• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's Radeon Navi Review Thread: Series 5700.

Leonidas

In a post conference interview (Can't remember which one), Lisa Su mentioned that if they do RT, it'll cover every range, not just high end.

Makes me wonder if everything rdna will have it in some form.

RDNA (Radeon 5000 series) lacks ray tracing hardware. Ray tracing hardware comes with Next-Gen RDNA (2020 or 2021).

Anyone who buys a first gen RDNA card (current 5000 series from AMD) will be left behind when next-gen begins next year.

Last edited:
With all the noise NV fans make about raytracing......I wonder why they don't do a benchmark with the 3 raytracing games they have and compare it against a Navi card at 1440p ultra settings without raytracing.....

So BFV, Metro and SOTTR at 1440p Ultra RTX on 2070S vs Ultra Settings at 1440p on Navi 5700XT....Record at 4k, highest bitrate, show the framerates whilst playing and tell people to choose...…..Let RTX impress persons....OR not....
Also, it's theorized that AMD is going for a different solution for RT. Bragging about the RTX's cards' RT capabilities will be moot if another RT solution ends up being the more preferred solution. I mean, it drags down the system's performance by a substantial margin.

Leonidas

Which would still be rt enabled

They could enable it, technically but who knows if they will. At this point nothing suggests that they will for the RX 5000 series, it would just make them look worse against RTX, since with the lack of hardware will cause the performance to suffer, like Pascal...

gspat

They could enable it, technically but who knows if they will. At this point nothing suggests that they will for the RX 5000 series, it would just make them look worse against RTX, since with the lack of hardware will cause the performance to suffer, like Pascal...
They'd enable it for the same reason it was enabled on the 10xx series... To make them look bad and hope you upgrade..

thelastword

Banned
Dude please @dark10x can you do this.
Better call Leadbetter instead, but I don't trust his graphs after his recent reviews.....He had some shady Witcher 3 results and had Ryzen losing in CSGO.....Then he uses a bunch of NV/Intel favored titles in his Ryzen and 5700 Navi reviews......

In any case, for a more somewhat trusted source...Tim from Hardware Unboxed is doing a roundup on all RTX games released so far with some updated takes from launch.....Should be interesting what he says about it all...

RDNA (Radeon 5000 series) lacks ray tracing hardware. Ray tracing hardware comes with Next-Gen RDNA (2020 or 2021).

Anyone who buys a first gen RDNA card (current 5000 series from AMD) will be left behind when next-gen begins next year.
You don't need raytracing hardware to do RT...….AMD's raytracing will require much less of a performance hit over Pascal, since they will be utilizing the CU's in their Vega and Navi cards for the feat......In that case, you will see better RT performance on Vega and Navi cards over Pascal.....In that scenario AMD still wins.....

When AMD delivers the better RT solution next year and when everybody is onboard, because AMD will dictate that with the consoles, NV will put it's tail between it's legs and adopt Radeon Rays or try to mimic AMD's technology...In the end AMD will shape that market, just like they won in the Freesync vs Gsync battle...….

RTX/.Super owners will look back at their 3 1080p RTX games and weep at their hot and bothered cards in a year, whilst properly researched and engineered AMD RTX cards play a bunch of new games with RT enabled including Metro, BFV, SOTTR on day 1, perhaps with even enhanced RT over RTX on Turing..... Only this time, they will play at their favored 1440p-4K resolutions at high framerates.....

Also, it's theorized that AMD is going for a different solution for RT. Bragging about the RTX's cards' RT capabilities will be moot if another RT solution ends up being the more preferred solution. I mean, it drags down the system's performance by a substantial margin.
Yes indeed, when RTX is actually viable in more than 3 games at better resolutions than 1080p with less butchered framerates...….The RTX cards which were purchased (at a high price, for the privilege) would be seen as the biggest scam and farce in modern day GPU history....

Ascend

I honestly dont understand enough about tech to say if he is right or wrong in this.

But i never heard of any other tech video saying anything close to this, plus every video of this guy is praising everything from AMD and criticizing everything from Nvidia.

He seems way too biased for AMD and against Nvidia for me to trust his opnion.
Well... Think about it this way... If the next gen consoles will have to do ray tracing, and we're expecting at least native 4K 30fps, preferably 4K 60 fps from the next gen consoles (since the current Xbox One X already is not far from that), seeing the results of the RTX cards, even the 2080 Ti which does 1080p 60fps with RTX on at best, do you really think that RTX is that viable to keep up with console performance with ray tracing on? Not only that, look at the die size of the RTX cards. The only way that ray tracing would be viable on consoles is if it is done in a way more efficient manner than it is being done now. Ray tracing will only take off when it is more efficient to use for certain effects than traditional rendering techniques. And remember that AMD also said “Utilization of ray tracing games will not proceed unless we can offer ray tracing in all product ranges from low end to high end,”. In what way can they offer ray tracing on the low end and have it be viable? We don't know exactly, but what we do know is that it's definitely not by going the RTX way. It's the reason nVidia didn't include it in their lower tier cards. So you have to ask how long the RTX approach really will remain relevant.

I wouldn't be surprised if ray tracing by AMD will be a combined implementation of GPU compute and their Ryzen processors which have a bunch of additional cores/threads that are currently not being utilized anyway. It isn't for nothing that their patent describes a hybrid solution rather than pure hardware. RTX will likely still accelerate it, but not be as fast, since it lacks the additional CPU acceleration. Read up on it again here;

If that is true, it would allow them to tackle both nVidia and Intel at the same time... But again, I would not base my purchasing decisions on ray tracing at all at this point. Not even while knowing the consoles will have it... At this point, buying a card for RTX is practically the same as buying a card for PhysX. Nice bonus, but ultimately a useless feature.

It's still kind of funny how ray tracing is now used as a selling point. But when it was concurrent async compute, the same argument was not used in favor of AMD. The exact same arguments like "there aren't games that use it", or that "it's stupid to pay for something if you don't know how much it will be used in the future", were used to justify not getting AMD, which are now being deliberately ignored to support RTX. But I guess when it's nVidia, suddenly those issues are no longer relevant and the perspective switches completely to justify getting nVidia...

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

Description:
"In this video, we mod the AMD RX 5700 XT with a hybrid cooling solution, powerplay tables for overclocking, and blast the power for higher scoring. "

Description:
"We watercooled the Radeon RX 5700 XT using the Special Edition EKWB Full Cover Waterblock... but how did it perform?"

This part was funny(should be timestamp 13:41)...

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
XFX's 5700XT AiB:
Custom-XFX-Radeon-RX-5700-XT-1.jpg
Custom-XFX-Radeon-RX-5700-XT-4.jpg

PowerColor: Custom 5700XT to start at $399
AMD's add-in board (AIB) partners are preparing to launch custom-design Radeon RX 5700-series graphics cards leading up to mid-August, 2019. Although it wouldn't take dates, PowerColor revealed that its custom-design Radeon RX 5700 XT cards would start at USD $399.
obslaSkupLOMT7SI.jpg

That XFX looks thick. It looks decent enough. PowerColor usually does good with their designs and they have good performance. It's encouraging news that there will be $399 models for the partner AiBs.

I'd like to see something like the Red Devil 2 or 3 fan cooling for $399 and $419 respectively for 5700 XT, and $350 and $369 for the 5700 Pro.
14-131-713-Z03.jpg
14-131-716-Z03.jpg

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Apart from the PHAT-F-X showings, there's also Yeston Custom Models.....

XFX

wzfP02r.jpg

dom7lIA.jpg

0lxNVV3.jpg

YESTON

d2AZkte.jpg

PHkSf9H.jpg

These YESTON cards will be very popular in Asia, especially the Female demographic...….That one with the cat shape looks like it will be imported a tonne…..In any case, we will know more about the Yeston Cards at ChinaJoy, which is Live Today....Most of the cards from all AIB's lands in two weeks....

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-5700-custom-graphics-xfx-and-yeston-spotted/

thelastword

Banned
More AIB Models.....

Asus Strix and TUF cards coming in mid August. PowerColor as well...

pL03NGA.jpg

Q0FzMxD.jpg

0jEcK6L.jpg

And for those thinking none of these cards will retail at MSRP......NOPE, There's good news....

DCFdeyb.jpg

Can't Wait to see PowerColor, Sapphire and MSI cards....

Also, I hope AIB models land day one on the 5800 and 5900 series.....

Kenpachii

Want too see reviews of those aib cards, because honestly the stock cards are trash. If they reduced the price on them maybe it would be interesting. however they need something high end. I hope they release something that pushes far past the 2080 ti for cheap now they have the ryzen momentum.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
A local store is selling for 420 euros the Asus 5700XT and I think I'm gonna bite and upgrade from a 970 XTX
Which ones exactly? The regular blower cards or the custom designed ones?

One can only hope. The ASUS cards are going to be disgustingly expensive though.
I never liked the ASUS design myself, notwithstanding, they had the worse Vega cards last gen......Personally I'm looking forward to Powercolor, Sapphire and MSI designs most....Prefer their aesthetics and they always have some nice software.....Love the Trixx Sapphire Software and of course Powercolor has some nice software too...

As for price, I don't think Asus can be too expensive over the others, because there will be lots of custom cards to choose from this time, many of them starting at $399 for the XT, so it's a different ballgame this time...

Aintitcool

Banned
Which ones exactly? The regular blower cards or the custom designed ones?

I never liked the ASUS design myself, notwithstanding, they had the worse Vega cards last gen......Personally I'm looking forward to Powercolor, Sapphire and MSI designs most....Prefer their aesthetics and they always have some nice software.....Love the Trixx Sapphire Software and of course Powercolor has some nice software too...

As for price, I don't think Asus can be too expensive over the others, because there will be lots of custom cards to choose from this time, many of them starting at $399 for the XT, so it's a different ballgame this time...

I don't think it's the custom cooler, just the the one with the bent. Thing is I have a universal cooler already that is silent and really cool. So I can just dismount it. Also in 1 week the price raised 20 euros already :messenger_sad_relieved:

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned

thelastword

Banned

I don't think it's the custom cooler, just the the one with the bent. Thing is I have a universal cooler already that is silent and really cool. So I can just dismount it. Also in 1 week the price raised 20 euros already :messenger_sad_relieved:
Didn't see where you said you had your own custom cooler....Wasn't there when I read your post.....In any case, if you can get a custom card for $399, should be a no brainer....Then you can decide if you want to ditch that and put your own solution....I think prices may have gone up because of demand/availability......There should be an influx of cards hitting the market on the 15th due to AIB's, so prices should stabilize to MSRP then....

psn

But where are they though? Most cards are expected to launch in 2-4 weeks, yet we dont know anything about the sapphire cards.
Still waiting for the Sapphire before I choose a 5700xt.

thelastword

Banned
But where are they though? Most cards are expected to launch in 2-4 weeks, yet we dont know anything about the sapphire cards.
Still waiting for the Sapphire before I choose a 5700xt.
The cards are landing from August the 15th onwards.......

-------

5700XT Extreme Overclock
vs 1080ti Extreme Overclock....

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT:
The cooling solution of the RX 5700 XT Pulse features an aluminium fin-stack heatsink that uses nickel-plated copper heat-pipes that make direct contact with the GPU at the base; we expect Sapphire to reserve exotic tech such as vapor-chambers for its premium Nitro products. The heatsink is ventilated by a pair of large (90-100 mm) fans. Since the card uses reference-design PCB (and the fan-interface that comes with it), we're not entirely sure if it offers idle fan-stop. Overclockers.uk has this card already listed at £428.99 including taxes, which is about £30 pricier than reference-design cards sold by it. -via TechPowerUp

35XNEanDt2QJfa2k.jpg
kY1XFZZ53vz6oaGI.jpg

GeyQn2KnbCSJQj82.jpg
DEzRyxBzToAGudeF.jpg

It looks cool, I really like the backplate.

Last edited:

manfestival

5700 XT at 2200 Mhz......vs a 2080 Super FE

$300 extra, never looked so good.... :messenger_smirking:….Sssoooo Justified...

Those numbers are pretty impressive! I have a regular 2080(not OC either) and I am pretty sure the OCed 5700xt may even be outperforming my card. My question is, is the OC a factory one or is this their doing and the numbers may vary because of that?

Maybe I just sell my 2080 and buy a 5700xt instead and pocket the change lol

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Those numbers are pretty impressive! I have a regular 2080(not OC either) and I am pretty sure the OCed 5700xt may even be outperforming my card. My question is, is the OC a factory one or is this their doing and the numbers may vary because of that?

Maybe I just sell my 2080 and buy a 5700xt instead and pocket the change lol
Yes, it's very impressive, though I think you will get even better mileage with AIB models with enhanced PCB's and VRM's..... and perhaps unlocked busses as well.... Who knows.....

But yes, these results are mighty impressive when you consider this is a $400 card giving you those results at 1440p and 4k........

Spyhood's 5700XT is the blower model OC'd, the 1080ti in the video is OC'd too.... As for the 2080, If you have an FE version from Nvidia, remember, this is already OC'd from their factories..... So that 251mm2 die is pushing lots of performance for its size and price........ I think a 351mm2 5800XT will easily match or beat a 2080ti.......At $699, such a card would be a slam dunk......

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Ascend Ascend

The PowerColor Red Devil has been my favorite so far. I'm curious what the Nitro will be like, although this Pulse shares some design characteristics with the previous Nitro.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
MSI 5700 XT Evoke Teaser:
Underneath it, MSI appears to be using a similar aluminium fin-stack heatsink to its Twin Frozr VII cooling solution, which uses four 6 mm-thick copper heat pipes t, and a single fin-stack that spans the entire length of the card.

It's not just the heatsink, even the two fans are similar 90 mm TorX spinners. The card offers idle fan-stop, a must-have especially for this GPU. Interestingly, underneath this custom cooling solution, our sources tell us that MSI is using AMD's reference-design PCB for the RX 5700-series, which draws power from a combination of 8-pin and 6-pin PCIe power connectors. -via TechPowerUp

4ruKgZ1fNspSpcOd.jpg
8t9Qt2xEcQjtRHlI.jpg

GB5tvYBpEY2mQOCo.jpg
bEOlhwGjSxx8B6Vs.jpg

It's funny that each of these photos is tagged by a different tech site...TPU, Guru3d, TweakTown, Igor's.

Shades of the XFX Thicc, and some Nvidia Founder's Editions.

---

PowerColor Red Devil 5700 XT "launching" August 13th:
We have received the first picture of the upcoming Navi-based Red Devil graphics card’s packaging. The card is a triple-slot and triple-fan design with a pair of 8-pin power connectors.

The RX 5700 XT Red Devil will be PowerColor’s first RGB-capable graphics card. From what I have been told you will be able to configure the colors of the Red Devil logos on the side and on the back. -via VideoCardz
PowerColor-RX-5700-XT-Red-Devil-5.jpg
PowerColor-RX-5700-XT-Red-Devil-4.jpg

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
7nm vs 12nm. Embarrassing.
Your comment is embarrasing.

Do you check your chips with microscope?

If not, then only thing that matters is performance/price ratio + how well they work.

AMD doesnt even compete on the highest end category, so only NVIDIA fanboys can turn this into a bad thing lol.

Ascend

If not, then only thing that matters is performance/price ratio + how well they work.

AMD doesnt even compete on the highest end category, so only NVIDIA fanboys can turn this into a bad thing lol.
In light of that....

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
ASUS ROG Strix 5700 XT Review Kit Preview:
The ASUS ROG STRIX RX 5700 XT features Navi 10 GPU clocked at 1840 MHz (base), 1965 MHz (game) and 2035 MHz (boost).

The card is 2.7-slot design and features 11+3 VRM phase design. The card is equipped with dual BIOS and it will matter which BIOS you are running. There are two options: Performance Mode and Quiet Mode. It appears that they only affect fan curvature, but this will undoubtedly affect real-world clock speeds as well. -Via VideoCardz
They stated it's about 4.7% faster than reference in their benchmark test. Dual BIOS with onboard switch, newer fan design with better airflow, and idle fan stop feature.

Thermals:

Acoustics:

That's quite an improvement over the reference blower. PowerColor usually does a great job with their cooling(PCS+, Red Devil), so I'd expect something similar to these Strix results, but at a better price point. We'll see, though.

Last edited:
ASUS ROG Strix 5700 XT Review Kit Preview:

They stated it's about 4.7% faster than reference in their benchmark test. Dual BIOS with onboard switch, newer fan design with better airflow, and idle fan stop feature.

Thermals:

Acoustics:

That's quite an improvement over the reference blower. PowerColor usually does a great job with their cooling(PCS+, Red Devil), so I'd expect something similar to these Strix results, but at a better price point. We'll see, though.

that neither how centigrade nor db scale works :messenger_tears_of_joy:

are these comments on the slides by videocardz or asus? no matter what, both would be hilarious.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Sapphire Pulse

8DmPrLi.jpg

Power Color Red Devil (Launch Date 13th August)
6MKQCdo.jpg

5700XT Extreme OC (2200Mhz) vs RTX 2080 Extreme OC (2100Mhz) with 9900k @ 5.0Ghz

psn

The Red Devil from Powercolor will arrive on the 15th of August instead of the 13th because of a Typhoon.

Really looking forward to this and the Sapphire Nitro.

My comment is not embarrassing. Radeon Technology Group and their little mouthpieces are.

As a consumer... sure buy what ever is better for you at the time... but as an enthusiast who follows technology and already has a card that shits on anything AMD has... then yes.. I tend to look at it from a technological point of view.

AMD is late to the party. They have the superior process technology. They're coming almost a year later... and they are just barely competitive... and don't even support hardware acceleration of the latest rendering technologies.

Sorry... but that's embarrassing. AMD is going to get embarrassed when Nvidia decides to release their 7nm GPU, regardless of whether it's 7nm Turing, or Ampere.

That's just an honest point of view from someone that wishes AMD would actually compete with Nvidia.... when it really matters... not a year+ later.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Asus Strix 5700 XT TechPowerUp and Guru3d reviews are up. Price still unknown, but speculated to be ~$439. Strix is about 5% faster than reference. TPU showed it at 77°C under load, while the reference was at 92°C. Card features idle fan stop and dual-bios. Both BIOS options have idle fan stop on Strix 5700 XT, while reference idle noise levels are at 27dBA. Strix 5700 XT noise levels are at 32dBA(Quiet Bios) and 36dBA(OC), while reference is 43dBA. TPU max OC was 2086MHz with ~2031MHz average core clock, 950MHz(15200MHz effective) memory. Guru3d hit 2150MHz max and ~2100MHz average core, same 950MHz memory limit.

TPU PCB comparison:
Reference:
front.jpg

Asus Strix:
front.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom