• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Albert Penello puts dGPU Xbox One rumor to rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vizzeh

Banned
Are you kidding? I mean really - are you kidding?

This is part and parcel of the territory here. You have to answer for your statements, especially if you're here in an official capacity. People get banned for being out of line, but poking holes in the arguments of other posters is well within the rules.

I've had my work here both praised and eviscerated, called out by numerous forum folks both publicly and via PM when I got stuff wrong, and I'm a goddamn admin. Guess what - I wouldn't have it any other way. That is what makes NeoGAF what it is.

There are many, many people who are more than capable of assessing, vetting and debunking technical claims and they have every right to do so. That's the price of doing business here. If we had official Nintendo or Sony reps on board, they would be subject to the same process.

If you're scared, buy a dog.

That deserves front page sticky - great to hear that from an admin. :)
What makes Neogaf great and relentless

Skeff

Don't you know that the 176GB/s figure from Sony is also theoretical maximum? How come its Ok for Sony to list peak, but eSram could only list the "guaranteed".

Serious question

because the "guaranteed" isn't guaranteed, 109gb/s is still the Theoretical maximum bandwith on a uni-directional bus, Microsoft say they can suddenly read and write during the same clock cycle in some situations and cited the maximum they had achieved was 133gb/s. Sony's Theoretical maximum is also a uni-directional bus at 176gb/s and they can achieve 176gb/s in the same way the XB1 can achieve the 109gb/s.

The simultaneous read/write at 200gb/s is completely theoretical where as the 176gb/s in PS4, just as the 109 gb/s or the 68gb/s in the XB1 are both reasonable expectations.

tl:dr
176 is fine
68 is fine
109 is fine
200gb/s+ is not close.
Also you don't just add them up.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm surprised too. "Some" folks here see everything through "playstation blue" sunglasses. So it wouldn't matter what he says they try to spin it. Thats the internet for you though. They are able to hide behind avatars and made up screen names, while Albert Penello is an office Microsoft employee who is making public statement and would have a whole lot more to lose if he was just making sh*t up. But I digress.
Give me a fucking break.

Oh and go read bish's post above.

Are you kidding? I mean really - are you kidding?

This is part and parcel of the territory here. You have to answer for your statements, especially if you're here in an official capacity. People get banned for being out of line, but poking holes in the arguments of other posters is well within the rules.

I've had my work here both praised and eviscerated, called out by numerous forum folks both publicly and via PM when I got stuff wrong, and I'm a goddamn admin. Guess what - I wouldn't have it any other way. That is what makes NeoGAF what it is.

There are many, many people who are more than capable of assessing,

vetting and debunking technical claims and they have every right to do so. That's the price of doing business here. If we had official Nintendo or Sony reps on board, they would be subject to the same process.

Thank you. This. Is. Neogaf.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80542457&postcount=366

● War Thunder Dev: PS4 GPU 40% more Powerful
● Adrian C., Former People Can Fly Creative Director: PS4 has 50% speed superiority over XBO
● Forbes: Developer says PS4 is 40% more powerful than Xbox One and Call of Duty Ghosts will be noticeably different out of the gate.
● Avalance Games: "The Specs would seem to favor PS4 on paper."

You're seriously listing that last one? Shirley can't be serious...

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Where are these reports? Did Carmack state this? The man is a genius, I'll go by whatever he states.
I am not aware of Carmack stating anything since what was posted above.

The most compelling report to me is by heise.de towards c't editors. (With 241,000 subscriptions it is the computer magazine with the most subscribers in Europe.)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657221
"Behind the scenes, c't could hear from developers that the 3D-performance of PlayStation 4 is very far ahead of Xbox One."

VanWinkle

I'm surprised too. "Some" folks here see everything through "playstation blue" sunglasses. So it wouldn't matter what he says they try to spin it. Thats the internet for you though. They are able to hide behind avatars and made up screen names, while Albert Penello is an office Microsoft employee who is making public statement and would have a whole lot more to lose if he was just making sh*t up. But I digress.

Please stop the persecution complex and realize that some people know their stuff and see many mistakes in what Albert said. Not even necessarily about specs, since we don't know both companies' specs, but the math is all wrong.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't really been following this but why is MS making such a big deal about this now when they were proudly proclaiming back during the reveal that they purposefully did not target the high-end graphics?

Because that original proclamation was itself an attempt to spin a significant deficit.

Spongebob

Banned
Persecution complex to the max.

Wasn't it a mistexmedia rumour? Did anyone really expect it to be true?
Maybe Reiko did, lol.

MdsuCAK.png

Man, reading that Albert post just blows my mind how much disinformation is contained in there.

kyoakuma

Banned
I dont care if the xbone was more powerful, $100 more for a "feature" i'll never use, drm infruastructure that is still present, 180 after 180, im never buying this pos.

not to mention most of the exclusives i was interested in are on PC anyway

I don't know if I should laugh or not that a PR guy decided to downplay a 50% difference in CU count and then doubled down on a 6%.... clock difference. This guy just had a jump the shark moment.

USC-fan

Banned
It would have to have separate read and write ports. SRAM cells with 2 ports do exist. In fact, SRAM cells with way more ports exist (usually main register files).

If the eSRAM can indeed do simultaneous reads and writes, that just means that each SRAM cell in the design has a read port and a write port and separate read and write busses.

Not exactly exotic tech, but it would mean an additional two transistors per SRAM cell.
But it doesnt have that. If it did then the max BW would be double 104 GB/s and it would have been design that way. You just find you can read and write at the last minute. Unless MS hardware team doesnt have a clue what they are designing.

Its just SCREAM we need a number that higher than PS4.

FINALBOSS

Banned

Bish just told you why you wouldn't be surprised.

No one is making fun of him...what they are doing is poking holes in his factually incorrect post. Not even just factually incorrect...BLATANTLY wrong and misleading....on purpose.

But we expect nothing less from you.

Finalizer

At this point, Penello's gonna need a pack of angry bears at his beck and call...

Which is basically just my point. Why open himself (and MS in general) up to the criticism? Even I can see the holes in the logic, and the convenient omissions. What good does putting himself, an MS rep, personally into the conversation do for MS?

beast786

To be fair, most of those were basing that completely off specs and not on what the hardware is actually capable of.

How do you know that . And even if its that, developers have good idea how spec relates to real life especially since most are working on games for both system.

In fact these dev know much more than Albert because they have both machines with them

The PS4 should be stronger on day 1 than the Xbox One. It has more raw power and the more straightforward architecture.

On November 22nd the difference that will be measurable will be said to not be significant and "oh so they are comparable after all" not realizing that both will continue to be optimized with the PS4 being a bit more future-proof IMO with the emphasis on GPGPU.
(Fully hUMA / more ACE / libGNM vs. DX11. The last one is just an assumption that this gen repeats itself.)

Maybe I'm an absolute pessimist, but my thought is that a lot of third party devs targeted PCs with only a generalized idea of where the console power would lie. Once they found out the reality, they did their best to get the game running at serviceable performance, and left it at that. A lot of optimization won't be done on each specific console because why bother as long as it is sufficient? Now that the tech is known, devs can start working on their engines to find better and easier ways to optimize going forward, but crunching on it for launch games isn't worthwhile. Therefore, I don't think there will be a serious performance differential regardless of the better hardware.

As time goes on, devs use the tricks they learn and spend more time optimizing, but I think that means the actual performance difference will be seen in your second wave of games. (The ones that got started after official dev kits went out.) Like I said, maybe that's total pessimism, but I believe it will lead to a lot of peopled yelling, "SEE THERE'S NO DIFFERENCE," and others yelling, "YOU HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL LATER!" I think the later is the logical conclusion, but regardless, I think it means many more inane debates based on information that means very little.

(Edit: Which, after rereading your post, it sounds like you actually agree with this idea.)

Like this?

JgMzOMl.png

AND... Scene. Well played.

There are comments based on a lack of evidence from all sides. This is precisely why we shouldn't be waiting to see benchmarks and other actual performance tests with verifiable data.

Putting aside the technical questions for a moment, here's a couple of other elements that can be assembled.

- Albert feels it necessary to come out on Twitter to say the difference is exaggerated.
- Albert feels it necessary to come into NeoGAF to make sure he's not overstepping the bounds or pushing it too far, but adds technical details about Xbone's performance and design.
- Microsoft have made several performance gains in the months before release and made sure the world knows about it. This is compared to their detail-less reveal.
- Developers are happy to say that PS4 is 40, 50 more powerful, no developers have yet praised the tuning of the Xbox One as being so amazing that it negates the performance advantage.

The only reasonable conclusion is that inside Microsoft, they're worried about what we think of the machine's performance. Obviously.

The worst part? Even rabid fanchildren know that performance doesn't underwrite game performance the way it used to. Multiplatform games will likely be engineered to a similar level and only a few games will escape that reality. Why would Microsoft be so concerned about the gaming culture's perception of performance when the games look just as good at present, with a couple of arguable exceptions?

We will find out if there's a huge difference in a couple of months, there's little that can be done about it then.

jjasper

Muddy the waters enough and you might confuse casuals (or just gamers who don't know a lot of tech stuff) into not believing that PS4 is actually stronger. I'm sure that's the overall goal anyway.

As someone who knows next to nothing about this stuff hearing what developers say means more than anything. MS can say whatever they want but as long as developers continue to say things like 40% more powerful I will believe that.

In the end I don't really care but I eagerly await the sequel to Major Nelson's completely unbiased look at the 360 and PS3.

At this point, Penello's gonna need a pack of angry bears at his beck and call...

Which is basically just my point. Why open himself (and MS in general) up to the criticism? Even I can see the holes in the logic, and the convenient omissions. What good does putting himself, an MS rep, personally into the conversation do for MS?

People have pointed out that MS (seemingly) only started gaining interest in GAF after the DRM fiasco. I wouldn't be at all surprised that they didn't know what kind of a den of truth wolves they were jumping into and were hoping to that the spin would trickle down from the "hardcore" to their more casual friends.

I deleted half of it. I think I need to do it again.

edit: Albert, I just don't understand how you have the details on Sony's hardware to make these statements. What am I missing?

Likely did the obvious. Probably asked and found out from developers personally.

People have pointed out that MS (seemingly) only started gaining interest in GAF after the DRM fiasco. I wouldn't be at all surprised that they didn't know what kind of a den of truth hornets they were jumping into and were hoping to that the spin would trickle down from the "hardcore" to their more casual friends.

People from MS have been posting on here directly and participating on the forums for years now. The MS is newly interested in GAF storyline that people are trying to push doesn't square with the facts. Or have you already forgotten the Jeff Bell incident? Or the countless interactions we've had with people like Frankie, both when he was in Bungie, and also when he made the move over to 343 to help steer the Halo franchise.

badb0y

I see my statements the other day caused more of a stir than I had intended. I saw threads locking down as fast as they pop up, so I apologize for the delayed response.

I was hoping my comments would lead the discussion to be more about the games (and the fact that games on both systems look great) as a sign of my point about performance, but unfortunately I saw more discussion of my credibility.

So I thought I would add more detail to what I said the other day, that perhaps people can debate those individual merits instead of making personal attacks. This should hopefully dismiss the notion I'm simply creating FUD or spin.

I do want to be super clear: I'm not disparaging Sony. I'm not trying to diminish them, or their launch or what they have said. But I do need to draw comparisons since I am trying to explain that the way people are calculating the differences between the two machines isn't completely accurate. I think I've been upfront I have nothing but respect for those guys, but I'm not a fan of the mis-information about our performance.

So, here are couple of points about some of the individual parts for people to consider:

• 18 CU's vs. 12 CU's =/= 50% more performance. Multi-core processors have inherent inefficiency with more CU's, so it's simply incorrect to say 50% more GPU.
• Adding to that, each of our CU's is running 6% faster. It's not simply a 6% clock speed increase overall.
• We have more memory bandwidth. 176gb/sec is peak on paper for GDDR5. Our peak on paper is 272gb/sec. (68gb/sec DDR3 + 204gb/sec on ESRAM). ESRAM can do read/write cycles simultaneously so I see this number mis-quoted.
• We have at least 10% more CPU. Not only a faster processor, but a better audio chip also offloading CPU cycles.
• We understand GPGPU and its importance very well. Microsoft invented Direct Compute, and have been using GPGPU in a shipping product since 2010 - it's called Kinect.
• Speaking of GPGPU - we have 3X the coherent bandwidth for GPGPU at 30gb/sec which significantly improves our ability for the CPU to efficiently read data generated by the GPU.

Hopefully with some of those more specific points people will understand where we have reduced bottlenecks in the system. I'm sure this will get debated endlessly but at least you can see I'm backing up my points.

I still I believe that we get little credit for the fact that, as a SW company, the people designing our system are some of the smartest graphics engineers around – they understand how to architect and balance a system for graphics performance. Each company has their strengths, and I feel that our strength is overlooked when evaluating both boxes.

Given this continued belief of a significant gap, we're working with our most senior graphics and silicon engineers to get into more depth on this topic. They will be more credible then I am, and can talk in detail about some of the benchmarking we've done and how we balanced our system.

Thanks again for letting my participate. Hope this gives people more background on my claims.
Hi Albert!

I don't mean to be rude but most of the stuff you post sounds like stuff we have been hearing from other people around the boards for a while now and almost none of it is technically correct or new.

Had this discussion been about PowerPC or some other PC architecture I would believe you but you have to realize that you are talking about architectures we have been familiar with for over 20 years and throwing out buzzwords and inaccurate numbers really doesn't help your argument.

I don't want to sound offensive but I just feel like Microsoft is trying to throw smoke in consumers' eyes for a while now. First, it was the power of the cloud that would help the Xbox One perform better, then it was the ESRAM, then it was Direct X 11.2, and now we have optimizations that will help the Xbox One get more out of the hardware.

We have had every third party acknowledge the difference and we have had 1 actually come out and say the difference in performance is around 50% so as you can see I am more inclined to believe a developer that's actually working on the games and doesn't really have a horse in the race.

I do appreciate you hanging around and talking to us though.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I'm surprised too. "Some" folks here see everything through "playstation blue" sunglasses.

These threads would improve greatly if people would not interpret every statement ad hominem or as a statement of console warfare but treat them as statements of fact that can be subject to critical thinking and rational discourse.

Even if we don't have the full system design specification of any console at our hands, the general technology and computer science involved is public knowledge. And many people here and not just armchair engineers, but make their living by working in those or related fields every day. This gives us a pretty damn good basis to discuss statements like the ones in this thread objectively and, maybe, learn something in the process and eliminate our misunderstandings. Tech is fascinating, and this fascination does not deserve to be spoiled by trying "to win".

Vizzeh

Banned
I guess some peoples opinion on Albert's statements being ripped apart as wrong need to ask themselves why they so blindly listen to what other people in power/authority say without asking why? We all have a brain, don't be a sheep. That goes for any situation in life.

You don't need to use someone else's opinion as fact, absorb/create your own.

statham

I know PS4 is more powerful, but I do think the XB1 has some advantages in some areas. but overall the PS4 is more powerful, I don't think any regular xbox fan on this site doubts this. It hasn't swayed my purchasing opinion, I'm excited to see what kinect can bring to the table.

I don't know if I should laugh or not that a PR guy decided to downplay a 50% difference in CU count and then doubled down on a 6%.... clock difference. This guy just had a jump the shark moment.

He claims that it's not a simple 6% increase.

It's a 6% increase per CU!...as though that makes a difference???

Using the logic he used for the memory bandwidth, that means 6% increase x 12 CU's = 72% increase, putting it well beyond the PS4!

stktt

Banned

I have to imagine it's a situation where someone who has been closely associated with the project for years doesn't want to downplay his creation. Albert's post are usually honest and do away with the PR speak, but he's not going to admit there's a significant difference in power, especially if that difference has a tendency to be exaggerated.

FINALBOSS

Banned
These threads would improve greatly if people would not interpret every statement ad hominem or as a statement of console warfare but treat them as statements of fact that can be subject to critical thinking and rational discourse.

Even if we don't have the full system design specification of any console at our hands, the general technology and computer science involved is public knowledge. And many people here and not just armchair engineers, but make their living by working in those or related fields every day. This gives us a pretty damn good basis to discuss statements like the ones in this thread objectively and, maybe, learn something in the process and eliminate our misunderstandings. Tech is fascinating, and this fascination does not deserve to be spoiled by trying "to win".

I honestly think a lot of people are used to game consoles being non-X86 so that secret sauce and all that jazz plays heavily in their minds. Unfortunately for them this time around, both systems ARE based on x86 and we have technical wizards who have been working with this architecture for decades. There's 0 chance for either company to pull a fast one..and we're seeing that in this thread with Alberts post.

I guess some peoples opinion on Albert's statements being ripped apart as wrong need to ask themselves why they so blindly listen to what other people in power/authority say without asking why? We all have a brain, don't be a sheep. That goes for any situation in life.

You don't need to use someone else's opinion as fact, absorb/create your own.

...We've had a majority of technical users in this thread all challenge his post.

Andeeeh

Deep Down isn't looking that great, sorry.

Alright I get how good a game looks is subjective from person to person. That's all fine and dandy and obvious. But saying a game looks significantly downgraded from a CGI to real time graphics POV is ridiculous. Especially comparing screens and videos from a bunch of off screen footage vs direct.

Deep Down does look a bit worse then then its initial reveal, but no where near motorstorm levels.

nib95

Banned
Please tell me people didn't actually believe there'd be an additional discreet gpu? Who? Lol. Anyway, it's good he's put it to rest but absolutely insane that he even had to.

ypo

Hilarious this guys kept on saying how we shouldn't judge now because there are so many unknown components in both systems (to even him) yet he knows for sure the difference is overstated.

edit: just saw his crappy and misleading tech breakdown/analysis. Stick to PR at least you are decent at that.

VanWinkle

I know PS4 is more powerful, but I do think the XB1 has some advantages in some areas. but overall the PS4 is more powerful, I don't think any regular xbox fan on this site doubts this. It hasn't swayed my purchasing opinion, I'm excited to see what kinect can bring to the table.

Nothing wrong with wanting one console over the other regardless of power. Power shouldn't be that crucial of a factor into the console purchase. We are just saying Albert's post is full of misleading and inaccurate "facts".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom