't wait to play this and then Alan Wake 2!!!!! So come on GAF, get hyped now, very under-rated game around here so come on!!!!

BiggNife

I really want this to be good

But I'm kind of worried about the claims that this game has a much bigger focus on gameplay rather than story

The reason I loved Alan Wake was because of the story

I really want this to be good

But I'm kind of worried about the claims that this game has a much bigger focus on gameplay rather than story

The reason I loved Alan Wake was because of the story

Remedy has said, there are plenty of things within the game for fans of the story and franchise for players to discover, also from the little TV shows with Mr. Scratch, I'm not all too worried about the story. I know it won't be Alan Wake 1 quality, but I still think it will be pretty good.

derFeef

i'm pretty sure they'll be happy with what they see though. the tech in Max Payne 3 looks really good.

Looks good and certainly plays well too, but I am not sure about the rest. We'll see.

edit: just read on the forums that AWAN will have english voices only with subtitles for the other supported languages.

Top Bottom