• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare |OT| Not a lake, a primordial ocean.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, finally made it out. That was mean.

Numpt3

Just got to the
observatory for the second time.
Loving it so far, Mr Scratch is awesome as expected.

Will try some of the arcade mode later I think.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I was having a bit of trouble there too. Took me a while to figure out where to go.

Turns out I missed a semi-open fence. Passed it so many times thinking it was just a wall. Getting mad
DMC4
vibes now in terms of pacing and progression tactics.

Lima

So what is the deal with the manuscript pages? Can you get all of them the first during the first go? Cause I feel like I've been fucking everywhere around the rest stop and I'm still missing 3 of them.

Yeah, so this is really good. Combat is much better (through some small changes), looks great, and I'm absolutely loving the vibe.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
bought and in my que - cant wait to play after work, maybe i'll wait till dark =)

So what is the deal with the manuscript pages? Can you get all of them the first during the first go? Cause I feel like I've been fucking everywhere around the rest stop and I'm still missing 3 of them.

dont know the answer for sure, but it may be like in AW where you have to play on nightmare to find all of them

Lima

dont know the answer for sure, but it may be like in AW where you have to play on nightmare to find all of them

There is no difficulty setting for the story mode, so I doubt that. Only thing I can think of is that you maybe have to collect some during the action mode.

Or maybe I'm just blind and ran past them already...

AEREC

Always on vertical sync is pretty taxing, the game can really slow down with it. I think I'll stick to smart. Still, thanks for making it an option, Remedy. <3

It's awesome that they put this in..I cant stand image tearing but I also cant stand low framerates.

Im playing through AW1 on PC now and will probably get AWAN once Ive finished with the DLCs.

KageMaru

I finished AW1 but haven't played any of the DLC. Should I wait until I finish the DLC before diving into this? Would love to be able to play this as soon as I get home tonight, thanks guys.

U2NUMB

Ok so these impressions are really making me want to buy it. Problem is I never even came close to finishing the first. Was just not in a good mood to play that type of game.

So my question is.. how long is the first game if I intend to plow through it on an easier setting? I really want to finish that game first if they have improved the controls and so forth because going back would not be fun.

AEREC

Ok so these impressions are really making me want to buy it. Problem is I never even came close to finishing the first. Was just not in a good mood to play that type of game.

So my question is.. how long is the first game if I intend to plow through it on an easier setting? I really want to finish that game first if they have improved the controls and so forth because going back would not be fun.

About 12-15 hours on normal (easiest setting).

I thought the combat depth and enemy variety in the original Alan Wake was severely lacking. I felt like you learned everything about Alan Wake's combat within the first encounter and that Remedy never switched up the challenge (beyond throwing larger groups of enemies at you). I want to purchase the full XBLA game, but what's the early consensus on the depth of the combat? Is it no longer brain dead simple? Are the guns interesting this time? The combat sure does look better in the trailers!

I thought the combat depth and enemy variety in the original Alan Wake was severely lacking. I felt like you learned everything about Alan Wake's combat within the first encounter and that Remedy never switched up the challenge (beyond throwing larger groups of enemies at you). I want to purchase the full XBLA game, but what's the early consensus on the depth of the combat? Is it no longer brain dead simple? Are the guns interesting this time? The combat sure does look better in the trailers!

It isn't that different from the 2010 game on the face of it, but it feels really different. Perhaps it's just the balance, but I'm enjoying the combat a lot more this time round.

Scanna

i'm liking it too, even if it's too easy and it hasn't "caught" me with the story so far...you land in arizona without knowing how and why and you start to do some fetch quests. period.
although i'm loving it as far as graphics and gameplay

Elginer

Couple of questions:

1) Any word on a PC version?

2) Are the graphics improved from the original 360 game?

Remedy pretty much confirmed it will come out at some point on PC

Yes, they are better. Also they added HUD options and Vsync on all the time or Smart. Besides that, animations are better and overall it just looks crisper. Not gonna compete with your mighty PC but it looks damn fine.

Dennis

Banned
Remedy pretty much confirmed it will come out at some point on PC

Yes, they are better. Also they added HUD options and Vsync on all the time or Smart. Besides that, animations are better and overall it just looks crisper. Not gonna compete with your mighty PC but it looks damn fine.

Cool, thanks.

I'm waiting to play the story until later since I don't have much time now, but man is the arcade mode actually really fun. Only thing that would have made it better is if they would have included co-op, missed opportunity there.

Huh, they were bummed because it is no sequel, but other than that they very not at all negative. I am sure we are going to hear more in the coming bombcast.

Repeating areas, the third time of which feels super gimmicky?

That's a huge criticism for me. Sounds awful. Patrick seemed like it was a real drag.

derFeef

I don't really trust Bombcast opinions on games. I love the podcast and their personalities but the taste, well.

If you liked the original AW you should at least try the demo.

Well, he don't (or at least the formula went thin on him afaik).
I find it cool that it somehow get's expectations like from a full-price game, but at the same time I am already seeing a problem here in terms of misjudgement.

Grisby

Well, he don't (or at least the formula went thin on him afaik).
I find it cool that it somehow get's expectations like from a full-price game, but at the same time I am already seeing a problem here in terms of misjudgement.
I see that now and yeah, thats an interesting conundrum. I mean, I think its great that Remedy added a story mode when they really weren't even thinking of one with the initial concept in mind.

I don't really trust Bombcast opinions on games. I love the podcast and their personalities but the taste, well.

I'll probably try the demo but that progression just sounds awful to me.

I loved Alan Wake until the end when it got tedious with the combat encounters and the story got a bit too weird. Then the DLC was just more of the same repetitive stuff and I really went cold on the franchise.

I was on the fence about giving this a go, but playing the same stuff three times sounds like it was designed for me to not like it.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
A
Groundhog Day
release would have been perfect for this game.

True, it's fun listening to them and they're certainly informed enough, but I find their opinions lacking sometimes (not always though).

I'll probably try the demo but that progression just sounds awful to me.

I loved Alan Wake until the end when it got tedious with the combat encounters and the story got a bit too weird. Then the DLC was just more of the same repetitive stuff and I really went cold on the franchise.

I was on the fence about giving this a go, but playing the same stuff three times sounds like it was designed for me to not like it.

The way the story mode progresses is a bit contrived, but you're selling it short if that's all you're going to say about it. There's little differences each time you go through and it fits with the Twilight Zone episode type fiction they're going for. Also, it's a little over ten bucks, so I don't blame them too much for doing this, especially since they strike a decent balance in working with these restrictions.

So I think the achievement "Poetry in Motion" is glitched since I just completed an arcade level with over a six-minute survivor streak and over 100,000 points and I didn't get it. :(

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
About 12-15 hours on normal (easiest setting).

i would recommend against easy and go for at least medium. half the enjoyment of the game is actually being afraid of the taken, and i cant imagine on easy you'd get that same sense of dread with weaker enemies and more ammo. cant imagine it would tack on much time to your playthrough either, as there is only a few spots that you could potentially die and have to retry.

I can't believe I didn't notice this right away,
it's the Bird Leg Cabin that's sinking at the beginning of the "Rest Stop" episode.
Not much of a spoiler, but still pretty cool.

Just finished it. Can't say I was too much of a fan of the structure of the game and how it plays out, but everything I loved from the first one - atmosphere, dark/light, gunplay - is here and as enjoyable as before.

Had a few issues with the audio repeating itself when characters were talking now and again, and there were more than a few moments that the actual voice acting seemed a bit poor, but overall I had a good time with it. Onto Arcade mode next!

Lima

So can someone at Remedy please tell me what they were thinking about the difficulty for the story mode? Seriously this is such a huge turn off. If you don't like your players getting challenged, put in an easy mode but don't force this bullshit on me and give the option to play on hard or nightmare.

You always run around fully loaded and I never feel, well pretty much what op_ivy just said.

demonicmurry

Neo Member
Is hard mode not a selectable option right off the bat this time around? I remember it was in Alan Wake. Seems odd that they would change that for American Nightmare. Though I do wish I could have just selected Nightmare mode and not be forced to play the game twice (even though I wanted to anyways).

Lima

Is hard mode not a selectable option right off the bat this time around? I remember it was in Alan Wake. Seems odd that they would change that for American Nightmare. Though I do wish I could have just selected Nightmare mode and not be forced to play the game twice (even though I wanted to anyways).

There is no difficulty setting for the story mode at all.

Just finished it, very impressed. It was a little too easy though.

So... is the ending real or not? :p

How long did it take? I am on the fence with getting it. I just want to know how long it will take. I think I am more attracted to a shorter game, oddly, since I have so much to do this week.

Numpt3

How long did it take? I am on the fence with getting it. I just want to know how long it will take. I think I am more attracted to a shorter game, oddly, since I have so much to do this week.

It took me about 3 or 4 hours, and I like to explore every nook and cranny in games. Short and sweet.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it, very impressed. It was a little too easy though.

So... is the ending real or not? :p

The manuscript pages explain a lot of the smaller stuff this time around.

Top Bottom