• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Americans eat too much salt (surprise), CDC survey finds source of sodium (surprise!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevDM

Banned
AMA Morning Rounds

CDC survey finds bread is top source of sodium in US diet.
ABC World News (2/7, story 7, 0:35, Sawyer) reported that "the Center for Diseases Control said nine out of ten adults eat too much salt. And the number one source of their salt is a surprise -- bread and rolls."

The CBS Evening News (2/7, story 9, 0:20, Pelley) reported, "The Centers for Disease Control said today that salty snacks like potato chips are not our biggest source of sodium."

NBC Nightly News (2/7, story 8, 2:25, Williams) reported that CDC Director Thomas Frieden, MD, said, "We're eating more food made by others, in restaurants or prepared food from grocery stores. And when other people make food for us, they put a lot more salt in it." NBC's Costello added, "More fruits, veggies and home cooking are the solution, says the CDC."

The AP (2/8, Stobbe) reports, "Bread and rolls are the No. 1 source of salt in the American diet, accounting for more than twice as much sodium as salty junk food like potato chips. That surprising finding comes in a government report released Tuesday that includes a list of the top 10 sources of sodium." CDC officials "are encouraging consumers to read labels and, for example, buy brands of bread that have lower sodium." CDC Director Frieden noted, "Potato chips, pretzels, and popcorn -- which we think of as the saltiest foods in our diet -- are only No. 10."

"Most sodium in the US diet comes from bread, lunch meat, pizza, chicken, soup, and burgers, the CDC found," according to the National Journal (2/8, Fox, Subscription Publication). In a statement, CDC Director Frieden said, "We're encouraged that some food manufacturers are already taking steps to reduce sodium," noting that manufacturers such as Kraft and Leprino Foods are "actively working on providing customers and consumers with healthier options."

The NPR (2/8, Barclay) "The Salt" blog reports, "According to the CDC, the average American consumes about 3,300 milligrams of sodium per day, not including any salt that may be added during a meal. ... The US Dietary Guidelines recommend no more than 2,300 mg a day, except if you're over 51 years or African American or have high blood pressure, diabetes or chronic kidney disease."

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (2/8, Jeffries) lists the "10 types of foods are responsible for more than 40 percent of people's sodium intake," according to the CDC list. The foods are "breads and rolls; luncheon meat, such as deli ham or turkey; pizza; poultry; soups; cheeseburgers and other sandwiches; cheese; pasta dishes; meat dishes such as meat loaf; and snack foods such as potato chips, pretzels and popcorn." The Journal-Constitution points out that "breads and rolls aren't saltier than many of the other foods on the CDC list, but people tend to eat a lot of them," which makes them the cop source of salt in the diet
MedPage Today (2/8, Fiore) notes, "The data come from the 'What We Eat in America' portion of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2007-2008. NHANES is a survey that relies on self-reported data, a fact that may introduce bias and also raises questions about the generalizability of its findings." The study is published in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. CQ (2/8, Subscription Publication) and the Los Angeles Times (2/8, Muskal) "Nation Now" blog also cover the story.

Definitely came as surprise to me. I always assumed that most of the salt came from prepared/frozen foods.

Volimar

Yeah, I was expecting snacks or soups/prepackaged meals to be the culprit...

Interesting news. Thanks OP. I try to cut down on my intake, but yeah, I need my bread.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
BreakMakesYouFat...BREADMAKESYOUFAT?!.gif

I can't fathom how Americans can be addicted to the uniform crap Americans refer to as bread..

This is bread:

aLRrQ.jpg

lUhi3.jpg

QH8Pb.jpg

/edit
thx. haven't seen that for a while :D

I thought it was pretty well known that surface salt from "salty" foods wasn't the main contributor to high sodium - it's all the "hidden" salt.

Kosmo

Banned
It's not bread, pizza, lunch meat or canned soups. It's TOO MUCH bread, lunch meat, pizza, and canned soups.

Is this true for loaves of bread on the whole or would something like 100% wheat bread have less salt? I've always heard that white bread barely qualifies as food.

Stet

Banned
I can't fathom how Americans can be addicted to the uniform crap Americans refer to as bread..

This is bread:

aLRrQ.jpg

lUhi3.jpg

QH8Pb.jpg

/edit

All of that bread has a lot of salt in it too. This article is misleading because it makes it sound like bread has SUDDENLY gotten a higher salt content, but that's not what's shocking. What's shocking is how much bread Americans are eating. There's a lot of salt in French bread too, but even though they eat it at every meal, they STILL don't eat as much as the average U.S. resident.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Because none of us silly Americans have ever seen bread like that before ever.

Based on personal experience the average bread selection available to most American's doesn't even come close to what your average (in my specific experience) German has access to at their local market. Even our "french" bread tends to be thick and fluffy. Its not impossible but its certainly more difficult to find a good hard bread.

Based on personal experience the average bread selection available to most American's doesn't even come close to what your average (in my specific experience) German has access to at their local market. Even our "french" bread tends to be thick and fluffy. Its not impossible but its certainly more difficult to find a good hard bread.

Wat? Those pictures looked like the average bakery department of every single supermarket I've ever been to.

I buy sliced bread for lunches, but typically it is double protein/double fiber whole wheat. I don't actually know any adults that eat white bread, just kids. Maybe it's because of my income demographic.

entremet

This is bread:

aLRrQ.jpg

lUhi3.jpg

QH8Pb.jpg

/edit

We have that here to. Love the smugness though. I think bread is garbage nutritionally, so I rarely consume it.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

This is bread:

aLRrQ.jpg

lUhi3.jpg

QH8Pb.jpg

/edit

Someone should make a megathread: Americans don't have access to any of these real foods! and include people making general statements about all of america and their bread, cheese, beer, wine, chocolate, and all the other shitty generalizations that people feel the need to bring up in unrelated threads.

Didn't we have an article on here a couple months ago that argued how consuming relatively large amounts of salt wasn't that big of a deal?

Someone should make a megathread: Americans don't have access to any of these real foods! and include people making general statements about all of america and their bread, cheese, beer, wine, chocolate, and all the other shitty generalizations that people feel the need to bring up in unrelated threads.

After touring through the US' western states last summer, I can confirm that the daily hunt for decent bread was a recurring problem. Most of it is the most vile and utterly terrible fabricated garbage.

We have that here to. Love the smugness though. I think bread is garbage nutritionally, so I rarely consume it.

If by "here" you mean a very small portion of the country, then yes, I agree. If your town has 1 bakery, it's a feature and you should consider yourself lucky. Oh, and most likely that 1 bakery is struggling to stay in business.

America buys the cheap shitty super-preserved supermarket aisle bread, not bread like you quoted that actually goes bad in a day. To say otherwise is to be insincere.

I was actually meaning to quote this before replying with the pic flurry:
I'm not giving up my bread.
Also I'm still a bit mad about my semester abroad in Norcal & having to get by without good bread options. As other ppl. have mentioned even the "other kind" of bread in US is still not good. Apart from the fact that you have to go/drive an extra mile to get it (I'm thinking of Panera)...but even there...it's still not the real thing :(
French, Swiss, Germans exch. students...everyone agreed.
As for the sodium in bread. I have no idea - the whole sodium craze is yet to sweep over to Europe. Maybe it's not bad relevant for us because generally eat less processed food? Dunno.

btw. It's a christian tradition to welcome ppl. with bread & salt (I guess more common in Eastern Europe): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_salt

6ZAAK.jpg

Steelrain

After touring through the US' western states last summer, I can confirm that the daily hunt for decent bread was a recurring problem. Most of it is the most vile and utterly terrible fabricated garbage.

You must have literally avoided the supermarket bakery in every place you went to.

Steelrain

If by "here" you mean a very small portion of the country, then yes, I agree. If your town has 1 bakery, it's a feature and you should consider yourself lucky. Oh, and most likely that 1 bakery is struggling to stay in business.

America buys the cheap shitty super-preserved supermarket aisle bread, not bread like you quoted that actually goes bad in a day. To say otherwise is to be insincere.

Not really. You must literally live in bumfuck, nowhere if you only have one bakery.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Didn't we have an article on here a couple months ago that argued how consuming relatively large amounts of salt wasn't that big of a deal?

How about you listen to americans when they tell you it isn't that true? Or do you like Americans making sweeping statements about your country based on a visit?

Western states huh? Thinking of the Seattle area I can think of at least a dozon local bakeries, some of which deliver to every grocery store in the region daily. It is not hard to find quality bread.

The Wegmans near me has some nice bread, and it's not even a tiny mom and pop bakery which we have plenty of around here too. And I live in tiny ass Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. We have fucking bread.

Now, most people DO eat the generally cruddy white sliced stuff, but that's because it's cheap as shit and works well for packed lunches and grilled cheese sandwiches. And we eat so much of it because of that god damned food pyramid.

Because none of us silly Americans have ever seen bread like that before ever.

I like plenty of foods here, but if there is one thing I will almost never lay down arms about, is how average american bread is, even when considering those imaginary amazing indie bakeries people rave about (which 9 out of 10 times are disappointing, though they are of course better than the industrial shit).

Also, san francisco sourdough, and sourdough in general, is the devil

ITT I learned that no supermarkets have instore bakeries

Darklord

Banned
Is salt really that bad compared to fat, carbs or sugar? I rarely even take note of it. Though I don't eat things like chips or popcorn or any of that.

uh, if I go to any grocery store in chicago, I can get a bunch of different kinds of good bread. There are about a hundred different kinds of bread at trader joe's also. I can't remember the last time I had wonder bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom